Start by marking “Knaves Over Queens: A Wild Cards novel” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Knaves Over Queens: A ...

George R.R. Martin

Knaves Over Queens: A Wild Cards novel

(Wild Cards #26)

Perfect for current fans and new readers alike, Knaves Over Queens is an all-new adventure set in London, featuring a fresh cast of characters from the Wild Cards universe.

Developed by aliens and field-tested on Earth, the virus known as Xenovirus Takis-A was released in New York in 1946, changing the course of human history forever. Most of those infected die — and a tiny percentage/>
Published August 13th 2019 by Tor Books (first published June 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Knaves Over Queens, please sign up.
Brian Palmer It probably helps, but almost all of the previous books are set in the US, whereas this tackles Wild Cards in the UK and Ireland starting from the…moreIt probably helps, but almost all of the previous books are set in the US, whereas this tackles Wild Cards in the UK and Ireland starting from the wild card virus's release. It's a decent starting point.(less)

Mark Lawrence
Jun 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
OUT TODAY IN THE USA

Welp, got my copy!

& blogged about working with George RR Martin to produce my story for the collection. I'm very pleased with the result.

George liked it too! https://youtu.be/Fa2aZVOGN08?t=22m20s

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Marty Durham
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the Wild Card lexicon. Churchill, Double Helix, Green Man, Queen Margaret - great characters in great stories.
Dee Arr
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
I discovered this series about the same time I began reading A Song of Ice and Fire, and found this different world just as inviting. The mixture of past events in a world of aces and jokers was too much to resist.

“Knaves Over Queens,” originally released in 2018, is the story of England and their experiences with the virus that can produce good and bad results in people. I might have been hoping for more with this book and like the virus, I found a mixture of positives and negatives.
Zedsdead
England gets the full Wild Cards treatment, incorporating actual historical events and people, from "Wild Card Day" in 1952 through 2017.

------------------------------------
A Flint Lies in the Mud
A military officer-made-living-flint saves hundreds of lives during the Great Smog of London (a real event which killed thousands over the course of four days in 1952). Along with Enigma (Alan effing Turing for the win) and Lookout (a far-seeing telescoping ace), Captain Flint establishes/>A
Craig
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A kind of hit-and-miss collection of Wild Cards stories set in the U.K. (Sometimes not so U., actually.) I didn't really enjoy it as much as most of the previous volumes; it didn't have the same connections between characters and stories that made the original books so enjoyable for me, nor the linkage of historical extrapolation that have been prevalent in the more recent Tor volumes. There were some good origin-style stories, such as Kevin Andrew Murphy's Flint and Peter Newman's excellent Twi ...more
Sam
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best way for me to describe the experience of reading this collection was with this anecdote. During an outing for a meal with colleagues and friends. Whilst ordering our desserts we couldn’t decide what we wanted. So we pretty much ordered many different cakes. We kept passing the different cakes around where each person cut a piece, after that they would pass it along to the next. We called it the cake roulette.
This is what reading Knaves over Queens brought to mind. Each short story and
Iain
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific addition to the Wild Cards world, with a talented authorial lineup firing on all cylinders. Spanning the years from Wild Card day to the present, mimicking the form of the first Wild Cards book, but with a British bent on the history, this ensemble effort really doesn't have a weak entry. Strongly recommended.
Daniel
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite all time series.

Best bits - Origin stories for Captain Flint and Double Helix. The latter is a terrific character - Melinda Snodgrass is an underrated writer IMO.
The 'villain' characters - The Green Man and Badb are three dimensional and the stories were excellent.
Stonemaiden and The Visitor had very similar structured stories and were both about teenage girls - both terrific nonetheless.
My favourite story was the one about Jenny Three-Arms and the Mole
Alexander Gent
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book haunted my dreams. As ever with an anthology or mosaic novel, some parts are stronger than others, but overall it was a rich and fascinating world. I do hope that the plight of Great Britain's Aces, Knaves and Jokers is revisited by this series. Bought on a whim and adored.
Loki
An excellent addition to the Wild Cards canon, albeit one as downbeat and brutal as anything in the second or third story arcs. This time we're looking in on decades of altered history from the (not terribly) United Kingdom, and filling in some gaps in the history that have only been mentioned in passing previously. Great stuff.
Roger
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love the Wild Cards series-Knaves over Queens is the 26th entry and it is enjoyable, though I felt things slowed down a little in the middle. I think part of the problem stemmed from the fact that there seemed to be less editorial control-some of these stories really did not mesh together well at all, and the resultant disjointed reading experience really jangled my nerves. It was interesting to see how the Wild Card affected Great Britain, and this novel is really a crash ...more
Daniel
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. I enjoyed it far more than his game of thrones novels.
Brian Palmer
I bounce between 3 and 4 stars on this. I really liked the initial stories, where the wild card virus's release was covered from a British perspective (in particular, a British passenger liner that was pulling into New York at the time of Jetboy's flight). However, the stories soon ended up splitting up away from a central storyline, exploring how superheroes might have been involved in a few random historical instances in the UK's recent history. I didn't try to reconcile the events with the hi ...more
Theresa
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knaves Over Queens (Wild Cards, #26)
by George R.R. Martin

A Flint lies in the Mud, But a flint holds fire by Kevin Andrew Murphy
The samples given by Harper Collins gives you a different impression of this story, Kevin Andrew Murphy is able to connect both sides of the pond into the World of Wild Cards. we know you are a great author but sitting here amazed and trying to get my heart rate under control. I love the new characters and how the idea of the British invasion of the Wi
Liesl
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love the premise of this, superheroes and a mysterious virus against the backdrop of key historical events. I enjoyed basically all of the stories, especially the submissions by Emma Newman and Peter Newman. Only problem is that I would love to read more about a lot of the main characters. Towards the end of the book, it seemed like everything was building to a big event where a lot of the characters would interact, but then that never happened so it felt a bit anticlimactic. I didn't feel the ...more
to'c
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, am I behind the times! I read the first Wildcard trilogy eons ago and have been hoping for more. Then I heard about this book and swooped it up. Imagine my surprise to discover that I've missed a couple dozen Wildcard books throughout the years. Sigh.

A particularly British and Irish take on the wildcard virus. (Herne the Hunter, anyone?) Seeing how and why the virus manifests in people is part of the fun. Their stories are the other part. And guessing who's an Ace vs. who's a Jok
Lel Budge
This is a collection of short stories of science fiction and fantasy, written by a range of different authors.Edited by George R.R. Martin. It’s the first of Wild Card universe novels set in the UK and is just right if you aren’t in the mood or don’t have the time to read a full novel. So, you can dip in and out and read the great stories put together in this book. I really enjoyed reading it and will now read more of these Wild Card tales.

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGall
Stuart Nager
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a couple of negative reviews about this volume of Wild Cards. #26. Wow. Honestly, I don't get it. Yes, there are always some stories throughout the series that aren't great, a very few that are inconsistent (editorial wise), but...I read this as a further fleshing out of the WC world and enjoyed the read. I finished it over a weekend, and glad I got the chance (it was released in the US months after its UK release).

A new WC book is coming in December. Already ordered.
Chuk
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like all the Wild Cards books, but this one was extra fun as it covered the whole history of the Wild Card virus in the UK. There was a lot more detail about a few things that were previously in the background (Queen Mary) and some of the stories take place around the edges of stories from earlier books. Lots of new authors too like Stross and Cornell.
Jon
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather enjoyed the UK flair to this one.
Ginger
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
entertaining collection of stories
PJ Ebbrell
At last the Wild Cards series makes it to the UK and it is OK. Some intriguing stories, but again some major off scene actions happens and we will have to wait for more stories.
Bad Cookie
Dark, but good.
Karen Cohn
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most anthologies, some stories were very good; others, less so. One I could not force my way through.
Kevin Andrew
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Joshua Rhonemus
Oct 02, 2019
Sibannac84
Jan 27, 2019
Simon
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2018
Kamila
Oct 07, 2018
Sean Royals
Oct 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Thing about Growing Up in Jokertown (Wild Cards)
  • Temperature: Dead + Rising (Temperature, #1)
  • The Button Man and the Murder Tree
  • When We Were Heroes
  • The Doom Magnetic! Trilogy
  • Jagannath
  • Rogue Legacy: Origins of Issalia (The Runes of Issalia #0.5)
  • Grudge Punk
  • Violet (The Endwar Series, #1)
  • Dangerous Ways (The Books of Winter, #1)
  • White Light
  • Windswept (Windswept, #1)
  • The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)
  • Siege Tactics (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #4)
  • The Captive Flame (Brotherhood of the Griffon #1)
  • Of Bone and Thunder
  • Impersonations
  • Dreamwalker (Dreamwalker, #1)
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Wild Cards (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
  • Aces High (Wild Cards, #2)
  • Jokers Wild (Wild Cards, #3)
  • Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Wild Cards, #5)
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #6)
  • Dead Man's Hand (Wild Cards, #7)
  • One-Eyed Jacks (Wild Cards, #8)
  • Jokertown Shuffle (Wild Cards, #9)
  • Double Solitaire (Wild Cards, #10)