Start by marking “The Not-So Great Outdoors” as Want to Read:
The Not-So Great Outdoors

The Not-So Great Outdoors

A reluctant camper discovers that the (not-so) great outdoors can be just as exciting as screens and skyscrapers in this playful picture book celebration of the pleasures of unplugging and embracing nature.

What's so great about the "great outdoors"? A grumpy urban kid begrudgingly accompanies her family on a summer camping trip, missing all the sublime sights right under
Published May 14th 2019 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Not-So Great Outdoors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Not-So Great Outdoors

La Coccinelle
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is a relatable story about a young girl who gets dragged off on a family trip for some camping and sightseeing in nature. At first, she doesn't want to go, and she keeps comparing the great outdoors with her urban home. Eventually, though, the sight of some bears at the side of the road intrigues her, and she comes to realize that the wonders offered by nature can be just as interesting as the ones created by humans.

I don't know that I loved the illustrations, but there's plenty
Abigail
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Reluctant Young Campers / Urban Kids Who Think They've Seen It All
A young girl is distinctly unenthusiastic about her family's camping trip in the "not-so-great outdoors" in this entertaining and ultimately heartwarming picture-book from Canadian author/illustrator Madeline Kloepper. The first half of the book chronicles the shortcomings of nature - no electricity, no fountains or sculptures, no playgrounds - as understood by the girl, but after a bear sighting she starts to become more open to the beauty and wonder of the world around her, ending on a positiv ...more
Etienne
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good one! Showing a young girl who doesn’t seem to know how to enjoy the outdoors, seeing only the negative aspect of it, and then switch and finally learn to enjoy it. A bit predictable of course, but what I like was the aspect of explaining and opening a dialogue with children about how to enjoy the outdoors. I saw that way too many times in my neighborhood. Kids getting outdoors and just standing there, talking, not knowing what to do, and it’s a very sad think to see. So I think that talking ...more
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little girl in this story hates nature. She wants her WiFi and her electricity, and she doens't see what the big point of this all is.

This is a cute book that starts out juxtaposition what nature has, with what the little girl claims it doesn't have. In one example, she says talks about missing the lights of the city, while above her is the aurora borealis.

The not so great outdoors

The not so great outdoors

Gradually, it all wears on her, and she realizes what a stunning place the outdoors is.

Fun to look at the pictures, as more and more of nature appea
Kelly
This story is very apropos to many of today's younger generation. Very good book. The illustrations could have been better, but no big deal.
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
This was a really cute picture book that offers a lot, if you take the time to take it in. A girl is not excited to be going into the not-so-great outdoors with her family. What’s wrong with staying in the city?? There’s nothing to do outdoors, nothing to see, not as much fun to be had… or is there?

I loved how the illustrations in this book contradicted the text, offering little secrets to readers who take the time to enjoy them. And I love the way we get to watch the girl slowly sta
Maura
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free advanced copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This is a great book for summer about a city kid learning to appreciate the outdoors. We follow a young girl who’s upset at the beginning of the book that her family is leaving the city for a vacation camping in the outdoors. She doesn’t see why they need to leave the city to “venture into the great outdoors” where there’s no electricity, no playground, and no city lights
Juliana Lee
Great example of how the text does not reflect the illustrations. The girl in the story does not want to go on a family outdoor adventure. Her reasons are many, but the illustrations show the opposite of her arguments. For example she argues there are no fountains or sculptures, but the illustration shows a waterfall and rock formation. By the end of the story, she sees that the great outdoors has more to offer than what she imagined.
Miss Ryoko
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw this book and was like "I can totally relate to this" because as someone who loves the outdoors but hates being in them, this title resonated with me.

However the story itself was backwards for me - I know how beautiful nature is and all the great things to see and do.... I just don't want to do it in a camping sense. I don't mind being in nature for a day.... or a few hours a day. But camping is a no bueno for me :-p
Emma
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oh-canada
I loved the illustrations in this book so much, I just want to go out into nature and meet some cute animal friends! Great read for encouraging kids to see all the amazing things they might be missing from not going out and exploring nature. I also absolutely adore the fact that the author/illustrator studied at Emily Carr AND lives in PG! Yay for BC content!
Luciana
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young girl from the city doesn't want to go camping. She has all she needs in the city. Her parents and brother are having fun discovering what nature has to offer; however, she misses the city.

She wants to go home and then she sees something that changes her mind and discovers the joys of being outside.
Barbra
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
An urban kid accompanies her family on a summer camping trip and at first can only think about what she may be missing in the city. But as they explore she begins to see things that are only found in nature and she comes to realize how beautiful they are. Readers can also explore the drawings on each page and find their own little treasures.
Ireadkidsbooks
A skeptical camper doesn't see why getting out of the city and into nature is such a big deal until a surprise sighting opens her eyes to the wonders of the great outdoors. Simple text and detailed illustration pair beautifully in a book that begs to be read by reluctants and nature enthusiasts alike.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little girl is not happy about leaving the city to go camping with her family in the great outdoors. At first she complains about all she's missing, until she sees all the wonders of the outdoors that she can't enjoy in the city. Great illustrations.
Earl
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I could relate to the main character since I'm not really into being outdoors- unless it's on my way to being indoors. But I loved the story and how the text contrasts with the beautiful illustrations.
Liz
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A girl is not excited to go spend the weekend in the "great outdoors," but she finds it's got similar things compared to the inside world but in a different way.
Y.Poston
Simple exploration
very well done!
Miss Sarah
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A young city girl and her family go camping and she is not enjoying one moment of it. Preschool and up
Tracie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A child is not thrilled to leave the city for a family camping trip, but they eventually come around and realize the outdoors has treasures and unique experiences too.
Muhemed Masika
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outdoors loves you go see the trees growing in dirt
Jodie
Enjoyed this story about the great outdoors.
Perry
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really nice picture book about unplugging yourself from tech for a bit to see what else is out there.
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great celebration of the natural world. Lots of kids will relate to the protagonist’s reluctance to spend time outdoors.
MayorEmma
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an arc of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't really care for the illustrations, but this is a decent picture book I guess, for kids who are interested.
Miss
Oct 02, 2019
Anne
Aug 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Madeline Kloepper is a Canadian artist with a Bachelor of Fine Arts and Major in Illustration from Emily Carr University of Art and Design. Although she grew up in the lower mainland of British Columbia amidst a sea of humans and spent a few years in Vancouver, she has since migrated northward to Prince George. Madeline’s work is influenced by childhood, nostalgia and the relationships we forge wi ...more