Start by marking “Balcony People” as Want to Read:
Balcony People

Balcony People

Some people are in the "balcony" of your life, cheering you on, energizing you with their affirmation. Others are in your "basement" doing exactly the opposite. This book is about being a "balcon
Published October 1st 1989 by Balcony Pub (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Balcony People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balcony People

Start your review of Balcony People
Melinda Cecutti
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and found that it helped me decide what kind of person I wanted to be to myself and to others. Although the book has a decidedly Christian slant, anyone can learn from the principles in the book.
Rhonda
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A very short book, and I mean less than 70 pages, but filled with lots of meaning. Based on the concept that people need affirmation in their lives to value themselves. And we get affirmation from others, and it is also our job to affirm others in return. Says there are two kinds of people, those people who 'build you up' (balcony people) and those who 'tear you down' (basement people). If you are like me, I could readily name those who are basement people in my life, and had a much harder time ...more
Netta
May 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
If you've been around me very long you've heard me refer to this book... I read it in high school and it left a lasting mark on my life. Our days are filled with people who are quick to point out the bad in our lives... but learning to be a person who finds the good; who leans over the balcony of life and cheers us on.. now that's a balcony person! I'm always trying to be one of those!!
Beverly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Joyce Landorf talks about good Christian actions without preaching. She has a nice casual writing style. She says, "..although I believe that affirming is one of the most effective (yet subtle) ways of spreading the good news, it also enables us to work best with other people." To Landorf, affirming is like being a cheerleader for the other person. I want to reread this book soon.
Tim Mjete
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This a book everyone needs to read. An eye opener to the two kinds of people, the balcony and the basement people. I choose to be the balcony person, I'll celebrate others and not bring them down.
Sue
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in making a difference in the lives of those around you, this is the book for you! Great read; makes you appreciate the balcony people in your own life too :)
Shauna
Jun 30, 2011 added it
This book was just what I needed to hear. The premise of book is that there are two types of people in this world. Balcony people and basement people. A balcony person is someone who is hanging over the rail of a balcony cheering you on, encouraging you, and letting you know that they beleive in you. Basement people try to drown you in their basement. They are critical and evaluating you. It reminded me of the type of person I want to be!!!
Gail
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-we-own
This little book was given to me by my sister in law; think I'd heard of it online somewhere. An easy read and good book about encouraging/affirming others, thus being a balcony person. It's probably something that I should re-read at some point to remind me of some of the lessons!
Cynthia Mappus
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read, basic concept, but I remember this book even years after reading it (and that is HIGHLY unusual for me). It defines Balcony People as those people in your life that are there cheering you on. Great lessons and insight on family and friendship! Read it and pass it along!
Melissa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Karen Hockins
This book is fabulous. It really explains different people and personalities and why you want to surround yourself with and be a Balony person.
Debby
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book - short, but full of encouragement as you identify those amazing balcony people in your own life...those people that cheer you on through the good, the bad and the wonderful.
Melissa McCrackin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book presented a fantastic concept in religious wrapping. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm a non religious person and I got the message from it and found it inspirational.
Renée Besaw Kingston
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring...I need to be a better balcony person
Georgette
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! True words from God to my heart at the perfect time! Great truth. Thank you!!!
Sue B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book over 30 years and have read it a couple of times. The edition I have has a soft, velvety gray and maroon cover, and a little mold from when the basement conditions ruined many of my books. I couldn't bring myself to toss this gem, though.

Rereading it this week, I realized how often I think of the statements in this book, not even remembering the thoughts were taken from this book.

Joyce's main idea is to teach us to be encouraging, not life-sucking, people. The thought is that
Kelly Aaen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good 30+ years as the first time I read it!

This book has helped me get through my entire adult life! It has made family member’s deaths easier to bear. Picturing my grandparents leaning over the balcony cheering me on always brings a smile to my lips. Being considered for someone’s list of balcony people would be the highest honor I could imagine.
Anne
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple Yet Immensely Profound

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone who has ever heard the condemning voice: the voice that speaks the language of untruth—even if that voice is coming from their own lips. It’s a beautiful encouraging work, that inspires us to not only see our ‘balcony people,’ but to become one ourselves.
Daniel Williams
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read & Mid Course Correction

This book is convicting and liberating. There is an incredible opportunity to either uplift or hold down, and the choice is ours. The author lays out a wonderful alternative worth adhering to. I look forward to implementation & impact.
Anne Boardman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This slim volume provides a clear path to understanding the affirmers or evaluators in your life who she refers to as balcony or basement people. More importantly it reminds me to work harder to be a balcony person for others.
Karen Scott
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book did a good job reminding me of the importance of encouraging, listening, and loving others well. Not sure about the foundation to her theories, referencing Freud, but I tried not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was short and somewhat sweet.
Ineke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ineke by: Lana Wood
A good read. I think the description of who are balcony people and those that are the basement people is excellent. I could not put it down until the end.
Kelly
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This is such a great book on affirming others and the importance of having balcony people in our lives. People who give us strength, courage and confidence.
Susan Rosen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me

So I’m passing in the tip! I much rather be a balcony friend. How about you? If you want to hear more check it out..
Kimmie
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love from the heart
Listen from the heart
Care from the heart

Affirm, not evaluate
Lucresia Tucker
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspired appreciation for people in my life who have cheered me on and motivated me to try to be a cheerleader for others.
Amanda Tolley
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short read. Joyce Heatherley does a wonderful job of reminding all of us to lift others up!
Donna Lynn
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most paradigm-shifting books I have ever read... my BFF, a teacher/cheer coach who returned to Heaven 10 years ago, was given this book by her mother-in-law, who passed it on to me.... we talked about it often through the years and I love re-reading it. Short book but take your time... there is SO much amazing insight to ponder on in the realm of self-esteem building, Christian/Spiritual living, and more.
Elizabeth
I first read this back in 2009 and felt pulled to read it again last night and finished it up this morning.

It's a good little uplifting read.

Basically there are two types of people in this world: the affirmers (balcony people) and the evaluators (basement people). The books provides a lot of practical advice about how to move past those toxic basement people whose negativity and passive aggressiveness has the power to pull you down into the mire (one harsh comment even) and focus on the balcony
Pamela
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I was unprepared for the highly religious nature of this book. It was recommended by a colleague because we are bringing a speaker to our literacy conference who delivers a session on the idea of "Balcony People," those people in our lives who are always cheering us on, no matter what. The message of this book is excellent (be a maximizer of people, not a minimizer), but it could have been said in a nice two-page whitepaper, I believe. >^..^< ...more
Sheryl M. Baker
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balcony People is a must read if you are tired of the negative feedback in your home, place of employment and the public in general. We grow up in a negative world where negative feedback is more prevalent than positive. Learning to give positive feedback - affirming others - will not only benefit them, but help you start to view the world in a completely different way. Thank you Joyce for sharing your thoughts on this subject through your book Balcony People.

• Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
  • Black Millennials and the Church
  • The Search for Compassion: Spirituality and Ministry
  • Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks
  • Grounded: Finding God in the World. A Spiritual Revolution
  • Souls on Fire
  • Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
  • The Hurricane Sisters (Lowcountry Tales, #9)
  • All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten