Start by marking “Emily Eternal” as Want to Read:
Emily Eternal

Emily Eternal

Meet Emily. She can solve advanced mathematical problems, unlock the mind's deepest secrets, but unfortunately, even she can't restart the sun.

Emily is an artificial consciousness, designed in a lab to help humans process trauma, which is particularly helpful when the sun begins to die 5 billion years before scientists agreed it was supposed to.

Her beloved human race is sc
Published April 23rd 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Emily Eternal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Eternal

Blake Crouch
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visionary. The best AI character since HAL 9000.
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This was an unpredictable sci-fi about a suddenly changing earth in the face of the sun turning red giant and an artificial consciousness, Emily. Emily is the protagonist and she’s spent a few years adjusting to humanity, trying to become as human and empathetic as she can.

Emily grew exponentially from a cog in a wheel, a team player in a university scientific department, to working independently for the good of humanity. Her decisions and actions were sometimes questionable and I never knew wha
OutlawPoet
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique book.

It's an SF novel featuring a main character who is an AC (not an AI) - an artificial consciousness.

It's a book about the meaning of humanity and what happens when humanity accidentally creates a God.

And, finally, it's a romance.

It's very much a romance novel, which surprised me. The romance is a unique one, at times disconcerting, but saved by a main character I loved - artificial or not.

I liked this one. I loved the ethical and moral quandaries, was surprised more than onc
K.S. Marsden
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Emily is an artificial consciousness, programmed to read people, and help them with their problems. Threatened with the end of the world, her super-computer and her scientists are enlisted to try and preserve humanity.

I received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Emily is an artificial consciousness - not artificial intelligence. She's not really sure she can quantify the difference, but it's very important to her. She was designed by scientists to learn and replicate h
Rosemary Standeven
This book really grabs you from the first line: “It’s dark, way too dark for the middle of the day. And that’s not where the sky’s supposed to be”.
So, apocalyptic SciFi – like it said on the cover. But, then suddenly you are inside a young woman’s head who is undergoing psychological therapy for a teenage trauma. The world is about to end, and someone is being treated for a long-ago tragic loss. Soon, five billion plus people will be irreparably traumatised – if they are not already. Why bother
Lou
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, now that's what I call one beauty of a book. It's the type of novel that gets under your skin and where you can immerse yourself so fully into a vastly different world that you feel completely changed and bereft when the journey comes to the end; it's been on my mind even weeks and weeks after finishing it, and I know this will be an epic adventure I will remember for a very long time. It's wonderfully engaging and broached profound thought-provoking philosophical questions about humanity- ...more
Maine Colonial
I received a free publisher's review copy.

What a great concept. Emily is a five-year old computer program intended to be an Artificial Consciousness. With special interfaces, people can perceive her as a physical presence. And she has decided to perceive herself as a physical presence and do the things humans do to get through their day—well, except when she just doesn’t have time for all that grooming and eating and drinking stuff.

And time is what Emily has very little of. What with the sun sud
Liz Barnsley
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Something different and highly engaging but also randomly thought provoking on many levels.
Emily may be virtual but she reads as entirely human, she loves the human race and learns every day about the nuances of that existence. On a dying world where humanity is about to be wiped out Emily lives, grieves, falls in love and just possibly comes up with a way to save human kind.
The writing is beautiful, fully immersing you into this world and the plot is considered yet pacy and addict
Kate
Very entertaining and original take on the Apocalypse, featuring a delightful Artificial Consciousness, Emily, who wants nothing more than to save the human race that she loves so much. I think the ending is a bit 'out there', hence four stars and not five, but nevertheless this is an enjoyable science fiction romance. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Figgy
Review to come.

In the meantime...

This was the first book that pulled me in after the traumatic loss of my dog, so that's definitely a factor in it's favour.

I felt invested in Emily almost immediately, and she made me laugh and kept me reading.

The book kept me guessing, and I definitely didn't see the last 20% of the book coming.

Will definitely be reading more books by this author in the future!
Cj Zawacki
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily is an AI program. Well, more of an Artificial Consciousness designed to be a therapist in 3D.Able to be seen with an interface, Emily can correct human errs of her programer. But, Emily was actually taught not to take over any human conscience.
Emily developed at a phenomenal speed,until in her 5th year, our sun made a shift from a yellow dwarf to the start of a red giant
EMILY ETERNAL, by M.G. Wheaton, combines the elements from "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE" and "SING THE BODY ELECTRIC," into an
Tony Healey
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This novel went in a direction I didn't expect. It's rare that a book exceeds your expectations for both plot and character. It's even rarer that an author allows the emotional journey of the main characters to play out naturally and, in turn, affect the reader in such a deep, meaningful way.
EMILY ETERNAL is expertly written by Wheaton, showing an impressive knowledge of both current tech, and the conceivable trajectory of what is to come. This is a novel of tomorrow that is very much a nov
Heather Brock
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won, giveaways
Okay, here it is. The more I've thought about this story, the more I like it. I've bumped my rating up to 4 stars, because I did really enjoy this story. I think that I initially had unfair expectations for this book, even though I had read the synopsis and was stoked to read it. Emily is a "good" AI. And while one could argue there isn't such a thing as "bad" AI (which is fair), you do see many stories of AI following their programming to the letter sometimes resulting in catastrophe or horror. ...more
Beth Loflin
I wanted to like this book, but for me not a science fiction reader, this book was all over the place. It was a mess that at some points I got lost and couldn’t follow. Artificial conscience, 2 systems fighting over how the world will deal with the ending of the world, a man and computer program falling in love. It was a bit much for me.

I do hope the author good luck and hope others will get it, but for me..... this wasn’t for me.
Jess Munnery
I really like the concept, full review to come.
Beth McCallum
THIS BOOK IS UTTER PERFECTION.

while heavy on the detail and super scientific - and therefore not a quick read despite its length - the author does an astounding job at convincing his readers of emily, an artificial consciousness, as she attempts to save humanity amidst the sun dying out.

i loved EVERYTHING about this book. a wildly engaging plot, super intriguing and unexpected characters, insanely researched and convincing world building, brilliant writing, perfect pacing and an emotional ending
Georgia
I don't read alot of science fiction books as I find them hard to understand with all the big scientific words and jargon so I don't know how Emily Eternal compares to other books in the genre so I'm judging this book on how I felt reading it.

First off I want to say I loved the cover of the ARC and I love the final copy cover even more. It's so vibrant and fits the story perfectly. I probably would buy this book for the cover alone.

Emily is the outcome of a labs work on Artificial Consciousness
Kath
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only meant to start this book yesterday evening but it gripped me so much that I found myself unable to put it down, read way past my bedtime, and stayed awake later than that as I found myself thinking about it long after lights out. Sorry to my boss and co-workers if I'm rubbish and grumpy at work today!
So, Emily... she's an AC - Artificial Consciousness. Not to be confused with an AI cos she is so much more. She tags onto people and is able to "read" them. Emotions and thoughts and has been
Kee Hoo
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Emily Eternal by M.G. Wheaton is a fast paced novel. Sit down, fasten your seatbelts-it's going to be a wild ride!

Emily is a super computer personality. She is able to communicate with people of her team (at a college) who wear an interface chip, fastened to the back of their neck. If you have the chip, she shows up as a person. Her creator Nathan Wyman has made Emily to be an artificial consciousness, (AC), to interface with human minds.

They have a college program that is called iLab, that is w
Tahlia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Gifted)
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

4.5/5 stars.

*I was sent a copy by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

I have been trying to get into more Sci-Fi books lately and when I read the synopsis for Emily Eternal, I was so happy to come across one that sounded so intriguing. I generally find that Sci-Fi novels tend to either be hit or miss for me, as sometimes the Sci-Fi aspect can get a bit overwhelming. And the
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Earth is living its last months in this book: all calculations indicating that the Sun would go the way of red giants in 4.5 billions of years were wrong, and helium fusion has been detected in its core… which means the inner solar system will soon go bye-bye. On this Earth where people have forsaken money for barter, and where people try to go join their loved ones to go together, a group of MIT scientists is s
S.J. Higbee
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Emily, an artificial consciousness (not an A.I.) designed to assist humans overcome traumatic situations. Emily is in huge demand right at the start of the book, when humanity is grappling with the knowledge that the sun is going to die in a matter of weeks – and so are they. Interestingly, the book is told from Emily’s viewpoint in first person pov, so we get a ringside seat to Emily’s thoughts. To be honest – while I consciously suspended my disbelief while reading the book, I w ...more
Hannah
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, rounded down because the flaw is so huge and it's one that particularly bugs me.

Strongly recommended for fans of TV shows like Caprica and Dollhouse or sci-fi that deals heavily with retaining humanity amongst the not-quite-human like The Girl With All the Gifts.

Emily would like you to know that she is an artificial consciousness, not an artificial intelligence. Rather than solving algorithms, she's been designed to specialize in empathy and act as a non-judgmental therapist. She's qu
Sabrina
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just an Artificial Intelligence, Emily is an Artificial Consciousness. She lives like a normal human as much as possible, with a whole campus simulation to walk around, a dorm room and even kitchen gadgets that she can't quite figure out. Emily can actually feel emotions, though she does like to check that some of them haven't just been programmed in.
Emily was created to be a kind of virtual psychiatrist, but when the world discovers that the sun is dying much sooner than anyone ever
Tim Nowotny
An underwhelming experience. Years ago, I heard a talk by China Mieville about how Fantasy and SciFi are not fundamentally different from each other. I see his points but I always had the feeling he oversees something. This book showed be what. Good fantasy gives way to great escapism while SciFi generally tends to follow cause and action and action‘s reaction in all its facets. Sure, both can transcend their genre and then the rules are off the table anyway.
This novel shows that there is anothe
Penelope
An interesting and emotive novel about A.I and the end of the world. A bit more romance than I expect but enjoyable none the less. Perhaps a little rushed in the ending but filled with original and thought provoking ideas that kept me turning pages. A good Sci-fi novel for people who don't usually read Sci-fi.
Kirsty
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley for review

This was an interesting story, it is told from the perspective of Emily, an artificial consciousness who comes up with a solution to how to save humanity from extinction due to the sun dying. This also turns into a road trip mystery thriller with a bit of romance sprinkled in.
I liked Emily as a character, and Mayra and Jason were great as well.
For a debut this was very easy to read, even with all the scientific dialogue. Will definite
Jaron | TheBookBaron
2.5 stars.

A mix of the movie 'Her' and an episode of '24'.
Some interesting ideas that get bogged down by cookie cutter characters and a 'save the world' story that has been done to death.
Johan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a really interesting premise, and it started out focusing on ideas. Great, just what I wanted! But then it quickly turned into a page-turning adventure, which was a bit of a let-down. I would have preferred something else. But it was still quite the good read, and there are still things to think about in there.
Sam

• Magic for Liars
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Delta-V
  • Blood Orange
  • Gates of Stone (Lord of the Islands, #1)
  • Motherland
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • The Blameless Dead
  • The Perfect Plan
  • Call Your Daughter Home
Born in Texas, M.G. Wheaton worked in a computer factory assembling servers and PCs before becoming a writer.