Start by marking “There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed” as Want to Read:
There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed

There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed

(Dark Corners Collection #3)

The thrill of a sleepover becomes sheer terror as kids voice their greatest fears into existence in this cheeky, vividly cinematic tale by New York Times bestselling author Edgar Cantero. Lights out.

It’s bad enough that its venom-dripping chelicerae can slice through flesh like warm butter. Worse? It’s right there under the bunk. It’s a fact now. To make it through the

Published September 27th 2018 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed

Start your review of There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
Sandra
Strange short story for children about some kids having a sleepover, and while they are in their bunk beds they think a large trapdoor spider is under the bottom bunk.

I didn't care for this story at all, I didn't even understand most of it. My least favorite so far in the Amazon "Dark Corners" collection.
karen
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
i loved the beginning of this. i loved the trepidation of, "wait, what?? is this really happening??" and all its goofy-spookiness. but then its goofy began to outweigh its spooky -- which would ordinarily be fine; cantero's brand of goofy is just what i like, but it started going somewhere i couldn't follow. i don't know if you need to have read (or seen) any harry potterses to best understand/appreciate this story, but i have neither read nor seen, although i ate some harry potter jelly beans ...more
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: There's always something under the bed.
Main Monster: Maybe it's Pennywise in that spider body.
Plot Twisty-ness: Schrodinger's monsters.

While I didn't really LOVE Meddling Kids by Cantero the way I wanted to, I can tell that given the right circumstances, I could really be a fan of his, because I do enjoy his writing style.

He writes stories with a whimsical combination of goofy and horror that reminds me of why I love this genre - there is so much room to
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | Empathy Shouldn't Be That Hard To Understand, People.
I went into this story having read some of Edgar Cantero's other work, and so I had a rough idea of what I was in for. I was right. He does a near perfect mix of silly and serious that absolutely delights and brings back strong memories of childhood.

I loved the set up. The story kicks into gear immediately. (A good thing considering its only 24 pages long.) I felt like I was right there with the kids as everything was going sideways for them.

And the ending? Offbeat, unexpected, and perfect.

Varun
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A very tough read. A few children play around the bed with pillows, flashlights, wardrobe doors and what not. While they are imagining spiders, mirrors and anti-matter etc. Thankfully it was a short one.

My exact reactions while reading the book:
description
Bonnie
I don't even understand what that was even about.
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed by Edgar Cantero and narrated by Amy Landon is a fun audible about kids having a sleepover then things start happening. Is it their imagination or is it real? Loads of creativity! Enjoyed it a lot and the narration was terrific!
Rita
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids are scary

I liked the imagination used in this story. A group of kids telling scary stories at a sleepover, with the stories becoming all too real.
Shaina
This was cute. I’m not sure how old the “kids” in it were. It was a very unusual thing. Was it their imaginations or was it real?
Juli
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm familiar with Edgar Cantero's writing. His book Meddling Kids has a permanent spot on my keeper shelf. So I was totally excited to listen to this short story. And Cantero did not disappoint!

Remember sleep overs as a kid? Not the teenaged ones with whispered confessions about boys/girls or comparisons of puberty progress....but the younger, first experiences when imagination games powered the evening's fun. And The Rules that everyone knew you had to follow.... Don't let your feet dangle over
Ginger
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved how this started. A sleepover, we tell each other spooky stories but this time the stories are real.
I felt the old nostalgic fear of touching the floor lest my feet be burnt off (c'mon the floor is laaaava!). It had me speed reading to see what additional trouble they could bring down upon themselves and how they might possibly get out of it.

I got lost in the end though. I was sad to see HP references peppered throughout this spooky story taking me entirely out of the thrill. Are we in
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dark Corners series is published by Amazon Original Stories just in time to be creeped out during the Halloween season! It's a collection of short stories by several well known authors and I decided to start with this story because I'm a huge fan of Edgar Cantero (Meddling Kids, This Body's Not Big Enough for Both of Us).

There's A Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed took me right back to childhood: the delicious thrill of acting out a dangerous story and making up the rules as you go along.
Andy Kristensen
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This short story is so ridiculous in so many aspects that I don’t even know where to start. The plot is somehow simple but extremely convoluted at the same time, none of the characters are likable, the author apparently seems to be skewering the PC-ness of today by having young children say things like “woke,” “hashtag,” and “safe space,” none of them sounding natural in the process, and then throws in a try-too-hard twist at the end in regards to one character loving another. This story is such ...more
Blair
A bunch of Harry Potter-loving kids (or maybe teens?) have a sleepover and make up a series of horrors, which their imaginations may or may not be bringing to life for real. I struggled to get to grips with/concentrate on this properly because such a lot of things are unclear: the age of the characters, the relationships between them, the context of this particular series of events... It feels like a scene cut from something bigger, not a self-contained story. I was also unsure what the Harry ...more
Jake Miller
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
BOO! Hiya, everybody. Amazon recently released their Dark Corner collection, a series of 7 short stories and novellas, free for Prime members (through their borrowing program, Prime Reading). I got an email from Amazon and immediately downloaded them because, as I've discussed before, I love getting the heebie jeebies and I love a bargain or a freebie.

I decided to attach this review to this specific short story because it was the last one I read in the series and I would give the collection as a
Bradley (AudioShelf)
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Whattttttt did I just listen to?? First of all, the narrator of this audiobook sounded like she was a surfer dude, not adolescent boys having a sleepover. They also both sounded exactly the same.

Second of all, I actually have no clue how old these kids were—that’s never discussed. But their imaginations make it seem like they are 8 or 9. I can’t believe a preteen or older would make up a “giant trap door spider under the bed” and actually believe it enough to have an adventure with your best
Andrea Trenary
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Audiobook.

This was 100% not for me.
Didn't like it.
L. McCoy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
So the third book in the series of standalone horror stories free for prime users, Dark Corners (or as I’m calling it Amazon Horror Story) is the weakest so far.

What’s it about?
Despite being a standalone book I would actually have to spoil things from this book in order to fully explain it so I’ll skip that.

Pros:
This book is pretty intense and exciting throughout.
The way this book is written makes it very suspenseful.
There’s a bit of political humor and it actually made me laugh. I think that
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was only a 50 minute audiobook but it felt longer, even sped up. There was too many references to Harry Potter in a faux-hip manner that tried too hard to be cool, despite kids not actually talking like this. The overall plot was cool, but honestly could have used more coherent characters.
Ashleigh
What. Was. This. Story???

This is by far my least favourite book in the Dark Corners collection so far (at time of writing, this is my 3rd book in the series). I just didn't understand it and as someone who actively hates spiders, I don't enjoy reading about 6ft spiders lying underneath beds.

This novella did leave me wondering if Edgar Cantero is a fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast. Rina, one of the female characters, has a line about her dress not having pockets, thank you patriarchy and I
Quentin Wallace
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

This was okay but really it didn't make any sense. It's a kids sleepover, and magical, but terrible things keep happening and we're never really sure why. (view spoiler)

Not really scary but entertaining.
Jason Smith
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Awful.
Aaron Bellamy
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I remember being one of these kids. I remember actually believing there were piranha in the pool, and getting out as fast as I could in a complete panic. And I miss that feeling, being legitimately terrified by something I myself was making up.

This story takes you back to those moments and is delightful at the start, but bogs down before the end. The rules start to become over complicated and the threats hard to follow. My suspension of disbelief strained. My adulthood crept in. And I enjoyed
Mike
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, shortstories
Wasn't sure what to expect from the Dark Corners series of free books from Amazon. The reader is dropped into the middle of a sleepover, where Harry Potter fans imagine odd horrors (like a giant spider under the bed) and then try to avoid them. Whether this was all in their imagination or not is unclear at the end of this otherwise lackluster story.
Stacy Croushorn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This is for kids.

Not scary. It’s all about a sleepover where kids are playing silly make believe games and whatnot. Let your younger sibling read.
Maxine Livingstone
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
This length book is 24 pages and took me nearly all night to read. Maybe because I was sleepy as fuck and couldn't really focus onto the story. This book could be more targeted to younger children especially if they have read Harry Potter since there is a lot of reference to HP. This wasn't scary nor was there any type of twist to it to add to creepy factor. It's just mostly about 4 children age not specified having a sleep over when their over active imagination takes things to the extreme. ...more
Melike
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one didn't work for me at all.
Cassie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. "Spider" started off really well with a cool concept -- the idea that horrible, terrifying things can be merely spoken into existence. It had me a bit off balance in a good way at the beginning, and I loved the Harry Potter references. But somewhere along the way, the concept stopped being cool and instead became too...I don't know, zany and kind of confusing. Like how old were these kids supposed to be? Because some of their conversations hinted at them being teenagers, but then the ...more
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
I really did not like this, which was super disappointing. I have MEDDLING KIDS by the author, and although I haven't read it, I'd heard good things, so when I saw that the Amazon DARK CORNERS series had something by Cantero, I was psyched. Potential spoilers below, so read at your own risk!

I get that this short story is told from a kid's perspective, with all the scares and fun and adventure of a child's imagination being the driving force behind everything happening. I loved this aspect of the
Autumn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was another one of the stories that was from the Dark Corners Collection that I had downloaded. For a short story and the plot I would say this would be a good evening read for the middle age children. It isn't scary but yet just the thought of what creeps under your bed at night kind of sets that creepy factor into play.

As I started reading I kept wondering what the heck why would a spider be under the bed? Then as the story progressed and we got to the end it all made perfect sense. Oh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• At the Bottom of New Lake (Warmer collection)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Falls the Shadow (Warmer collection)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • The Gun King (Southside collection)
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • Controller
  • Boca Raton
  • Payback (Southside collection)
  • The Hillside (Warmer collection)
  • There's No Place Like Home (Warmer Collection #4)
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer Collection #1)
  • The Waiting Room (Southside collection)
  • The Hustle of Kim Foxx (Southside collection)
  • Eleanor (The Fairer Sex collection 7)
  • Lauren (The Fairer Sex collection 6)
Updates & more here!

Edgar is a writer and cartoonist from Barcelona. Once a promising author in the local scene with his awarded 2007 debut Dormir amb Winona Ryder, the highbrow Catalan literary tradition soon lost influence on him in favor of Hollywood blockbusters, videogames, and mass-market paperbacks. The punk dystopian thriller Vallvi (2011) was his last book in Catalan before switching

Dark Corners Collection (8 books)
  • Hannah-Beast