Start by marking “Young Water Protectors: A Story About Standing Rock” as Want to Read:
Young Water Protectors: A Story About Standing Rock

Young Water Protectors: A Story About Standing Rock

At the not-so-tender age of 8, Aslan arrived in North Dakota to help stop a pipeline. A few months later he returned - and saw the whole world watching. Read about his inspiring experiences in the Oceti Sakowin Camp at Standing Rock. Learn about what exactly happened there, and why. Be inspired by Aslan’s story of the daily life of Standing Rock’s young water protectors. M ...more
Published August 8th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Young Water Protectors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Water Protectors

Rebecca
Self-published book written by a young Native boy, Aslan, and his mother, about his experiences staying at the Standing Rock camps as a young water protector. This gives a good background about the theft of the land and the damage done by oil pipelines. I noticed a couple spelling mistakes and grainy images, but I haven't seen any other kids' books about this topic, much less an Own Voices book like this. See more books at https://www.eaglespeaker.com/.

"It was the largest Native gathering in hi
Jillian Heise
Written by a 10 year old boy from the Lipan Apache Tribe of Texas about his experience visiting the Standing Rock Sioux camps protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline.
Kirsten
I gave this three stars not because it is mediocre, but as a picture book for children, it has some flaws. The story of the book and the idea for it are very good. An eight year old Native boy who was at Standing Rock decided to write about it from his point of view for children. His mother was also involved in the project, but I think clearly it is his. It is easy to read and understand, the design is good, and it's attractive and well put together for a paperback. However, not all of the pictu ...more
M. Cruz
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The combination of the photos and the words from the young activist make this a perfect book to share with children learning about Standing Rock, activism or the environment. Belongs in every elementary classroom library.
S Tomasz
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive

I’m so glad Aslan felt strongly enough that he added his voice to history. Very good job! We need to hear more of our children’s voices. Theirs isn’t clouded with rhetoric or sound bites. They tell it like it is.
Jennybeast
The narrative wanders a bit, but the fact that this book exists at all is outstanding -- written by a 10 year old member of the Lipan Apache tribe, who traveled to Standing Rock when he was 8 and documented his time there. Lots of photos, excellent kid-centered viewpoint on a complicated subject.
Lorie Barber
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant true life picture book written by a 10-year-old Native and water advocate. I loved this book and so did my kids.
Bean
Mar 10, 2019
Don
Oct 15, 2018
Tibby (she/her)
I picked up a copy of this book to read on Indigenous People’s Day with my own daughter, but felt it warranted a review here. When I was working in my last library I spent a lot of time combing through the collection that featured nonfiction titles on Native Nations. I weeded old, racist, and inaccurate titles and added a lot of titles that came recommended by Native/Indigenous scholars and librarians or were written by Native/Indigenous authors. This was a particularly important project to me b ...more
Jillian