Start by marking “The Lost Girls of Paris” as Want to Read:
The Lost Girls of Paris

The Lost Girls of Paris

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  30,379 ratings  ·  3,870 reviews
From the author of the runaway bestseller The Orphan’s Tale comes a remarkable story of friendship and courage centered around three women and a ring of female spies during World War II.

1946, Manhattan

Grace Healey is rebuilding her life after losing her husband during the war. One morning while passing through Grand Central Terminal on her way to work, she finds an abandoned su/>1946,
Published January 29th 2019 by Park Row

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Girls of Paris, please sign up.
Anne Marie Not only that but Grace describes learning about Eleanor’s death on the news. But regular television news didn’t start for years after the events took…moreNot only that but Grace describes learning about Eleanor’s death on the news. But regular television news didn’t start for years after the events took place. Sloppy.(less)
Isabelle Altman Everything "The Lost Girls of Paris" does, "The Alice Network" does better.

The reasons the American girl has to find a disgraced female…more
Everything "The Lost Girls of Paris" does, "The Alice Network" does better.

The reasons the American girl has to find a disgraced female British agent in the years after the war? Realistic in "Alice," tenuous in "Paris," The bond between the female spies on the ground in Europe? Heartwarming in "Alice," barely there in "Paris." The romances? Developed in "Alice," not so much in "Paris."

(slight spoilers in this paragraph)
Also you HATE the villain in "The Alice Network" whereas the villain in "Paris" is only in two scenes and gets half a redemption arc in one of them despite being a literal Nazi war criminal.

So if you're trying to choose between the two, I recommend "The Alice Network." (less)

·  30,379 ratings  ·  3,870 reviews

Matt
“And now go set Europe ablaze!”
- Winston Churchill to Hugh Dalton, first director of the Special Operations Executive

It has been awhile since I read a book with a wider gap between idea and execution. The concept of Pam Jenoff’s The Lost Girls of Paris is excellent: a World War II thriller based on the missions of the real-life women of the Special Operations Executive. Unfortunately, this great idea is squandered in a book of such mediocrity I hesitate to say anything further.

But I will, wit
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
4.5 stars!

This is a historical fiction novel about women working with the SOE as spies during the World War II. The setting takes place in France and is inspired by true events. There are girls who are recruited and trained. One of the girls who are recruited is Marie, who is a single Mom.

Eleanor Trigg is the leader of a ring of female secret agents who are deployed out of London during the war. There were twelve woman that were sent to Occupied Europe as radio operators
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars! Another outstanding novel by Pam Jenoff!

This fascinating and unforgettable story, inspired by true events, revolves around a handpicked group of British female spies sent to France by a top secret government division during WWII. Weeks of rigorous training aim to prepare these young women to venture into unknown territory, planting themselves as everyday French citizens, intending to smoothly transition into society. Putting their lives largely at risk, they plan to connec
Angela M
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I wasn’t planning on reading this book. I had previously read two books by Pam Jenoff, and while I thought they were important books on the Holocaust, I just didn’t connect with the characters. I was offered an advanced digital copy by the publisher but didn’t immediately accept it. Then a lovely Goodreads friend sent me a paper version of the advanced copy. Then I saw some rave reviews by some of my trusted Goodreads friends. Those were enough things to convince me to read it and I’m
megs_bookrack
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Vivid. Inspirational. Poignant.

The Lost Girls of Paris drew me in from the very beginning and it never let go. This is a compulsively readable story!

Following three perspectives, this Adult Historical Fiction novel weaves together a beautifully intricate story of a group of women working inside special ops during WWII.

The reader learns of the development of the SOE's (Special Operations Execlass="gr-hostedUserImg">
The
Matthew
I wish I had a better experience with and more positive things to say about this book. I went in worried about it being another “Girl-in-the-title” book or just another entry in the oversaturated “Girl-living-through-WWII” genre. While it was definitely both of these things, it was neither of those that led to this being a frustrating read.

The book was way too cheesy. If a book is supposed to be fun, silly, or light-hearted, cheesiness is a thing to be celebrated and embraced. This b
Meredith
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Historical novel that tells the story of fierce women who served as British secret agents during WWII. This is a story about friendship, love, and tenacity.

The plot is intriguing: British women are recruited to assist the military during WWII. They are trained to serve on the ground as operatives in France. Not only was this an extremely dangerous and risky mission, but it also is one that was filled with betrayal.

The reader experiences the plan to recruit and train the women through Eleanor T
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

I read a lot of historical fiction and I had read “The Orphans Tale” by Pam Jenoff and really enjoyed it. I most recently read “The Light Over London” by Julia Kelly which was about the Brtitish “gunner girls” who worked atop London’s rooftops calculating the firing of anti-aircraft guns.

This novel drew me in from the beginning, it was a quick, satisfying read with characters that I could root for. The story starts in 1946 Manhattan when a young woman, Grace, com
Liz
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper-arc

Now this is what historical fiction is meant to be! A wonderful story that draws you in quickly and completely while teaching you about something you knew nothing about.

As is typically the case, this one is told through two storylines. Right after WWII, Grace finds an abandoned suitcase in Grand Central which contains the photos of a dozen young women. The women turn out to be agents of SOE, couriers and saboteurs sent behind enemy lines into France. It turns out the suitca
Larry H
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars.

C'est magnifique!!

In 1946, shortly after World War II ended, Grace Healey is living in New York, fleeing for an anonymous life in the city after the tragic death of her husband. One morning on her way to work she takes a detour through Grand Central Station, where she trips over a suitcase hidden beneath a bench.

She can't resist opening the suitcase, and when she finds a group of photographs, each of a different woman, she can't seem to explain why s
Diane S ☔
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor-2019
3.5 Women operatives during WWII, and the dangers they faced. I just adored these characters, become very invested in their welfare, wanted them to succeed where the men had failed. When the OSE realized their male agents were being captured, so many men were gone fighting, they stood out like sore thumbs. It is suggested by a woman named Twigg, that females would more easily blend in, and accomplish what they needed to accomplish. She is given control of this very secret program.

The
Holly  B
I loved it!

Once I started reading and became invested in these wonderful characters and the suspenseful plot, I simply had to  keep on reading...

This took over my day and I set aside chores, appointments and anything else that was causing me to have to put this book down.  It did take a few chapters to get settled into it, then it was easy sailing all the way to the end.  A week later, I'm still thinking of these "girls".

The author does a wonderful job of characterization and I feltto
Tammy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have rolled my eyes as many times as I have heard, “This is the next Nightingale”. To be fair, I didn’t hear this regarding The Lost Girls of Paris. Instead, this book is being compared to Lilac Girls and The Alice Network but this one comes very close to Nightingale. I never expected it. It’s a fictionalized account of Vera Atkins and her “girls” who were dropped into France to work with the resistance as saboteurs and radio operators. Another storyline takes place shortly after the war that ...more
Michelle
2.5-3 stars. Disappointed...don't hate me people!!!

Despite owning several Pam Jenoff books this the first one I have read! I definitely will give her another shot as I respect her research and creativity (for coming up with this story) and I was happy to learn something new. I enjoyed how the story was told from three different perspectives (kind of a past, present & future) so that you were always seeing the story from a different angle. I think this was the strongest part of th
Christine
4.5 (rounded to 5) stars

Wow, this one was a real surprise. I had never read this author before, but was struck by the blurb as well as the title of this novel, and just look at that cover. These factors, plus the fact that several of my Goodreads friends gave it 4 or 5 stars, moved me to give this book a go. I was most impressed!

This WWII historical fiction novel is darker and a bit grittier than many of the other books of this subgenre. It revolves around a small organiz
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
The Lost Girls of Paris is historical fiction storytelling at its finest. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

It’s 1946 in Manhattan, and Grace Healey is late for work. She is starting over because her husband was killed during the war, and she has to keep this job to make ends meet.

As she rushes to work, things continue to go awry, when she happens upon a suitcase in Grand Central Terminal. Inside are a dozen photographs of women. In a moment of haste, she takes the photos with her.

Grace later learns the suitcase belonged to
Hollis
THE LOST GIRLS OF PARIS is a story I wanted to love. It's an excellent premise, with multiple POV and some overlapping timelines, of three women during and after the second world war. One a spy, another her commander, and a civilian who is compelled to pursue the truth of their story after piecing together their identities. It sounds amazing, right? If only.

Not only was the writing slow, dull, halting and unpolished (not something I think is to blame from an ARC format perspective),
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Historical fiction is not typically my wheelhouse, but when I heard that The Lost Girls of Paris was about a group of female spies in WWII, I was all in. It seems this plotline may be the new Gone Girl as I’ve seen several new releases regarding women in WWII all over my Goodreads’ feed, but I wanted it pretty much due to my one and only experience with this topic - Code Name Verity. The story here is about a woman named Grace who notices a suitcase in Grand Central Station that appe
Felicia
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loosely based on real events involving female spies in 1942 war-torn France.
I mean, seriously, what is there not to love about that?

Even before starting this book I was fascinated with the plot so it didn't take me long to become totally enamored.

The story begins in 1946 following Grace after she finds a set of photographs of women in an abandoned suitcase. Her curiosity gets the best of her and she goes about trying to find the identity of these women.

Honestly, I
Debra
A suitcase found - stories told.

Grace finds a suitcase while traveling through Grand Central Terminal on her way to work. Curious about what is inside, she opens it and finds pictures- each one of a different woman. Who were these women? Who does the suitcase belong to?

Grace soon finds the answer as to who owned the suitcase - a woman named Eleanor Trigg who was the leader of female secret agents deployed out of London during the war. The twelve women who were in the pict
jv poore
One simple statement changed the course of Eleanor’s life forever.

It was 1943 when the infuriated Director of Special Operations Executive called a meeting. As his secretary, Eleanor was present. As his metaphorical right-hand, she understood the operations better than anyone else in the room. The SOE, created three years prior to light Europe up with sabotage and subversion, had run smoothly and successfully until now.

Too many agents were being caught, and the captures seemed to quickly follo
Jonetta
It’s post-war 1946 and young widow Grace Healey is running late for work. As she takes a shortcut through Grand Central Station, she discovers an abandoned suitcase under a bench. In it, she finds photographs of 12 women and something compels her to take them with her. Once Grace learns that the owner, Eleanor Trigg, was killed in an accident that morning, she returns to get the suitcase but it’s gone. As she continues to investigate Eleanor’s life and the identities of the women in those photos ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4+ stars. This historical novel of WWII focuses on an unusual aspect of the war: the British women who were deployed to France under Britain's Special Operations Executive or SOE program to work with the Resistance as radio operators, saboteurs, and couriers.

description
Real-life SOE agent Christine Granville with members of the French Resistance in 1944

Most of the reason for this dangerous venture is that most men were too suspiciously visible in France (since most men were off at war). It was a highly perilous j
Linda
The Lost Girls of Paris opens with Grace Healey trying to maneuver her way through the crowded streets of Manhattan. It's post-war in 1946 and traffic jams and throngs of people are the new norm. Grace decides to take a shortcut through the Grand Central Terminal knowing full well that she's already late for work. A policeman tells her that there has been an auto accident and the individual didn't survive.

As Grace enters into the darkened train station building, her eyes come upon a
Whitney
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall: I wish I could say I liked this book, but I didn't... For a similar storyline but done much, much better, try The Alice Network by Kate Quinn or learn about the true story that inspired this book 3.5/10

The good: This book had a lot of potential and was based on a portion of the resistance I knew nothing about. The novel is based on the true story of Vera Atkins and her team of Special Operations Executive spies (many of them young women) who advanced into France before D-Day
Katie B
I hadn't even read the synopsis yet when I realized I wanted to read this book. This is one of the rare instances when a book cover completely sold me. The use of the clock just really stood out to me. Thankfully, this turned out to be a compelling historical fiction read which was worthy of a good cover.

It's 1946 and Grace Healey is working in Manhattan after losing her husband during the war. While at Grand Central terminal she discovers a suitcase containing photographs. She soon
Cheri
4.5 Stars

As this story begins, World War II has ended, and Grace Healy is living in New York City, where she can spend her days without the look of concern and pity on the faces of passersby, unlike her former home. Here, she is just another face in the crowd, nameless and unknown, no one knows her, or that her husband has died. She’s been avoiding Grand Central Station, but on this morning on her way to work she decides to go through there and ends up bumping into a suitcase left un
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Professor Digglesby walked back into the workshop and returned with what appeared to be feces. “We plant detonators in the least likely of places,” he added. The girls squealed with disgust. “Also fake,” he muttered good-naturedly. “Holy shit!” Josie said.

Eleanor produced a necklace with a silver bird charm and held it out. Marie was surprised. But it was not a gift; Eleanor twisted the necklace and it unscrewed to reveal a cyanide capsule. “The final friend,” Eleano
Erin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley

I was so EXCITED when I was approved for this title because Pam Jenoff is one of my favorite WWII era writers and I have devoured each of her titlesThe Orphan's Tale, Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin- Trade Publishing for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Orphan's Tale,The Winter Guest, and The Kommandant's Girl just to name a few. So it would be an understatement to say The Lost Girls of Paris is one of my most anticipated reads of 2019. It certainly lived up to my expectations.

Based on the true story of Vera Atkins ( seeSpymistress: The Life of Vera Atkins, the Greatest Female Secret Agent of World War II and the many women that served as agents in France, Jenoff focuses her fictional narrative on Eleanor Trigg, leader of the operations network, Marie, one of the many agents Eleanor sends to France, and Grace Healey, an American woman, who in 1946 discovers a suitcase belonging to Eleanor in Grand Central station with photographs of different women. This sets Grace on a mission to find out who these women were and why Eleanor's suitcase was not with its owner.

Above all, this book is an emotional tale of friendship,betrayal, and making sure these types of stories are never forgotten. May all of us be little more like Grace Healey- searching for the truth and never giving up.

Review posted on Goodreads 26/01/19
Publication Date: 29/01/19
Women sent into war to fulfill a role men couldn't. Deployed as spies and saboteurs. Women who were successful because they represented a gender that is underestimated time and again. Invisible. Women intentionally sacrificed. Undervalued and disposable. Women who step up to the plate in spite of it all because that's what we do. Is this a true story? Of course it is.

In The Lost Girls of Paris, author Pam Jenoff has written engaging historical fiction based on very real women and events. In the

• The Huntress
  • Lost Roses (Lilac Girls #2)
  • City of Girls
  • The Night Tiger
  • The Nickel Boys
  • The Beantown Girls
  • We Hope for Better Things
Pam is the author of several novels, including her most recent The Lost Girls of Paris and The Orphan's Tale, both instant New York Times bestsellers. Pam was born in Maryland and raised outside Philadelphia. She attended George Washington University in Washington, D.C., and Cambridge University in England. Upon receiving her master’s in history from Cambridge, she accepted an appointment as Speci ...more
“Create a story of which you will be proud.” 9 likes
“The truth is sometimes the very opposite from what you expect it to be.” 7 likes