Start by marking “Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)

Prince of Air and Darkness

(The Darkest Court #1)

Phineas Smith has been cursed with a power no one could control.

Roark Lyne is his worst enemy and his only hope.

The only human student at Mather’s School of Magick, Phineas Smith has a target on his back. Born with the rare ability to tap into unlimited magick, he finds both Faerie Courts want his allegiance—and will do anything to get it.

They don’t realize he can’t levita
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: February 25th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Air and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Air and Darkness

☆ Todd
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

I love a good M/M romantic fantasy novel and, for the most part, this one delivered.

Phineas Smith (Finn to his friends, Smith to his annoyingly-frustrating and critical arch nemesis) was a human studying at Mather's School of Magick, about to graduate, but still unable to control his connection to a powerful and dangerous ley line.

Previous humans able to access the ley line had all burned out like roman candles, not enough of them left even to bury, so as he was in his final year at college, he'
Renée
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
MM Fantasy is a hard subgenre for an author to get correct for my tastes. I say that because, as a reader, I don't have a lot of stories that I've 4- or 5-starred.

My first read for Grant delivered so many good things though. I quite enjoyed this book.

Finn and Roarke are students at Mather’s School of Magick, but they are both in their early 20s. The book didn't read as YA though. There is a lot of maturity in the characters that I was pleasantly surprised by.

Finn is human, but born to exceptio
haletostilinski
WOW! Oh man, I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.

Phineas Smith or Finny (or Finn as only Roark calls him) is a human in a magic world, as he can tap into the ley lines on earth and conjure magic, even if he can rarely, if ever, control it and it can be explosive when he can get it to even work in the first place.

And his nemesis is Fae prince Roark Lyne, has been for the past 6 years, even as he can't help but be attr
Deborah
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*

Firstly I have to say I usually avoid books about the Fae. I’ve just never read one I really liked but something about the blurb for this book just pulled me in.

I also didn’t realise this was a YA read and while I’m well out of the age range I have enjoyed a lot of YA reads in the past.

The books itself.

My first thought on finishing is that I’d been cheated.
Now all the reviews I’ve seen for this book have been really good, 4* plus. This seems to point to the problem being me. I’m not ruling
Deborah
3.5*

The books itself.

My first thought on finishing is that I’d been cheated.
Maggie
I received an advanced reading copy of Prince of Air and Darkness in exchange for an honest review.

This was a 4-star read for me.
It was just what I needed to read at the moment.

What can I say about this book?
I loved it, from the very beginning until the end, and it left me craving for the next book.
The synopsis gave me Carry On (by Rainbow Rowell) vibes, the story had a similar vibe but the story itself was completely different.
I was never bored with this book and I enjoyed every second of it
Alison
Phineas (Finn) Smith is a human at Mathers School of Magick, in his final year he has still to learn how to control his rare and unusual ability to tap into unlimited magick (I have to confess I found that out from the blurb as I don't think it was described like that in the novel). All known humans with his ability have died young, unable to control their power, ripped apart by the magic.

Unseelie Prince Roark Lyne, third son of Queen Mab, is Finn's room-mate and he always seems to be hanging ar
Amy - bookish_heights
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this novel!

Title: Prince of Air and Darkness
Author: M.A Grant
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Release date: 25th February 2019
My Rating: 4 stars
Trigger/content warnings: Violence and gore, sex scenes.

I recently found this book while scrolling through 2019 book releases on Goodreads and I instantly added it to my TBR. I was so happy when I saw this on NetGalley and even happier when I received the approved notification!

This story i
LOLA
Really enjoyed this one. Magic and royalty. Young men coming into their own. Slow burn. Hot moments. A good mystery.
Also, a few bad guys. This book has all the things I like .
You could call this an YA. But that didn't even register to me.
Finn and the"PAD" make a hard won couple.
Ley Lines are all Finn. Then working with his roommate to learn control.
This tale goes in a few different directions. Well written and entertaining.
(Given a copy for an honest review)
(Thanks)
(NetGalley)
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
I do believe this is my first MA Grant book and it's a great find.

The idea that this powerful magical "let line" finds a human host and usually burns through them by a young age but Finny (Phineas) has already passed up that age and is at a magical school tryin to learn how to control it.

His roommate, Roarke, and him don't seem to get on. Roarke is constantly saving Fin from all kinds of monsters that are seeking out his power but then he insults Fin immediately after to put some distance betw
Vicki

This was one of my most anticipated books of 2019 so imagine my happiness when I was sent an ARC?!

Why was I anticipating this book so much?
Three words: Adult. Queer. Fantasy.

Of which we are woefully lacking. I am constantly hunting, pleading, begging for more well-written queer relationships, that are front and centre, in fantasy. This was the exact type of book I had been looking for. I feel lik
Ash
Nov 29, 2018 is currently reading it
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
So like — the storyline was really everywhere and I couldnt keep track of anything that was happening.

But the tension and the sex was good until it just fell flat and I WANTED MORE but apparently we can’t get what we want 😭
L. Layale
ARC provided via netgalley

I absolutely loved this Rourk and Finn were so cute dancing around each other like they were. The story around the war with the fae was well written. I could not put this down and devoured it.

My only issue or two would be the prolouge of the world and Finn. I didn't quite get how he came to his power or the world in which the story took place. I felt like it needed more set up and disposition because Finn is supposed to be human to some extent, but at the same time wie
Nicki K.

As a human with the extremely rare-and volatile- ability to tap into ley lines, Phineas Smith wasn't even expected to live past his twentieth birthday. Despite having lived longer than any other recorded human with the ability, Finn still struggles to control his unlimited power, much to the dismay of his roommate, Prince Roark Lyne. Finn has repeatedly had to be rescued from power-hungry beasts by his broo
Emalie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I told a friend about this book after I sent in my request to review it on NetGalley and she was like "what is it about?" and I answered "Fae...". Her response was "fae? You hate fae, how come you requested this?" Well, she isn't wrong, but... the synopsis spoke to me and I had this intense notion to hit that request button. Let me tell you though, I seriously don't regret it one bit. This is - I believe - the very first book with fae in it that I like. That is huge!

I loved the whole human and l
Leanne
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fae stories are probably my favourite sub genre, so I was eager to read this book. I found this to be an engaging and interesting read; it was fast-paced and I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I like how Roark and Phineas' relationship developed; it wasn't rushed or insta-love, and I am always a fan of the enemies-to-lovers trope. Add in their complicated individual histories and you get an intense, exciting and ultimately likeable relationship. I usually don't really like dual persp ...more
Nicki Markus
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-lgbt
Prince of Air and Darkness was a gripping and entertaining read from start to finish. I loved the characters of Finn and Roark, and the development of their enemies-to-lovers relationship. I also enjoyed the background plot of the growing tension between the two Courts, and how our heroes got caught in the middle of it. There was one small plot hole connected with the Knighthood, which irked me a little, but it wasn't enough to spoil my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent read. I would certainly ...more
Melanie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-fJb

From that review: "As a lover of fantasy, I had two thoughts upon finishing this story.  First, I wanted to immediately tell Free Dreamer she had another story to read and secondly, I bemoaned the fact that I had to wait for the next book in the series to come out.  What a gripping story!  I can't wait to see where this saga is going because if the next tale is anywhere half as am
Neil Plakcy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Finny and Roark are real characters (though Roark is the titular Fae prince) and their desire to be together, complete with the angst that comes when it appears they can't, makes for a great story. I'm looking forward to the next in this series.
Colin Hardy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is always a pleasure to read a solid fantasy that has sufficient depth and richness to sustain a novel of any real length, particularly where there is a good m/m core theme; this is one such tale. Characterisation is interesting and frustrating in equal measure. There is good character development but background is only introduced in the latter part of the book and then is done so in dribs and drabs and is incomplete. This makes it very difficult to fully understand the individuals and why th ...more
Kari Lemor
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read an early copy of this story and it is excellent. It's fantasy and m/m, which aren't my typical go-to read but this author makes magic with everything she writes and I couldn't look away! Page turner!!
*~*~*Hyperion & Interabang*~*~*
Dec 25, 2018 marked it as 0-mm-not-sure-if-i-will-read
Hmmmm is it a coincidence that this book is titled to sound like an answering counterpart to Cassandra Clare's "Queen of Air and Darkness" from the "Dark Artifices" trilogy?!!? Very intriguing indeed o__O!! Not crazy about the similarity and how it so conveniently falls so close to Clare's 3rd book and its very recent release! I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong with the similarity [as long as the work is ORIGINAL]; I AM saying I find it intriguing ... because that title cannot be a coincidenc ...more
Amy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, own-them, favorites
This was amazing and absolutely brilliant! I was hooked from the first words to the very end, and even now, want much much more. Finn and Roark have so much chemistry and you can’t help but cheer for them to have a happy ending, which they sort of get at the end of the book. Finn finally finds himself and realizes how much power he has by himself, and no longer fights the Ley Lines. Roark is just one of those guys you love from the beginning, because they’re the “mean” guy, but secretly they are ...more
Roxanne
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars for pure enjoyment, the fact that I really could not put this down, and the glorious pining.

Run toward hope.

I love fae stories and this was no exception. I also love a badass prince and enemies to lovers. It's not hard to make me happy. This one made me real happy.

Phineas is the human snowflake with a power that will kill him. One that he can't control.
Roarke has been his roommate for 6 years and has been keeping an eye on him since the beginning. He didn't mean to fall in love with hi
Kris-10
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Prince of Air and Darkness absolutely hit the spot. It certainly has some Carry On vibes, but clearly stands on its own as a unique piece of work with distinct characters I couldn’t help but fall for, especially dear Roark, whose feelings for Finn made me giddy. I am completely fascinated with the world M.A. Grant has built and cannot wait to return to it in the sequel, where I hope Roark and Phineas will still have a prominent role. They were so fun together and there definitely seems to be mor ...more
Amy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anadosen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading I couldn't put it down. M.A. Grant is magnifysent and amazing writer.I cannot wait to read more of there books.Keep up the great work.You should definitely read this book.Can't wait for the next book.
Vicki
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it

This book has an interesting premise and lovely main characters that are fairly well developed. The fantasy world building is fairly low in this books, but there are still elements that I found enjoyable. I would say the largest struggle reading this novel was the pacing. The relationship and events were a bit all over the place and the second half of the book was much more enjoyable that the first half.

If you'r
Kris
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book. My review is my own. There really wasn't too much I didn't adore about this book. It had all the right check marks ticked off: Fae mythology and hints of other Pantheons, romance, snark, a clever world sideways to our own, and two delightful main characters that I can't wait to see more of in the next book hopefully.
M.A. Grant has always loved reading and writing, but fell in love with the romance genre when she started working at an independent bookstore in high school. After meeting her husband in college, they began a steady northward migration and are now happily living in the rugged beauty of Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula. When she’s not calling out to passing ravens or making a cup of tea, she’s writing dark ...more

The Darkest Court (3 books)
  • The Marked Prince (The Darkest Court, #2)
  • The Iron Crown (The Darkest Court, #3)