Start by marking “Food For Thought” as Want to Read:
Food For Thought

Food For Thought

The five concepts every child must learn -- shapes, colors, numbers, ABCs, and opposites -- all in one outrageous book of vivacious veggies and fruits.

The authors of HOW ARE YOU PEELING? serve up a cornucopia of concepts in this big book for brilliant babies. Shapes: Is that a carrot, or a triangle? Colors: Watch for peppers in every range of the rainbow. Numbers: A
Published February 1st 2005 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Food For Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food For Thought

Start your review of Food For Thought
Linda
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept
Colorful and playful and very creative. Children will enjoy learning their ABCs and 123s looking at the characters and animals made from fruits and vegetables. Parents will enjoy the wit of the authors and illustrators. I laughed out loud at the X-Ray page. How can you not smile when an orange is grinning at you?

From SLJ:
"Smiling oranges, mushroom "men," pepper "people," bananas that look like giraffes, eggplant penguins, and cauliflower sheep are just a few of the delightful food sculptures
Kaethe Douglas
April 3, 2010
The youngest checked this out and I read it aloud last night. Not because the text was too challenging, but to give us all the opportunity to talk about how freaking cool the pictures are, and how they were made, and how much fun it'd be to make food sculptures like this.

Library copy
Lindsay Leighton
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Food for Thought is an excellent picture book which demonstrates the basic concepts of shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites to the youngest of children. Through illustrations made of character-like fruits and vegetables, the author successfully was able to bring these simple ideas to life. This picture book is funny, creative, and very educational for students that are trying to grasp these concepts that they will begin to use in their day-to-day lives. On top of being academical ...more
Brianna Stewart
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copyright- 2005 By Play With Your Food, LLC
Number of Pages- 61
Book Format- Hard Copy
Ready Level-PreK
Genre- Fiction
Lit requirement- Concept book 2

Summary- The book talks about the different types of concepts such as numbers, shouting and talking softly.
Response- This book is good book for younger children because it talks about the concepts children are learning as the get older.
Back
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Cute and creative! Certainly baby to toddler appropriate. Made us laugh with their imaginative ways to display foods!
Mely
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
this is a great book! Colorful and educational. Has different themes. Numbers, letters, opposites, shapes. definitely recommended to supplement toddler learning. such a unique book.
Kelsey Farmer
Copyright-2005
Number of pages- 64 pages
Book format- Hardcover
Reading Level-Preschool-2nd grade
Genre-
Lit requirement- Counting
Summary-
This book uses all different fruits and vegetables to create an object that relays either a specific letter in the alphabet, color, shape, number, etc. They do so by creating animals or objects that have those concepts within them and then correlating them to the object and concept at hand.
Response-
I thought this was a very inclusive book that allowed for several
Emily
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This colorful and engaging book covers five basic topics for children (shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites) using fruits and vegetables to provide the visuals. Creativity just oozes off every page! I especially love the “Opposites” section. Whether it's mushroom people balancing on a broccoli and rhubarb teeter-totter to illustrate “up” vs. “down” or a huge melon cat staring down at a little radish dog, the images were intriguing, original, and humorous. Mr Freymann is particularly ...more
Claudia
Apr 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-bk-concept
(SLP) Uses bright photographs of fruit and vegetables shaped like animals and simple labels to teach toddlers shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites.

(Claudia) The standard simple format works fine for the concepts, while the creatures – amazingly constructed of fruits, vegetables, and beans … are comically engaging and invite another layer of inquiry: what ARE those fruits and vegetables?! Toddler-PreS

(SLJ) “The concepts are well executed, and … [c]hildren will thoroughly enjoy the
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites are represented by colorful fruits and vegetables in creative designs. Each concept is illustrated by an anthropomorphic food and the concept word is written out-- such as an artichoke in the shape of a bird representing "1 one bird". The alphabet, numbers, and colors sections are clearly done and extremely helpful in introducing these basic concepts. The shapes section is a little confusing-- the cut carrot representing a triangle actually looks ...more
Alicia
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is such a great book, like the others by this author. I love looking at the pictures and I also like that this book has alphabet, colors and counting. Some of the shapes take a real eye to see, but other than that is is great.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Cute big book that children can flip through -- the "basic concepts" things sorta just gives it ideas. I don't know that kids are necessarily going to learn anything. But they do like looking at the food animals a lot!
Lori
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book that one of the librarians at Brown Mackie College recommended to me. It's a concept book for kids. I brought it to my foodie lit class and my classmates and professor enjoyed it.
Ashleigh
Incredibly creative! You will never look at veggies the same again. I wouldn't use this as a traditional read aloud, but it would be a great book to use in a whole group discussion.

Includes: shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites.
Rachel
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book covered concepts, namely: shapes, color, numbers, letters, opposites. I love all the fruits and veggies with faces and expressions, esp the ones involving artichokes, cauliflower sheep, and "Shout" with the screaming orange and the kumquats. Recommended for ages 3-6.
Barbara
Ok, this has to be the ultimate concept book! I love the food art books, but this is a step way up in complexity for this author, covering shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites. I love the sheep... and everything!
CFAITC
Sep 27, 2013 added it
Shelves: primary
Shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites are introduced using whimsical sculptures made out of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Liam
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a SUPER EASY read!
Amanda Hartley
This book is very educational, and it presents shapes, colors, letters, and opposites in a fun way for children to explore and learn
Lindsey Black
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
We got this from the library and I'm thinking of buying it. Connor LOVED the different shapes and colors, as well as the cute faces on all the fruit. Perfect for a toddler/preschooler.
K
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I wish they had ditched the shapes section, since the shapes are very difficult to see for a toddler. However, I loved looking at the illustrations with my daughter.
Kate
The chapter on shapes was kind of awkward, but everything else was great.
Luisa
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We really love reading this book. We got it from a book sale in a parking lot. Best find!
We've had to tape it over and over.
babyhippoface
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Anthropomorphized fruits and veggies to represent shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites. I'm always amazed at the way these guys' minds work. (Not to mention their carving knives.)
Jake
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
want to make all the guys
Stacy
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so clever!
Kara
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great pics! Very simple book but the pictures made it well worth the read!
Emily
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute...and disturbing. Very, very disturbing.
Chelsea
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My son could not get enough of this book. But since it was from the library, we had to return it. Cute pics and a fun idea. Check this one out!
Dave
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Yeah this is the best picture book of all time. It's like being shrunk to ant size and having someone build a zoo out of your refrigerator.

• Hap-Pea All Year
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Hi-Five Animals! (A Never Bored Book!)
  • Not a Box
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • The Luminaries
  • The Bees
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • Can Cat and Bird Be Friends?
  • Brave Molly: (Empowering Books for Kids, Overcoming Fear Kids Books, Bravery Books for Kids)
  • This Beach Is Loud!
  • Hair Love
  • Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!
  • Nope. Never. Not for Me!
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Mr. Ball Makes a To-Do List
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!