Start by marking “Happily and Madly: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Happily and Madly: A Novel

Happily and Madly: A Novel

Maris Brown has been told two things about her destiny:

1. She will fall happily and madly in love.
2. She could be dead before she turns eighteen.

The summer before that fateful birthday, Maris is in the wealthy beach town of Cross Cove with her estranged father and his new family--and the infamous Duvals. Since the youngest member of the Duval family, Edison, is back from c
Published May 21st 2019 by Tor Teen

Nicole ❤
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
"There’s a certain rush that comes with lying. I think a lot of people probably don’t like it— the racing heart, the sweaty palms, the fear of being caught. These are the things that made lying worth it for me. All that buildup and anticipation wondering if you’ll get away with it."
📖 Happily & Madly 📖
🖋Alexis Bass
Read as an eARC.
Much thanks to NetGalley and Tor Teen, an imprint of Macmillan, Tor-Forge for this complimentary copy. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own.

BU
Michele
4 1/2 "shooting" stars!

Maris was spending the summer with her father and his "new family." Their relationship was already a rocky one as he had left Maris and her mother and married his pregnant girlfriend and adopted her daughter, Chelsea, who just happened to be the same age as Maris.

They head to Cross Cove, a beach where the wealthy vacation. Chelsea is beyond excited because her boyfriend, Edison and his family will be there also. Therefore, Maris and the "New Browns" (as she calls her fathe
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2 STARS

Maris arrives in Cross Cove to spend the summer with her father and his new family, including Chelsea, the daughter of his new wife whom he adopted. On her first night Maris saves a boy named Finn, who happens to be Chelsea’s boyfriend Edison. Soon Maris is embroiled in a deadly mystery.

I thought I was going to enjoy HAPPILY AND MADLY from the beginning. I liked Maris, who had been in more trouble than most eighteen year olds and also had insight into her behaviors. I loved that Alexis Ba
Alexa
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass was a character-driven mystery that struck a perfect balance between compelling pageturner and slow burn read. How can a pageturner also be a slow burn? Basically I was pulled in and compelled to come back to the book over 3 successive nights, but the writing was moody, languid, warm and easy to slip into like the perfect bubble bath... I didn't want to rush because I wanted the read to last.

First I am disappointed in myself that this is the first Alexis Bass boo
Lindsay
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I was hoping this would take on a We Were Liars vibe, but I was dissatisfied as the story progressed and everything remained the same. I didn’t realize this until after 36% since up until that point the plot was still setting up. Maris is spending the summer with her father, his new wife, her stepsister, and her infant half-sister in the coastal New England town of Cross Cove. She goes exploring in the woods on her first day there and sees a bleeding and bruised guy limping away from something. ...more
Anna Mullins
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. Maris, the rebellious but kind teenager. Edison, the troubled but loving boy who just wants to be loved. Chelsea, the purest and genuine girl, who despite her circumstances always sees the best in people. I enjoyed the story and how the twists unraveled. I wish there was more of an ending, however. I was left feeling like there was a little more to tell.
Kristin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars... that was a smart, engaging, totally appropriate YA mystery!!! Not too heavy, not too light, just right. I can't say too much b/c it's always, ALWAYS better going into any mystery knowing nothing ;) I was completely satisfied with the ending, too. No cheese here... okay, maybe a wee bit but totally fits.
Mrs.
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of Happily and Madly. I absolutely ADORE this novel. It was heart-pumping, heart-crushing, and heart-warming all at once. So many secrets. Lies. I especially loved the suspense of Finn's life and the risk-taking behavior that he and Maris shared. I will INTENTLY search for and read work from this author again.

Thank you to NetGalley and Alexis Bass for the ARC!
Deborah Hightower
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass. This is the first novel I have read by this author; it was wonderful. It was a real page turner: a combination of romance, mystery, lies and money. The secrets being kept by many of the characters kept me totally engrossed in the book.
Claryy
MsArdychan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the description given on Goodreads, one would think Madly and Happily, by Alexis Bass is a novel about forbidden summer love. It is. But it is also a fast-paced thriller filled with shady business deals, mysterious characters, and complicated relationships. Set against a backdrop of a summer resort town, this book was a page-turner.

What I Liked:

Setting:

The beach town of Cross Cove, with its mix of local residents and wealthy visitors, reminds me of my hometown of Santa Barbara, California.
KarenJo Custodio
2.75-3 Stars

Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass didn’t make me madly in love with the story or happily satisfied with everything. I’m actually quite conflicted with this book. I was intrigued in the beginning and there are things I liked, but in the end it just wasn’t the book for me.

Maris Brown is not a character I would say I loved and could relate to, but she’s also not someone I dislike. In many ways, my heart broke for her and everything she’s been through and is still going through. On the
Brooke Lorren
There are things that I did and didn't like about this book. Overall, I find myself on the fence about it.

Maris Brown is visiting her father and his new family for the summer. She has been into some trouble in her life before, and her mom is hoping that maybe a few months in a wealthy neighborhood with respectable people will help her.

The first thing I'm on the fence about is the main character, Maris Brown. I feel for her in many ways... and in many ways, I do not. She is a child of a broken fa
Pretty Little Bibliophile
Author: Alexis Bass
Publishing date: 21 May, 2019
Publisher: Macmillan-Tor/Forge
Genre: Teens and YA
Format: Netgalley e-arc

My review:
I think that Happily and Madly was a great psychological novel. In one way it really reminded me of WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart. I found the protagonist – Maris a very sharp girl with lots of potential. Like Sepp (another character that I absolutely loved) said, she does not ever “miss a thing”. The characters in this book all have their own secrets and the way the a
Giulia
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-average
"Destruction can be tempting"

TW: drugs, alcohol, death

Truly, for once, I’m going to keep this Rather Random Review™ short (and thus slightly underwhelming).

This should have been a thriller but it was too slow moving to actually be thrilling.

It had interesting twists and turns and I truly liked Maris – the main character. She was fierce, incredibly cunning and super smart. I’d say that she was an amazing Slytherin type of character. Being in her head was engrossing and I liked her perspective on
Annette
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Happily and Madly. I couldn't put it down.

Maris is from a broken family and is going to spend the summer at an island rental with her father’s new family (the New Browns). This includes her father's new wife and baby, and a teen daughter, Chelsea, whom he has adopted. She is, of course, resentful of them, since they are the reason her father left her and her mother alone.

She's uncomfortable with all the happiness and while alone on a hike, she meets
Maria Zuppardi
I received a free copy from Raincoast Books in exchange for an honest review (and you can read my full review on my blog, ReadingMaria.

This book was not really what I expected it to be….I don’t know, I guess I just had high expectations for it, and it fell pretty flat. The characters weren’t there, the plot itself did not reflect real life at all, and the manuscript itself was just not there – I think it should’ve gone through a round of editing first before it was printed as an ARC. It just isn
Alias Valia
Plot 9
Intrigue 7
Logic 9
Enjoyment 9

I loved it. I thought this was going to be a normal story about a girl finding her way with a strange boy on a beautiful beach. And then, it got me on some shady adventures, without knowing who I could trust and if it was going where I was wondering it would. And THEN, it surprises me with such a beautiful and real ending!
Maris was a great narrator and main character. I've found her to be real: with flaws but never condec
Jasmin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway, favorites
This book was a mystery to me when I started reading it. I went in with no expectations but it was better than I imagined it could have been. I thought it would be predictable and more cliche than anything, but I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't. I didn't expect most if any, twists or what was going to happen next. The whole time I was just saying 'One more chapter'. I related to the characters in so many ways, and I will definitely recommend it to others. My only complaint was the ending, whi ...more
Helenasghost
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The start of this novel is a little slow; theres the meeting of the teens, some courageous activities and a little running around behind her parents back. And then theres nothing for a while...

Once the first big twist happens however, I started to get a bit of a We Were Liars feel. There is intrigue, a lovely twist relating to the love interest and a guy who eventually came through in the end.

I found the story was very indepth although some of the characters involved, especially the new step-sis
Leah
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-2019
Reminded me of We Were Liars in its portrayal of a family shiny on the surface but with secrets and tension waiting to be revealed beneath (not just because they both take place during summer on an island!). I really appreciated the descriptive and fluid writing, and especially the well-rounded characters. Maris came across nicely, and had perfectly understandable and deeply-felt emotions about her familial situation while avoiding stereotypical angry outbursts. Although not necessarily believab ...more
Chrissy Kirby
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass can be summed up with one word... Intriguing! It started off slow for me but when "Finn" entered the picture, I was glued to the book. It had a little bit of romance, a little mystery and it kept my interest.
I felt Maris' emotions throughout the book. I felt her love, I felt her anger, I felt her loss. Alexis Bass did a wonderful job portraying the characters and the surroundings without going into obnoxious detail (huge pet peeve of mine), so I was very excited
Reggie Virus
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
McKenna Studrawa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely riveting. I was not expecting any of the plot twists and everything kept becoming more and more bizarre. It reminded me of We Were Liars, yet I definitely feel like I liked this book more. Definitely give Happily and Madly a chance.
Lauri
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, ya
Thank you, NetGalley for the ARC of Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass.
I was pulled into Maris' story, however, I felt the ending was too rushed and too far-fetched. However, I will still put a copy in my classroom library and book talk it next year.
bookborrower
The “twists” in the book were predictable and not at all surprising like the reviews lead you to believe. I only gave it two stars rather then one because it’s well written and I loved the characters, but the premise was just disappointing.
Cecilia Duran
It was not a very good book. Repetitive storyline.
My.Purrfect.Reads
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
4,5 stars for this great book!

•Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a complimentary copy of “Happily and Madly” by Alexis Bass in exchange for my honest review•

Because the book from the very beginning welcomes us with a surprising twist of action on the plot, I will not say much more than what is already included in the description. I do not want to spoil anyone. I hope you will read this book because it is worth it. And you will enjoy every moment just like me. This book is narrated by Maris Br

• The Best Lies
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Jake in the Box
  • All We Could Have Been
  • How the Light Gets In
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • In Another Life
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Outside
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
Alexis Bass grew up in Washington, went to college in Arizona, and spent her early twenties in Seattle. She currently lives in Northern California with Dylan McKay, her gorgeous and rambunctious golden retriever. She loves good fashion and good TV as much as a good book, and is a huge advocate of the three C’s: coffee, chocolate, and cheese. LOVE AND OTHER THEORIES is her first novel.