Start by marking “Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground” as Want to Read:
Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground

Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground

Sometimes being a Washington DC insider means access to political movers and shakers--sometimes, as in the case of photographer Cynthia Connolly, it means access to a great collection of photographs from the glory days of DC hardcore punk. Taken both by Connolly and an assortment of punk enthusiasts, BANNED IN DC is a set of vibrant shots that portray the anarchic spirit, ...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Sun Dog PR

To ask other readers questions about Banned in D C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banned in D C

Start your review of Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
My initial review of this was 15160 characters - 5160 over the limit. I have to cut out over a 3rd of it. Looking thru it is like looking at a high school yrbk that's for the outcasts & rebels.

Around 1972, when we were both 19, John Duchac & I went to a concert called The End of the World Show. A group played that I sometimes credit w/ being Baltimore's 1st punk band: The Grand Poobah Subway. The latter were completely irreverant, they used styrofoam guitar props that they destroyed. It
Paul Maniscalco
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
the "companion" book to dance of days. if you only like picture books than look at this one and skip reading the aformentioned dod. cool pics of all the old dc legends 'back in the day' (when they had hair and no guts)
Mo
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
You wish you had been there. I know I do. But I was in catholic school lockdown. Oh well.
Benjamin
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a bit like reading somebody else's yearbook -- it's kind of hard to say if it's good or bad, but I was clearly not the target audience for this book. I appreciate that something like this exists in the world, though.
Eric
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant photo collection of DC punk. One of my all time favorites.
James
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
this is mostly a photo book and partly an oral history of the dc punk scene in the early '80s, and it's basically just okay. there are some great photos of some great bands, like minor threat, rites of spring, and bad brains, but for the most part, and this is supported by the chosen quotes they've pulled, the book is VERY scene specific, going even beyond just focusing on the dc scene to really seeming more like a scrapbook for a group of friends. it's a relatively worthwhile chronicle for ...more
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: rock
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Morgan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A labor of love, this completely DIY compendium collects snapshots and anecdotes from one the nation's most unique and influential music scenes and recalls a bygone era of wholly handmade culture. The (now) new 7th edition includes an afterword by Cynthia Connolly that the uninitiated should probably read first. There is still no UPC code and she continues to publish and distribute the book herself!
Rik
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish I could say the nostalgia provoked by Clague was insufferable. I can't however, because I was oblivious to this scene. Right place, right time, attention in all the wrong places. Thanks to Clague, I get a real sense of what my peers with sharper taste were experiencing and the fundamental place it has in what I later came to love.
David Debacher
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This collection of pictures and stories is more or less a must-have for fans of early Dischord-era harDCore. It takes place in DC in the early 80's, and it's one of those books that make you feel like you were born in the wrong era. I would have enjoyed more insights from the editor herself instead of purely quotes from the bands & their fans, but I guess that's not what she was going for.
Jake Brockman
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great DC punk rock collection book. with pictures and scene topics.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-arts
Interesting read stolen from my husband.
Kylos
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all the young punks
when you're late to the game you can always benefit from someone else's memories. thank god some people are nice enough to share them.
Lindsey
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read in a record store on a snow day to really up my punk cred.
Brian

• Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Index
  • Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Commodify Your Dissent: Salvos from The Baffler
  • House of Psychotic Women: An Autobiographical Topography of Female Neurosis in Horror and Exploitation Films
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
  • Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People
  • The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats
  • Satori In Paris