Start by marking “Kill Zone” as Want to Read:
Kill Zone

Kill Zone

Power duo Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason team up in Kill Zone, a perilous disaster thriller for the modern age.

Deep within a mountain in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a Cold War-era nuclear weapons storage facility is being used to covertly receive more than 100,000 tons of nuclear waste stored across the US. Only Department of Energy employee, Adonia, and a few others
Published August 27th 2019 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Kill Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Zone

Start your review of Kill Zone
William
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed Mr. Anderson’s work for a long time. This action driven story is no exception. Well written and with characters I want to see escape the dangers of a radioactive storage facility. Plenty of government conspiracy along with left over cold war era issues that in today current climate people have forgotten. The Russians may be gone from the gameboard as a major threat but the left over nuclear issue is for from gone as radiation last longer than one life time. Well written and ...more
Marika Charalambous
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What if a secret nuclear waste dumping ground also holds something even scarier, something that could destroy a big part of America? The new book by Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason is not only fast-paced, but it also presents a scenario that could easily come true. And that's as scary af.

One point off due to the abrupt ending. I really wanted to see what happened to the survivors.

Full review at https://mysterysequels.com/book-revie...
Boom
Jan 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My biggest complaint was how many times the author repeated himself explaining the situation. Over and over again the characters would either think or repeat to each other what the problem is.
Tara Henderson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This had a great storyline that pulled you in. All of the what-ifs you can think of when the topic of nuclear waste is a point of discussion. Just what could happen if one area of the government has no clue about another area. The main characters felt genuine and you find yourself rooting for (some of) them throughout. A great read.
Michael
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Obviously there is a receptive audience for this type of poorly written and hastily edited book. A reader who’s preferred genre is the “best-seller, airport paperback-style book with short chapters, wide margins and a 6th grade vocabulary”.
I am not among that group. I am not a particularly strident or vituperative critic, leaping upon the smallest flaw. But descending to this level of bad writing was painful.
I picked this up casually as an in-between book; the premise looked interesting. And,
Calvin Giroulx
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I was hooked right away by this fast-paced thriller and had a hard time putting it down. The realistic setting had some very cool worldbuilding, a likeable main character surrounded by some not so likeable other characters, placed in a dangerous present day situation that had me wondering what really goes on with nuclear waste and secret underground government facilities. Keep ‘em coming Mr. Anderson and Mr. Beason!
Meagan
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Anderson and Beason do an admirable job at worldbuilding, certainly. Much of the plot, characters, and setting feel ripped out of real life -- any of these occurrences could seemingly easily happen right now.

I personally struggled to get into "Kill Zone". While the level of detail was admirable -- it was almost too much detail for me at times! I had a hard time keeping the characters and their jobs straight; maybe I worked too hard at that and just needed to take a step back and enjoy the book
Michelle Bohannon
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nuclear waste and nuclear weapons don't go well together. Wait, what? They don't? Why not? Kill Zone takes you on a never ending journey of suspense and adventure. As soon as you think you're safe, you're not. Climb. Keep moving. This new thriller opens your eyes to the dangers of storing nuclear waste in general, especially in a place where not all is as it seems. It also opens your eyes to a problem you may not have thought about before. Where does all this nuclear waste go? Where is it ...more
Arizona Spartan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Although I enjoyed the book the underlying premise is not entirely believable to a former IT person like myself. That aside, the book was interesting and explained the inner workings of the US civilian and partially military nuclear programs especially around waste disposal. I finished it quickly and moved onto another book. I wish it had been of the caliber of other famous thrillers. Sorry Kevin, you missed this read with this one.
Marygelnett
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mystery/thriller centered around the formation of a high level nuclear waste disposal. I found the story informative and a quick read, if not deep. The characters are mildly engaging and the plot moves along without excessive technical detail. The science seemed good based on my (limited) knowledge of the nuclear power industry.
Kevin
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suspense
The whole book is built on a premise of classified information and thoughtless regulation-following workers that is supremely flawed. Characters are shallow and the start of each chapter feels like the recap on your weekly television series. Many of the characters' actions don't make sense. I definitely don't recommend this book.
Allan Misje
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I am so glad I was able to read this early! And secondly, Wow! This was an intense page turner packed with action and suspense! From the very beginning it is thriller of a ride the whole way through to the very end! I could feel my anxiety rise at certain parts, which was awesome. Overall a really well crafted thriller of a book by Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason! Thank you!!!
Edward Silverman
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a top notch thriller that shouldn’t be confined to the sci-fi section. Worthy of Clancy or Crichton, the science is plausible and the action is relentless. This was an enjoyable read. The villains were a bit cartoonish yet still believable and the plot was good for an escape. I definitely would like to read more like this.
Dave Christensen
Good storyline and action, but as other reviewers noted, the repetition of the dire consequences did get old. It seemed as if the authors had to hit a certain word limil. I would put this down as a decent “beach” read. ...more
Michael
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I never write reviews but I felt I needed to. I was conflicted with the rating. I really enjoyed this book. Quick easy read. However, at the end I wanted more. The story could have easily continued. I wanted to know more on what happened in the aftermath!
Michael Butler
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tightly paced thriller that hits all the notes. I learned so much about the storage of nuclear waste and the perils we could be in.
Overall, I liked the characters and was generally concerned for their safety throughout the novel. Terrific summer thriller read.
Kalle Seppälä
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit unrealistic sometimes, like when the senator is portrayed as a totally senile who doesn't listen to anyone (well I guess it might be so in the real life as well), more like a political and/or environmental read than an action book.
Kerry
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
decent fairly well paced thriller. No unexpected surprises.
Pat Malon
Interesting story.
Robin L. Vahle
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
interesting and terrifying at the same time. Clearly the authors had little respect for the much vaunted wisdom of a senator - but candidly at this point in time who does??.
Jon Tyler
Predictable, shallow characters. Story was ok.
PWRL
Oct 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
SM
Christopher Florek
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smart, but also easy to follow. Really well done interesting read.
Tanya Procknow
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast read that is realistic and scary.
Randy Hsieh
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book and pretty timely post-Fukushima.
It's fiction but you can learn a little about what concerns are out there.
Sam
Oct 07, 2019
Mark Lambert
Oct 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • The Network (Jack Logan #1)
  • Cold Storage
  • Just Watch Me (Riley Wolfe #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's Buckskin (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #10)
  • The Fifth Column
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • Blood in the Water
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil ...more