Start by marking “A Musket in My Hands (Civil War Romance #3)” as Want to Read:
A Musket in My Hands (Civil War Romance #3)

A Musket in My Hands

(Civil War Romance #3)

Callie Jennings reels from her pa’s demand that she marry his friend, a man older than him. Her heart belongs to her soldier hero, Zach. Pa won’t change his mind, and Callie has nowhere else to go. Then her sister, Louisa, proposes a shocking alternative.

Zach Pearson still hears his pa’s scornful word—quitter. He’s determined to make something of himself as a soldier. He
Published November 8th 2018 by Smitten Historical Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Musket in My Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Musket in My Hands

Start your review of A Musket in My Hands (Civil War Romance #3)
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
War changes things, and for two sisters living in Tennesse during the Civil War, the changes were monumental. This sweeping historical romance is unique in that it focuses on the lives of two women who set aside the expected convention of the day, to join the Confederate army as soldiers.

With vivid, lively characters, and a unique plot this story had me eagerly turning pages to see what would happen next. I enjoyed the intimate look at what everyday life was like for the typical soldier. With
Amy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Musket in My Hands is a good and quick read. I enjoyed it. I give it four stars.
I received this book from the Kindle Unlimited program. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Tony Parsons
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8/1864, Cageville, TN. Callie Jennings (daughter/sister, Mercantile seamstress), & Louisa Jennings (daughter/sister) did their best to keep Porter Jennings (widower/father) happy/contented.
Mr. Ezra Culpepper (elderly suiter, still owner) wanted to marry Callie. Porter did approve &went to get Pastor Brown.

Fast forward, Calvin Shaw (aka Callie), & Louis “Lou” Shaw (aka Louisa) signed the document to enter the Confederate army & took their oath.
A musket was issued to each of
Lisa Johnson
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Title: A Musket in My Hands
Author: Sandra Merville Hart
Pages: 2018
Year: 308
Publisher: Smitten Historical Romance
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Sandra has authored two other novels set in the same time period titled, A Stranger in My Land and A Rebel in My House. I have had the pleasure of reading all three of her books. Each is a stand-alone and quite exciting to read! While there is romance in the story, what stands out more is the affect the Civil War had on the those living at that time.
Sandra
Catherine Castle
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in a man’s army during a time when women weren’t allowed to go to war? How would you hide your gender? How could you live side by side men in rough conditions? How long could you keep up the charade? Author Sandra Merville Hart pursues the answers to this question in her newest Civil War Romance book, A Musket in My Hands.
A Musket in My Hand is the third book in Sandra’s Civil War Romance Series. I’ve read them all, and this book, like the
Deanne Patterson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author. I immensely enjoyed reading this as Civil War fiction is my favorite time period to read about.I felt as if I were there experiencing the day to day life of the soldiers as they experienced hunger,fear,coldness,loneliness and many other emotions. The thing about this book that makes it different from many other Civil War novels is it focuses on two sisters who disguise themselves as men to fight in the war, each for their own reason. The sisters ...more
Rebecca Waters
I loved this book! I knew the research had to be expensive to write this account of women disguising themselves as men to fight in the Civil War, but even the life of the soldier and the battle scenes were detailed and realistic. Of course, Hart shares some of her research in the author notes.

But what I really loved is the story. What would make a woman decide to fight during that time? How might she be regarded? And the story is so much more than the war. It is about love and hope. It is about
Cindy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating, enjoyable book. It's amazing to think that women secretly joined the army and fought in the civil war. I think this very accurately shows why the South was fighting as well as the deplorable condition the soldiers most of the soldiers were in. The longer the war lasted, the worse the soldiers fared. By the last year, even the civilians were starving. I liked the way the author showed how their Christian faith affected how the various characters dealt with everything too.
Barry A Farnsworth
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring

I have always wondered what I would do if faced with the situation of defending my life or those I love just as Callie did. I think anyone would enjoy this book although due to the descriptions of war and its aftermath, Zi would recommend it for late teens or adults.
Pegg
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A unique look at the War of Northern Aggression from the standpoint of a pair of southern sisters left in destitute circumstances. With dismal prospects - and limited food - they set out to disguise themselves as soldiers and join the Confederate Army and the two men who hold their hearts. Any notion that they'll be safe there is quickly squashed as they march their way toward Franklin, Tennessee.

Wonderfully detailed history that adds to the story without distracting the reader, an interesting
Starr Ayers
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hart stole my heart again!

Although I’ve read very few Civil War romances, I can’t imagine any author writing one better than Sandra Merville Hart. I’ve read all three of her novels and am always awed by her keen grasp of historical detail and facts, her vivid portrayal of settings, and her larger than life characters.

A Musket in My Hands is the third book in her Civil War Romance series. I knew women played a huge role in war efforts throughout the years, but I’d never thought about the
Martin Wiles
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Turn the Page Novel

If you love historical fiction and romance, you’ll love this Civil War romance. Once again, the author does an extraordinary job of building suspense and drawing the reader into the story. Definitely worth the read.
Jennifer Purcell
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It took me a bit to get into, but the premise was so good, I wanted to find out what would happen next. Once Callie was in the army, I was hooked, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I loved the relationship between Callie and her sister Louisa as well as the loyalty between Zach and his cousin Nate. The ending was sweet and neatly wrapped everything up.
Pat
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This clean book was a very intriguing read from the very first page! The characters were written with great detail and depth and the storyline well written with a plot that flowed smoothly from page to page! This was the first book that I have read from this author and it definitely will not be the last!
Danielle Carpenter
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is based on the fact that women in the Civil War signed up as men and fought alongside their men. Callie uses the Civil War as a way to escape her drunken father and his schemes. This is well written and the battle scene is actually frightening in detail, and does not cover up the gruesomeness of war.
SJ Garrison
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, I've never heard of women dressing as men and joining the fight during the civil war. Although this story is fiction there are certain truths written within the pages of this book. The horror of war and the hope of a better future is weaved through out this book. I highly recommend this book if you like clean stories with heart.
Holly Lenz
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Musket in My Hands is a moving Civil War romance with brave men and women fighting in a lost cause for their home and their families. The love story is beautiful, but the war story is heart wrenching. There are no winners on war.
Linda
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Musket in my Hands
Having read book two of this series, A Rebel in My House, I was anxious to read A Musket in My Hands, and I was not disappointed. The author has once again researched the time period and incidents of November 1864 to create a well-written, entertaining story. The premise of a woman disguising and passing herself off as a young boy can be somewhat unbelievable, but Ms. Hart did an excellent job of making the situation realistic. I also liked that she gave insight into the
Kristi Cramer
I enjoyed this historical romance. I found the idea of women enlisting as men in the army to be intriguing, and the very thorough descriptions of what it must have been like for the Confederate Army during the late days of the Civil War was fascinating. The battle scenes depicted the horror of the engagements of the day, and were told well enough to give me the shivers.

The romance was sweet, and I like the differing reasons each woman had for enlisting. Some of the romance was predictable, some
Vicki Johnson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very intriguing book about two Southern sisters, Callie and Louise, and their decision to join the Confederacy fight during the Civil War. The reader sees the Civil war through their eyes when they join as young brothers, Cal and Lou. A very different perspective on The war is shown through Callie's eyes as their days turn into weeks. I, personally, did not know this history of the Civil War and this book completely grabbed my interest very early on. However, once I was into it I ...more
PAMpublish
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two sisters, one betrothed to one cousin and the other (Callie) sweet on his cousin decide to join the Confederate army as disguised soldiers when their father promises Callie to an older man. Despite a slow-paced beginning, they miraculously find the cousins and join up with the regiment states away, hiding their identity at first. Although the description of their marching towards Franklin was most probably accurate, it remained mundane until their identities were revealed. Becomes more ...more
Barbara Keigher
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating story of just how terrible this was was, for all ( both sides, and the civilians).
Interesting how woman were able to fool everyone into believing they were young boys and fight as well.....and all the conflicting issues.
And yet, God remained a big part of their lives, even tho, men made terrible decisions.
Beth Westcott
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In A Musket in My Hands, we see the life of a soldier through the lives of two sisters and the men they love. Callie and Louisa Shaw have their reasons for joining the Confederate army, and they risk their lives and reputations to do so. The story and characters are engaging, and I think you'll enjoy reading this book, especially if you like stories of the Civil War.
Sherri Lynch
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well written story with personalities rich in character. Although set in a war time, discriptive parts about the war were toned down and made for easy reading.

A very well written story with personalities rich in character. Although set in a time of war, discriptive parts about the war were not gory.
Elissa Mahler
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, clean read. The story line had me in tears at times. Amazing to visualize the reality of women fighting in the Civil War. This book opened my eyes to the level of freedom that I am blessed with today.
Pat Christie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ebook

Sisters are barely surviving while their Dad is off to war. The younger one wants to go find her betrothed and they join the confederate army disguised as men. The horror of war changes them but in the end they get their men.
Susan P
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A quite silly book about two girls who pretend to be boys to be soldiers in the Civil War. Most of the book didn’t feel like they were actually in a war at all.
Tanya Speir
Feb 02, 2019
Barbara Gaddy
Mar 03, 2019
Karen A. McCluggage
Nov 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Widow of Rose Hill (The Women of Rose Hill Book 2)
  • Her Place in Time
  • A Rifle By The Door
  • Heir of Hope (Ironwood Plantation Family #2)
  • Let Me Fly
  • Charleston's Daughter (The Low Country Series Book 1)
  • The Whistle Walk (Ironwood Plantation Family #1)
  • The Planter's Daughter
  • Among the Poppies
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Eternity Between Us
  • I'll Watch the Moon
  • The Highlanders
  • Leveraging Lincoln (The Liberator Series #1)
  • Losing Lincoln (The Liberator Series #2)
  • Lord of Her Heart
  • The Cowboys
  • Katelyn's Choice (The Thousand Islands Gilded Age #1)
Sandra loves to visit places where significant historic events happened. These places and the people who lived through the events often inspire her and spark her imagination. She most often writes inspirational historical romances and especially loves the American Civil War period. In fact, her debut novella, A Stranger On My Land, is set on Lookout Mountain where the Battle Above the Clouds took ...more

Civil War Romance (3 books)
  • A Stranger on My Land (Civil War Romance #1)
  • A Rebel in My House (Civil War Romance #2)