Start by marking “Starship Repo” as Want to Read:
Starship Repo

Starship Repo

(The Breach)

Starship Repo is a fast-paced romp through the galaxy from Patrick S. Tomlinson.

Firstname Lastname is a no one with nowhere to go. With a name that is the result of an unfortunate clerical error and destined to be one of the only humans on an alien space station. That is until she sneaks aboard a ship and joins up with a crew of repomen (they are definitely not pirates).

Published May 21st 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Starship Repo, please sign up.
Patrick Tomlinson Hello, Ian. Sorry I missed this question before now. Short answer, Gate Crashers and Starship Repo are set in a shared universe called The Breach, but…moreHello, Ian. Sorry I missed this question before now. Short answer, Gate Crashers and Starship Repo are set in a shared universe called The Breach, but share little in the way of characters or plot. Indeed, there's only one character from GC that makes a cameo in SR. We wanted Repo to be a new jumping off point for readers just hearing about The Breach. That said, they're both fun, fast reads. Tackle them however you like.(less)

Start your review of Starship Repo
Craig Pearson
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
DNF. The "light episodic humor" just did nothing for me. The allusions to current events seemed inappropriate and references to current cultural icons such as 'Star Wars' have no place in a novel set 4 centuries in the future. The humor just seemed silly and forced.

5/21/19 update
If you are here just to troll the author please do not like this review. It is easy to tell who the trolls are by looking at your profile.

Apparently there are some here who think this book is well written and all less th
Patrick Tomlinson
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sure, I'm hardly objective, but this is the best thing I've ever written, folks. Starship Repo delivers on the promise of its title. A teenaged human runaway gets caught up in an alien repossession company and runs around the galaxy stealing back starships from the 1%. There's thrills, chills, an 80's hair metal cover band, and a space chariot race. There's a transgender crab alien, a brain in a jar, a communal organism, and a hentai tentacle monster living in the sewers with strong opinions abo ...more
Koeur
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.7/5

Review: One of the main elements in a novel that I look for is character development. Story lines and logical progression come in second-ish. There are many ways to develop characters as to win over the reader. Mainly the movement is inspired enough to engage these personas with time molding the differences.

One douchebag reviewer stated that, “tThe “light episodic humor” just did nothing for me. The allusions current events seemed inappropriate and references to current cultural ico
The Captain
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

I have been meaning to check out Tomlinson's writing for a while and was glad to get a review copy from the publisher.  This one is a light and fluffy story that follows a repo company in space.  The main character is a human called "Firstname Lastname" due to a clerical error on her refugee status card.  First, as she goes by, is a grifter who uses tricks to con
Plat
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Derivative. Childish. Garbage.
Rolksam
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this book at the suggestion of a friend of mine who raved about the author for months and insisted that I would love his work. I chose his latest book because I figured why not. After 10 pages of excruciatingly bad writing void of any humour I was already exhausted. I would've gave up right there if I hadn't made a promise to my annoying friend so i tortured myself through it.

tl;dr Read Douglas Adams instead
Nanny
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Basically the turner diaries meets Lolita but in space. Might have rated a 3 had he delved deeper into the true identities of the characters who controlled the financial system.
Piret
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Uninspiring and bland
Shah of Iran
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was recommended this book by Goodreads because of my love of sci-fi and especially Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Forever War. This book borrows heavily from sci-fi authors such as Douglas Adams and William Tate. I did notice similarities to other works such as Futurama and Guardians of the Galaxy too. It seems this author lacks an original voice to call his own. While the author uses other author's idea to prop up his story, he lacks the humor and wit. Pop culture references are not ...more
Summer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing quality is poor. The descriptions are poor. There are too many modern-day references for a book supposedly set 400+ years in the future. It really broke the immersion for me and destroyed what world-building the author was trying to set up.

I think the premise of the book is quite fun, but I think that the execution was bad.
Ri
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not very good.
Hahsjkdhdhd
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Probably the worst thing I’ve ever read.
Neil Plakcy
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an imagination! The world of outer space comes alive in Mr. Tomlinson's deep and wide-ranging creation. From lobster-like females embarrassed by their claws to super-smart pilots who live in aquaria and all have the same name, to a boss who is a combination of creatures and can reorganize easily, Junktion is a weird place. Our heroine, Firstname Lastname, AKA First, is a smart teen human hacker who can easily steal air ships but has an emotional center. A great, fun, read.
Online Eccentric Librarian
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, sci-fi

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Starship Repo is a book of very dry and often amusing humor, never taking itself too seriously and clearly written around creating funny lines similar to a Douglas Adams book. At times, it did feel like the writer was trying a bit too hard to be clever, but I laughed often. As with Guardians of the Galaxy, we have a lot of cultural references from the 20th century: from every alien starship named tongue in cheek take
Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole)
Have I talked about how much I love heist stories? Because I do. Both in books (think Six of Crows) and movies (Ocean’s Eleven, The Italian Job, etc). Earlier this year I read Patrick S. Tomlinson’s novel Gate Crashers and loved it, so when I saw he had a new novel coming out that was more heists in space, how could I resist?

Starship Repo actually takes places in the same universe as Gate Crashers, but rest assured you don’t need to read that one first at all. There are some small callbacks for
Erik de Bie
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is well worth your time, if you like funny, irreverent, creative sci-fi.

Also, don’t believe all these trolls. No one deserves to be treated this way.
Fred Hughes
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another rousing adventure from the twisted mind of Patrick S. Tomlinson. Much like Scalzi the characters are all warped but highly functioning examples of their kind.

Wise asses and hard asses combine to make for a fun filled and action packed adventure as this motley crew goes about their business which is repossessing starships that have fallen behind in their payments.

RECOMMENDED Author and book
Contrarius
Jan 04, 2020 is currently reading it
I just heard about this book because of all the trolls who have been attacking it.

Congrats, trolls, you just made another sale for Patrick!

This isn't the sort of sf that I would automatically be drawn to -- but if a bunch of idiot trolls hate it, it must be worth a try.

I've just purchased the audio version. I'll report back in a few days -- Stay Tuned!
Liz (Quirky Cat)
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Starship Repo through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Starship Repo is the newest novel from the mind of Patrick S. Tomlinson. And honestly, I couldn’t be happier about picking this novel up. I’ve been really craving something like this lately, but I hadn’t been able to put it into words until now. I wanted a space opera with a healthy sense of comedic relief and character building. I got all of that here.
Starship Repo is honestly exactly what it sounds
Aly White
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I tried to keep myself from binge-reading this book in one day, so it took me a bit longer. I also don't tend to write reviews, but I make exceptions based on the books and writers.

I am not normally a reader of science fiction, I am more of an avid reader of fantasy and urban fantasy. After reading the Children of a Dead Earth trilogy by this author/comedian, I got sucked into his writing of science fiction. Pretty sure if I hadn't of read the other trilogy, I might not have enjoyed or apprecia
Alexia Cambaling
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to NetGalley and Tor Books!

Starship Repo is the story of a girl, who due to an unfortunate data entry error, is given the name Firstname Lastname. In an unfamiliar location. First thrives by doing a variety of odd jobs (or let’s just say cons) and she succeeds until she gets the attention of a repossession team whose job is to recover spaceships.

The book is told in a mostly episodic form revolving around all sorts
Ernest
Apr 09, 2019 added it
Her name is Firstname, Lastname, thanks to a clerical error, and she's human, not something you see every day walking into a galactic hub like Junktion Hyperspace Station. After all, humans have only been feed from their wildlife sanctuary for a few decades, and the Galaxy is a big place. If the customs inspector who greeted her knew how much trouble a teenaged juvenile delinquent could cause, or that his wallet was about to go missing, he'd have had second thoughts about granting that temporary ...more
John
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, for anyone who really needs a lift in life, here is a truly heartwarming and hilarious SF novel that sings from first line to acknowledgements. Being a collector of bon mots, I was spoiled for choice...so here’s a selection:

“Welcome to McDonald’s,” said a giant brain floating in a jar, with tentacles where a spinal cord should be. “My name is Fenax. May I take your order?”

“First, this is Hashin,” Jrill said. “Hashin, First. We’re all going to be friends or die trying.”

“Eat a sentient? Surely
Janet Martin
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny and fun, this episodic novel is filled with off the wall aliens and one larcenous human teen
Pat Powers
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, excellent space opera, full of humor and adventure and some really well-written aliens. It's not a civilizations-at-stake story like its predecessor "Gate Crashers," it deals with the relatively humdrum experiences of a young human woman who falls in with a band of alien starship reposessors, just like it says in the title. But "relatively" is a dangerous word, as any physicist will tell you, and there is absolutely a lot fun to be had in reading this book. Most entertaining, high ...more
James
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf
A light and fluffy novel filled with snarky, smart alecks as well as goons, grifters and the like. Don't dive too deep in this novel, you'll hurt your head. A decent read if you're looking for something funny that doesn't require much thought.
Merren Tait
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book at my local library in New Zealand and grabbed it on spec.
It was fun, witty - a good space romp. I really enjoyed the humour and had some genuine laugh-out moments.
Matt
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, now THIS book was FUNNY.
Paula Lyle
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I don't know anything about this author or what is going on with this book.

The book itself is a silly bit of a thing. The humor is slight but good-natured. The plot careens all over the place, but is not in any way offensive. Just a standard caper novel set in space with lots of different aliens.

I received an eARC from NetGalley.
Peter
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i liked it. a romp in the best sense of the word. people who didn’t like it have a stick up their arse.
« previous 1 3 next »
Fake reviewers 3 125 Dec 18, 2019 01:56PM

• The Crimson Pact Volume 1 (The Crimson Pact #1)
  • Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1)
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)
  • Honoria (Starship Repo, #3)
  • Shining Path (Starship Repo, #2)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine Issue 47
  • The Crimson Pact Volume Three (The Crimson Pact, #3)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • Repo Virtual
  • Nobody's Victim: Fighting Psychos, Stalkers, Pervs, and Trolls
  • Young Zaphod Plays It Safe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #0.5)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
Patrick S. Tomlinson lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with his wife, a menagerie of houseplants in varying levels of health, a Mustang, and a Triumph motorcycle bought specifically to embarrass and infuriate Harley riders. When not writing sci-fi and fantasy novels and short stories, Patrick is busy developing his other passion for writing and performing stand-up comedy in the Madison, Milwaukee, and ...more

The Breach (2 books)