Start by marking “Whisper Network” as Want to Read:
Whisper Network

Whisper Network

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  65,332 ratings  ·  5,871 reviews
Sloane, Ardie, Grace, and Rosalita have worked at Truviv, Inc. for years. The sudden death of Truviv’s CEO means their boss, Ames, will likely take over the entire company. Each of the women has a different relationship with Ames, who has always been surrounded by whispers about how he treats women. Those whispers have been ignored, swept under the rug, hidden away by thos ...more
Published July 2nd 2019 by Flatiron Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Whisper Network, please sign up.
Marie I'm reading the ARC (advanced reader copy) of it and it is nothing like 9 to 5 at all. The cover says it is supposed to be funny ("furiously funny") -…moreI'm reading the ARC (advanced reader copy) of it and it is nothing like 9 to 5 at all. The cover says it is supposed to be funny ("furiously funny") - I am finding nothing funny about it. I'm on chapter 16. It is more of a thriller (well, some reviewers have called it that) with elements of murder mystery. (less)
Cassondra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  65,332 ratings  ·  5,871 reviews

Start your review of Whisper Network
Paromjit
Chandler Baker has written an unflinching must read novel for our times, for every generation of women and girls of a family and perhaps, even more pertinent, for every man and boy to read. In this story, we are immersed into our #MeToo contemporary world, set in Dallas, and the Truviv corporation, and its power structures, politics and culture. Four women, Ardie, Sloane and Grace, in house lawyers in the department of North American Legal Affairs, and cleaner Rosalita, a single mom with young s ...more
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
“Listen.”

Whisper Network is a timely and powerful read about four women working in corporate America who band together to stop the whispers and speak up about sexual harassment and assault in the workplace.

This is part mystery part women’s fiction, and part social commentary told through the voices of four women. They are done covering for their predator of a boss. They hear the whispers that surround him--they have been subjects of the gossip. Some are his victims, while others have been c
BernLuvsBooks
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-reads, 2019
"By whispering, whose secrets were we keeping anyway - ours or theirs? Whose interests did our silence ultimately protect?... we grew tired of whispering because what were we hiding, after all? We had stories, all of us. Would speaking up cost us? Maybe. But maybe it would cost them, too."

So while this book definitely speaks to an important and timely issue for women, I simply did not love how it was executed here. It's billed as a thriller that is part murder mystery and part manifesto - it
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four powerful, provocative, remarkable, outstanding, effective, encouraging, the women’s story who knows to say no and who are ready to fight back stars!!!

This is amazing mashup of Big Little Lies’ office version and 80’s movie( Tomlin, Parton, Fonda) Nine to Five’s dramatic version takes place at now! Add some media power and sexual abuse cases! We have a great book in our hands!

Imagine a business world dominated by powerful men who see women as expendable objects, needed to be terminated if t
Julie
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
The Whisper Network by Chandler Baker is a 2019 Flatiron Books publication.

A scathing, darkly humorous novel of suspense-

When the CEO of Truviv, Inc. dies suddenly, his probable replacement, Ames, is a man who has been the subject of whispers amongst female employees about his dubious treatment of women. His possible promotion has placed four women, in particular, on edge.

Sloane, Ardie, Grace, and Rosalita have each had a relationship of sorts with Ames over the years. Knowing his proclivities
Holly  B

4.5 STARS

An corporate office full of whispers, tension, and secrets. #MeTOO # BuzzyBook

If you are tired of predictable thrillers that seem too formulaic, give this time bomb of secrets, lies, and regrets a go! It still has the feel of a thriller, but so much more.

I was drawn into the whole atmosphere of Truviv, Inc. The tension that developed after the CEO's sudden death, what that would mean for the women who had worked there for years, and the anxiety that surrounded his replacement. This
Dem
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The Whisper Network by chandler Baker was entertaining but boy did I struggle with this one for the first 200 pages

I had seen where many readers have compared this one to Big Little Lies and I have to agree they are quite silimiar and this is probably why I picked this one up in the first place but I didnt find it as witty or as compelling as Big Little Lies.

The book does have “ The me too campaign” at the heart of its story” as Four women Sloane, Ardie, Grace and Rosalita have worked in the sa
Terrie ("in and out" intermittently) Robinson
"Whisper Network" by Chandler Baker is a read that makes a powerful statement!

Truviv, Inc. CEO, Desmond Bankole has died suddenly. General Counsel, Ames Garrett, has been proposed as the next CEO to step in to run the company.

Sloane, Ardie and Grace are lawyers at Truviv, Inc. who currently report directly to Ames. They know him well. They know about the whispers surrounding him. The one's that always seem to be ignored!

These three female lawyers are concerned about the possibility of this cha
Susanne
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Fabulous Stars.

Alrighty then! Let’s get down to the nitty gritty: I went into this novel having very few preconceived notions and it worked for me - I freaking loved it!

You know what they say.. Hell hath no fury..

So, the “Whisper Network,” what can I tell you? It is in fact controversial, salacious and terrifying, especially if you work in a professional environment (which I do). Game freaking on ladies and gents.

Four women work in a male dominated corporate environment and are sick and ti
Michelle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.75 stars.

The idea was there, but ultimately, the execution was not.

I tried really hard to like this book, especially since it should have been perfectly designed for me. I work in a male dominated corporate environment and my major in college saw me as 1 of 2 females in a class of 40-50 young men. (All but one of my professors were men as well.) So I was excited to read this and cheer on the characters as they fought against misogyny and chauvinistic attitudes (when they appeared) as they tri
Joellen Hunt
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did so many people like this novel? I did not care about these characters at all, around page 100 I had to skip to the end to see where the plot was going.

It was like slogging through mud to get to the end. UGH!
Liz
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio

This book deals with the issues facing women in the working world - the attempt to have it all, the sexual harassment, the pay gaps. It was actually depressing for me. As a woman in her 60s who’s now retired, all these were issues I faced in my 20s, 30s and 40s. I guess I had hoped the younger generations were having an easier time of it. Not so. There’s even a subplot of school age bullying of one woman’s 10 year old daughter.

TWN covers four women, lawyers for an active wear company along with
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading Whisper Network on 6/24/2019 and finished it on 6/30/2019. This book was well written though I started to read expecting thrills in a thriller but I’m left with going through the motions of waiting for when the thrills will begin, all the way up to page 209 out of page 392. The second half is a bit better but I wouldn’t say it was thrilling. This story focuses on the #metoo movement where women come together against men for sexual harassment. They whisper to each other what the ...more
Bren fall in love with the sea.
We knew we shouldn’t be ashamed. We weren’t ashamed. We were grown-ass women—which is obviously why we paraded to the restrooms with tampons secretly stuffed into our cardigan sleeves as though we were spies delivering encrypted information.
....We pretended that all of this was a myth. That we had neither fallopian tubes, nor menstrual cycles, nor breasts, nor moods, nor children. And then we took it as a compliment when one of the men in the office told us we had balls. So, tell us again how th
Kaceey
Is there truth behind the whispers?

When the CEO suddenly dies, the candidate next in line for the position is someone nobody wants in that chair. The rumors…the whispers, of his sexual indiscretions with some of the women at the firm run rampant.

Perhaps I wasn’t the best reader for this book. I don’t work in a high powered, male dominated environment. The CEO at the company I work for is an extremely strong and confident woman who demonstrates professionalism at all times. And though I know th
Katharine
[DNF @ 75%] I picked this up after seeing it recommended a few times and wanting an engaging read for a vacation. While it did the job of keeping me interested, it was ultimately not for me.

I decided to put it down when I came across the following quote:
"We lived with guilt the way other people lived with chronic medical conditions, only arguably ours was the less treatable."

As someone living with a chronic medical condition, I found this statement to be completely out of line, dismissive, and
Randi (randi_reads)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a struggle for me to get through. Slow, slow burn. I felt it was way too long of a story and took too long to get to what the heart of the story is. Parts of it just dragged on. The main characters were very undistinguishable in their voices. If I didn't see the name printed, I was kind of lost as to what character the chapter/section was about. They also weren't very likeable...Sloane, in particular.

I get that the subject matter of this book is very relevant today, but it just wasn't e
Katie.dorny
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I thought I was being delivered a legal thriller with unforeseen twists and turns when I was actually handed bored middle aged women feeling sorry for themselves and pretending to be poorer than they were.

This was so patronising from beginning to end. Womankind look at us (but only the beautiful southern belles and the quirky ones who are also marriage material) saving each other one pair of Louboutin heels at a time.

This novel did discuss a topic that I think every female has either experienced
Cortney LaScola Hornyak -  The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I love reading books about women banding together and looking out for one another... whether men want to believe it or not, the way we are treated, expected to act and look, the struggles we go through in life and in our careers because of our gender color every aspect of our lives. It isn't about "innocent until proven guilty" it's about believing women. This novel is so timely and relevant and TRUE.

Climbing off my soapbox now, I want to say I really enjoyed this book! I loved the characters wh
Kay
3.5⭐
This is a MeToo novel about women in a corporate world working in different capacities and sexual harassment. The novel to me is more a mystery drama than a thriller.

Told as a small flashback (three weeks), Whisper Network started with a bang! Then the reader gets more backstory for each main character. This is where it becomes a rather slow-burn and a confusing listening experience. Parts of the story are in other formats like messages and depositions, so the flow seems choppy without knowi
Nadia
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
I've been waiting for a fiction book that would focus on the mistreatment of women in a male dominated workplace for a long time. I found this book very timely in the current decade of sexual abuse scandals and the #metoo movement.

The main female protagonists are successful lawyers who all experienced some form of sexual harassment by their male colleagues. What I liked about the book was the strong bond and friendship between the women who stuck together no matter what, risking their careers.

Wh
Cindy Burnett
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Chandler Baker’s new novel, Whisper Network, is part thriller and part ripped from the headlines commentary on today’s society. She tackles what it means to be a woman, particularly a working woman, in the #MeToo era while creating a whodunit with a clever and surprising resolution. Her characters are authentic, multi-faceted, and human, and readers will be cheering these women on as they attempt to takedown their harassing and manipulative boss. Baker’s prose is witty and dramatic, and
Bkwmlee
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it

Written as a response to the #metoo movement and the various sexual harassment scandals that have made headlines over the past few years, author Chandler Baker’s propulsive new book Whisper Network is an interesting look into corporate elite culture and a male-dominated work environment where “whispers” and rumors abound. The story’s powerful opening line sets the trajectory of the narrative into motion: “If only you’d listened to us, none of this would have happened.” The narration
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Surely I can't be the only one who read this synopsis and started singing . . . .

Tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life
Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'
Out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5

Dear Reese and your Book Club: My expectations for this one are pretty high.
Amy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook

This is not a thriller, not even close.
Tim
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
A story of what women must often endure in workplaces under a male dominated hierarchy and how to get by. 6 of 10 stars
Kendall
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun and addicting ride!!

A corporate office full of scandals, lies, tensions, and secrets.

Such a fun buddy read I had with Holly! I definitely recommend this one if you're tired of predictable thrillers. This is different and still has that fun addicting ride that you're aiming for!

I respect Chandler Baker so much for writing about a such a difficult topic of sexual harassment. This story focuses on four women that struggle to make it through the corporate world with challenges of sexual
Jill McGill
A must read... definitely keeps you guessing and turning the pages as fast as you can!

The Whisper Network is a fascinating, fast-paced, and timely whodunit thriller that is set in the #METOO-Movement. Chandler Baker does an excellent job tackling women's issues of our time. Sisterhood at its best... I believe women from allover will love this book!

A murder mystery that's gripping, twisty, and very addictive... Highly Recommend!

“I received a free ARC of Whisper Network by Chandler Baker from Mac
Brandice
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
In Whisper Network a group of in-house women attorneys come together to challenge the promotion of their boss, Ames Garrett, the General Counsel, when the company’s current CEO dies unexpectedly. Sloane, Ardie, and Grace are among the in-house legal team at Truviv, an athletic apparel company, and have all had their own issues with Ames, a sleazy guy with a bad reputation.

I didn’t like Sloane - It felt like there was an attempt to sell her as a strong female leader and I didn’t get that vibe. W
Christina
Jul 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When one of us spoke up, it was never just for her. It was for US.”

A subtle and nuanced book about female friendships in the corporate world and the ubiquitous and demoralizing experience of sexual harassment. I really liked the theme of this book, which I think was influenced by a real news story - a spreadsheet circulating among working women, listing “bad men” who treat women poorly in the business world. This is just a tangible representation of the “whisper networks” that have been around
Play Book Tag: Whisper Network by Chandler Baker – 4 Stars 1 11 Jun 25, 2021 09:42AM
Reese's Book Club...: What did you think? 9 1337 Jun 22, 2020 01:15PM
All the Books!: Whisper Network by Chandler Baker 6 23 Mar 11, 2020 08:53AM

• The Last House Guest
  • The Club
  • The Other Woman
  • Something in the Water
  • We Were Never Here
  • Still Lives
  • Conviction (Anna and Fin, #1)
  • Lucky
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • Patsy
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

“All my books come to me, first of all, as a character in my mind and as a story that I want to tell. But how you tell that story, there are...
“We had guilt of every flavor: We had working-mom guilt, childless guilt, guilt because we’d turned down a social obligation, guilt because we’d accepted an invitation we knew we didn’t have time for, guilt for turning away work and for not turning it down when we felt we were already being taken advantage of. We had guilt for asking for more and for not asking for enough, guilt for working from home, guilt for eating a bagel, Catholic guilt and Presbyterian guilt and Jewish guilt, none of which tasted quite the same. We felt guilty if we weren’t feeling guilty enough, so much so that we began to take pride in this ability to function under moral conflict.” 19 likes
“We never understood the tendency to underestimate us, we who had been baptized and delivered through pain, who grinned and bore agonies while managing to draw on wing-tipped eyeliner with a surgically steady hand. We plucked our eyebrows, waxed our upper lips, got razor burn on our crotches, held blades to the cups of our armpits. Shoes tore holes in the skin of our heels and crippled the balls of our feet. We endured labor and childbirth and C-sections, during which doctors literally set our intestines on a table next to our bodies while we were awake. We got acid facials. We punctured our foreheads with Botox and filled our lips and our breasts. We pierced our ears and wore pants that were too tight. We got too much sun. We punished our bodies in spin class. All these tiny sacrifices to make us appear more lithe and ladylike—the female of the species. The weaker sex. Secretly, they toughened our hides, sharpened our edges. We were tougher than we looked. The only difference was that now we were finally letting on.” 19 likes