Start by marking “Whisper Network” as Want to Read:
Whisper Network

Whisper Network

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  8,597 ratings  ·  1,342 reviews
Four women learn their boss (a man who’s always been surrounded by rumors about how he treats women) is next in line to be CEO—what will happen when they decide enough is enough?

Sloane, Ardie, Grace, and Rosalita are four women who have worked at Truviv, Inc., for years. The sudden death of Truviv's CEO means their boss, Ames, will likely take over the entire company. Ames
Published July 2nd 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Whisper Network, please sign up.
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition No, you can feel the anxiety from each character - there are some lighter moments, but I wouldn't classify it as a humorous read at all.
Cassondra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,597 ratings  ·  1,342 reviews

Paromjit
Chandler Baker has written an unflinching must read novel for our times, for every generation of women and girls of a family and perhaps, even more pertinent, for every man and boy to read. In this story, we are immersed into our #MeToo contemporary world, set in Dallas, and the Truviv corporation, and its power structures, politics and culture. Four women, Ardie, Sloane and Grace, in house lawyers in the department of North American Legal Affairs, and cleaner Rosalita, a single mom with young s ...more
Meredith
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
“Listen.”

Whisper Network is a timely and powerful read about four women working in corporate America who band together to stop the whispers and speak up about sexual harassment and assault in the workplace.

This is part mystery part women’s fiction, and part social commentary told through the voices of four women. They are done covering for their predator of a boss. They hear the whispers that surround him--they have been subjects of the gossip. Some are his victims, while others have been com
Holly  B

4.5 STARS

An corporate office full of whispers, tension, and secrets. #MeTOO # BuzzyBook

If you are tired of predictable thrillers that seem too formulaic, give this time bomb of secrets, lies, and regrets a go! It still has the feel of a thriller, but so much more.

I was drawn into the whole atmosphere of Truviv, Inc. The tension that developed after the CEO's sudden death, what that would mean for the women who had worked there for years, and the anxiety that surrounded his replacement. This pr
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four powerful, provocative, remarkable, outstanding, effective, encouraging, the women’s story who knows to say no and who are ready to fight back stars!!!

This is amazing mashup of Big Little Lies’ office version and 80’s movie( Tomlin, Parton, Fonda) Nine to Five’s dramatic version takes place at now! Add some media power and sexual abuse cases! We have a great book in our hands!

Imagine a business world dominated by powerful men who see women as expendable objects, needed to be terminated if t
Susanne  Strong
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Fabulous Stars.

Alrighty then! Let’s get down to the nitty gritty: I went into this novel having very few preconceived notions and it worked for me - I freaking loved it!

You know what they say.. Hell hath no fury..

So, the “Whisper Network,” what can I tell you? It is in fact controversial, salacious and terrifying, especially if you work in a professional environment (which I do). Game freaking on ladies and gents.

Four women work in a male dominated corporate environment and are sick and ti
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
"By whispering, whose secrets were we keeping anyway - ours or theirs? Whose interests did our silence ultimately protect?... we grew tired of whispering because what were we hiding, after all? We had stories, all of us. Would speaking up cost us? Maybe. But maybe it would cost them, too."

So while this book definitely speaks to an important and timely issue for women, I simply did not love how it was executed here. It's billed as a thriller that is part murder mystery and part manifesto - it i
Dem
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The Whisper Network by chandler Baker was entertaining but boy did I struggle with this one for the first 200 pages

I had seen where many readers have compared this one to Big Little Lies and I have to agree they are quite silimiar and this is probably why I picked this one up in the first place but I didnt find it as witty or as compelling as Big Little Lies.

The book does have “ The me too campaign” at the heart of its story” as Four women Sloane, Ardie, Grace and Rosalita have worked in the sa
leslie hamod
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary read! Transcends imagination! This combines thriller, general fiction and womens issues. A book I couldn't help but read straight through.
A novel which hits every nerve. A book of betrayal. A book that made me weep tears of experience.
Women work jobs which seemed out of reach in my young up and coming years. But as high administration, I signed away my rights to legal action for a two week check and a nondisclosure agreement.
Ignorance, lies and stories which circulate destroy reput
Liz
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio

This book deals with the issues facing women in the working world - the attempt to have it all, the sexual harassment, the pay gaps. It was actually depressing for me. As a woman in her 60s who’s now retired, all these were issues I faced in my 20s, 30s and 40s. I guess I had hoped the younger generations were having an easier time of it. Not so. There’s even a subplot of school age bullying of one woman’s 10 year old daughter.

TWN covers four women, lawyers for an active wear company along with
Lola
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Of all the stories from female authors that have been published this month, this is the one Reese chooses for her book club? I mean it’s her book club, she can do whatever she wants, but I normally understand why a book is highlighted and right now I’m confused. While this is a timely story with somewhat meaningful commentary on womanhood, wifehood, motherhood and the power relations at play on the work field between men and women, the plot itself is nothing captivating because nothing new is ac ...more
Michelle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.75 stars.

The idea was there, but ultimately, the execution was not.

I tried really hard to like this book, especially since it should have been perfectly designed for me. I work in a male dominated corporate environment and my major in college saw me as 1 of 2 females in a class of 40-50 young men. (All but one of my professors were men as well.) So I was excited to read this and cheer on the characters as they fought against misogyny and chauvinistic attitudes (when they appeared) as they tri
Katharine
[DNF @ 75%] I picked this up after seeing it recommended a few times and wanting an engaging read for a vacation. While it did the job of keeping me interested, it was ultimately not for me.

I decided to put it down when I came across the following quote:
"We lived with guilt the way other people lived with chronic medical conditions, only arguably ours was the less treatable."

As someone living with a chronic medical condition, I found this statement to be completely out of line, dismissive, and
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading Whisper Network on 6/24/2019 and finished it on 6/30/2019. This book was well written though I started to read expecting thrills in a thriller but I’m left with going through the motions of waiting for when the thrills will begin, all the way up to page 209 out of page 392. The second half is a bit better but I wouldn’t say it was thrilling. This story focuses on the #metoo movement where women come together against men for sexual harassment. They whisper to each other what the ...more
Bkwmlee
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it

Written as a response to the #metoo movement and the various sexual harassment scandals that have made headlines over the past few years, author Chandler Baker’s propulsive new book Whisper Network is an interesting look into corporate elite culture and a male-dominated work environment where “whispers” and rumors abound. The story’s powerful opening line sets the trajectory of the narrative into motion: “If only you’d listened to us, none of this would have happened.” The narration a
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I love reading books about women banding together and looking out for one another... whether men want to believe it or not, the way we are treated, expected to act and look, the struggles we go through in life and in our careers because of our gender color every aspect of our lives. It isn't about "innocent until proven guilty" it's about believing women. This novel is so timely and relevant and TRUE.

Climbing off my soapbox now, I want to say I really enjoyed this book! I loved the characters wh
Nadia
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
I've been waiting for a fiction book that would focus on the mistreatment of women in a male dominated workplace for a long time. I found this book very timely in the current decade of sexual abuse scandals and the #metoo movement.

The main female protagonists are successful lawyers who all experienced some form of sexual harassment by their male colleagues. What I liked about the book was the strong bond and friendship between the women who stuck together no matter what, risking their careers.

Wh
Cindy Burnett
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Chandler Baker’s new novel, Whisper Network, is part thriller and part ripped from the headlines commentary on today’s society. She tackles what it means to be a woman, particularly a working woman, in the #MeToo era while creating a whodunit with a clever and surprising resolution. Her characters are authentic, multi-faceted, and human, and readers will be cheering these women on as they attempt to takedown their harassing and manipulative boss. Baker’s prose is witty and dramatic, and
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Surely I can't be the only one who read this synopsis and started singing . . . .

Tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life
Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'
Out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5

Dear Reese and your Book Club: My expectations for this one are pretty high.
Jill McGill
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read... definitely keeps you guessing and turning the pages as fast as you can!

The Whisper Network is a fascinating, fast-paced, and timely whodunit thriller that is set in the #METOO-Movement. Chandler Baker does an excellent job tackling women's issues of our time. Sisterhood at its best... I believe women from allover will love this book!

A murder mystery that's gripping, twisty, and very addictive... Highly Recommend!

“I received a free ARC of Whisper Network by Chandler Baker from Mac
Kendall
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun and addicting ride!!

A corporate office full of scandals, lies, tensions, and secrets.

Such a fun buddy read I had with Holly! I definitely recommend this one if you're tired of predictable thrillers. This is different and still has that fun addicting ride that you're aiming for!

I respect Chandler Baker so much for writing about a such a difficult topic of sexual harassment. This story focuses on four women that struggle to make it through the corporate world with challenges of sexual
Carol (Bookaria)
What happens when four women have had enough at their workplace? This is the story of Sloane, Ardie, Grace, Katherine, and Rosalita and the actions they take end up having dramatic consequences for all of them.

The story alternates between the present and the past. There is a crime and the author reveals piece by piece the events leading to that point. Part of the story is told in the format of police interviews, which I enjoyed and thought was written cleverly.

The novel is about friendship, work
Joellen Hunt
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did so many people like this novel? I did not care about these characters at all, around page 100 I had to skip to the end to see where the plot was going.

It was like slogging through mud to get to the end. UGH!
Juli
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sloane, Ardie, Grace, and Rosalita....these four women have had enough. They are tired of cover-ups, lies, whispered rumors about ill treatment that nobody is brave enough to report, sick of corporate mistreatment of professional women....just sick of it all. The final straw? The CEO of the company they work for unexpectedly dies....and Ames Garrett -- a real wanker -- is next in line for the job. The work place is about to get a lot worse for every woman in the company. So they take matters int ...more
Randi (randi_reads)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a struggle for me to get through. Slow, slow burn. I felt it was way too long of a story and took too long to get to what the heart of the story is. Parts of it just dragged on. The main characters were very undistinguishable in their voices. If I didn't see the name printed, I was kind of lost as to what character the chapter/section was about. They also weren't very likeable...Sloane, in particular.

I get that the subject matter of this book is very relevant today, but it just wasn't e
Amy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook

This is not a thriller, not even close.
Julianne Bailey
I was so excited to receive this ARC but unfortunately this book didn’t work for me. I find it’s timeliness to be wonderful, and it certainly encourages a lot of discussion and reflection. It addresses some uncomfortable truths. But it’s a little too heavy handed at times, and the pacing was way off. It dragged a lot in places, the characters were mostly extremely unrelatable and unlikeable. As a working mother and attorney, I should have felt kinship with these women but I didn’t at all. Except ...more
Jenna Bookish
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Flatiron Books for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

When I saw Whisper Network described as essentially a mystery novel for the #metoo era, I was super intrigued but also a little wary. I think with books that seem very timely, there’s always the risk that they’ll come across opportunistic and insincere. Not so with Whisper Network, which turned out to be a pleasant surprise of a novel.

A
Whitney
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall: A mystery told from multiple women’s (mainly lawyers) perspectives who all work for an athletic wear firm. A fun, light, mystery, perfect for the beach that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Though there are themes relating to the #metoo movement, I expected more from all the hype surrounding this one. Still, an overall fun beach read, just do not expect anything too deep from this one. 3/5 or 6/10

Summary: This book is told from multiple women’s perspective (dynamo Sloane Glover;
Travel.with.a.book
I want to thank the publisher Flatiron for sending me an early review copy of Chandler Baker's latest book "Whisper Network".
I wanted to read this amazing book long time and as soon as I saw the book as Reese's book club monthly choice, I read it in a day.
I loved the thrilling and mystery story that Chandler has written for us the readers!
I give the book 5 stars, the book is a timely novel of the #Metoo movement.
A book that is telling a issue that shouldn't be about all women to feel free in the
Louise Wilson
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a group,of women who work at a high profile company as lawyers. The CEO dies suddenly leaving the situation vaccant. The boss, Ames is next in line for the job but this does not go down well with the women who are in his employ as he does not treat women with respect. A group,of women decide to sue the company to prevent this from happening.

This is an addictive read. It's told from multiple people's point of view. The story revolves a rounds the male/female work place with a
Reese's Book Club...: The Ending 7 469 Aug 21, 2019 09:42PM
Reese's Book Club...: What did you think? 8 600 Aug 14, 2019 05:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions - "WHISPER NETWORK" by Chandler Baker 2 12 Jul 22, 2019 07:39AM
Reese's Book Club...: Whisper Network by Chandler Baker 5 339 Jul 19, 2019 07:19PM
IBIS Read and Review: Whisper Network by Chandler Baker 1 7 Jul 08, 2019 07:10PM
Dymocks Joondalup: June BOTM - The Whisper Network 1 15 Jun 27, 2019 06:28PM

• Dirty Little Secrets
  • Girlfriend 44
  • The Last Book Party
  • Girls on the Verge
“We never understood the tendency to underestimate us, we who had been baptized and delivered through pain, who grinned and bore agonies while managing to draw on wing-tipped eyeliner with a surgically steady hand. We plucked our eyebrows, waxed our upper lips, got razor burn on our crotches, held blades to the cups of our armpits. Shoes tore holes in the skin of our heels and crippled the balls of our feet. We endured labor and childbirth and C-sections, during which doctors literally set our intestines on a table next to our bodies while we were awake. We got acid facials. We punctured our foreheads with Botox and filled our lips and our breasts. We pierced our ears and wore pants that were too tight. We got too much sun. We punished our bodies in spin class. All these tiny sacrifices to make us appear more lithe and ladylike—the female of the species. The weaker sex. Secretly, they toughened our hides, sharpened our edges. We were tougher than we looked. The only difference was that now we were finally letting on.” 3 likes
“If time was currency, we were all going broke.” 1 likes