Start by marking “Balcony People” as Want to Read:
Balcony People

Balcony People

Some people are in the "balcony" of your life, cheering you on, energizing you with their affirmation. Others are in your "basement" doing exactly the opposite. This book is about being a "balcon ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Balcony Pub (first published June 1st 1983)

Start your review of Balcony People
Melinda Cecutti
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and found that it helped me decide what kind of person I wanted to be to myself and to others. Although the book has a decidedly Christian slant, anyone can learn from the principles in the book.
Rhonda
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A very short book, and I mean less than 70 pages, but filled with lots of meaning. Based on the concept that people need affirmation in their lives to value themselves. And we get affirmation from others, and it is also our job to affirm others in return. Says there are two kinds of people, those people who 'build you up' (balcony people) and those who 'tear you down' (basement people). If you are like me, I could readily name those who are basement people in my life, and had a much harder time ...more
Netta
May 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
If you've been around me very long you've heard me refer to this book... I read it in high school and it left a lasting mark on my life. Our days are filled with people who are quick to point out the bad in our lives... but learning to be a person who finds the good; who leans over the balcony of life and cheers us on.. now that's a balcony person! I'm always trying to be one of those!! ...more
Beverly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Joyce Landorf talks about good Christian actions without preaching. She has a nice casual writing style. She says, "..although I believe that affirming is one of the most effective (yet subtle) ways of spreading the good news, it also enables us to work best with other people." To Landorf, affirming is like being a cheerleader for the other person. I want to reread this book soon. ...more
Tim Mjete
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This a book everyone needs to read. An eye opener to the two kinds of people, the balcony and the basement people. I choose to be the balcony person, I'll celebrate others and not bring them down. ...more
Sue
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in making a difference in the lives of those around you, this is the book for you! Great read; makes you appreciate the balcony people in your own life too :) ...more
Elizabeth
I first read this back in 2009 and felt pulled to read it again last night and finished it up this morning.

It's a good little uplifting read.

Basically there are two types of people in this world: the affirmers (balcony people) and the evaluators (basement people). The books provides a lot of practical advice about how to move past those toxic basement people whose negativity and passive aggressiveness has the power to pull you down into the mire (one harsh comment even) and focus on the balcony
Shauna
Jun 30, 2011 added it
This book was just what I needed to hear. The premise of book is that there are two types of people in this world. Balcony people and basement people. A balcony person is someone who is hanging over the rail of a balcony cheering you on, encouraging you, and letting you know that they beleive in you. Basement people try to drown you in their basement. They are critical and evaluating you. It reminded me of the type of person I want to be!!!
Gail
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-we-own
This little book was given to me by my sister in law; think I'd heard of it online somewhere. An easy read and good book about encouraging/affirming others, thus being a balcony person. It's probably something that I should re-read at some point to remind me of some of the lessons! ...more
Cynthia Mappus
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read, basic concept, but I remember this book even years after reading it (and that is HIGHLY unusual for me). It defines Balcony People as those people in your life that are there cheering you on. Great lessons and insight on family and friendship! Read it and pass it along!
Melissa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Karen Hockins
This book is fabulous. It really explains different people and personalities and why you want to surround yourself with and be a Balony person.
Debby
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book - short, but full of encouragement as you identify those amazing balcony people in your own life...those people that cheer you on through the good, the bad and the wonderful.
Melissa McCrackin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book presented a fantastic concept in religious wrapping. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm a non religious person and I got the message from it and found it inspirational. ...more
Renée Besaw Kingston
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring...I need to be a better balcony person
Georgette
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! True words from God to my heart at the perfect time! Great truth. Thank you!!!
Sue B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book over 30 years and have read it a couple of times. The edition I have has a soft, velvety gray and maroon cover, and a little mold from when the basement conditions ruined many of my books. I couldn't bring myself to toss this gem, though.

Rereading it this week, I realized how often I think of the statements in this book, not even remembering the thoughts were taken from this book.

Joyce's main idea is to teach us to be encouraging, not life-sucking, people. The thought is that
Jeff Turnbough
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balcony People = Affirmation

Balcony People is a treatise on the value and importance of affirmation. The contrast between balcony people and basement people helps to clarify the difference between affirming people and non-affirming people.

She describes it well with the following illustration. When the doctor takes a new born and lays them on their mother’s breast, the mother affirms them not for a character quality or for anything they have done, because they haven’t done anything. She affirms
Pam Venne
Heatherley puts rejection into a different perspective when she introduces the concept of balcony and basement people. While it is listed as a "Christian' book, I could see it as supplemental reading for several psychology classes.

Her story about the woman who approached her after a presentation and told her about sparrows was so touching. It made me long for more of those people in my early years.

After reading BALCONY PEOPLE, my goal is to make more of a concerted effort to be more of a balco
Kelly Aaen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good 30+ years as the first time I read it!

This book has helped me get through my entire adult life! It has made family member’s deaths easier to bear. Picturing my grandparents leaning over the balcony cheering me on always brings a smile to my lips. Being considered for someone’s list of balcony people would be the highest honor I could imagine.
Anne
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple Yet Immensely Profound

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone who has ever heard the condemning voice: the voice that speaks the language of untruth—even if that voice is coming from their own lips. It’s a beautiful encouraging work, that inspires us to not only see our ‘balcony people,’ but to become one ourselves.
Edith Raney
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Affirmer or Evaluator.

Absolutely eye opening concept regarding relationships and the consequences of our actions. Becoming an Affirmer requires a conscious effort to see the humanity in others without judgment. I have read this book several times in the last 30 years and I find a new growth and truth to consider each time.
Daniel Williams
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read & Mid Course Correction

This book is convicting and liberating. There is an incredible opportunity to either uplift or hold down, and the choice is ours. The author lays out a wonderful alternative worth adhering to. I look forward to implementation & impact.
Anne Boardman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This slim volume provides a clear path to understanding the affirmers or evaluators in your life who she refers to as balcony or basement people. More importantly it reminds me to work harder to be a balcony person for others.
Karen Scott
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book did a good job reminding me of the importance of encouraging, listening, and loving others well. Not sure about the foundation to her theories, referencing Freud, but I tried not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was short and somewhat sweet.
Ineke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ineke by: Lana Wood
A good read. I think the description of who are balcony people and those that are the basement people is excellent. I could not put it down until the end.
Kelly
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This is such a great book on affirming others and the importance of having balcony people in our lives. People who give us strength, courage and confidence.
Susan Rosen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me

So I’m passing in the tip! I much rather be a balcony friend. How about you? If you want to hear more check it out..
Kimmie
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love from the heart
Listen from the heart
Care from the heart

Affirm, not evaluate
Lucresia Tucker
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspired appreciation for people in my life who have cheered me on and motivated me to try to be a cheerleader for others.
Sheila Ferguson
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I great quick read to help me on my journey and recommended by one of my "Balcony People" who I am so grateful for. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Acres of Diamonds
  • A Place Called Heaven: 10 Surprising Truths about Your Eternal Home
  • More Than a Carpenter
  • Self-Improvement 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • The Journey from Success to Significance (Maxwell, John C.)
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • The 100/0 Principle: The Secret of Great Relationships
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • 50 Business Classics: Your shortcut to the most important ideas on innovation, management and strategy
  • Your Stand Is Your Brand: Unleashing the Power of "who You Are" to Transform Your Business
  • Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
  • The Coaching Effect: What Great Leaders Do to Increase Sales, Enhance Performance, and Sustain Growth
  • Windigo Island (Cork O'Connor, #14)
  • Manitou Canyon (Cork O'Connor, #15)
  • Everything is Figureoutable
  • People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God

News & Interviews