Start by marking “Putting the Fun in Funeral (Everyday Disasters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Putting the Fun in Funeral (Everyday Disasters, #1)

Putting the Fun in Funeral

(Everday Disasters #1)

Beck Wyatt has always hated her mother—enough to kill her. As luck would have it, someone beats her to murdering Mommy Dearest and now Beck gets to plan the tackiest funeral the world has ever seen for the worst woman she’s ever known.

But first, Beck has a few minor problems to deal with. First on the list? Avoid getting kidnapped. She also has to convince the police she
Published September 4th 2018 by Lucky Foot Press in conjunction with BVC

To ask other readers questions about Putting the Fun in Funeral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting the Fun in Funeral

Start your review of Putting the Fun in Funeral (Everyday Disasters, #1)
Mara
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3 1/2
Forget the title, this book has a dark theme in the background, always there when there's power and misuse.
But yes, it's also fun at times. I will certainly keep reading this series, even if this book has annoyed me at times with its useless "romantic thread" (totally out of character) and the usual heroine's uber snowflake personality. I loved her, but magic without price does always seem to me wishful thinking.
As Dani perfectly wrote:

PtFiF is a solid first book in a new/>
PtFiF
Dani
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
When Beck's mother is murdered, she does not bother to conceal her unfettered joy. This is perhaps not the best stance to adopt when the police are quizzing her. Then someone comes after Beck with both physical and magical attacks. Magical, because the family Beck knows nothing about turns out to be sorcerous, as does she.

At the start of the book, we are given to understand that Beck's mother was an evil psychopath. The more we find out about her as the book progresses, the worse she
Cynthia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
I save my 5-star ratings for books that keep me up way past my bedtime and Putting the Fun in Funeral ruined a night's sleep! (FYI, my ebook was sent to me by the author for an honest review). I always enjoy Diana's books and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. She read excerpts from the beginning last year at a convention and it sounded as if it would be a fast, funny read--and it was! Her main character, Beck, hardly has a chance to start celebrating her horrible mother's death when all ...more
Shandare
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I started this book with positive expectations, but the more I read, the less I liked. The main character Beck hates her mother, who was apparently vicious and abusive. And magical. The magic element is mostly irrelevant to the working of the story. Oh, it’s there but any kind of world-building based on it is vague and flaky.
Beck whines through the majority of the story, acting like a special snowflake. I really found I could not make a connection with the character at all. Not to mention the r
Darcy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, rw, uf, 2019, magic
I really liked this author's Horngate Witches series, so when I saw she had a new one I knew I'd read it, then I read the title and really knew I'd read it. lol

I really liked this one and a big reason is due to Beck, I loved her. Beck hasn't had an easy life, but she is so down to earth and loyal to her friends. The more that we learn about Beck's life the more that I was happy that her mother died and died in a bad way! I'm unsure of what Beck learned about her family in the afterma
Layla
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
So I finished this book and then read the author's message at the end. I have never been so baffled by the disconnect between my experience of a book and the author's. Ms. Francis apparently thought this was a rollicking fun ride of a read. A laugh a minute.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. I have to disclose spoilers. I'm sorry.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

The heroine is the victim of child torture from the time she could walk at the hands of her mother. Horrifying torture. This torture continues u
Ada Haynes
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
my first try at this author, and sorry, but it's not going to be ever again. (Though I read in other comments that her other books are better)
There are some very good ideas through the story. I am a big fan of fantasy, and I read chick-lit from time to time, so no issue with the genres. I'd just wish the author had stuck to one main theme, developed it more, instead of going all directions. The story keeps going between an interesting fantasy story, friendship and a very bad attempt at hot
CH Keyes
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book and laughed out loud? Ever talk to the characters, saying things like, "Oh, yeah, I feel you!" or "She deserved getting skewered by that giant stone gargoyle penis"? Love cheesecake and friendship that has your back even more than family? How about some sexy back-and-forth between a couple that you know needs to burn off some of that energy vertically (or horizontally--hey, no judgements and if your back and legs can take it, go for it!). How about some mystery and intr ...more
Mary B. Grove
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
not my cup of tea

which is odd because I like all her other books, but this one is just too standard an urban fantasy. Snarky heroine with more powers than she’s aware of? Check. Overly protective and dominant male love interest, who fell in love/lust with the h the moment he saw her? Check. Girlfriends ready to dish at any moment, with TMI about their sex lives and the h’s? Check.

Then there’s the ridiculously-over-the-top relationship between the h and her mother. I had a very hard time b
Mary
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when you mix a bit of mystery, paranormal, and romance? You find out about “Putting the Fun in Funeral,” of course! Diana Pharaoh Francis has done a masterful job of creating marvelous characters and setting them into a story that keeps you turning the pages.

Beck Wyatt knows she is from a magical family but knows little about how to use her powers. She hated the woman she knew as her mother, and when that woman is murdered in an unusual fashion which she finds remarkably
Maggie Mcdonald
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was a little different for this author, in my opinion. At least different from the 2 series I read.

Her world building and plot are absolutely spot on and completely draw me into her world and make me want to keep reading. I read it in 2 days. I really like the premise and can't wait to learn more.
I really liked the description of the spell casting. I've never read anything like it before and really hope there is more.

My only complaint, which may not be a complaint for other readers,
Daryl Ball
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
What grabbed me with this book was the title and synopsis. It had a lot of great moments in it and the MC Beck was well defined and fun. The supporting characters didn't really get enough time to develop an opinion on them but they were distinct from each other. Once the story gets moving it's easy to lose track of time but although there is a "reveal" regarding who the actual antagonist is, by that point in the story it was pretty easy to predict their identity. That said there were quite a few ...more
Sara L.B.
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge it by its title

I had this book sitting for a while. Finally read through a host of samples etc and decided to stop putting it off. I thought it would be a more light-hearded comedy, maybe a but shallow to keep it short, fast and light-hearted. That wouldn't have been bad, but instead I was very pleasantly surprised with a good length novel and characters and plot I can really sink my teeth into. So refreshing after coming off a bunch of books I finished in 2 hours and promptly fo
Airwreckah
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting but a bit too tortured

The world building in character building were engaging and relatively deep. But the levels of torture applied to the poor heroine Seemed grossly disproportionate to it was necessary to make her sympathetic. Trigger warnings for all sorts of stuff rape violence torture etc. and yet relatively not graphic gore. Although the poor hair when is repeatedly put through massive beatings that are magically healed only to be completely demolished again. A bit excessive i
Lorraine Caprio
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down. It was a quick read for me because I wanted to know what happened next. The story was funny, sexy, engaging with characters that I rooted for and became invested in, so much that I can't wait for the next book. I loved the chemistry between the characters as well as the love that Beck, Lorraine, Stacey and Jen had for each other. Damon and Beck were great. Loved Ajax. And interested to learn more about Mason and Ben. Really can't wait for the next installment.
Kristi Gladden
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Balls to the wall” fun....

This is an amazingly fun book with an original story-line that kept me up way to late last night....Beck is a hilarious, generous, and loyal heroine, and I loved every minute of this book. I can’t wait for the next one, and I can’t believe I haven’t heard of her before reading this book. I will be snatching the rest of her series as soon as I have finished this review....
Adrianne
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the humor in this paranormal romance. It took me a while to warm up to the heroine, Beck, who's coming to terms with a lifetime of abuse when Damon, the love interest, shows up and tells her that everything she was told as a child was a lie. Needless to say, Beck has a lot of trouble learning to trust. I love that Damon was warm and caring, rather than a controlling "alpha male." And I love that Beck stands up for herself, in spite of numerous handicaps.
Angela
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are soft hearted and prone to giving up ...

This is not the book for you.

If you like your leads kick ass, feisty, and strong willed, you have to give this book a try. I teared up a few times while reading this book. My heart HURT.

That being said, caring about a fictional character means the writer did an amazing job and you should read it for yourself to see if I’m right or wrong.
Melindeeloo
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - I liked this book but the fun is pretty much at the start - the reasons that 'mom' deserved an irreverent funeral is not fun. I did like the main character, but she is one of those who refuses to take precautions when powerful people are after her, and spends a good amount of time healing from serious injuries.
Kathleen
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a good start to a promising urban fantasy series but not quite as wacky as the title and blurb hint. There are some really bad things hinted at and it's hard to laugh a lot after that, but there are a good cast of characters, an interesting world, and lots of directions for the story to take without leaving you with a cliffhanger. I'm "in" for the next book.
Nicole Luiken
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy, romance, ebook
I love the author's blend of action-packed urban fantasy with a smoking hot romance. I really liked the main character: tenacious, bullheaded, compassionate and afraid to trust. An interesting magical world with almost mafia-like magical families.

Quibble: most of the chapters were quite short but a few were very LOOOOONNNG
Krow
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love it!!!

Completely outside of what i would normally choose to read, but I'm so glad i took the time to do so! The characters were fantastically written, and i especially liked Ajax. The plot stated our very strong from the beginning and kept me desperate to know what came next.
Penny
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Too much romance scenes for my taste (at least when it comes to UF)
... Beck is annoying at times. The plot doesn't always flow smoothly and sometimes falls flat. The characters sometime felts a little one dimension. All in all not bad, but I read a few books written by this author and expected a little more from her, but maybe it's just me...
Wendy Bocock
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dutu
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Uh I just loved it!

I'm so upset that it was only one book, and that I have to wait for the next one. The story does seem like one for kids or teens more, but it was a nice reading, light and also intersting in the same time.
Cattigan Dawes
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and so VERY fun!

A friend bought this book at a signing. During the two hour drive home, she read me a few pages and I was hooked! It's not my usual flavor of book. I really liked it! It's funny, quirky, and has a kick a$$ heroine.
Aleta
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tired of helpless, dependent heroines? Beck Wyatt is anything but. She's balls-to-the-wall, zero F's given, tough, independent, fierce, and formidable. This was a run ride and I can't wait to see what happens next!
Susan A. Croft
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very different. An excellent read. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Excellent read couldn't put it down. Would highly recommend. Please give it a try. Definitely a different take on the paranormal scene.
Kylie Hampton
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked it well enough. Not sure I’ll bother with the sequel. It needed a strong edit. I constantly found myself rereading sentencing or reconstructing them in my head to make sense.

The overall storyline was good. I loved her girlfriends. Hated the H. Guessed the bad guy. Decent book.
Emily Wilhite
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read

I have enjoyed many of Diana Pharaoh Francis's books. This was an interesting read with a good cast of.characters and interesting magical world. Interested to see where this goes.

• Taken (Blood Trails #3)
  • Wicked Games (TechWitch #1)
  • Hypnos (Seeking the Zodiacs #1)
  • Reluctant Psychic (Sasha Urban, #3)
  • Disheartened (A Null for Hire Novel, #2)
  • Corruption (Blood Trails #4)
  • Misfortune Teller (Sasha Urban, #2)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • No Kitten Around (Magical Romantic Comedies, #5)
  • Burn, Baby, Burn (Magical Romantic Comedies, #8)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • Dawn's Envoy (Aileen Travers, #4)
  • Blending In (Magical Romantic Comedies, #6)
  • The Girl Who Sees (Sasha Urban, #1)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Owl Be Yours (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4.7)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
I was raised on a cattle ranch in Northern California (outside a town called Lincoln which is now part of an enormous sprawl). I taught myself to ride a horse at the age of six, as no one had the time to teach me—they were all busy learning how to irrigate, how to cajole an angry bull into another field, how to pull a calf… Afraid of heights, and absolutely sure I was going to die, I managed to sc ...more