Start by marking “If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)

If She Knew

(Kate Wise Mystery #1)

55 year old empty nester—and freshly retired FBI agent—Kate Wise finds herself drawn out of her quiet suburban life when her friend’s daughter is murdered in a home invasion—and she is implored to help.

Kate thought she left the FBI behind after 30 years as their top agent, respected for her brilliant mind, tough street skills and her uncanny ability to hunt down serial
Published August 27th 2018 (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about If She Knew, please sign up.
Pam I personally like this series. True, there are some things that I would do differently just like when I watch something on TV and say "you've got to…moreI personally like this series. True, there are some things that I would do differently just like when I watch something on TV and say "you've got to be kidding" or "what were you thinking". If you enjoy thrillers that bring you normal people who aren't perfect but are normally intelligent, pick this one up again. I like how she and her partner work together to uncover the killer. I understand your point, though.(less)
Pam I like the series, but I can't agree with her personal choices. I understand, but in my personal life, I love that I had a chance to retire around…moreI like the series, but I can't agree with her personal choices. I understand, but in my personal life, I love that I had a chance to retire around that age, spend time with my also retired husband and my grown children, and pick what social life I wanted. There are those, though, like this character who feel the need to be more and can't deal with retirement.(less)

Start your review of If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
Kathryn
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sorry to say, I wish this had been a library read rather than a Nook purchase. I really found it to be formulaic and basic. It's an easy read and would be okay for a beach read or something quick but there's not much to sink my teeth into and I'm not really interested in reading any further books in the series.
Ellie Carlisle
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was not that good. Needed editing badly. I got very very tired reading about Kate, her retirement and what an absolutely fantastic FBI agent she was. The murderer was a total disappointment. Author could have done much better. Will not read this author again. Thank goodness it was freebie.
Albert Riehle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really bad. It is unbelievably, inconceivably, earth-shatteringly bad. This is a terrible, terrible book. It's poorly written, poorly researched, poorly executed, poorly edited and since I chose to try the audio-book format, it's important to say that it's poorly narrated (but more on that later).

I'm not going to trash a book this emphatically and fail to give you some reasons why--fortunately, I have plenty to choose from.

A lot of books in this genre, to some extent, follow a
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star read.

I wasn't quite sure about this one as I wasn't clicking with the main character Kate Wise in the beginning, but I'm glad I persevered.
This ended up being an entertaining read with a look at a retired FBI agent who is drawn back into the fold when a friend's daughter is murdered. Plus who doesn't love a 55yo who can kick the arse of more than a few douches!
PamG
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blake Pierce writes several different mystery/thriller series and this new to me series did not let me down. However, there are a few things that are somewhat unbelievable that occur as part of the police and FBI investigation. I also felt that the ending should have been extended to include more of the interrogation and evidence collection. There were a few editing problems in the kindle version that I read.

Overall, the plot was good. The book did start a little slowly, but it ramped up speed
Bethany Luck-Hutson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing writing, predictable story

I was hoping to like this author, but was very disappointed with the wiring. Exposition relief on telling instead of showing. It seemed juvenile. Also, I'm not sure of the author's gender, but Pierce used every possible cliche in the depiction of Kate Wise. And the story itself was extremely predicable. I've read it before, and it's been written much better by other authors.
Linda
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how this book has 4.27 stars. It reads like a 6th grader wrote it.
Angel Graham
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-books
Did you know Kate Wise is retired from the FBI? Now you do, if you haven't read the book, you don't know this. If you have read the book, you were told on nearly every DAMN PAGE!

Besides this, the book was just not that great. I've read far better thrillers and suspense about serial killers than If She Knew.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
A quick read - the story seemed to flow right along. My one major complaint is I felt the build up took a long time and then was a bit rushed at the end.

I enjoyed Kate Wise's character, a retired FBI agent at 55, who finds herself wanting to get back into the field. I think many early retirees can probably relate, when you hustle for 30 plus years and suddenly find yourself with ample free time it can be confusing and it can take quite a bit of adjustment.

Kate gets back into the grind when young
Jill Norman
Meh.

To be fair, this was my first ever audiobook and I hated the readers voice

It was just okay- the plot had potential, but I feel like the ending was supposed to be a twist that didn’t quite land, I got so tired of hearing about Kate’s retirement (did you know she was retired? If you forget they’ll tell you), the bureau head was just annoying (or maybe it was the female reader trying to read it in a male voice), and... it was meh.

I did appreciate the intensity with which the murder scenes were
A.B. Shepherd
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Only read to 11%. For Kate having been a dedicated 31 year FBI agent, her waffling in the first few chapters is extremely annoying.
Cynthia Dalton
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
needed an editor, several glaring grammatical errors. overall good story
C Cumming
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy to read

If you are looking for a short light book that is quick and easy to read, with no complicated plot to follow, then this is the book for you.
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I needed a bit more substance for it to be believable.
Maureen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good quick read. A little too descriptive on some of the parts about the violence and predictable. It was an enjoyable read that is fast moving.
Brenda H
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Review to come. MUCH better than the Riley Paige book that I listened to where it was a story with FBI characters and the narrator had a BRITISH accent/pronunciation ...wtf?!
Christian
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
An all round horrific book. Poorly written, terrible characters & zero suspense. Do not waste your time.
Marci
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Not predictable at all. I had no idea who did it until the end.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
These books are incredibly addictive and as you can see from my reading list, I am reading them at the rate of knots. I have been devouring this series and every other series this author has written. What I will note, is that the books seem to be getting shorter at the same price point and the editing leaves a lot to be desired. However, the stories just bring me back for more and more and more.
Sharon Bodnar
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fast-paced thriller, an interesting main character (retired FBI agent Kate Wise), and good plot. Overall a nice quick read similar to watching a TV show. Very entertaining.
Mayar El Mahdy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

I picked it up again.
All in all it's not bad, but it's nothing memorable. Plus the author's tone was a little harsh while describing some of the side characters which I didn't like.
Michelle
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4. This is a good solid crime novel. There are no fancy twists, which I really appreciated. Since it became all the rage for every mystery to include a big twist (I never saw it coming!! I have reader's whiplash!!!), a lot of novels twist themselves into pretzels trying to surprise us, sometimes not even holding tight to logic in the process.

Kate Wise, the main character in "If She Knew," is a recently retired FBI agent. Pierce gives us enough personal information for us to
JenRaye
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
R E V I E W Kate Wise Mystery 1 & 2 If She Knew and If She Saw

I stumbled across the prolific author, Blake Pierce, a month or so ago when I read a digital copy of The Perfect Wife, and knew I had found an author I could pick up for a quick spine tingling read.

Kate Wise and I are of an age...mid 50s...grown kid(s) and grandchild(ren). Kate is a recently retired FBI agent, who helped capture no less than 50 murderers during her stellar career. She's also a widow, living alone in the Carytown
Ted Tayler
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If it ain't broke..."

Blake Pierce has a good pedigree. Several series under his belt with strong main characters and fast-paced, action-packed story lines. They're always a quick read and I can't see any reason to change the formula. The guy knows his audience. What better main character than a fifty-five year old retired FBI agent returning to the front line? Of course, people were told to grow old gracefully in the old days. Forget that! Fifty-five? We're just getting our second wind. Kate
Alana Cooper
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
If She Knew was an enjoyable read, and exactly what I was looking for in terms of a page-turning mystery. The violence was a little graphic (so be aware of that), but I felt like it added to the intensity. This book didn’t blow me away and I found the main character a little predictable, but I definitely would continue to read this series to fulfill my need for classic crime-solving.
Linda Smith
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh boy. I’m surprised this was written by a woman., bc she seems not to understand stand them. I was taken aback that 55 was old and the protagonist was having a hard time keeping up??? This could have been good. But the author thinks we are dumb. ...more
Jacki Prettyman
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

This was a great read especially with two women as the main characters. A little romance possibility, finding the extraordinary love for a grandbaby and solving murders by using her brain....all of these factors combined to make a well told story.
Di Pereira
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
This was the first book I have read from Blake Pierce and it was a good entertainment. It's the kind of book that I like with some mystery and suspense.
Agustina
This was a good listen. The case was intriguing and the storyline entertaining. Will most likely check out the other books in the Agent Wise series.
Heather Cooper
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I would actually give it 3.5 stars. Quick read.

• The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • All Eyes on Me (Miranda and Parker Mystery #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • See You Soon
  • Retribution (Psychic Detective Kate Pierce Crime Thriller #1)
  • Deadly Secrets (Mapleton Mystery #1)
  • Gone Daddy Gone (Sloane Monroe, #7)
  • Redemption Lake (A Winston Radhauser Mystery #1)
  • The Girl From Paradise Hill (A McClintock-Carter Crime Thriller #1)
  • Eye for Revenge
  • Girl in Trouble (Alex Mercer Thriller, #1)
  • Face of Death (A Zoe Prime Mystery #1)
  • Dark Path (Bodhi King #1)
  • Silent Crime (Hangman #1)
  • His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
  • Someone Else's Daughter (Miranda's Rights, #1)
  • Echo (Kate Redman Mysteries, #6)
  • Almost Gone (The Au Pair—Book One)
Blake Pierce is author of the bestselling RILEY PAGE mystery series, which includes seven books (and counting). Blake Pierce is also the author of the MACKENZIE WHITE mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); of the AVERY BLACK mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); and of the new KERI LOCKE mystery series.

An avid reader and lifelong fan of the mystery and thriller

Kate Wise Mystery (7 books)
  • If She Saw (Kate Wise Mystery #2)
  • If She Ran (Kate Wise Mystery #3)
  • If She Hid (Kate Wise Mystery #4)
  • If She Fled (Kate Wise Mystery #5)
  • If She Feared (Kate Wise Mystery #6)
  • If She Heard (Kate Wise Mystery #7)
“but in private county leagues.” 0 likes