Start by marking “The Good House” as Want to Read:
The Good House

The Good House

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  2,473 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
The home that belonged to Angela Toussaint's late grandmother is so beloved that townspeople in Sacajawea, Washington, call it the Good House. But that all changes one summer when an unexpected tragedy takes place behind its closed doors...and the Toussaint's family history -- and future -- is dramatically transformed. Angela has not returned to the Good House since her so ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 25th 2003)

Kaora
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
The blurb for this one sounded so interesting, and the line at the library for this book was so long that I thought it would definitely be the spooky ghost story I had been looking for.

Unfortunately it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Angela Toussaint is returning to the house of a terrible tragedy at her fourth of July party many years ago where her son Corey dies. The house has been deemed The Good House, partially because of its original owners, the Goodes and the fact that it was the only
Jessica Woodbury
Why isn't this a huge bestseller? As good as any popular horror novel, The Good House has great characters, twisty plot, very high creepy factor, great mythology, and stellar writing. I've seen people recommend this book for fans of Stephen King, and I'd agree. I'd also say it's great for people who don't particularly care for King, but who dabble in horror.

This isn't light or breezy, it's very dark, but I absolutely loved it.
Book Riot Community
I like to read horror during October, and I’ve been meaning to catch up with Due since I read her stellar story collection Ghost Summer in 2015. I’m sad I waited so long! The Good House is simply one of the best horror novels I’ve ever read. It’s thick and complex enough to satisfy fans of big, fat horror writers like Stephen King. There’s a unique and well-built mythology around the supernatural happenings in the book that won’t leave you rolling your eyes at the end. And the characters are ric ...more
Tracy Darity
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tananarive Due is one of my favorite writers. I fell in love with her “Living Blood” series over ten years ago, and on occasion (as with this title) have strayed to some of her other works. The Good House is classified as “horror, and a terrifying story of supernatural suspense.” There wasn’t much horror in this book, so let’s go with supernatural suspense.

In a league of her own, I don’t believe Ms. Due could write a book that I would not enjoy. She is simply gifted at what she does. Her knack
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Again a book that I rate on a subjective (I just didn't like it) scale. I mentioned in a couple of other reviews that I'm faced with the need to "thin out" my book shelves as I've moved to a much smaller place. (My wife passed away and I just didn't need the large place, the landlady wanted to sell it and so, so here i am.) I sold and traded a lot of books when I moved, but since I didn't have room for nearly all my book shelves here the ones I have are all double loaded or at least as tightly l ...more
Joe
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd been craving some good horror recently and not that sci-fi, thriller wanna-be horror, but good traditional horror of the things that go bump in the night variety. I was perusing Audible, naturally looking for the longest books in stock to make my credits worth it, and I came across an author who was said to be the equal of Stephen King. Well, that clinched it for me.

If the summary had mentioned someone like Dean Koontz I would have kept perusing. If they had mentioned someone like Richard La
Essi | morrisongrl
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I loved this book! It wasn't a quick read,but there wasn't a boring moment. I don't know why this book isn't more popular,why I've never seen it on bookstagram. It deserves more hype! It really is a seriously good story.
I knew nothing about this before starting it,and it surprised me in such a good way. The story is so beautifully written and it really shows that the author did lots of research. There was so much history,culture and mythology. It was really interesting and I found myself readin
Michael Jensen
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd actually give this four and a half stars for falling into my least favorite horror trope: a character refuses to acknowledge something supernatural is happening even though THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE EXPLANATION. But Due is such a strong writer and creates vivid characters with unique settings and wonderfully storytelling that I have to round up to five stars.
Mocha Girl
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tananarive Due gets better and better with each release! Her latest novel, The Good House, examines the consequences of misusing magic and the power of heritage and family.
The story is set in the remote town of Sacajawea, Washington where in the early 1900's, Marie Touissant relocates from Louisiana guided by her inner voice to a place that can be described in modern terms as the "epicenter of the sprit world". Marie is a trained, experienced, favored vodou priestess and often uses her powers to
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The Good House was a damn good book. Tananarive Due delivers a story that will make you have every single feel she can drudge up in you. From hope to horror, from tearing down to buildling up, and everything in between. This is a book that will have you going “Oh, Jesus,” and yet unable to look away. The deaths will haunt you. Angela’s journey will rock you.

I’m not a fan of child death in horror. Pretty much anyone who knows me and has listened to me talk about horror knows that. I consider it t
Alysia
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I purchased this book awhile ago solely based on the author who I love and the price. It was on sale for $9.00. But it sat on my bookshelf a long while. Maybe a year? Well that is not the important part of this review. I started reading this mega paperback book (496 pages) and I could not move very fast. *whisper* It was my fear of big books. (Something about them seem so daunting and I just stop.) So this time I purchased the audiobook from Audible.com to help me out.
Now on to the review....
I
Cathy
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from The Good House, but ended up really enjoying it. The mix of haunted-house themes, Vodou ritual and lore, and interesting characters kept it interesting, and for a longish novel it chugs right along at a frantic pace. Due can write, too. I read this back-to-back with Ghost Story, and she measures up nicely with Peter Straub.

In the beginning, especially, she assumes a bit too much of a chick-lit tone for my tastes, with the protagonist dishing with her actress pal
Rebecka
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely a page-turner. The audiobook narrator is one of the best I've heard so far, which certainly helps. My only complaint would be the ending.
Lis Carey
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, f-sf, fiction
The first thing you need to know is that I don't read horror. I don't read anything really dark. I just don't.

Except sometimes I do. Usually because someone said, oh, this is good, and I didn't ask enough questions. A bunch of people said this was good.

They were right.

It's very, very good.

It's also every bit as dark as you'd expect from something entitled The Good House, and maybe a bit darker than that. Lots of really bad stuff happens. And I kept listening to the audiobook, all the way to the
Wendy
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This is more suspense than horror, despite the predominant categorization, though personally speaking, I didn't get overly spine-tingly over the tense moments, despite my very visual mind letting me picture everything.

This is my first book by Due, and I am going to say that I love her writing style. I particularly love hearing a voice and dialects that aren't your typical American or British fare. Listening to the audiobook certainly helps and let me tell you, Robin Miles is amazing. Another add
Tim Childree
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, incredible, incredible book. If you appreciate horror at all, you must read it. The "possessions" in the novel felt real in a way that no possession story you've ever seen or read can. Far too many authors/writers try to force possession to be scary with bizarre acrobatics and contortions or inhuman, supernatural feats, and they end up creating scenes that are, at second or third glance at least, more funny than fearful. By keeping the actions of those possessed thoroughly within the ...more
Angelique Simonsen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
couldn't get into it...only read first 2 chapters
Bryan Cebulski

Middle-class, ordinary-people horror fiction is an intriguing breed. You know those horror novels that seem more concerned with the day-to-day lives of their protagonists, sidestepping it with scares only on occasion? That is what I'm talking about here.

Molded into its shape by a million Stephen King novels, this type of horror seems almost more slice-of-life than actual fright fest. King's own It is oftentimes more a chronicle of small time living than i
Renee
Angela Toussaint's Fourth of July party began well enough, but no one would remember that because of the way it would end. That's what everyone would talk about later. The way it ended.

Why isn't Tananarive Due a superstar in the horror genre?! She should be way more popular than she is - she is a master of her craft. I absolutely loved Due's My Soul to Keep (book 1 of her African Immortal series), and The Good House is just as amazing. Her stories are sweeping and full of depth, with interesting
Miss Michael
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Miss Michael by: Softweargirl
Lou
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
She's a creative writer this story is quite long but holds up in interest. This is good tight suspense. You are taken from present to the past as a mother tries to find why her son died. Ancestral secrets are discovered and need to be understood. A story comprising voodoo magic and evil spirits. Something goes wrong as a little knowledge can be dangerous! a few excerpts from the story can sum up what's at work.

"The closer you come to harming the baka, the more it will try to interfere with your
Zen Cho
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, by-poc
Pretty good. Prose functional rather than pretty, but it wasn't clumsy either, which I appreciated. Liked that the main character was a woman over forty -- this feels rare, but that may just be because I read the wrong sort of books.
TJ
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK - this book officially had me a little scared. And not because it was gory and bloody, but because it had some seriously creepy vibes. The author managed to write this story beautifully, keeping me in just the right amount of suspense, not giving much away at first, and then a little at a time.
Lacey
What did you call a miracle in reverse?

Three stars. Minus one star for the ending and another for Myles' entire character.

This was creepy and just what I was looking for as we head into the fall and Halloween. The lore and the characters are richly developed, and there is a sense of dread that hangs over everything that makes for some great, terrible scenes. My only critiques are:

Myles. Myles was completely unnecessary and quite annoying. I cringed every time Angela interacted with him or had t
Linda Howard
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Beautiful By Design (BBD) Book Club selected the genre, Supernatural for this month’s read. After the first chapter, BBD found Good House to be a page turner to the very end with countless with surprises and twists and several OMGs. The author’s dramatic use of descriptive language allowed us to visualize each turn of events as if it were a movie unfolding. We agreed unanimously this would definitely be an excellent book for the big screen. Four stars were given because some parts of the boo ...more
Whitney
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m so used to reading horror short stories. It’s been a while since I read a slow burn like this one. It’s certainly one of the more literary horror novels I’ve read. If you like reading stories about magic, past demons and (duh) haunted houses, this one is for you.

Also, all the main characters are Black. I wish it weren’t notable, but genre fiction, sadly, tends to be awfully White. It’s refreshing to read a story told from another perspective.
4.5 stars. This is a fantastic horror novel, and felt very fast and page-turnery even though it was nearly 500 pages. I really liked the main character, Angela, and was engrossed in her story, as well as Corey's and Gramma Marie's. I agree with other reviewers that fans of Stephen King would enjoy this--it had a similar feel to his books in a lot of ways. Overall I really loved the book, but took off half a star because I still can't decide if I liked the ending.
Debbie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was about twice as long as it should have been. I really liked the story idea and was excited to read it but it fell short of what I think it could have been. It held my interest so I gave it 3 stars.
Fleece
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SUCH EXCELLENT STUFF, I DONT CARE IF IT GIVES ME FIFTY HEART ATTACKS ANYMORE
David Neff
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though it takes place in the Pacific North West, the GH reads like a Michael McDowell novel i.e. a Southern Gothic.
Supernatural Frea...: April End of the Month Discussion 1 3 May 03, 2015 11:23AM
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • The Ancestors
  • Voodoo Season
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • What You Owe Me
  • Invisible Touch
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
  • Dark Thirst
  • Five Mile House
  • The Dwelling
  • Ghost, Interrupted
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Acolytes
  • Ravenous
  • The New Moon's Arms
  • The Warmest December
  • Mind of My Mind (Patternmaster, #2)
Tananarive Due is a novelist and a creative writing teacher who has worked as a journalist. She won the American Book Award in 2002 for her novel The Living Blood.