Start by marking “Prince of Secrets and Shadows (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Secrets and Shadows (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #2)

Prince of Secrets and Shadows

(The Order of the Crystal Daggers #2)

Everyone has Secrets.

PRAGUE, 1870.

After joining the Order of the Crystal Daggers, led by her dauntless grandmother, Lady Penelope, Eleanora Svobodová set out to save her kingdom from oncoming devastation.

And she failed.

Following the attack on Prague Castle, Eleanora is determined to redeem herself. She sets out to win Karl’s trust while distancing

Published August 29th 2019 by C. S. Johnson (first published December 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Secrets and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Secrets and Shadows

Start your review of Prince of Secrets and Shadows (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #2)
Nina
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
*Copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

DNF at 67%!

I started reading Prince of Secrets and Shadows at the beginning of April and while I really enjoyed the first third of this book, I just started losing interest in the novel after that point. The writing is just way too detailed and thus the story really dragged on. It took me three weeks to get as far into the books as I am now but it’s been about two months since I’ve last read a page of it. I’m just not really
Bryn Shutt
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's fair to say I didn't read the first book of CS Johnson's The Order of the Crystal Daggers series - I DEVOURED it. So you can believe me when I say I was all sorts of exploding with nerves and joy to begin this second part of the journey. Once again, Johnson did not disappoint. The surrounding political troubles, the rich variety and blend of cultures, the beautiful relationships (I'm in it for the brother/sister aspect ... sorry Ferdy) and the high stakes, were all woven together with a mas ...more
Laura Grace
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author amazes me with this series!

Her writing is excellent in how she writes a distinct emotional journey that is woven in with complex villains and swoon-worthy romance. Not only was this as awesome as the first book, but it was even more intense in the secrets and lies that come forth (or simply just "hidden"). In fact, I was so weighed down by everything Ella has on her shoulders, that I was telling her she just needed to break free from everyone and be free! Haha!

One of the most potent
C.S. Johnson
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's (finally!) here.

It's sweet and fun and full of suspense. I loved and hated writing it, and that's the perfect way to get it done. My editor loved it, and I hope you will, too.

Here's the blurb so far:

PRINCE OF SECRETS AND SHADOWS

In a time of chaos and confusion, one girl has chosen her fate -- and disaster has sealed it.

PRAGUE, 1870

Kara
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
SUCH a great sequel that both answered my questions and created more intrigue!! The stakes are raised in Secrets & Shadows and one of my favorite parts of the story is how Eleanora disregards Lady POW and courageously chooses her own path no matter what the consequences. Amir becomes an ally to Eleanora that I really enjoyed. Ben is turned against Eleanora as they start to physically train and that was terrible but it also helped the plot move forward in a good way. Something happens to Ben at t ...more
Janeen Ippolito
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great second book in this trilogy! It brings the pain, the feels, the intrigue, and the growth for young Ella. And unlike a lot of trilogies, this isn't just set-up for book three. Ella and her relationships with those around her shift and alter markedly over the book. Love the ending payoff!
Nicole
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel from Ms. C.S. Johnson as an ARC. Thank you!
This novel was a great sequel from the first novel. Love and lies are a huge theme in this novel, which gives several plot twists. Eleanora (Ella) was saving Ferdinand (Ferdy) as there were a few explosions at the castle where the first novel left off. Ella learns Ferdy's secret and Ferdy learns hers. Ella is torn between her growing love for Fersy and her duty to the Order. She needs to keep Ferdy safe and leaves him, but keeps hi
Jessica Bronder
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up right where we left off with Kingdom of Ash and Soot. Ella has failed and preventing an attack at the castle but is determined to make up for it. She starts to train more and tries to distance herself from Ferdy. All the while she questions if this is the life she really wants. She wants to honor her mother yet she also desires freedom. But there is a greater threat that needs to be taken care of by the members of the Order working together, if they don’t kill each other first ...more
Anne Perreault
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book left us wanting more and the second book delivered it. The plot is convoluted and twisted, leaving us to wonder if the good guys are really good guys and the bad guys really bad. The characters have a chance to grow and I love where they're going. This was a page-turner that kept me up well into the late evening. Looking forward to the 3rd book in the series.
Rebecca Conway
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, intrigue and unpredictable characters. Good fast moving story with a happy ever after. What more could you ask for?
Nikole Clow
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dozens of authors write fantastic first books in a trilogy. And most struggle with writing an excellent sequel. Sometimes the sequel doesn’t live up to the first book, but it’s still good. And sometimes the sequel is just as good as the first book, if not better. In this case, Prince of Secrets and Shadows exceeds its predecessor, Kingdom of Ash and Soot.

“You are young yet, but even you know there are things worth dying for.”

I knew this book was going to be phenomenal when I started the first ch
Amy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eleanora (Ella/Nora) Svobodová is back. She survived the blast at Prague Castle but there is more danger lurking and some of it is closer than she could have imagined.

Prince of Secrets and Shadows picked up where Kingdom of Ash and Soot left off. The danger is still present but there are more players in the deadly game than any of them realised. Characters both new and old supplied more mystery, intrigue and plot twists which led to the closing chapters being a gasp-worthy cliff-hanger.

Eleanora
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie, I didn’t like it as much as the first but that was because this was more romance based than the first. I am not a romance kind of girl. She kept second guessing herself which I just found a little annoying. I know I know. She has to learn to trust her instincts and herself. But in my mind, she a kick-ass female, fighting for the truth.

Would have liked to have seen more detail to the fighting too, there was a lot of talking while fighting. Which is a skill in itself. I liked how
Crystal McGough
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’d honestly give this about 4.5 stars. The first book in the series was better, in my opinion. But this was still very good. Most of the time I was reading just to get to the Ella-Ferdy scenes...everything else just felt like a backdrop for those precious moments. And precious, they were. I LOVE Ella and Ferdy’s chemistry and romance!!! 🥰
There were quite a few typos in this one, which I hate to say kinda wrench me out of the story-world. And there were a few places where I got confused at the w
Darla Abney-Cox
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who reads this author’s books will not be disappointed and she has done it again with this series!! This historical novel is book 2 in the series but it’s equally exciting as the first. The characters are all complex and interesting. Ella is still training as a member of the Order of the Crystal Daggers and trying to prevent the Kingdom’s enemies from taking over. She finds out who is lying and it’s not good. If you want to go for an adventure, buy this series! In fact, buy every book thi ...more
Rebecca Brice
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel as an Arc.
What can I say...if you enjoyed the first book, this one continues just where it left off.
I couldn't wait to see what would happen between Eleanora and Ferdy and the other characters and was happily engrossed with the story. It kept me intrigued and wanting more and I couldn't put it down (unfortunately I had to, but any free time I was back reading it).
The story line evolves around secrets,love, lies and choices. All the main old characters are back and we are i
Rand Reviews
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given and ARC of this book and this is my honest review. Ferdy and Eleanora are back in this fast paced sequel. I have been waiting for this book and was not disappointed. Favorite characters are back and new ones are introduced, one of which became another favorite of mine. This story is full of intrigue and mysteries along with heartache and a quick moving story. If you liked the first book in this trilogy you will enjoy this just as much. I loved that it takes place in Prague, as I have ...more
J.M. Jablowski
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a page turner for me, I speed through this book in a few days. In a different life, it probably would have been a "stay up till 3am to finish" sort of book for me.
All the same charming characters from the first book are here. Though one of the villains got less charming as his true colors started to show. Ah well.
I will say it was a little difficult for me to remember all the political affiliations and motives of all the different characters, but that is part of the intrigue.
I can't
Rebecca
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my...yet another amazing novel with the second in this series. There is mystery upon mystery with secrets revealed amidst growing conflict and chaos. Ella’s character becomes more defined as she struggles to decide where her allegiance to truth will lead. She longs for connection to family, friends and loved ones all the while striving to fulfill her duty to her country. There are philosophical debates, betrayals and fisticuffs galore. I highly recommend this thoughtful, entertaining novel al ...more
Christina Morley
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book was amazing and the second book even more so! There are so many players on C.S. Johnson's figurative chess board, with a few duplicitous characters, that it's hard to keep all the details straight, but that just keeps it exciting. The intrigue, danger, and romance just keep coming. Who will turn on whom?

Ella is still new at being a spy and this is evident in her actions and reactions. She has to learn to recognize her weaknesses, including her care for her brother. Even with all t
Scarolet Ellis
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this story very much. It has very strong chracters and a wonderful story line, I am so glad I read this story. I highly recommend this wonderful story to all.
This is my honest and unbias opinion of the story.
Christine Jordan
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic follow up for Kingdom! This was a roller coaster ride from start to finish! The tears and the laughter! It had it all! I know I can warn about spoilers but I don't want to spoiler it for anyone. But the twists were so well done! Can't wait for the next installment.
William Vegvari
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And the story continues, love it. "next"?
Princess
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. This was very action packed and it keeps you wondering about everyone’s intentions. I loved Ferdy and enjoyed him with Eleanora. I wonder if there will be another book, because a few things were left open.
Marlene
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story had my attention from the beginning. It picked up right where the first book finished. Lots of guessing as to who should be trusted and believed. Looking forward to the next book.
Sarah Patterson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time! Read well into the night until my device wacked me in the head😂 A good mix of action, suspense, drama, romance and history😄
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
C.S. Johnson is a writing genius! I have yet to read a book by her that I didn’t absolutely love. Prince of Secrets and Shadows is book two in The Order of the Crystal Daggars series, and it has just escalated from awesome to amazing.

The world building is everything I want in a book like this. Even though it’s the second book, it is still on point and that’s one of the many things I love about C.S. Johnson’s writing.

The characters are so good. The villains are complex, the romance is sincere and
Brenda Moser
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book two of The Order of the Crystal Daggers and the author does not disappoint. She brings a cast of strong characters ,adds in secrets and lies and takes them on another intriguing adventure. It's well written.moves fluidly and I enjoyed reading.

Donna Till
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this book continues where Kingdom of Ash and Soot finished. There was an explosion in the castle and Ella and Ferdy were caught in it. Both Ferdy and Ella’s secrets have been revealed to each other and to keep Ferdy save she leaves him, no matter how much it hurts her. She returns home and continues her training and is back out in soCiety as well as getting close to Karl.
New people arrive in the city and more secrets are revealed. Ella is still trying to learn more about her mother and she h
Jackie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by this fabulous author. Have ready many of her books and this one is no exception. A touch of romance, and a little mystery to add to a magnificent fantasy story. Don’t miss out once it’s released.

• The Horn of Taurus (The Zodiac, #2)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Once Upon a Fairy Tale Night: A Collection of Retellings
  • Adam Frankenstein: A Collection of Short Stories
  • Depths: A Tale of the Little Mermaid (HighTower Fairytales: The Little Mermaid #1)
  • The Man in the Dragon Mask
  • Shapeshifter's Turf (Kit Melbourne Book 5)
  • The Oni
  • Once Upon a Twelfth Night
  • Tara: Taken (Viking Guardians #5)
  • Satan's Angel
  • Bloodbond (Bloodborn, #2)
  • Curby
  • Waking Rory
  • Tweet Cute
  • Baby Blue
  • Scorchwood Supernatural Penitentiary: The Complete Series (Scorchwood Supernatural Penitentiary #1-3)
  • Don't Cross My Path (Legends Unleashed, #2)
C. S. Johnson is the award-winning, genre-hopping author of several novels, including young adult sci-fi and fantasy adventures such as the Starlight Chronicles series, the Once Upon a Princess saga, and the Divine Space Pirates trilogy. With a gift for sarcasm and an apologetic heart, she currently lives in Atlanta with her family. Find out more at http://www.csjohnson.me. ...more

The Order of the Crystal Daggers (3 books)
  • Kingdom of Ash and Soot (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #1)
  • Night of Blood and Beauty (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #2.5)

News & Interviews