Start by marking “Small Town Nightmare (Lucy Hush, #1)” as Want to Read:
Small Town Nightmare (Lucy Hush, #1)

Small Town Nightmare

(Lucy Hush series #1)

A young drifter is in deep trouble, his sister is his only hope...

Lucy’s younger brother has gone missing. When she sets out to find him, the trail takes her to Night Town. It’s a rural backwater deep in the forests of south western Australia.

Lucy tries to enlist the help of the local police, but she is met with hostility. She befriends a man who might help her cause.
Published August 26th 2018 by The Book Folks

To ask other readers questions about Small Town Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Town Nightmare

Start your review of Small Town Nightmare (Lucy Hush, #1)
Brenda
Small Town Nightmare, first in the Lucy Hush series by Aussie author Anna Willett was exceptional! Gritty, intense, breathtaking – I’ve discovered a new Aussie author (which is a cause for celebration) in a genre I thoroughly enjoy. And she has more 😊

Lucy’s younger brother hadn’t returned home for her birthday and that in itself was cause for alarm. Tim had lost himself a little after the death of their parents, but he always returned from wherever he was for her birthday. She’d received a text
Marie
This was a mysterious and suspenseful story!

Small-Town-Nightmare-fan-art.jpg

A small backstory:

Lucy hasn't heard from her brother (Tim) in a few days and she is worried that something has happened to him. The last time she talked to him, Tim had given her a location of where he was camped out.

So Lucy heads that way to find out what she can learn of his disappearance in the last town where he had been. Along on her journey she comes across a man (Damon) that is also looking for someone that has disappeared in that same area
Kim
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
This is my first read of this author's books and, if this is anything to go by, I'm glad that I've got another couple downloaded and ready to read! A gripping tale as reporter Lucy Hush travels to a small Western Australian town in search for her missing brother - and stumbles on a town of secrets where no-one will tell her anything and she feels very much under threat. Fortunately she meets up with a private detective who is looking for another missing young man, who also disappeared having las ...more
Bandit
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t know this was book one in the series, I don’t care for series as a format, but the author I kind of like. She frequently posts kindle freebies and I was able to grab and enjoy a bunch of them, usually short thrillers set in Australia. Some have been more fun than others, this one was sort of in the middle. Lucy, the intrepid protagonist, journalist by training, comes to small creepily named Night Town to look for her disappeared drifter brother Tim. The locals are cagey and unfriendly, ...more
Diane Dickson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another super novel by Anna Willett. Anna is able to write characters who really do live on the page. Because of this you care about them, about how they feel and what they suffer. You really care about whether they are able to triumph in the face of disaster - and she certainly ratcheted up the danger and tension in the latter stages of this book. Do they triumph - Well that would be telling and there are bad bad people at work here and real life isn't all about rainbows and butterflies.

There
Hobart
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
She wondered how much she should reveal. Her history was painful, and rehashing it for a stranger wouldn’t really help.

“It’s complicated, but I know he wouldn’t not show.”“Not unless something stopped him?” Damon asked, finishing her thought.

“Something or someone.” As she spoke, they rounded a bend and the road tapered downwards. In the distance she could see a cluster of buildings dotted with patches of open fields and circled by forests
Bucks, Books & Beyond
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with any good book that fits into the ‘thriller’ category there is a good twist at the end! I won’t say more than that as I don’t want to ruin any surprises but it’s worth reading on for. I really enjoyed this book, it encompasses a well thought out, well written plot with likeable characters and a good ending.
Jaime Melton
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wild ride for me. I felt it had lots of twists and turns and suspense. I had to put it down a few times, hehe. (I read romance typically for a reason.) I found the ending to be a bit surprising. Very easy and enjoyable.
Selma D. Jennings
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Plenty of suspense, let out in proper dribbles. Nicely twisted plot, about twisted people. The absence of typos and syntax errors was refreshing (only one misuse of a word near the end, "sight" should have been "site," referring to the place of the head injury). The slow development of the friendship between Lucy and Damon also was refreshing. Would enjoy more by this author.
Eileen Parker
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Miss Dizzy Read
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good read, will read the others, not sure why she likes the word bitumen so much though!
Dee
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging thriller. Love that it's set in Aussie. ...more
Steve
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, lucy-hush
This was difficult to put down, but I can't find it in my heart to give it five stars. The action picked up from the first page, and very quickly grabbed my attention. The characters all seemed a little too two dimensional to me, I'm hoping that changes in a longer form. The plot twists were all unexpected, with the climax coming as a sharp shock. I would preferred a tiny bit more resolution, but I'll have to read more in this series. ...more
Jennifer  Eades
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book
Tammy R. Blackwell
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of twists and turns that keep you interested. It's a good read. ...more
Barbara Dunbar
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Small town nightmare

A missing brother and a stranger and a creepy little town. Then it gets worse with a nasty police officer.
Eion Williamson
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this read, although found it somewhat predictable due to desire not to kill off main characters.
Julie Morris
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, this book does exactly what it says on the tin! The story of Lucy who is looking for her missing drifter brother in a tiny, remote rural town in Western Australia and finds a horror more awful than she could have anticipated. The book was gripping from the opening pages to the end and kept up the suspense all the way through and anyone picking up the book because of the title will not be disappointed. The author really brought the environment and setting to life and I particularly enjoyed ...more
Judy
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Suspense thriller.

The book left so many clues, but the constant twists only confuses you. Just when you think you have it all figured out, a new twist pops up. I loved the book and recommend it to all mystery lovers.
Noemi Proietti
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read SMALL TOWN NIGHTMARE in one evening, not only because the novel is not that long, but especially because I was completely engrossed. The author’s clear and flowing writing style kept me glued to the pages and I loved the well-crafted plot and the engaging characters.

Lucy is a journalist and she is looking for her brother Tim. Tim is a drifter, moving from place to place, but he would have never missed Lucy’s birthday a few days earlier, so when the police is no help, Lucy jumps into her c
Nicola Smith
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The small town of the title is what drew me to Small Town Nightmare. It all kicks off when Lucy Hush, a journalist, arrives at Night Town, in Western Australia. She's looking for her brother, Tim. He's what you might call a drifter but Lucy knows that Tim would never miss her birthday and that's exactly what's happened, so she goes to try and find out what has happened to him. Along the way she has a chance meeting with Damon, who turns out to be an unexpected ally in her search.

Anna Willett cap
Diana Febry
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, well-thought-out story. Fast-paced with plenty of suspense.
Recommend to mystery/suspense readers.
C P
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A story a substance

Well written. Tough story w some tough characters who find a way to have courage and strength to survive. Enjoyed It was set in Australia, a place I loved when I visited.
Alisa
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Anna Willett's writing style very much. The story took a strange turn, which was certainly unexpected. But I feel like there were some unanswered questions at the end - maybe it was just a red herring, but everything in the plot didn't tie up quite as nicely as it could have. Nonetheless, an enjoyable read. ...more
Anouska
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sensational writing from Anna Willett in her latest thriller. Dramatic, sometimes traumatic, and full of heart. Relatable characters, troubled villains, and a plot that keeps you compulsively turning pages.
Barbara Williams
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gripping for sure!

I found myself immersed in a thriller that included kidnapping, torture, murder, corruption, multiple personality disorder, intrigue, PTSD, drugs and even a little bit of love. What a way to spend an afternoon. This was a great recommendation. Thank you.
Ted Tayler
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Tense thriller"

I thoroughly enjoyed my first book by this author. Strong characters, tough, uncompromising settings and a story line with several facets. The pace was consistently built to an exciting, nerve-shredding conclusion. A well-written page-turner indeed.
brenda wilson
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Small Town Nightmare

I really liked reading these stories,if I could I would give it a 10.They have everything a mystery could have.
marlin1
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
New Austalian author for me and excited to see she has a few more books written.
Good suspense and I enjoyed the unexpected teamwork.
Adrienne
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, mystery
Small Town Nightmare has some of the creepiest characters I ever met in a novel. Engrossing story with some good nail-biting moments as well as some romantic ones in this enjoyable quick read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blood Lies
  • Doppelgänger
  • Death In Paradise (Hawaii Thriller #1)
  • With Wanton Disregard
  • Deep Blue Goodbye (An Allison Hart Novel Book 1)
  • Her Boldest Lie (Rosemary Run #3)
  • Chloe - Lost Girl (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Red Means Run (Virgil Cain Mystery Book 1)
  • Hollow Crib (A Magnolia Parish Mystery Book 1)
  • 1st Shock (A Schock Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Cash Kills (Angelina Bonaparte Mysteries, #2)
  • Closer to Home (DI Kate Fletcher, #1)
  • Wrath of the Sister
  • Relative Malice (Detective Kendall Halsrud #1)
  • Remnants (Brandon Fisher FBI, #6)
  • The Man in the Meth Lab (Joe Court Book 4)
  • On Edge (Redemption Thriller #13; Ozzie Novak Thriller #1)
  • Key Death

Lucy Hush series (3 books)
  • Cold Valley Nightmare (Lucy Hush, #2)
  • Savage Bay Nightmare (Lucy Hush series #3)