Start by marking “Bright Star” as Want to Read:
Bright Star

Bright Star

Erin Swan's YA fantasy debut, Bright Star, is an action-packed adventure tale of rebellion, romance, and finding one's voice in the heart of a storm.

Paerolia has been at peace for two centuries, and all is well in the land—or so it seems. Beneath the surface, a tyrant is rising to power.

A traumatic experience in Andra's childhood has left her mute and subdued, a servant i
Expected publication: August 13th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Bright Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Star

Rose
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Y’all wanted a review? Alright.

1.5 stars. NO SPOILERS.

I didn’t like this book. I felt like I was reading six or seven already published YA novels all crammed into one. It was almost like the author had plucked parts they liked from already popular series’ and tried to meld them together to make a completely different concept and it just didn’t work for me.

There were a few times when I was unsure if I had missed something important because it seemed like the reader was already supposed to know th
Marina
May 22, 2019 marked it as will-not-read-finish
Erin, saying you cyber-stalked a reviewer over a negative review is not a good look and not something you should admit to on a public platform. Even if you did something as simple as look up their social media accounts. As an author you should know how much words matter, and using the word "stalked" in an off-hand manner still rings a lot of alarm bells. There have been multiple instances of authors stalking and even hurting reviewers, so it's not something we take lightly or something to joke a ...more
Cynthia
May 22, 2019 marked it as never-fucking-ever
Author cyber stalking negative reviewers? That’s a no from me, Jim.

Edit: On top of that, a bunch of 5 star reviews from brand new accounts, all on the same day the author shit the bed? Sounds suspect.
Cindy McWilliams
Author admits to cyberstalking a reader who gave the book a low rating. Yikes.

*Edit* Y’all, I know she didn’t physically stalk this reviewer. But it is tasteless, tone deaf, and just plain ignorant to joke about ‘stalking’ a reviewer. Even looking up their social media is gross, especially if you only care because they left a poor review. This author behaved badly, doubled down when told it wasn’t a good look, and the people coming to her defense just make her look worse.
Fae Crate
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything it promised to be! The character development and world building was beautiful and I was incredibly happy about the personalities that the dragons in this book were given. It is hard to find a new way to do dragon fantasies with so many out but Swan figures it out. Very happy with this book. Easily one of my top faves of 2019.
Jackie Martuscelli
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book years ago on Inkitt and fell in love with the story. Its got my favorite things-dragons, magic, bit of romance, and strong characters. I was lucky enough to recieve an ARC last year and it is a prized possession, not gonna lie.
The reading itself is easy, everything flows really well together. The development of the characters isn't rushed but isn't too slow either. The details are great and its definetly a book that I think many will come to enjoy.
I cant wait to read mor
Kat
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Macmillan-Tor for the E-arc copy of this novel.
#BrightStar is a fast-paced, action packed novel from beginning to end. I enjoyed the main character, Andra, she is strong lead in this story. Her combined with all the world building details make this a must read for young adult fantasy lovers. It does have some romance, but it entwines into the story seamlessly. It doesn't feel force as an extra into the story.
Suzanne
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the poetic story telling, the world building, the characters, and was so pleased to receive an ARC. This is an action-packed fantasy tale with a strong heroine lead. Add dragons and magic to that and it just keeps getting better!
Kat
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* Thank you to Raincoast Books for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.5 stars

After an assassination at the manor where Andra is serves, she is thrust into a growing rebellion plot to overthrow the corrupt government who run the land of Paerolia. As she begins to find herself, and her voice, among these rebels, she also learns of a great power within her, that could be the key to a ensuring peace in Paerolia once again.

I absolutely loved this story - the bold fantasy re
Hannah
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advance reading copy of this book. Bright Star has everything for the dragon rider at heart. It's is the greatest dragon bonding story since Pern and Eragon. With romance, adventure, incredible character development, a magic system and epic battles there is something for everybody. Definitely recommend.
Katie Devey
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bright Star was one of the most exciting books I have picked up in a few years. The writer kept bringing me back for more, to the point I could put the book down for many hours longer than I swore to read for. The characters, the action, the romance... it was all fantastic. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
Amy Guerra
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down! I fell in love with the characters, celebrated and grieved with them. Such an amazing storyline. So so good! I’m hoping there’s more to come.
Randall Collins
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be prepared to root for a young heroine like no other underdog!
Rosemary
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read.
Katie
May 23, 2019 marked it as dnf-or-will-not-read
I cannot review a book if the author will consider the review a personal letter to the author.
I cannot review a book if I know the author feels entitled not only to read reviews but to then look up reviewers who left ratings she wasn't satisfied with.
I cannot review a book if the author engages in unacceptable behavior online then responds to being called out by selectively deleting incriminating tweets and refusing to issue a public-facing apology.
As a book blogger, I have a zero-tolerance poli
Zoe
May 23, 2019 added it
Cyberstalking a reviewer for giving you a negative review is NEVER okay

(Disclaimer: the blog the link takes you to is not mine)
Jaime
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to say I saw the comment on Twitter that some people here are taking out of proportion, enough already. Grow up, we are here about this incredible book. The author does not cyber stock reviewers and I am certain does not create extra profiles, as these sites watch things like this to make sure their website has integrity! Grow up, and the rules here are to comment on the book, so read the book and be honest about the book. It is not ok to attack people like this that have put so mu ...more
Kylie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC.

I consider myself extremely lucky to get the opportunity to read and review this gem of a first novel.

With well written characters and detailed world building plus a strong storyline this novel was reminiscent of Eragon by Christopher Paolini; as an inferior force must gain support to fight against a despotic ruler.

Full of adventure, some heartbreak, loyal friends and dragons of whom you wish you were the rider!
Amanda Bell