Start by marking “Worry Says What?” as Want to Read:
Worry Says What?

Worry Says What?

Published September 4th 2018 by Natl Center for Youth Issues

To ask other readers questions about Worry Says What?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worry Says What?

La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
As someone who has suffered from anxiety for most of her life, I was interested in reading this book for kids to see how the topic of worry would be dealt with. I was one of those kids who was always worrying about something: dying of old age, losing my teeth, nuclear war (hey, it was the early '80s, and the Cold War was still on), the sun expanding into a red giant. I'm still a worrier, though much of that has to do with a severe case of OCD. This brings me to my main worry (pun intended?) abou ...more
Mimi
I'm usually rather sceptical about these 'helpbooks for kids', mainly because I rarely agree yith the suggested solutions for the problems. They often suggest ways to wrap your kids in bublewrap, or suggest evasion manouvers on the real problem.

But not this one. I actually liked this one. It offers a starting point to TALK TO YOUR KIDS, let them tell you their fears and offer positive support for them overcoming their fears themselves.

Oh, and the illustrations are cute too. Two thumbs up

I rece
Ronyell
I would like to thank NetGalley and National Center for Youth Issues for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The book starts off with a young girl mentioning about how there is a monster called Worry that would set up camp inside her brain and say things that would worry her. Whenever the girl receives a math test, the Worry monster would tell her that she cannot do the math test and the girl ends up not finishing the math test due to being worried. Another time w
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this story, Worry is a monster who lives in the main characters head. It comes out at various times such as when she takes a test or wants to play with others. Worry speaks and shouts at her saying things like, "It's too hard" or "They don't like you, they think you're weird" and so on. This poor girl can't sleep and is afraid to do much of anything. She begins to use self-talk to drown out the messages from the Worry Monster.

Again, this seems like a pretty simple answer to a very big problem
Holly
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Worry Says What? is a powerful little book intended for young children but . By personifying Worry, it makes an abstract concept more understandable for kids. It is an empowering book that will make pint-sized worriers feel more confident and more in control.

The child at the center of the story conveys that she hears Worry saying things like you can’t do it, you won’t get it right, the other kids don’t like you, etc. Worry really taunts her at night, saying she isn’t safe and mentions potential
Storywraps
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This important book is written by Allison Edwards, a Licensed Professional Counselor, whose specialty is working with families and children. She is the author of the bestseller book "Why Smart Kids Worry". She takes us on a journey with a little girl who is plagued daily with a big hairy Monster called Worry which causes her anxiety and fear around everything she tries to do.

"Worry's songs tie my tummy up in knots,
and the things he says make my heart beat very fast.
Sometimes he speaks in a whis
Katya Vinogradova
A full review on my blog

I received a complimentary copy of this book from National Center for Youth Issues through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

The hero of this story, a Girl, has been living with a monster named Worry. He torments her all day, every day - telling her she’s not worthy of success, she’ll never have friends, she should just give up and not try anything. Will the Girl really give up, or will she learn to stand up to the monster and fight?
Alliso
Lucy (Talk Less, Smile More)
*I received a copy of this eBook via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is the second children's book I've read this year that has blown me away! Initially I was drawn to this book because I wanted to see how the topic of anxiety would be handled in a children's book. As a young girl, I worried about everything. I would get nervous everyday before school because I didn't know what to expect. Would the teacher call on me today? Would I have to read a paragraph out loud to the class (
Sam
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worry says What? captures the base idea behind anxiety in a perfectly succinct manner. I believe that if I had read a book like this when I was younger (which is the demographic of the book) that I would have been able to put my feelings into words a lot easier. Allison Edwards provides an easy to read narrative with Ayesha L. Rubio's beautifully paired illustrations.

While it goes through examples of the anxiety monster making itself known, it also shows that you have control over the anxiety mo
Sally Wilsey
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a little girl who worries about everything. Will I do good in math, will other children like me, can I do well in gymnastics. Unfortunately it is a common problem with young children these days. I really like that the illustrator did not make the worry character scary. It made it's point but not to the point of fear. I also like the positive message of the girl overcoming this and how it was handled. There are also tips in the back of the book to use if you have a child who ...more
Brittany Smith
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have really bad anxiety so I was super curious to see how this book handled it, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it addressed anxiety. Obviously this book isn’t going to be an end-all cure for your child’s worries, but I think it is a great place to start! It personifies “worry” in order help children visualize and defeat it. At the end of the book it also gives tips on how to help your children overcome worry.

I loved the illustrations, and it was easy to read and flowed nicely! I wo
Sarka
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

An interesting tiny book for children and their parents about how you can face your fears.

Its good for a worried child to know she or he is not alone with this problem.
Id say it is a good complementary book to "Why Smart Kids Worry" or a similar book.
Donna Maguire
This book is excellent, very easy to understand and follow with some gorgeous images.

I loved the theme of the book and it is definitely one I would recommend to all parents should their children ever have doubts about their abilities-very well done and a lovely story to read - 5 stars!
Emily
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book and something I wish I had as a kid. Being someone who struggles with worry and anxiety I can deeply relate to this book. Also, the art style is absolutely ADORABLE!
Sarah Elisabeth
Sep 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-21-40
This is a story about a girl who always worries. She worries about her math work, outside, gymnastics, and sleeping at night. Worry takes over her life, but in the end she conquers worry and tell him she is not afraid anymore. I love how this books gives different examples of worries students may have in your classroom. I think this is a great book to have a read aloud with your students. When you have a student who worries in the classroom it is also great to read so they feel better about thei ...more
T
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about how worry enters our life and how it affects us. I love using this book to explain worry to kids. It's kid friendly and breaks down worries.
joyce w. laudon
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
In this picture book, worry is anthropomorphised into a large gray monster that looks a bit like a critter from a book by Maurice Sendak. Worry tells the unnamed little girl that she cannot do things, will not be liked and is not safe at night. Sometimes Worry whispers while at other times Worry shouts. Worry follows her everywhere. The young girl in the story learns how to successfully talk back to Worry and notices that Worry then shrinks in size and moves on to someone else. Interestingly, in ...more
Denise
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great tool to use with children to help explain how Anxiety and Worry impacts our daily lives and how we can flip it and use it to remind them of what they are capable of accomplishing.
This is a perfect resource as a teaching tool for students with anxiety. I will be incorporating this into my classroom teaching in my Learning Centre.

*I received an advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Keri Janda
May 30, 2019
Ryan
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story. Worry is a fuzzy monster in this tale. He whispers into his little girls head and tells her she cant do things, that things are scary, etc. Until our girl makes a plan to stop listening to Worry and show him the door. I love how the author has taken an idea or emotion and made it a living thing that can be talked to and seen. And sometime to stand up to and conquer. Plus, it isn’t hitting the reader on the head again over and over and over, with steps to make him go away. Just sel ...more
Jespionage310
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written and illustrated book. I loved that the author tackled a tough topic, and gave ways to help a child understand anxiety and make it it go away. I will be buying a copy of this to add to our bookshelf. Highly recommended.
Susan
Aug 29, 2018
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worry Says What? by Allison Edwards is an adorable picture book for kids about anxiety and how to deal with it. Worry is a fluffy monster who lives in the mind, and Whispers fretful things like 'you can't do this’ or 'people don't like you’. The more you listen options worry, the bigger it gets. But if you believe in yourself, and pay attention to what is actually going on, then worry diminishes. This is a great book to teach kids the value of mindfulness, and using affirmations to lessen worry. ...more
Poongothai
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Interesting book on how to deal with anxiety about little worries in a kid's life.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing the eARC.
Jackie Denarie
Jul 27, 2019
Hannah-lynette Hunter
Aug 28, 2018
Karen
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worry Says What is written by Allison Edwards, a Licensed Professional Counselor who specializes in working with families and children. This is a wonderful book for children of all ages, focusing on how to overcome their fears in regards to worrying. It is also beautifully illustrated to help tell the story.

All children worry, whether it is about an upcoming test, making new friends, or bedtime monsters. This story explains a way for children to meet that worry head on, and gives examples on how
Jessica Sinarski
Aug 18, 2019
Kristen Clark
Sep 21, 2019
Allison Edwards is a Licensed Professional Counselor and a Registered Play Therapist who specializes in working with children, adolescents and their families. She received her undergraduate degree in Education from Northwest Missouri State and a graduate degree in Counseling from Vanderbilt University.
Before opening a private practice, Allison developed and maintained a play therapy program for at