Start by marking “How to See” as Want to Read:
How to See

How to See

(Mindfulness Essentials #7)

Learn to truly see yourself. Understand who you are and the world around you.

How to See is about our misperceptions, how we can gain insight and how mindfulness practices can help us see our real selves. Thich Nhat Hanh brings his signature clarity, compassion and humour in showing us how to achieve an awakened, more relaxed state of self-awareness.

This is a perfect pocket
Published July 30th 2019 by Parallax Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about How to See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to See

Start your review of How to See
Jae
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until we look deeply into reality and discover its true nature of impermanence and interconnectedness, we will continue to be fooled by signs. When we transcend signs, notions, and ideas, we are in touch with the ultimate reality. We need to see through the outer form to be in touch with the substance. When we’re no longer deceived by signs, our perceptions become insight.
Eric Beheler
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-books
A Book That Makes You Want To Get Out Of Bed Early Just So You Can Read It And Drink Coffee As The Sun Comes Up! 😀🧘‍♂️😁😎

I seriously enjoyed waking up at 4:15 everyday this week! And it's just because I knew after my morning jog or bike ride I could sit on the porch as the sun comes up and sip on an espresso and read this wonderful guide!

I waited for about two months for this hold to come in, and it was so worth it!

This book is tiny, and if you wanted to you can read it all in one afternoon. But
Heather
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When you drink your tea mindfully, you know you are drinking a cloud."
Virginia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think anyone could benefit from reading this book. I always thought that “mindfulness” was a kind of hokey idea and I didn’t want to do it because my own mind seemed to be mostly fear, anxiety, and doubt. It seemed to me that really focusing on these feelings made them stronger and me weaker. This book encourages us to “look deeper” so that we can understand the true nature of what makes us fearful, so that we may let go of that fear. There’s also a lot of insight into love, communication, per ...more
Eugene Pustoshkin
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
It is a great and lucid book, a series of short meditations on various topics related to awareness, mindfulness, and meditation.
Annie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series because they are short yet powerful reads.
A few of my favorite quotes:
"When our mind is not calm, we do not see clearly."

"When you drink your tea mindfully, you know you are drinking a cloud—"

"We cannot force people to practice mindfulness, but if we practice mindfulness ourselves and become happier people, we can inspire others to practice."

"If you know how to sit stably and follow your in- and out- breath, then after some time you become peaceful and clear,"

"Breathing in,
Femi Murphy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What We See Isn’t Just About Our Eyes

This book took ideas that really weren’t that complicated and made them eye-opening! It will definitely be a repeated read to truly grasp the concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
This is a deceptively quick read that bears rereading and reflection. Passages and chapters that at first blush sound platitudinous resonate more deeply with each repeat encounter.
Cora
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much needed reminders for a happier life.
صفية
Everytime I read one of his books, I get yet a new way to grasp reality and get closer to mindfulness.

Doing one thing at a time and focusing on it has helped me untangle my worries and anxieties. No matter how many books you read about the Now, the Present, الصوفي ابن الوقت, I think that having a minimalist guide like this one is very helpful indeed.

Just like his other two books : How to Love and How to Fight, mindfulness in this one is more about our perceptions, and how it affects our realit
Anita
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backstory: I saw several books in this series at Moms grocery store and could not resist, although I borrowed from the library rather than buying. This was the second one I’ve read after “how to eat” and I hope to get through them all (I still have to read sit, love, fight, relax, walk, connect) and then decide which ones to purchase.

This one was focused on perceptions and misperceptions and the erroneous paths we can be led upon.

Not as cohesive in my opinion as “How to Eat” which is so far my f
Sidnie
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming little book about being in the present and remembering that all things are both made up of a bunch of small parts, and completely interconnected.
Mary Beth
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very simple, down-to-earth book on mindfulness. It is centered around discussing how our perceptions shape the way we see the world, but how what we perceive is not necessarily reality.

I checked this out from the library as an ebook, but it would be worth owning a hard copy in order to return to for little meditations or mindful moments.
Heather
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brief mindfulness essays packaged in a sweet, tiny book. See longer works for a heftier dose.
kat
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, Educational

Very insightful, and relaxing to read.The lessons were easy to do any where you may be. Just take a moment of your day to ground yourself in a quite atmosphere and feel the difference.
Heather Larcombe
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thicker reading than some of the earlier books in the series. He's bringing in more Buddhist theology as he gets deeper in the series.
Nicolette
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After trying to start this on a different day, I found myself able to sink into this on a quiet Sunday morning. It demands the right mood for you to be able to read and truly listen to it resonate. Learned that there is a full series and I'll be ordering this and giving each mindfulness part of the collection a read. Below are highlights:

"Impermanence means transformation at every moment."

"We need to continue expanding the boundaries of our understanding or we will be imprisoned by our views."

"
Penny
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book of short teaching stories, reflections and meditations on ways we might identify and challenge our own perceptions so that we are less driven by them and judgmental of others. I particularly like the sections on terrorism and the environment, two timely issues it is helpful to have Thich Nhat Hanh provide guidance on.

He asks us to consider, "What would it take for us to be able to reach out to those who have terrorized us and say, 'You must have suffered deeply. You must have a lot of ha
Matthew Getter
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A short reflection on ourselves and what it truly means to see. Having now read four other books in the series, what struck me most was how these books, in combination with other spirituality books I’ve recently read, mirror each other via content and practices. It’s not so important that you remember every small detail but allow the seeds that do take root to flourish within yourself. In this book, Thich Nhat Hahn discusses seeing deeply to understand the interconnectedness of all things. It is ...more
John Chevalier
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the early stages of exploring Buddhism(at least the way I figure it). I found that this book restates and puts down more succinctly many ideas and notions that I've already stumbled upon on my own in my search for ways to cope with a "human" world. That the book says so much of what I'd already come to more crudely understand isnt a criticism. It's really fulfilling in a way to read something like this and say to yourself, "Yeah! Exactly! That's a much clearer way of putting it." When thi ...more
Alin-Mihai
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-real-book
An interesting book but in order to truly understand and feel it one needs to be more grounded. As I am now, the stories and advice, in many chapters, flew over me. The book requires re-reading to firmly ground the wisdom it shares.
Ridgewalker
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it in a 'daily meditations' format which it lends itself to quite well. The practice meditations at the end are excellent. I love Thich That Hanh's books. His compassion and warmth always draw me in.
Kara
2019 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge: A book written by an author from Asia, Africa, or South America
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need more of this in my life.
Dara
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A little book on mindfulness. Some nice meditations at end.
Mala
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, mindfulness concepts that allow you to see a whole new world
Dieu
This book contains many nuggets of wisdom written in concise individual paragraphs, typically 1-2 per page. Although short, this book is not meant to be read through in one sitting. I’d recommend meditating on each paragraph before moving onto the next. I enjoyed the short stories here and there in the book. I took one star off because some of it felt repetitive which now, upon reflection, may actually be the point. I’m unsure if it was state of mind but the middle of the book was better than th ...more
Melanie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mindfulness
My fave passage, pg. 64

Our idea of happiness

We have an idea of happiness. We may believe that only certain conditions will make us happy. But it is often our very idea of happiness that prevents us from being happy. The conditions for happiness are already there, abailable inside and around us. We have eyes that can see, legs that can walk, lungs that can breathe. All the wonders of life are available in the present moment - the sunshine, the fresh air, the trees, the multitude of colors and for
Sieara DeLone
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful 2020 Read

I love how this book touches on injustice and changing the way we exist together by changing how we personally see things. That’s extremely powerful. There’s some things I maybe need clarity on or didn’t 100% agree with but I wouldn’t say that I dislike them about the book. I recommend this book to everyone honestly, those who have prejudices and those who feel discriminated against. I rated this book a 5 because of the power it has. It is really good information, especially am
Jim Lavis
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Thich Nhat Hanh and have read at least 30 of his books, but this book is not even a book. It's a collection of very, very, short essays that have absolutely no depth to them at all. The positive reviews must be fake and that sad. You would hope you could trust a book coming from or associated with Thich Nhat Hanh. Don't waste your money.

• The Truth About Magic
  • Red at the Bone
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • To My Daughter, With Love
  • Christmas Ideals 2018
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Letters From An Astrophysicist
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Vibrate Higher Daily: Live Your Power
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • Emotional Intelligence : Improve Your EQ For Business And Relationships | Unleash The Empath In You
  • This is Monet
  • The Wonder Down Under: A User's Guide to the Vagina
  • Ajaran Marx atau Kepintaran Sang Murid Membeo?
  • The Library of Unrequited Love
  • League of Archers (League of Archers #1)

Mindfulness Essentials (8 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)
  • How to Fight
  • How to Connect (Mindfulness Essentials Book 8)