Start by marking “My Papi Has a Motorcycle” as Want to Read:
My Papi Has a Motorcycle

My Papi Has a Motorcycle

When Daisy Ramona zooms around her neighborhood with her papi on his motorcycle, she sees the people and places she's always known. She also sees a community that is rapidly changing around her.

But as the sun sets purple-blue-gold behind Daisy Ramona and her papi, she knows that the love she feels will always be there.
Published May 14th 2019 by Kokila

To ask other readers questions about My Papi Has a Motorcycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Papi Has a Motorcycle

Start your review of My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Betsy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In American culture the motorcycle has long stood as a symbol of freedom and escape. Easy Rider, The Wild One, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (sorta), these are all books and films that equate motorcycles with independence. So what is the role of the motorcycle in childrens books? To answer that, I had to come to the realization that by and large, motorcycles arent very common in books for kids. Aside from Hagrid gunning through the sky and the occasional title like Granny the Pag ...more
La Coccinelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This picture book has the feel of a graphic novel in places, with the illustrations and onomatopoeia (sometimes in Spanish!) and the general flow of the story. It's a sweet little slice of life featuring a girl and her father and their daily motorcycle ride.

The text really brings the story to life, and although some of the words and imagery might be a little flowery and poetic for the youngest readers, the illustrations are fun to look at and will keep kids engaged. I personally really enjoy
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
In this singular book, Quintero narrates an afternoon between Daisy and her Papi. They zoom around the city of Corona, California, pointing out the places they know and love. Its a vibrant tour of tortillerías, churches, and markets, of la casa de abuelita, the construction site where Papi works. Succinctly, its home.
An ode to the authors father and family, with its lyrical style that keeps your eyes glued to the page to the details she talks about. Add to that the colorful nod to the
Emma
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute! I adore the artwork. Really nice story about a little girl exploring her neighborhood and all of its changes (including some gentrification) with her dad on his motorcycle.
Ms. B
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Karina
2020 Pura Belpré award winner? A love letter from a little girl to her Papi and city. Based on the author's life and hometown; Corona, California.
Mariana Calderon
Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña: Our new instructors on what it means to look at a place with love.

From her perch on the back of papi's motorcycle, and in language reminiscent of a lazy summer dream, Daisy Ramona takes us on a tour of her city. Tortilleria, stray cats, the market where she gets gummy bears, a raspado place that just closed, her abuelitos' place, her papi's construction site - all are equally important in her eyes, and all equally loved.

The images and words combine to create a
Rachel
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña's "My Papi has a Motorcycle," is a picture book about Daisy's relationship with her father. Everyday, Daisy's father comes home from his construction job, she runs outside with their helmets, and he takes her for a ride on his motorcycle. On their ride, readers learn about Daisy's neighborhood, languages (Spanish and English), family, friends, and her love for her dad.

I loved this book as soon as I saw the cover - as a kid, my favorite days were spent on my dad's
Ms. Arca
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Family, community, holding onto those precious small moments that make up our sorta big lives. I grew up so excited to be on the back of my dads motorcycle, too.. the description of how it feels was so relevant to me! And he similarly showed me the layers and beauty of our home (also a gentrifying neighborhood like in this book), and what mattered.. and who mattered. This one struck a chord. Loved it. ...more
David Jr.
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Books and stories like these are going to play an important role in my son's life. Children need to see people who represent them in tv, books, and movies. I also feel that my son needs to know where he or his dad came from. He will be able to read my stories but others' will help too.
Michael Perez
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joins the list of amazing picture books that travel around a town, like Last Stop on Market Street and All the Way to Havana. Could easily be a wordless story. Great sense of motion and movement.
Lynn
The life and times of a young girl in Corona California riding in the back of her Papis motorcycle as they ride through town. She introduces members of the community and their lives. A very nice picture book about Latino life in America. ...more
Christina Carter
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time spent with dad is a treasure and My Papi Has a Motorcycle made this evident in both word and picture. From the excited anticipation of a little girl as her dad's truck pulls into the yard, to their embrace, and the thrill of cruising through the neighborhood on the back of his bike together; their bond is everything. Daisy and her papi take in the sights and sounds of a community that is filled with heart, pride, and history, and even though things around them are changing, their ...more
Stephanie Bange
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed from an f&g. There are a few minor changes in the illustrations on the finished book.

The perfect window to peek into a ritual between a Latino father and his daughter.

Daisy has been patiently waiting for her father to return home from his job in construction. She knows they will hop on his motorcycle for a ride on a big loop of their town -- by her abuela's church and the tortilleria, by the market and murals in town, by her abuela's house and the dogs behind the fences, by the
Mary Lee
A fun tour of an urban Hispanic neighborhood, as seen from the back of Papi's motorcycle.
Elizabeth
I have been dying to read My Papi Has a Motorcycle since I first heard about it (especially since I enjoyed Quintero and Pena's graphic biography Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide), and it was definitely worth the wait. The words and the pictures are both beautiful and work together so well. The language isn't poetry but is intensely poetic, and we get to experience day-to-day life, change in the world around us, and connection with home as a part of one story. It tugged at ...more
Emily
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Papi has a Motorcycle is a great book with wonderful images that allow the reader to feel a part of the story. I really liked the description about how riding Papi's motorcycle through town in the setting sun is like being a comet. "The shiny blue metal of the motorcycle glows in the sun. The sun, the sun, the bright orange sun is on its way down, turning our sky blue and purple and gold. We become a spectacular celestial thing soaring on asphalt. A comet. The sawdust falling from Papi's hair ...more
Joan
edh
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book to sit and share with a young reader. Papi takes his daughter Daisy for a spin on his motorcycle, and she narrates the powerful bond she feels both with her father and with her city. Things around her are changing, but Daisy expresses her love for her hometown in a way that makes it come alive for her readers. A touching look at Corona, CA, and a father-daughter relationship made special through time spent together.
Effie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's a beautifully written love letter to the little girl's community and her father. The illustrations also evoke such a warm and loving feeling through the use of pink sunset colors, the welcoming, smiling faces of the community members (including the dogs!). It's a real feel-good read.
Beverly
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-vehicles
This warm, sweet family story celebrates a father-daughter daily outing on his motorcycle, driving around their California town. The watercolor cartoons are presented on several double-page spreads, with some in smaller panels. They depict a father and daughter having a joyous time on their ride, passing all the places in town that they love.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Daisy heads off on the back of a motorcycle with her Papi. It's a ride that takes Daisy through the wonders of her community, the markets, the murals, the houses, their friends and neighbors and family. You can feel the love Daisy and her Papi have for their community, as they briefly stop to chat and visit.

It's a delightful book.
Deborah
May 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Quintero and Pena zoom around a neighborhood with a loving father and daughter, answering with affectionate specificity the important questions asked in the author's note: "Who are the people who build our cities and form our communities? Who are the people who get streets named after them, and who are the people who lay the asphalt?"
Bridget
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this so much I went out and bought it, and I only buy a picture book to keep maybe once every five years. It is SO amazingly beautiful with a wonderful story; 10/10 would recommend to all ages.
Jesse
I just really like this one, even though I struggle to put into words why. I get all the warm fuzzies, but I think my favorite part of the story are the illustrations. Now that I know this pair did Photographic together Ill be seeking it out. ...more
Aliza Werner
This Penguin imprint Kokila is perfection every time. Love love love this story.
DaNae
A lovely slice-of-life tribute to a father and a town. The depiction was to tactile both in text and illustration that I feel I've been there.
Cassie Thomas
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read. What a genuine story that as a teacher opens up conversations as well as provides such a great mentor text.
David
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A beautiful, moving story of relationships and the meaning of home, of comunidad. Incredibly illustrated.
Leah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Warm, lyrical prose with vibrant cartoon-style illustrations. Author's notes contextualize the story and setting.
Marissa Elera
The place and the characters just jumps off the page and breathe. Stunning. My heart. I wish this book had been around when I was a little girl.

• Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Camp Tiger
Isabel Quintero is a writer, poet, teacher, wife, friend, sister, daughter, granddaughter, aunt niece, and a bunch of other things. She lives in the Inland Empire, where she was born and raised by Mexican immigrant parents and Mexican immigrant granddparents; the hospital where she was born in was converted to a Lowe's hardware store. That's how long ago she was born.

She learned to love reading