Start by marking “Midnight at the Blackbird Café” as Want to Read:
Midnight at the Blackbird Café

Midnight at the Blackbird Café

It was supposed to be a quick trip to close the café and settle her grandmother’s estate, but despite her best intentions to avoid forming ties or even getting to know her father’s side of the family,
Published July 16th 2019 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Midnight at the Blackbird Café, please sign up.
Kristina I know it has been marketed as adult fiction but I think this novel is completely fine for young adults. There’s no profanity, no sex, and no…moreI know it has been marketed as adult fiction but I think this novel is completely fine for young adults. There’s no profanity, no sex, and no violence, just some adult themes of grief and family dynamics. It would be fine for high-school aged young adults.(less)

Start your review of Midnight at the Blackbird Café
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
A touch of whimsy in a small town.

Anna Kate returns home to the small town of Wicklow, Alabama to bury her grandmother, Granny Zee.

Granny Zee owned the Blackbird Cafe in town and was loved by all. Anna Kate is expecting to be in Wicklow a short time, just long enough to settle Granny Zee’s affairs and close the cafe.

That doesn’t happen, though. Anna Kate feels connected to this town her mother ran from years ago. There’s also this blackbird pie everyone is talking about.

Anna Kate is also
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Can you really leave Wicklow once you have spent time there?

Anna Kate came back for her grandmother's funeral and stayed in Wicklow because she was required to spend sixty days there to inherit The Blackbird Cafe. Anna's mother vowed to NEVER return to Wicklow, and Anna finds out why as the days pass.

Was her mother wrong, though?

The characters all seemed lovable and were folks you would want to have in your life except for a few of them.

As you read, you will feel the warmth of the small town,
Marilyn
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful Book About Family, Friends, Love, a Past and a New Future

Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber was a well written book. I was drawn in right from the start. It allowed me to forget about everything else and immerse myself in the lives of the characters in this story. A cozy, comforting feeling surrounded me as I read Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe. By the end of the story, I felt like I knew each character and felt a kinship with them. The story alternately focused on Anna
Vickie
I love this book. I have been a fan of Heather Blake/Heather Webber for almost ten years. I love her paranormal cozy and gardening cozy series, but this is a whole new kind of love of a story from this author. If you need a comparison to a style or genre for this book, think along the lines of Sarah Addison Allen or Fannie Flagg. It's described as Southern magical realism, but it's also about relationships, forgiveness, hurt, growth, change, coming home, love, friendship, understanding....
I
Alison
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books that pulls you in before you even realize it's happened. I started it, thought I liked it fine but didn't love it, kept reading it, and then put it down for a few hours - and my thoughts kept wandering back to it. Turns out I liked it a lot more than I first thought. It seems fitting, almost, given the trajectory and plot of the book, and the recurring theme of the central town taking hold of you and not letting you go.
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a very character driven book. Everyone that I met I fell in love with instantly. They were people that I would want to hang out with. Thus, it made for easy reading. After reading this book, I have gained a fond admiration for blackbirds.

Yes, there are some magical aspects woven throughout the pages of this story. However, it was not one of the strong focal points of the book. The main focal point for me was the characters. They truly were engaging as well as
Rebecca
While in town for her grandmother’s funeral, Anna Kate learns that in order to fully inherit her Granny Zee's Blackbird Café, she must run it for two months. Meanwhile, Natalie, a young widow and mother to a two year daughter, Ollie, has returned to the small, southern town where she grew up and where everybody knows everybody... and their business. Natalie doesn’t get along with her mother but has nowhere else to go. Besides being new to Wicklow, what else do the two women have in common? How ...more
Laine
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a very small, rather rundown town in the shadows of the mountains in Alabama, there is a flock of blackbirds. But this is no ordinary old town, and these are no ordinary blackbirds. Everyone knows the blackbirds can give guidance, but exactly how does that work? The only person who knew has passed on.

In this town, there are two young women, linked by love but divided by hate. Both struggle to find their way through staggering grief and loss, and one of them holds the key to the future of
Katherine
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, adult
“Sometimes, it takes almost losing something to realize exactly how important it is to you.”

What a beautiful, enchanting story about family, legacy and magical pies. I’m glad that I’ve read this book. Midnight at the Blackbird Café was a very well written, feel-good magical realism book. I was in the mood for easy-read book, and I’m glad that I grabbed this. I felt the connection between the characters and I feel sad that I have finished the book and now I won’t ever know the continuation of
Romancebooksandmore
I want to rave about this book, I want to curl up and read it all over again. I want to cry from the warmth and heartbreak, family and friendship of it all.

Family, Friends, secrets, feuds, Mystery, Magic, Romance, Past, Present and future all roll together in this amazing book. you are not going to want to put it down.

come along with Anna Kate and Natalie as two very different but similar woman come together, both running from past hurts, neither knowing of the other's existence but seeming to
Susan Peterson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe is a heart-squeezer!! This lovely story about forgiveness, grief, family, and home is set in a small town, filled with southern charm, and a bit of magic!! The characters in this book are unique, quirky, complicated and delightful!! I fell in love with each and every one of them, and all I want to do is sit down and chat with them, eating pie and drinking blackberry tea! This book is guaranteed to make you smile, maybe even cry, but mostly what it will do is make ...more
Chris Conley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming book. It is a lovely story about the power of forgiveness and grieving and its importance in living a happy life. Anna Kate is a delightful character. All of the folks in Wicklow, Alabama are wonderful.
Laura Peden
I loved listening to this beautiful book! It pulled me in right away and never let me go. It’s described as “a captivating blend of magical realism, heartwarming romance, and small-town Southern charm.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

𝙎𝙮𝙣𝙤𝙥𝙨𝙞𝙨: Nestled in the mountain shadows of Alabama lies the little town of Wicklow. It is here that Anna Kate has returned to bury her beloved Granny Zee, owner of the Blackbird Café.

It was supposed to be a quick trip to close the café and settle her
Kristina
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my book club’s pick for Sept/Oct 2019. It’s a well-written, light venture into magical realism and Southern lifestyle. At times a bit overdone, tiresome, and more-than-a-little cliche, overall the characters and the magical setting redeem the story and keep the pages turning quickly. It’s a good supplement for fans of Sarah Addison Allen and Lynda Rutledge. Oh, and there’s a cat also which always makes a story worthwhile...
Rachel Boss
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Well written, loved the magical elements and the positive growth the characters go through. And of course I fell in love with the town!
i.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully heart-warming novel. All the readers who love, hate, regret and long will relate to this story of hope and forgiveness. I'd move to the wonderful village of Wicklow in a heartbeat if I could.
A must-read for book worms. If you can, read it with a piece of fruit pie, it will make it even better.

www.theleisurediaries.blogspot.com
Annie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A feel-good novel that has some depth, including some magical elements. I savored this one slowly and really enjoyed it.
Jo
Delightful southern fiction I'd put in the up-lit category, with a touch of paranormal. A feel-good book that will appeal to fans of Sarah Addison Allen.
Elle
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. *

With charming magical realism and a distinct semblance to Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells, Heather Webber's Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe is a wonderful and heartwarming work. The story is emotional and somewhat mysterious, with a fabulous cast of characters that are reminiscent of a gathering in Stars Hollow. Loved, loved, loved this so much. A fantastic read for those wishing to get their
Carolyn
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: webber-heather
You are always welcome at the Blackbird Cafe.

I had no idea what an amazing book this would be when I first saw it on a list of suggested reads here on Goodreads. I thought it sounded interesting and it received a lot of positive reviews. Little did I know!

This book takes place in a very small Southern town. It is about secrets and a journey of lessons to learn, life, love, loss, grief and forgiveness. It is also a story about a little bit of magic and what belief in that magic will do. I think
Rebecca
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
This was such a beautiful book and I'm sad that it's over. This book has some of my favorite things; a small town, magic realism, bits of humor, a dash of romance and wonderful characters. The writing was so poignant and the storylines of each character melded together so well. The author did an amazing job of creating a bit of magical feeling in this small town, with the blackbirds and the pies, but also with the characters. This was an emotional and deep book, looking at grief and family and ...more
Beth McCraw

I want a piece of Blackbird pie and blackberry sweet tea! This book was so charming and sweet! It was also so much more than a fluffy story, there were important family dynamics and community relationships throughout. I really enjoyed the magical realism in this story. It reminded me of Sarah Addison Allen book, so if you love a good hometown, feel good story with a touch of magical realism, this one is for you! I really hope there is another book, I would like to catch up again with these
Jamie
Thank you to TorForge for the advance reader copy of Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe.

Small Town feels
Cozy
Feel Good
Witchy
Little bit of romance
Stories of redemption
A world you can get lost in
Magical Realism at its best.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
After reading several wonderful reviews, I grabbed the audiobook of this one and enjoyed every minute of it. This is a beautifully written book that hooked me right from the first page and help myi interest until I finished this wonderful story. I loved all the characters from Anna Kate to the customers at the Blackbird Café. Natalie and Ollie were wonderful. As Anna Kate and Natalie get closer, Ollie seems to cement their relationship as well as work her child magic on others. Then add in the ...more
Vicki
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heather Webber has written has written a beautiful story of loss, betrayal, forgiveness, love and friendship. Within this story there are many layers to the wonderfully developed characters where you come to find the true meaning of family and where home, legacy and love lives. Wicklow AL has a way of taking hold of you once you visit. The Blackbird Cafe is the heart of Wicklow.

This story and people in this book work their way and weave themselves into your heart and mind just the way Wicklow
Chelsie
I really enjoyed this light hearted read. Anna Kate returns to her mother’s home town after her grandmother passes away. She has not been here before and is about to learn the real reasons why. Though what she is afraid will be a few long weeks, until she can get everything buttoned up, turns into quite the adventure of her family history as well as learning what family and home means. Thank you at Bookish for the free book!
Dorine
This one left me with a smile. Such a great story of the heart. Full review coming soon at TheZestQuest.com
Debbi Hicks
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALL the FEELS
I absolutely loved Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe. With vivid descriptions and well developed characters this book had all of the elements to make it a five star read for me. Set in a small Southern town it's rich with complicated family dynamics, grief and love. Anna Kate had to return to Wicklow due to the death of her Granny Zee and ended up staying longer than planned to run the Cafe. But what she didn't know was she had to stay for herself. To grow, heal and forgive. Slowly she
Tori Thompson
This was really well-written and engrossing, but it super wasn't for me--which is a shame, because I have such a soft spot for cozy small-town magic realism. But the whole message of this book boiled down to the importance of family, and how you should forgive the people who hurt you and make room for them back in your life in the hope that they'll change and grow and maybe not hurt you again (but if they do, you just gotta be the better person and teach them how to be better! Self ...more
Teresa Lukey
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I really need a sweet, uplifting little story to brighten my day. But I’m picky. I need that story to not be corny or completely predictable and I particularly love it when these stories are set in the south. This story checked all the boxes and I’m so happy to have come across it and taken a chance.

If you like Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, you will absolutely love this story.

• The Book Charmer
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Love in the Afternoon
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
  • Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Let It Snow
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • All the Flowers in Paris
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Late Checkout (Witch City Mystery #9)
  • All About Evie
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
Heather Webber, aka Heather Blake, is the author of more than twenty-five novels. She loves to read, drink too much coffee and tea, birdwatch, crochet, and bake. She currently lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and is hard at work on her next book.

Facebook author page: