Start by marking “My Papi Has a Motorcycle” as Want to Read:
My Papi Has a Motorcycle

My Papi Has a Motorcycle

A celebration of the love between a father and daughter, and of a vibrant immigrant neighborhood, by an award-winning author and illustrator duo.

When Daisy Ramona zooms around her neighborhood with her papi on his motorcycle, she sees the people and places she's always known. She also sees a community that is rapidly changing around her.

But as the sun sets purple-blue-gold
Published May 14th 2019 by Kokila

To ask other readers questions about My Papi Has a Motorcycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Papi Has a Motorcycle

Adriana Martinez Figueroa
In this singular book, Quintero narrates an afternoon between Daisy and her Papi. They zoom around the city of Corona, California, pointing out the places they know and love. It’s a vibrant tour of tortillerías, churches, and markets, of la casa de abuelita, the construction site where Papi works. Succinctly, it’s home.
An ode to the author’s father and family, with its lyrical style that keeps your eyes glued to the page to the details she talks about. Add to that the colorful nod to the illust
Mariana Calderon
Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña: Our new instructors on what it means to look at a place with love.

From her perch on the back of papi's motorcycle, and in language reminiscent of a lazy summer dream, Daisy Ramona takes us on a tour of her city. Tortilleria, stray cats, the market where she gets gummy bears, a raspado place that just closed, her abuelitos' place, her papi's construction site - all are equally important in her eyes, and all equally loved.

The images and words combine to create a bea
Ms. Arca
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Family, community, holding onto those precious small moments that make up our sorta big lives. I grew up so excited to be on the back of my dad’s motorcycle, too.. the description of how it feels was so relevant to me! And he similarly showed me the layers and beauty of our home (also a gentrifying neighborhood like in this book), and what mattered.. and who mattered. This one struck a chord. Loved it.
Emma (Miss Print)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute! I adore the artwork. Really nice story about a little girl exploring her neighborhood and all of its changes (including some gentrification) with her dad on his motorcycle.
Effie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's a beautifully written love letter to the little girl's community and her father. The illustrations also evoke such a warm and loving feeling through the use of pink sunset colors, the welcoming, smiling faces of the community members (including the dogs!). It's a real feel-good read.
David Jr.
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Books and stories like these are going to play an important role in my son's life. Children need to see people who represent them in tv, books, and movies. I also feel that my son needs to know where he or his dad came from. He will be able to read my stories but others' will help too.
Deborah
May 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Quintero and Pena zoom around a neighborhood with a loving father and daughter, answering with affectionate specificity the important questions asked in the author's note: "Who are the people who build our cities and form our communities? Who are the people who get streets named after them, and who are the people who lay the asphalt?"
David
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A beautiful, moving story of relationships and the meaning of home, of comunidad. Incredibly illustrated.
Cassie Thomas
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read. What a genuine story that as a teacher opens up conversations as well as provides such a great mentor text.
Stephanie Bange
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed from an f&g.

The perfect window to peek into a ritual between a Latino father and his daughter.

Daisy has been patiently waiting for her father to return home from his job in construction. She knows they will hop on his motorcycle for a ride on a big loop of their town -- by her abuela's church and the tortilleria, by the market and murals in town, by her abuela's house and the dogs behind the fences, by the construction site, around the circle, and then home for a sweet treat.

An auth
Lauren Kell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely wonderful story celebrating Quintero's hometown all the people who helped to build it, both in the past and today. Daisy's papi owns a motorcycle, and everyday when he comes home from work, he takes Daisy out on a ride around town. As they travel through town, they pass familiar landmarks, like her abuelita's church, the tortilleria, the panaderia, the market, and her school. They also pass by all the residents of the city, like the librarian, her grandparents, her friends ...more
Tasha
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Daisy loves to ride with her father on his motorcycle. After he finishes his work in construction, he always has time for an evening ride with her. They ride like a comet on the hot asphalt, zigzagging through the streets. Together they rumble through their Southern California town and visit all of the sites that Daisy loves. There is Joy’s Market where they see their librarian shopping. Murals on the walls tell the story of their history as Mexican-Americans. They plan to stop for a sweet treat ...more
La Coccinelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This picture book has the feel of a graphic novel in places, with the illustrations and onomatopoeia (sometimes in Spanish!) and the general flow of the story. It's a sweet little slice of life featuring a girl and her father and their daily motorcycle ride.

The text really brings the story to life, and although some of the words and imagery might be a little flowery and poetic for the youngest readers, the illustrations are fun to look at and will keep kids engaged. I personally really enjoy boo
Uncorrected proof generously provided by the publisher. To be published in May 2019.

Quintero, author of the AMAZING Gabi, a Girl in Pieces, lovingly describes her town of Corona, California, as readers see it flash by from the back of her dad's motorcycle. Most readers won't know it's Corona or California until the author's note at the end. Loved how she included plenty of Spanish words, but the illustrations help with the translations for the readers who only know English. The occasional poeti
Jana
This wonderful picture book celebrates the amazing relationship between a father and his daughter as they take their regular after-work motorcycle ride around their community. The little girl greets the father at the door with helmets in hand as he arrives home after a hard day at work. But they take off on a ride past the familiar buildings and homes. The author does an amazing job using descriptive details to help us imagine this ride: "The shiny blue metal of the mororcycle glows in the the s ...more
Brittany Baker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully written AND beautifully illustrated, and the writing and art complement each other very well. Readers of all ages should be moved by the depth of feeling in this daily father-daughter ritual of taking a ride after the father's long, hard day of work. "When [Papi] lifts me onto the smooth black seat [of his motorcycle] his hands don’t feel rough, they don’t feel tired—they feel like all the love he has trouble saying." The everyday is made magical in this story, with fami ...more
Kayla
Uncorrected proof provided by publisher. This story truly is a love letter to family and community as both experience the consequences and changes of gentrification. The author asks the questions, "Who are the people who build our cities and form our communities? Who are the people who get streets named after them, and who are the people who lay the asphalt?" Pair alongside Maybe Something Beautiful or The Last Stop on Market Street to begin to answer those questions with students.
Lorie Barber
Thank you, Koliko Books, for the advanced copy to share with my #bookexpedition group. When I read this aloud to my students for yesterday’s #classroombookaday, so many of them saw themselves in it and wanted to share their experiences with their families, their histories, and their culture. I absolutely love the narrative - in both English and Spanish - and the vibrant illustrations that supported. A must-have for my class when it’s out this summer!
Stacy  Natal
The best part of this book for me was reading it to a group of my students that included one Mexican girl. She kept pointing things out in the pictures that she remembered from her time in Mexico. She truly enjoyed it. I felt that it was a bit long, but felt her joy in hearing it. I like the message of community and family and was thrilled to find a book with Papi in the title. When my children were little they felt that no one else called their father Papi.
Ann Haefele
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful moment in time story about the love between a father and his daughter as they take a motorcycle ride around their California city. The city, consisting of many immigrant families, is changing, but the little girl realizes that home and family love will not change. Spanish is sprinkled throughout the book and a sense of nostalgia comes across strongly.
Andrew
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every day, Papi comes home from work and takes Daisy for a ride on his motorcycle through their neighborhood. They pass businesses, stray cats, friends, and family-- and though the city may change, it's Daisy's favorite place to be, closest to her heart. Lovely and sweet book about a father and daughter's bond over their daily motorcycle adventures.
Anthony
A young girl named Daisy Ramona tells the story of how her father after a hard day's work of building houses would take her for rides on his motorcycle around her neighborhood as she would enjoy their daughter/daddy time seeing the people, sights, and livelihood of the city. This story is based on the author's memories of growing up in Corona CA., once known as the Lemon Capitol of the World.
Tracie
Daisy Ramona describes the people and places she sees while riding on her Papi's motorcycle. Poetic description that mingles English and Spanish combines with warm illustrations combine to capture a lively community in an engaging story that gently touches upon history, immigration, gentrification, and change.
Alicia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Memories-- for the author it was using a character to share the joy she had writing motorcycles with her father and this book explores the beauty of the fading light and discovering your own neighborhood on the back of a motorcycle, just her and her dad.

Rich and lovely with some great perspective shots of the motorcycle ride.
Margie
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For however long they are in our lives, their influence grows. The memory of lessons learned from them and moments shared with them remain with us for as long as we live. Our fathers, or those men who are father figures in our families, leave this legacy with us hoping the best of it will become a part of who we are.

Their words, actions and time spent with us help to define and direct our intentions as adults. My Papi Has A Motorcycle (Kokila, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC, May 14, 2019
Gabrielle Draxler
I loved this. It took a father/daughter relationship and wove community, culture, and history through it. Amazing illustrations with so much life and detail. Really excellent, it felt like I was in the city with them.
Julie Kirchner
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I thoroughly enjoyed this picture book from the Kokila imprint. The characters and their love for their community and each other shines through. I especially enjoyed reading the back matter. I’m excited to see what other amazing titles come from Kokila!
Kayla
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute story about the relationship between a daughter and her father. The book was also a love letter to the author's hometown of Corona, California. I also loved the illustrations. They were beautiful and helped to bring the story to life.
Beverly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this for Mock Caldecott voting. I loved this memory of the author and her father riding their motorcycle through their home town. It just stirs memories of your own childhood. The illustrations are done in bright, vibrant colors.
Rebecca Caufman
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
An action packed motorcycle ride with a little girl through her town which she loves. I LOVED the author's note at the end. I wish I would have read that first and then read the story to give it context.
« previous 1 3 next »
Isabel Quintero is a writer, poet, teacher, wife, friend, sister, daughter, granddaughter, aunt niece, and a bunch of other things. She lives in the Inland Empire, where she was born and raised by Mexican immigrant parents and Mexican immigrant granddparents; the hospital where she was born in was converted to a Lowe's hardware store. That's how long ago she was born.

She learned to love reading a