Start by marking “Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)

Out in the Deep

(Out in College #1)

Derek Vaughn is a little too serious. He’s a type A control personality with a penchant for order and a love of water polo. But he’s determined to enjoy his last year of college. The real world with a serious job and big expectations can wait for a few months. He’s going soak up every minute on campus with his friends and teammates before he moves on. The only possible kin ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 149 pages
Published August 26th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Out in the Deep, please sign up.
Xanthe I have't read the original but I know that it's longer and has been expanded. More story to it and I really enjoyed it. I think there's 100 more pages…moreI have't read the original but I know that it's longer and has been expanded. More story to it and I really enjoyed it. I think there's 100 more pages so a lot more happens than in the original(less)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I have to be honest, as much as it pains me.

*deep breaths*

I didn't like this book.

There, I said it.

I love Lane Hayes' work and have five-starred many of her books, but Out in the Deep just didn't work for me.

I found the first-person POV to be limiting. Since Derek was the sole narrator of the story, I didn't really get Gabe. This narrative style is the author's signature, and I'm usually fine with it, even though I much prefer a dual POV. This time, though, I longed for a two-person perspect
.Lili.

Out In the Deep by Lane Hayes is precisely the type of story I enjoy getting lost in. It's about two college athletes who are still closeted. While at first, they have a massive rivalry they soon have to find a way to work together since they both end up playing for the same team--> in more ways than one. :D

Highlights:

-I love New Adult but admit to steering clear of them because sometimes authors throw so many problems that the angst feels unnecessary and forced. Derek and Gabe both have iss
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A romance with two bisexual athletes? Yes, please!

I haven't read a Lane Hayes book in some time, mostly because she is so nice in real life that it would crush me to hate her stuff. I didn't hate Out in the Deep, and I even really loved it at times, even though the dreaded I'm breaking up with you for your own good happened near the end (ugh).

Out in the Deep is a really sweet story with relatively low angst, which is nice for a closeted guy plotline (two closeted guys here). I wasn'
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
I was a bit worried about this one, based on a few friends reviews. And I do get where they were coming from.

Books where one of the characters is in the closet is normally not my jam. I don't care for the sneaking around, the lying, the pretending in public, etc.

I didn't like how Derek reacted to Gabe in the beginning, so I was super afraid I wasn't going to like him. I also didn't realize Gabe was also in the closet at that point. Oddly enough that helped.

And yeah, they acted a bit immature
Renée
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just not feeling it. They're reading as too young for me.
Cadiva
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lane hits the jackpot once again with the kind of new adult romance she does so well - low angst, seriously steamy and based on a great friendship.

I loved this one with Derek and Gabe and their water polo rivalry which exploded into a passionate relationship. Each character was crafted with care and I loved Derek's anal retentiveness and Gabe's dedication to not only his sport, but to being a good person.

There's a great set of secondary characters too and the setting sprang to life in vivid pict
Elsa Bravante
3.5.
No soy muy fan de esta autora, pero es una novella sencilla cuyos protagonistas son dos deportistas bisexuales en el college que al final ha resultado entretenida y una auténtica monada.
Mindy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute. I loved all the characters, and hope to see more out of the series. It was a nice light read and made me smile.
Elle
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful story. No real angst, just lots and lots of falling in love. I adored both Gabe and Derek, they just fit. Derek was such a hot mess, he made me laugh, but I loved his reaction to his obvious attraction to Gabe. Nothing was rushed, their relationship was so organic, I found their snuggliness adorable. As usual, with Ms Lane, the dialogue and the pace of the story was spot on.

If you want what ultimately is feel good story, I highly recommend this. It's a perfect start to a new s
Eugenia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, contemporary, sports
Super sweet and Sexy!! 3.5 Stars!!

The beginning of this OFY story was a little wonky, but things soon leveled out and the fun began!

Our water polo college boys were HOT and ADORABLE. There wasn't much to them, really, but I liked them nonetheless. Aside from internal worrying over labels, this was a very low angst book.

Included: first kiss, water polo high jinx, fun at the beach, loss of cherry (pain-free, of course), coming out, and an HFN.
Jules Lovestoread
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ended up really liking this a lot. I completely adored both MCs, and I enjoyed their story. Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com
Floripiquita
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Cortito y bonito, está protagonizado por dos deportistas de waterpolo que, a pesar de sus diferencias, se complementan muy bien.
DepictonFiction
Two star because I didn’t ‘feel’ it. I like the work of this author but this one was, for me, a slip of the pen.
Immature MC’s, the development of the relationship.... everything felt wrong.
Bev
3 stars from me. College boys who are athletes don't seem to be that different from frat boys as far as partying and drinking are concerned, but what do I know?? Couldn't wait to get away from school myself and earn some money, but back to the story....isn't the bisexual guy being done to death at the mo?? And we have two of them in this story, a kind of enemies to lovers thing.

Not my fave Lane story tbh, and I have to admit I'm getting pretty fed up of rich, white and entitled dudes in stories
haletostilinski
4 solid stars!

RTC...

~*~

After reading some reviews before reading this, I was wary to start it. It seemed like this was shaping up to be not as strong as Hayes' other books. But for me, it didn't turn out that way. I think that sometimes reviews are just differing opinions - which is totally fine! - but they're still great to read to get a general sense of the story and characters and if there is anything to warn about that the blurb didn't bother to.

But for this book, I didn't need to worry tha
Shannon

Such an adorably sweet read! Derek and Gabe are so darling, I love them! This was a really easy, fun summery story. No real angst or drama, but filled with lots of feels. I hope we'll get to see more of these two in the coming books!

While this is definitely a light-hearted read, Ms. Hayes really brought home how odd, and honestly sad, it is that those who aren't heterosexual have to "come out", that they just can't date who they want without it becoming this huge deal. Not that it was made into
Bridie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
A mostly unsuccessful coming out story.

While I liked this one, it had too much missing for me to truly say I enjoyed the ride. It was a very complex mess at times, leaving a lot of loose threads (girlfriend, disapproving parents, national team: all underdeveloped throwaway plot devices that went nowhere). I really felt like I was missing a whole half a story without Gabe's POV.
Kitty
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: epub, new-adult, sports
a no brainer
low on drama
perfect for this gray day
but a tad too much sex for me.
Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars.

Sweet, low-angst read. Features a bisexual character which is a refreshing change. My only quibble is that I'm not a huge fan of "in the closet" stories which this is. That said, Lane Hayes is the author so it was a well written and engaging story. Recommended!
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

This is one of those books where I ask myself, “Why did I wait so long to read it”? It was wonderful and I absolutely adored both Derek and Gabe and they were amazing together. I thought their relationship and Derek’s acceptance and exploitation of his bisexuality felt natural and authentic. I loved the pace at which their relationship moved.

These two men were sweet, perfect and they just fit. I can’t say enough how much I absolutely adored this book and I’ve already dived into Out in th
Amanda
This sport novella is simply perfect. It might be short, but definitely showcased a solid relationship development that packed a solid punch. It has a cute theme of sexual discovery, awkward male crush, plenty of sexy times and a little dose of reality/challenges with being a new adult.

Derek and Gabe are water polo nemesis. Derek couldn't stand Gabe's smug face and their tends to get on each other nerves during the games. But things took a different turn when Gabe joined Derek's collegiate team
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Derek Vaughn is captain of his college water polo team, a competitive, type-A-everything-in-order sort of guy, plus he’s gorgeous and a natural leader. He rarely loses his temper, as he tends to think things through, but damn, put him in the water with Gabe Chadwick as his opponent and he sees red. In his opinion, Gabe is egotistical, a smartass, and willing to do whatever it takes to wi
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoy this author's work and this book is not bad, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.
1. EX-DRAMA - this is getting old in all books, but it stood out here. Just please let's stop with this.
2. The closet - College is probably one of the few places you can be where coming out isn't that big of an issue. I think this is also becoming an overused theme especially in reference to athletes.
3. Maturity - high school and college are two different things and the maturity level reached in college i
Amazonaute
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: maybe-not
Not great. The story was focused on Derek’s inner process around attraction to a man, falling in love with him and the change in identity and how he fit into the world.

..except we never really got to know him. They all seemed a bit young for 23 years old.

And no one was particularly interesting.
David Alexander
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hayes
~4 Stars
Aure7ia
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

3.5* stars for the College romance. Probably for a younger audience than her previous books. Sweet and short, perfect for a hot summer day.
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Summer Read Stars.

After a bit of a rough start for me, not being pulled in due to the 'telling' storytelling, I was hooked to the very end once the novella found its pace.

As a sucker for love/hate, will they won't they, slow-burn romance, Out in the Deep hit all those notes for me. As soon as I connected to Derek, I read the book in one sitting. Resonating with me, I felt Derek's fury over Gabe rubbing him wrong, obviously o
Grace
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad read, but not amazing either. 2.5 rounded up

The chemistry was pretty great, and the plot was decent, but I honestly found Gabe to be a bit of an asshole for the first bit of the book, and I honestly wasn't sure what Derek saw in him, considering he was a dick who made out with his ex-girlfriend and kept goading him into losing his temper.

There are a lot of time jumps which the author kind of lazily handwaves away, which weren't the worst, but weren't great, either. And the subplot with
Angie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

To be honest I was bored when reading this book. I am sure I'm in the minority but it just didn't work for me. The first few chapters were too wordy which automatically turned me off. I need dialogue. Derek is bi, he figures that out when his ex is making out with Gabe at a party. There was a lot of drinking and partying, mostly due to Gabe and Derek being young and in college but it got old. I didn't feel any chemistry between Gabe and Derek
Lane Hayes is grateful to finally be doing what she loves best. Writing full-time! It’s no secret Lane loves a good romance novel. An avid reader from an early age, she has always been drawn to well-told love story with beautifully written characters. These days she prefers the leading roles to both be men. Lane discovered the M/M genre a few years ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel was ...more

Out in College (3 books)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)