Start by marking “Sea Glass Summer” as Want to Read:
Sea Glass Summer

Sea Glass Summer

Author Michelle Houts and illustrator Bagram Ibatoulline explore the magic of one of the seaside's greatest wonders and the bonds that link us through time.

One summer, a boy named Thomas visits his grandmother at her seaside cottage. She gives him a magnifying glass that once belonged to his grandfather, and with it Thomas explores the beach, turning grains of sand into
Published May 14th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Sea Glass Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Glass Summer

Start your review of Sea Glass Summer
Aeicha
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sea Glass Summer, with its touching story and dreamy, painted illustrations, is a beautiful and moving celebration of summer, the beach, history, and the power of the imaginations. ...more
Alex  Baugh
Thomas is spending a summer at his grandmother's island cottage. One morning, she gives him a magnifying glass that had been his grandfathers, and pretty soon, Thomas is looking at all the shoreline has to offer through it. When his grandmother shows him a beautiful piece of glass, worn smooth by the sea, Thomas then begins to collect pieces of sea glass that appeal to him. His grandfather had believed every piece of sea glass had a story and Thomas begins to dream what their stories might have ...more
Kirsti Call
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how this story explores journeys, imagination and possibilities.
Kathryn
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't know why, but this book didn't capture me. The story was good and the illustrations well done, just not me.
Vera Godley
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful! The illustrations take me back to beloved children's books in the 30s, 40s, and 50s or are reminiscent of a type of Norman Rockwell art. Gentle. Moving. Beautiful. Realistic.

The story is sweet and is one of an easy going summer along the shore where the young boy spends his summer with his grandmother at her cottage by the sea.

As a boy does, he explores and he investigates, and he collects the stuff he finds. The boy finds glass. Beautiful pieces of broken glass that have been
Beverly
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Young Tommy explores the rocky beach by his grandmother's island cottage, finding pieces of sea glass. At night, he dreams of where that sea glass may have originated. On the last couple of pages, a young girl named Annie is exploring the same beach, while her grandfather Tom watches her find some sea glass, so the story comes full circle. The story is accompanied by beautiful, realistic watercolor illustrations.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Thomas finds sea glass along the shore. At night he dreams sea glass dreams.

A beautiful book, with lovely painted illustrations, filled with the flow of life and stories of the past.
Katie Fitzgerald
My five-year-old and I enjoyed this book. She required a lot of assistance to realize that some scenes were actually dream sequences, and neither of us ever fully grasped exactly what was going on with those, but there is a magical quality to the story that drew us to it nonetheless. The illustrations are beautiful, and the book as a whole is a perfect read to welcome the summer season.
Linda
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow, this is a gorgeous book, illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline and a story full of nostalgia by Michelle Houts. Some years ago, a young boy spends the summer with his grandmother at her cottage by the sea. He finds what he learns is a piece of sea glass, smoothed by its tumbling in the ocean from, perhaps, years ago. Grandmother tells that each piece is connected by a story, one we may never know, but it has one. She gives him his grandfather's magnifying glass to look at his found ...more
Madison Dionne
Summary: Thomas is at his grandmother’s cottage for the summer. His grandmother gave him his grandfather’s magnified glass. She also gave him a piece of sea glass. Thomas is very curious about the sea glass because it does not look like glass to him. That night, Thomas has a dream about how sea glass is created. One day, when Thomas and his grandmother were out on the beach, the sea washed up a large piece of sea glass with some letters. That night, he had a dream about sailors stuck on a ship ...more
Stephanie Bange
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A perfect story within a story to read to celebrate a New England summer at the beach.

Thomas is out beach combing the rocky shore while visiting his grandmother at her island cottage. She shows him a piece of sea glass, glass that has been tossed and tumbled by the ocean often enough that the ends are smooth and the glass scratched. He dreams of other ways glass could have made its way to be broken in the ocean and tossed on shore. Turn the page and zoom 50 years into the picture when a young
Margie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On the northwestern side of the shores of Lake Michigan, wanderers can expect a sensory experience. If you close your eyes, you can still feel the sun, a breeze, steady drops of rain or the grit of sand on your feet. You can hear the sound of waves on the beach, the screech of water birds, the barking of dogs or the laughter of children. Breathe deep the odor of beach grass, flowers and wet sand. When you reach to pick up a stone or piece of driftwood, the texture is smooth.

If you are most
Diane
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Thomas visits his grandmother's sea side cottage she gives him a magnifying glass that had once belonged to his grandfather. As Thomas begins to explore the beach, he finds unique pieces of sea glass and other treasures. His imagination has him dreaming of shipyards, the christening of ships and other imaginings about the past as well. Fast forward and years later Thomas is a grandfather himself, he gets to see his own granddaughter Annie, explore the magic of the sea as well.

This book was
Marcia
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely story about the magic of the ocean and how the treasures it reveals not only remain unchanged from one generation to the next but that those same treasures may connect people of various time periods. Gorgeous watercolor paintings make one long to experience or return to the lazy summer days of childhood at the seashore. The backstory of individual sea glass finds is shown in lovely grayscale bringing history alive.
Lynne
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Simple story, excellent and gorgeous illustrations by Bagram Ibatoulline....

I collect children's books in which I like the illustrations (my first one was Misty of Chincoteague because I fell in love with the pencil drawings...they even had protective translucent paper over each illustration).

I will be adding this to my collection. My grandkids are far too young for the story...but I'm never too old for an appreciation of excellent illustration.
Lynn
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Each piece of sea glass has a story of its own," his grandmother tell Thomas during his summer with her on the beach. At night Thomas dreams of those stories. Years later the story comes full circle as a new child discovers the magic of sea glass.

Gorgeous watercolor illustrations fill the pages, celebrating story, imagination and the mystery of sea glass. An author's note explains sea glass and the fact that there is less of it.

Lovely and unusual.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Spoilers) With a touch of that summer magic, this book explores a child's imaginations of each piece of sea glass he picks up from the beach. Each night he dreams of a different adventure, until one day, he can't find any more glass on the beach. And just as he's about to leave, he leaves behind some of his own glass to become sea glass. And then the cycle starts anew.
Tina
A look at how sea glass forms through a child-friendly story of a grandmother-grandson and ends with that grandson with his granddaughter exploring as well.

I appreciate the author's note at the end telling how sea glass came to be and why it is now rare to find it.

Vivid illustrations of the story and the children's dreams - awesomely beautiful!
Julie Hedlund
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, but this book is beautiful! Timeless and unforgettable. It ties the thrill of cataclysmic events with the magic of simple moments held dear by one person. You can practically smell the salt from the sea and feel the smoothness of the glass. Perfect for beach-lovers, collectors, and anyone with family traditions and a sense of wonder about the stories behind the things we find and keep.
Marcia
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I collect sea glass, so this book had me at go. There is no better day than finding a piece of blue or green sea glass on the beach.
Ibatoulline's watercolors are exquisite as always, and it is a nice summer-time story. History goes full circle, which is a familiar, but sweet theme. Beautiful!
Victoria
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michelle has offered us a beautiful story spanning three time periods and numerous locations. And Bagram makes this children's picture book perfection with his gorgeous watercolours. Thank you to you both.
Joan Marie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how the author wove this gentle, heart-warming story, going back and forth in time, how she used dreams to add more depth and historical details, how she brought the story full circle, and even her author's note at the end. And the illustrations are equally gorgeous.
June
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ocean and summer requests
Recommended to June by: goodreads
A unique view of the stories sea glass could tell via dreams to those who find them. It didn't quite gel for me, but an interesting read.
Kelly
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very, very nice story. I liked the jumping from the present story to a back story that could possibly explain the situation of the current one. I liked the tempo and the mood of the book.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sea glass found on the shore provides a window into the past and a connection to the future. Beautiful watercolor illustrations by Bagram Ibatoulline.
Maria Marshall
A beautiful interweaving of past events seen through bits of treasure found on a beach. It is touching, imaginative, and haunting.
DeNae
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imaginative and lovely. The connections to the past were heartfelt, and the pictures transported us back to our time on the East coast.
Dylan Teut
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading, would be perfect to show students a piece of sea glass and have them imagine the possibilities and write its story. Beautiful.
Danette
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
8/13/19 Read with Julia
Bethany
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Beautiful book from illustrations to the stories behind each of the pieces of sea glass.

• How to Read a Book
  • Because of the Rabbit
  • The Good Egg
  • Linus The Little Yellow Pencil
  • Hair Love
"My first memory of writing was when I was in first grade. I wrote an awesome retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk using my friends and myself as the characters. I don’t think my best friend was very happy when I cast her as the giant. The person who was happy, however, was my first grade teacher, Miss Course. She was so impressed that she sent me over to the second grade teacher’s classroom to ...more