Start by marking “Catfishing on CatNet” as Want to Read:
Catfishing on CatNet

Catfishing on CatNet

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  72 ratings  ·  50 reviews
How much does the internet know about YOU? A thought-provoking near future YA thriller that could not be more timely as it explores issues of online privacy, artificial intelligence, and the power and perils of social networks.

Because her mom is always on the move, Steph hasn’t lived anyplace longer than six months. Her only constant is an online community called CatNet—a
Published November 19th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Catfishing on CatNet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catfishing on CatNet

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Catfishing on CatNet
Toni
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2019
As promised by the blurb, the story does go to some extent into thought-provoking questions on how much information about us is available to any serious hacker or an AI and how trusting we are of the good intentions of those who have become a member of our social network closer circle. But it isn't all dark and gloomy, quite the opposite. It is more about our fundamental desire to make friendships and find people we belong with.

Steph Taylor has changed six high schools. Her slightly paranoid
ReadBecca
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, lgbt
I requested and received a copy of this book for honest review, thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and author.

Catfishing on CatNet is the full length novel inspired by Kritzer's previous award darling short Cat Pictures Please. For me this reads like a cross between Eliza and Her Monsters (which I really enjoyed) and Murderbot (which I loved). We get three unique perspectives:
Steph - A high schooler who has been unable to put down roots anywhere, being moved to a new rural Midwestern town by her
Eeva
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some major mixed feelings about this book.
On one hand it's not badly written and has a decent plot, but on the other it's weirdly written and the plot sometimes is just over the top.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book so much and I am so glad I got read it.

The story revolves around Steph and the AI she befriends.

Steph's had a lonely life moving from place to place to escape her abusive father. Her only friends are on the social media sites CatNet.

This is a wonderful story about friendship, loyalty and a kind-hearted AI who just wants to look at kitty pics.
Helen Power
Synopsis
This book is marketed as a dark thriller. I mean, look at that cover (Which, by the way, is not the cover it had when I requested it through NetGalley. That cover had cute cyber-kitties on it). Doesn't this cover make the book look dark and spooky? Even the description and the initial reviews made it sound like a dark thriller about an AI that goes off its rocker.

On the contrary, this is a light book about a girl who's always been on the run with her mother. They always have to move to
Joanna Bennett
One thing that caught my attention when it came to this book was the cover. I love cats and well it sold me! I obviously knew it wasn’t about cats but hey, its eye catching. I was actually surprised by how much I liked this one. There were definitely some positives and I only had a few issues with it overall.

The book has a unique layout when it comes to its chapters. At times there is only dialogue that looks how text would appear in a chat room online. I thought that was interesting and
lovebooks
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Do you know that the internet knows a lot about you? This book is about a mother and daughter running away from Steph’s dad. He’s a dangerous man. Steph never really had any real friends because she moved a lot. She goes online to a site called CatNet. She makes sure no one knows what she looks like or where she is. The chat room administrator is called CheshireCat. When Steph and her moms past life catches up with them her new friends help her find out the truth
lovebooks
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Lily
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, lgbt, 2019, arcs
***Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review!***

This was such an interesting story and the book absolutely flew by. I was engaged from the very beginning, and the different perspectives were so unique.

I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, but this one sounded interesting enough for me to be able to give it a try and not hate it-- and I'm so glad that I did. It combined YA thriller with a sci-fi story of a sentient AI.

I suggest
Teresa
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Thank you to NetGalley, Macmillan-Tom Doherty Associates, and Naomi Kritzer for the opportunity to read Catfishing on CatNet in exchange for an honest review.

From the description, I figured this book would be a fun novel for teen readers, as it relates to their interest in social media, privacy, and social life. This book not only nails the description on the head, but was a highly unexpected page-turner that I just couldn't put down!

The novel has three different chapter perspectives: Steph
Olivia
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So before you go into this book know that it is written with SJW-level political correctness, so if you can't stand that then this is not the book for you. It just really seems like the author was trying too hard to appeal to the millennial/gen-z population... but what do I know Naomi Kritzer might really think like that. Anyway, moving on.
Overall though, the book was okay. The plot was a bit far-fetched and really confusing at times, and it only really got interesting at the 75% mark so take
Sierra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was like the most bonkers/wild/wtf book I’ve read in a long time.
Stephanie
Steph's father is a very bad man. Her mother told her a story of her father burning their house down and they just barely escaped. Steph's mom has PTSD due to the trauma of her crazy ex-husband so she constantly moves them from town to town. This results in Steph not having any friends other than those she makes on CatNet. Now CatNet sounds like my kind of place. An internet site that you can upload your cat pictures too... I do this anyway! As it turns out though cat pictures were not the only ...more
MAB  LongBeach
A YA expansion of/sequel to Kritzer's award-winning story "Cat Pictures Please."

In the very near future, Steph has spent her entire life being dragged from one small town to another by her mother, hiding from her dangerous father. Never staying in one place long enough to make friends, Steph's social life is on the online board called CatNet, where the currency of choice is animal pictures, especially of cats. When Steph's life begins to spiral out of control, her friends--including the
Lisa Wright
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A YA thriller with a nerdy twist and an openness regarding gender identity. Teen-aged Steph doesn't remember a time when she and her mother weren't on the run from her father. Her only real friendships are with the people in her group on the CatNet website--a haven for animal loving outcasts. Things turn seriously dangerous when her mother falls ill And Steph realizes her father has picked up her trail and now her CatNet friends may be in danger, too. I really loved this!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
If you've read the short story “Cat Pictures Please”, then this may sound a bit familiar to you. It won the Hugo Award and Locus Award and was a finalist for the Nebula, and was such a fantastic read that it's now been expanded into a YA novel.

Set slightly into the future we have a world where robots are seen more and more - in schools, cleaning your house, making sandwiches and cakes upon request. They're also AI -real AI - who have the ability to sound and seem human. So much so, they can
Elle
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4/5
Source: eARC from Netgalley for review
Genre: YA sci-fi thriller
Pages: 288

Blurb: Steph and her mom are constantly on the run, moving every few months to hide from her stalker dad. She finds friends on CatNet, which it turns out is run by a sentient AI called CheshireCat. CheshireCat starts taking actions to protect Steph from her father, but eventually screws up so that Steph must go rescue CheshireCat.

Overall review:

I really liked this book! I've had a string of not-great reads for
Hannah
2.5/5. I downloaded an eARC from NetGalley via Tor Teen in exchange for an honest review. I think this was a very interesting look into what the future could hold for technology and internet privacy, which is always a relevant topic, given how prevalent social media is.

CatNet itself never made much sense to me. The currency of cat pictures was a cute idea, but this "exchange rate" wasn't consistent. Pictures that didn't feature cats were also welcome, but there were restrictions as to what
Jill
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Stephania Taylor loves bats. It’s a little unusual for a teenage girl to be so taken with bats, but Steph is unusual. She rarely makes friends at school, because she and her mom move around so much. She’s never dated. She hasn’t learned to drive. She’s learned to keep to herself and not make waves. Because the truth is, she has a secret.

Steph and her mother move a lot because of Steph’s father. He once tried to burn their house down, and Steph and her mother are deathly afraid of his finding
Jacqie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for review.

If you read "Cat Pictures, Please" and wanted more of the AI who just wants to look at cat picture and help people (but can't always navigate the social niceties of what is actually helpful) then here's a whole novel with the same feel. I'm not sure how much catfishing actually takes place in the book, but it makes a cute title.

This is definitely YA. Our heroine, Steph, is about 16 or 17, and hasn't ever lived in the same place
Mari Johnston
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: discussion of genitalia, queerphobia, ableism, abuse, racism, police misconduct, kidnapping, mutilation, torture, hospitals, medical procedures, house fire

Catfishing on Catnet was so much better than I ever imagined it could be and you should 100% read it as soon as you can!! There are so many incredible things about this story.

Having a ton of prominent characters in a book can get confusing quickly but
Sherwood Smith
Steph Taylor has never really learned to make friends after she was yanked from her first at age seven. Even before then she has always been on the move, and always in the middle of the night. Never with a destination named. Her mother says it’s for their own safety, as Steph's father is a psychopath and convicted arsonist, and if they show up on the grid in any way, he will find them.

Steph has always accepted this, but of late she’s begun to question details that don’t add up. Especially as her
Maria Haskins
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Naomi Kritzer's short fiction for years. She has a remarkable talent for writing sharply observed, subtly funny, and quietly profound stories that show a deep appreciation for the human condition. Her Hugo Award winning story "Cat Pictures, Please", about a kind and considerate AI that wants to do the best it can for people (and also really, really likes cat pictures) is one such story. Out of that piece of short fiction grew this wonderful, near-future science fiction novel about ...more
Kathy Martin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a near future science fiction thriller about a girl on the run and a computer network that is her one constant. Steph has been on the run with her mother since she was a small child. Her mother has told her that her father is a psychopath who tried to burn down their house, had her mother kidnapped, and tortured her. He is also very computer savvy and can track them down if they give the slightest hint of their presence online.

Steph has one online home - CatNet - and a bunch of good
Rebecca Davis
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The Captain
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

I have only read two of Naomi Kritzer's shorter length stories. One was the "The Thing About Ghost Stories” which was nominated for the 2019 Hugo for novelettes. The other was "Cat Pictures Please" which won the 2016 Locus and Hugo awards for best short story. This book ties into the 2016 story.

Steph and her mom have been on the run from her father for
Jen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*DRC review thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for dropping the review copy on my Kindle.*
Considering that the plot is pretty dark, this was a fun, light read. It'll be perfect for curling up with when it's November release rolls around, and you can read it with some warm drink curled up on the sofa. I found the plot unguessable and was pretty much on the edge of my seat up until the end of the book. I was worried that it would be too wrapped up for a sequel, which I started hoping for pretty
Courtney Lavallee
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't 100% sure what to expect in this novel. This was a pleasant surprise and I loved every minute of it.

I loved how in this novel it discuss technology. Especially since yes this is a futuristic book, in my opinion, we aren't far off from this being modern day. The way technology is advancing tells me that in a day not to far in the future we will have all of this and more.

The writing was
Kayla Mckinney
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
With thanks to Net Galley and McMillan for allowing me to review this ARC!

Catfishing on Catnet by Naomi Kritzer is a difficult book to review - because it’s a difficult book to read... and that’s a good thing.

The novel centers on the adventures and misadventures of high schooler Steph. Her life is continually in turmoil because her mother insists on constantly moving from town to town - for reasons Steph doesn’t precisely trust. In an effort to create a safe, stable space, Steph joins a “
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephanie's mother has explained that she is terrified of Stephanie's father and that's why they move constantly, and why they've changed names. A computer whiz, Stephanie's mom can work anywhere and has managed to put up enough firewalls to permit Steph to use the computer at home. Because she never stays in one place long, most of Stephanie's friends are online, in a group called CatNet. She doesn't have any consistent human contacts outside of her mother. So, when mom ends up hospitalized ...more

• Winterwood
  • The Hive
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • A Thousand Fires
  • The Grace Year
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Day Zero (Day Zero Duology #1)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Other Wife
  • Michigan vs. the Boys
  • The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)
  • Two Like Me and You
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Highfire
  • Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1)
  • Songs from the Deep