Start by marking “Balcony People” as Want to Read:
Balcony People

Balcony People

Some people are in the "balcony" of your life, cheering you on, energizing you with their affirmation. Others are in your "basement" doing exactly the opposite. This book is about being a "balcon
Published October 1st 1989 by Balcony Pub (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Balcony People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balcony People

Melinda Cecutti
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and found that it helped me decide what kind of person I wanted to be to myself and to others. Although the book has a decidedly Christian slant, anyone can learn from the principles in the book.
Rhonda
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A very short book, and I mean less than 70 pages, but filled with lots of meaning. Based on the concept that people need affirmation in their lives to value themselves. And we get affirmation from others, and it is also our job to affirm others in return. Says there are two kinds of people, those people who 'build you up' (balcony people) and those who 'tear you down' (basement people). If you are like me, I could readily name those who are basement people in my life, and had a much harder time ...more
Netta
May 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
If you've been around me very long you've heard me refer to this book... I read it in high school and it left a lasting mark on my life. Our days are filled with people who are quick to point out the bad in our lives... but learning to be a person who finds the good; who leans over the balcony of life and cheers us on.. now that's a balcony person! I'm always trying to be one of those!!
Beverly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Joyce Landorf talks about good Christian actions without preaching. She has a nice casual writing style. She says, "..although I believe that affirming is one of the most effective (yet subtle) ways of spreading the good news, it also enables us to work best with other people." To Landorf, affirming is like being a cheerleader for the other person. I want to reread this book soon.
Tim Mjete
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This a book everyone needs to read. An eye opener to the two kinds of people, the balcony and the basement people. I choose to be the balcony person, I'll celebrate others and not bring them down.
Sue
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in making a difference in the lives of those around you, this is the book for you! Great read; makes you appreciate the balcony people in your own life too :)
Shauna
Jun 30, 2011 added it
This book was just what I needed to hear. The premise of book is that there are two types of people in this world. Balcony people and basement people. A balcony person is someone who is hanging over the rail of a balcony cheering you on, encouraging you, and letting you know that they beleive in you. Basement people try to drown you in their basement. They are critical and evaluating you. It reminded me of the type of person I want to be!!!
Gail
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-we-own
This little book was given to me by my sister in law; think I'd heard of it online somewhere. An easy read and good book about encouraging/affirming others, thus being a balcony person. It's probably something that I should re-read at some point to remind me of some of the lessons!
Cynthia Mappus
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read, basic concept, but I remember this book even years after reading it (and that is HIGHLY unusual for me). It defines Balcony People as those people in your life that are there cheering you on. Great lessons and insight on family and friendship! Read it and pass it along!
Melissa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Karen Hockins
This book is fabulous. It really explains different people and personalities and why you want to surround yourself with and be a Balony person.
Debby
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book - short, but full of encouragement as you identify those amazing balcony people in your own life...those people that cheer you on through the good, the bad and the wonderful.
Carol Strang
wonderful book.
Renée Besaw Kingston
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring...I need to be a better balcony person
Melissa McCrackin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book presented a fantastic concept in religious wrapping. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm a non religious person and I got the message from it and found it inspirational.
Georgette
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! True words from God to my heart at the perfect time! Great truth. Thank you!!!
Kelly Aaen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good 30+ years as the first time I read it!

This book has helped me get through my entire adult life! It has made family member’s deaths easier to bear. Picturing my grandparents leaning over the balcony cheering me on always brings a smile to my lips. Being considered for someone’s list of balcony people would be the highest honor I could imagine.
Anne
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple Yet Immensely Profound

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone who has ever heard the condemning voice: the voice that speaks the language of untruth—even if that voice is coming from their own lips. It’s a beautiful encouraging work, that inspires us to not only see our ‘balcony people,’ but to become one ourselves.
Daniel Williams
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read & Mid Course Correction

This book is convicting and liberating. There is an incredible opportunity to either uplift or hold down, and the choice is ours. The author lays out a wonderful alternative worth adhering to. I look forward to implementation & impact.
Kelly
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This is such a great book on affirming others and the importance of having balcony people in our lives. People who give us strength, courage and confidence.
Al Copper
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a great read in the right season. Is is a lovely little book that helps one understand their place in life and where they should be (on the Balcony). A very spiritual picket book.
Ineke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ineke by: Lana Wood
A good read. I think the description of who are balcony people and those that are the basement people is excellent. I could not put it down until the end.
Kathy Turnball
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friend recommendation

Short read with great insights reminding me of the type of person I always want to strive to be. All could learn something.
Amanda Tolley
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short read. Joyce Heatherley does a wonderful job of reminding all of us to lift others up!
Donna Lynn
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most paradigm-shifting books I have ever read... my BFF, a teacher/cheer coach who returned to Heaven 10 years ago, was given this book by her mother-in-law, who passed it on to me.... we talked about it often through the years and I love re-reading it. Short book but take your time... there is SO much amazing insight to ponder on in the realm of self-esteem building, Christian/Spiritual living, and more.
Elizabeth
I first read this back in 2009 and felt pulled to read it again last night and finished it up this morning.

It's a good little uplifting read.

Basically there are two types of people in this world: the affirmers (balcony people) and the evaluators (basement people). The books provides a lot of practical advice about how to move past those toxic basement people whose negativity and passive aggressiveness has the power to pull you down into the mire (one harsh comment even) and focus on the balcony
Pamela
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I was unprepared for the highly religious nature of this book. It was recommended by a colleague because we are bringing a speaker to our literacy conference who delivers a session on the idea of "Balcony People," those people in our lives who are always cheering us on, no matter what. The message of this book is excellent (be a maximizer of people, not a minimizer), but it could have been said in a nice two-page whitepaper, I believe. >^..^<
Sheryl M. Baker
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balcony People is a must read if you are tired of the negative feedback in your home, place of employment and the public in general. We grow up in a negative world where negative feedback is more prevalent than positive. Learning to give positive feedback - affirming others - will not only benefit them, but help you start to view the world in a completely different way. Thank you Joyce for sharing your thoughts on this subject through your book Balcony People.
Kim Morelli
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever felt like a book fell into your lap for a reason? This one did for me... and it hit the spot perfectly for a Sunday read. I highly recommend it; we all need people in our lives that shout out: "I believe in you and your abilities!"
SJ Barakony
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-friends
Wonderful read - the core theme of 'affirmers' v. 'evaluators' is something that FAR more people need to understand, embrace, apply, & utilize -- daily. (not just here & there)

(it would be 4 1/2 stars, however, GoodReads doesn't offer a 1/2 option)

Kate
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Received this book from a manager at work and it actually spoke very much to my life at this moment. A quick read about the people that we are in life and who we should be. I'd recommend as a quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman
  • Faith and Confession: How to Activate the Power of God in Your Life
  • Maximized Manhood
  • Hide or Seek
  • This Day in the Life: Diaries from Women Across America
  • The Parable of the Pipeline: How Anyone Can Build a Pipeline of Ongoing Residual Income in the New Economy
  • Radical Grace: Daily Meditations by Richard Rohr
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude... and You Change Your Life!
  • Stop Whining, Start Living