Start by marking “Happily and Madly” as Want to Read:
Happily and Madly

Happily and Madly

Alexis Bass' Happily and Madly is a mature, twisty, compulsively readable YA suspense novel about a young girl who embraces a fate bound in love and mystery.

Maris Brown has been told two things about her destiny:

1. She will fall happily and madly in love.
2. She could be dead before she turns eighteen.

The summer before that fateful birthday, Maris is in the wealthy beach t
Published May 21st 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Happily and Madly, please sign up.
Cal (Cal's Reading Corner) I misunderstood this too! I don't know why the dust jacket says that she's her step brother / her new family is the Duvals. It needs to change! …moreI misunderstood this too! I don't know why the dust jacket says that she's her step brother / her new family is the Duvals. It needs to change! (less)

Start your review of Happily and Madly
Yna the Mood Reader
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
"There’s a certain rush that comes with lying. I think a lot of people probably don’t like it— the racing heart, the sweaty palms, the fear of being caught. These are the things that made lying worth it for me. All that buildup and anticipation wondering if you’ll get away with it."
📖 Happily & Madly 📖
🖋Alexis Bass
Read as an eARC.
Much thanks to NetGalley and Tor Teen, an imprint of Macmillan, Tor-Forge for this complimentary copy. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own
Kajree Gautom
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't lie, I mostly requested this book because of the cover. But it was such a brilliantly done book and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Maris, while on vacation with her estranged father’s family, wanders out into the island where she encounters Finn. And saves him, of course. Right from that moment, I had my doubts on Finn and his truth. I did not trust him at all and my guts were right.

For the first part, the story progresses very slowly while planting down the seeds of mystery and suspense. I w
Alexa
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass was a character-driven mystery that struck a perfect balance between compelling pageturner and slow burn read. How can a pageturner also be a slow burn? Basically I was pulled in and compelled to come back to the book over 3 successive nights, but the writing was moody, languid, warm and easy to slip into like the perfect bubble bath... I didn't want to rush because I wanted the read to last.

First I am disappointed in myself that this is the first Alexis Bass boo
Cal  (Cal's Reading Corner)
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Were Were Liars and Gossip Girl Season 2 when they're at the Hamptons
Shelves: own, 2019-releases
It’s 11:47pm and I’m a mess. Review to come, after I get 12hrs sleep and manage to stop crying.

-----

✨ For more book-focused fun, check out my socials: ✨  📚 Blog | BookTube | Twitter 📚

Overall thoughts:
I devoured this book! I cannot emphasise this enough in my reviews: I live the lifestyle of a granny. My daily habits include staying under my blankets, wearing my pjs, reading, or drinking tea. So when I tell you I stayed up until 12am to finish this book, it's a big deal for me.

I found
Megan Hibbs
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nuts. This book was nuts. Very intriguing page-turner nonetheless.
Michele
4 1/2 "shooting" stars!

Maris was spending the summer with her father and his "new family." Their relationship was already a rocky one as he had left Maris and her mother and married his pregnant girlfriend and adopted her daughter, Chelsea, who just happened to be the same age as Maris.

They head to Cross Cove, a beach where the wealthy vacation. Chelsea is beyond excited because her boyfriend, Edison and his family will be there also. Therefore, Maris and the "New Browns" (as she calls her fathe
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sorry not the book for me.
Denali
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
So much beauty, but what does it cost?
How many lies? How many secrets?

Well friends, here we have yet another great recommendation from Kate. If you've read the synopsis, you probably thought to yourself, This sounds like a super easy, romantic read. Perfect for summer. And you would be wrong.

Happily and Madly is, in fact, a great read. And it was probably my favorite read of the summer. However, it's also anything but a quick romantic read. What made this so phenomenal and unputdownable was t

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2 STARS

Maris arrives in Cross Cove to spend the summer with her father and his new family, including Chelsea, the daughter of his new wife whom he adopted. On her first night Maris saves a boy named Finn, who happens to be Chelsea’s boyfriend Edison. Soon Maris is embroiled in a deadly mystery.

I thought I was going to enjoy HAPPILY AND MADLY from the beginning. I liked Maris, who had been in more trouble than most eighteen year olds and also had insight into her behaviors. I loved that Alexis Ba
Kristin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars... that was a smart, engaging, totally appropriate YA mystery!!! Not too heavy, not too light, just right. I can't say too much b/c it's always, ALWAYS better going into any mystery knowing nothing ;) I was completely satisfied with the ending, too. No cheese here... okay, maybe a wee bit but totally fits. ...more
Giulia
"Destruction can be tempting"

TW: drugs, alcohol, death

Truly, for once, I’m going to keep this Rather Random Review™️ short (and thus slightly underwhelming).

This should have been a thriller but it was too slow moving to actually be thrilling.

It had interesting twists and turns and I truly liked Maris – the main character. She was fierce, incredibly cunning and super smart. I’d say that she was an amazing Slytherin type of character. Being in her head was engrossing and I liked her perspective o
Sophia
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Tasha Leigh
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The start of this novel is a little slow; theres the meeting of the teens, some courageous activities and a little running around behind her parents back. And then theres nothing for a while...

Once the first big twist happens however, I started to get a bit of a We Were Liars feel. There is intrigue, a lovely twist relating to the love interest and a guy who eventually came through in the end.

I found the story was very indepth although some of the characters involved, especially the new step-sis
CapesandCovers
I picked this up on a whim at a convention last year, because the cover really drew me in, but the vague premise on the back of my ARC just never motivated me to start it until now. I also feel that it was a bit misleading, it makes it sound like fate is driving a plot of impending doom in the story, and it's not like that at all. Ignoring that, Happily and Madly surprised me, it was more honest and raw than I was expecting it to be, and I ended up reading it pretty quickly.

Happily and Madly fol
Lindsay
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I was hoping this would take on a We Were Liars vibe, but I was dissatisfied as the story progressed and everything remained the same. I didn’t realize this until after 36% since up until that point the plot was still setting up. Maris is spending the summer with her father, his new wife, her stepsister, and her infant half-sister in the coastal New England town of Cross Cove. She goes exploring in the woods on her first day there and sees a bleeding and bruised guy limping away from something. ...more
Katherine
”’It’s going to happen to you,’ she said. ‘You will fall happily and madly in love.’”

The fortune teller was wrong on this one, because I did not fall happily and madly in love with this book.

An outsider who goes to vacation with her estranged and rich family in the summer. What could possibly go wrong? The answer is everything. Despite a fairly strong start, it got bogged down by a languishing middle section and a convoluted mystery that I couldn’t bring myself to care about. The author mad
McKenna Studrawa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: future-rereads
This book was absolutely riveting. I was not expecting any of the plot twists and everything kept becoming more and more bizarre. It reminded me of We Were Liars, yet I definitely feel like I liked this book more. Definitely give Happily and Madly a chance.
Caitlyn
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Stilted dialogue, complex character dynamics. Not quite compelling.
Christy
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexis Bass has perfected the unlikeable female character and this book is MAGNIFICENT. Full RTC
Sara
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap.

Although this is a YA thriller it read like an adult novel.

The characters 10/10
The setting 10/10
The mystery/ plot 10/10
The romance 100/10

wow wow wow wow
Anna Mullins
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. Maris, the rebellious but kind teenager. Edison, the troubled but loving boy who just wants to be loved. Chelsea, the purest and genuine girl, who despite her circumstances always sees the best in people. I enjoyed the story and how the twists unraveled. I wish there was more of an ending, however. I was left feeling like there was a little more to tell.
Yuska Vonita
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it

This book slowly builds up the mood and tension. Everything in this book is just right. No over the top characters and the twist will hit you in the end.
MsArdychan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the description given on Goodreads, one would think Madly and Happily, by Alexis Bass is a novel about forbidden summer love. It is. But it is also a fast-paced thriller filled with shady business deals, mysterious characters, and complicated relationships. Set against a backdrop of a summer resort town, this book was a page-turner.

What I Liked:

Setting:

The beach town of Cross Cove, with its mix of local residents and wealthy visitors, reminds me of my hometown of Santa Barbara, California
Bridget
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book totally wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I picked it up on a whim at my library after glancing at the newest YA picks. I enjoyed the surprise of a more action-packed novel than the typical summer romance book I was expecting Happily and Madly to be. I liked Alexis Bass' character descriptions and attention to detail. Something I didn't like was that it took about halfway into the novel for the plot to really pick up. Once there, I couldn't stop reading. I'm still kind of stunn ...more
KarenJo Custodio
2.75-3 Stars

Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass didn’t make me madly in love with the story or happily satisfied with everything. I’m actually quite conflicted with this book. I was intrigued in the beginning and there are things I liked, but in the end it just wasn’t the book for me.

Maris Brown is not a character I would say I loved and could relate to, but she’s also not someone I dislike. In many ways, my heart broke for her and everything she’s been through and is still going through. On the
Brooke Lorren
There are things that I did and didn't like about this book. Overall, I find myself on the fence about it.

Maris Brown is visiting her father and his new family for the summer. She has been into some trouble in her life before, and her mom is hoping that maybe a few months in a wealthy neighborhood with respectable people will help her.

The first thing I'm on the fence about is the main character, Maris Brown. I feel for her in many ways... and in many ways, I do not. She is a child of a broken fa
Annette
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Happily and Madly. I couldn't put it down.

Maris is from a broken family and is going to spend the summer at an island rental with her father’s new family (the New Browns). This includes her father's new wife and baby, and a teen daughter, Chelsea, whom he has adopted. She is, of course, resentful of them, since they are the reason her father left her and her mother alone.

She's uncomfortable with all the happiness and while alone on a hike, she meets
Mrs.
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of Happily and Madly. I absolutely ADORE this novel. It was heart-pumping, heart-crushing, and heart-warming all at once. So many secrets. Lies. I especially loved the suspense of Finn's life and the risk-taking behavior that he and Maris shared. I will INTENTLY search for and read work from this author again.

Thank you to NetGalley and Alexis Bass for the ARC!
Deborah Hightower
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of Happily and Madly by Alexis Bass. This is the first novel I have read by this author; it was wonderful. It was a real page turner: a combination of romance, mystery, lies and money. The secrets being kept by many of the characters kept me totally engrossed in the book.
Gemma
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a real mixed bag for me.

On the one hand, I think the book has a lot going for it. Maris was a compelling character. I loved that the book showed her working through some messy emotions. I loved that Maris had a lot of flaws, and that people called her out on them. It was also easy to feel sympathy for her given the situation with her family. I also thought the book conjured up the image of this idyllic, sea side town very well.

However, for me personally I just couldn't love Maris. She

• Just Breathe
  • Something Like Gravity
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • You Were Never Here
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
Alexis Bass grew up in Washington, went to college in Arizona, and spent her early twenties in Seattle. She currently lives in Northern California with Dylan McKay, her gorgeous and rambunctious golden retriever. She loves good fashion and good TV as much as a good book, and is a huge advocate of the three C’s: coffee, chocolate, and cheese. LOVE AND OTHER THEORIES is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing...