Start by marking “The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)

The Mate

(Fire's Edge #0.5)

Maddie Thompson’s life just fell down a rabbit hole. Finding out she's a dragon shifter was one thing — she never quite fit into the human world, and this new reality feels… strangely right. However, discovering the next step is to choose a mate, and if she chooses wrong she'll die, is the other side of crazy. Especially when she already left a piece of her heart with some ...more
Published September 17th 2018 by Entangled: Amara

To ask other readers questions about The Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mate

Start your review of The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)
Dianne
If a human female chooses a wrong mate, there is divorce, if a female dragon chooses wrong, there is a fiery death. Maddie has found out she is a dragon shifter, she bears “the mark” and has had the “symptoms.” Now she is told she must pick a mate, her fated mate, from a lineup of sizzlingly hot guys who just happen to be dragon shifters, oh and the dragon Mating Council is watching everything. No pressure, right?

Fallon Conleth, elite dragon enforcer has been summoned by the Mating Council as a
SassyFraz
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drags
probably would have been more stars, but it ended so abruptly. it was still a good short read. next~
Marta Cox
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I saw this authors full length book The Boss mentioned by a friend and when I investigated discovered this prequel was actually free on Amazon. I enjoy paranormal romance and note that well written, fast paced books in this genre seem to sadly be on the decrease . I get that authors write for their muse and for what sells so it's a joy to discover a new series that so far seems to tick all the right boxes.
Well this had me intrigued at dragons and then to just up the ante we get fire fighters too
Jewlsbookblog
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Dragons! I did feel like I was missing something while reading about Fallon and Maddie’s mating process-interesting results at that, however, I’m assuming more backstory will happen in book one.
Dominique
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Sherry Fundin
Fallon is called before The Mating Council. She has been found. Mating is a compulsion, a biological drive for dragon shifters. He’d only been drawn to one female and she was a human, forbidden tho him. Fallon is an enforcer, and always does the right thing, so matter what, he would do what the Council demanded.

Maddie showed no signs that she was a dragon shifter, when he knew her. It’s all new to her. The strong, independent, confident woman struggles to maintain her composure. She’d always bee
Sydney M Neblett
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No pressure

This was a fantastic read. The author set up this series perfectly with this brief glimpse into dragon culture and the upheaval in their social structure. I actually read this book as the second book instead of the prequel as it was intended, so I think I had a little jump on the understanding of the storyline. This book can be read as a stand-alone, but it has certainly launched me into wanting to read the next book all over again. I can’t wait to read where the author takes her drag
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I would have rated this higher if I didn’t feel like a lot of backstory was skipped. I feel like it’s book 2 and I haven’t read book 1. I want to read the next book to see if that works better for me.
Other than that, I love the idea and it’s definitely what I was in the mood for!

Full review to come...
Sonja
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
It figures that this prequel was free on Amazon the day after I started reading book one. Even so, I don't actually think this should necessarily be read first. In fact, I think it was better that I read it after. I didn't quite like it as much so it would have been hard to say how much I would have wanted to jump into the series. Plus it doesn't actually give us anything extra really to jump up and say "read me first!" I love when books overlap, so it was fun when this one did with The Boss whe ...more
Literati Literature Lovers
No Character Development

I would characterize this book as paranormal light. There was minimal world building. There was truly no character development as the two main H/h love interest had already met prior to the books start. It was a quick shifter read, that isn’t memorable.
Luna Joya
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great introduction to Owen's dragon shifter world. You can jump into the series and enjoy all the world building without an information overload set in the background of a second chance romance in a supercharged version of the Bachelorette where one dragon mate picks from her five possible suitors--with death on the line if she makes the wrong decision.

Highly recommend!
Debrac2014
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Short prequel to The Boss! I enjoyed meeting Fallon and Maddie!
Leash
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 🌟 short but sweet. 3.5 due to the length.
Aly
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm more picky about the paranormal romance I like these days and while I enjoyed the different characters that were introduced and especially the dynamic between the guys, I never really connected with Maddie and Fallon. And I must admit that some details about how the mating works for these dragons made me cringe.
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
Imagine finding out dragons exist. And that you are someone who could be a mate to one of them – you would become a dragon yourself and extend your lifespan! But if you choose wrong you die. An agonizing, horrible, painful death. Not to mention what happens to the dragon you mistakenly chose as well your true mate, the dragon you should have chosen. But hey, no pressure!

All you have to do is choose “the one” from a group of dragons the Mating Council presents to you. Dragons chosen by them who c
Amelia
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With a fascination for anything that deals with dragons, I was very excited to see THE MATE is about not only these mystical creatures but that the hero was a firefighter. The world imagined by Abigail Owen for her extraordinary beings is truly remarkable, as details are exceedingly inventive while the characters are also very unique. I was thoroughly entertained at all times because of how fully my thoughts were engaged by every riveting situation.

When firefighter Fallon Conleth learns he coul
Teresa
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You've got to love the dragons

The Mate by Abigail Owen is the second book of her Fire Dragon's series. I've read both of them now and this can be read as a standalone or in order. The Boss will give you a snippet of the conversation between Finn and Fallon throughout this book though..

Madeline Thompson has just discovered that she has the sign of the Blue Dragon mate bond and has been summoned to the council to meet a possible mate. But Cole who befriended her during the arson investigation they
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished The Boss a few days ago and was eager to read more about these dragon shifters. A quick look on Abigail's website and I discovered that there was a prequel available and what's more, it was free. I quickly downloaded and then, because I couldn't resist it, I had to give it a read.
This is a shorter and quicker story than that of big brother Finn and The Boss. But then, this is a prequel novella, so it's to be expected. Fortunately, despite being a quick read, this is still a little bo
Tracey
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had already read book one in the series, which I thoroughly enjoyed so diving into the prequel was easy for me to do.

Fallon has been summoned to the dragon headquarters to be a possible mate, little does he know its the woman he left a while ago to protect her from a difficult discovery. Maddy is a feisty woman suddenly thrust into an alien world to her and now she has to choose a mate. Choose wrong and shell die a burst of flames...

This was an enjoyable read, I liked Fallon and Maddy and thei
Betty Lambert
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. This is really a prequel to the first book of a new paranormal romance, The Boss which is due to come out soon. Maddie Thompson's life just went down the rabbit hole when she finds out she is a dragon shifter, but thought she was human but just didn't fit in somehow. They tell her she now has to choose a mate but if she chooses wrong, she could die. Quite the conumdrum. Fallon Conleth was a bit shocked when the Mating Council summoned him as a potential mate. Fallon is ...more
Patty
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fallon Conleth is nervous.  After all that his brother went through during the mating ritual, he is scared the same could happen to him.  He doesn't even want a mate, but when a potential human showed the sign of his dragon clan, he was chosen.  So here he is taking part in the ritual.  Maybe it will go quickly and he can get back to the states with his brothers.  What Fallon realized when he walked into that room and laid eyes on the human woman who bore the mark, was this is not going to be a ...more
Pansy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
If you like dragon's, you really don't want to miss this! It is a new take on the wonderful world of dragon's. Well a peak, anyway, into this author's version of their mating rituals. OMG! What a hassle! But it is a fun introduction this new series - Fire's Edge. It does a good job of giving some introduction to the world and introducing characters, as well of giving us a fun romance. An entertaining bed-time story. Give it a look! It is free! What can you loose!
Linda Levine
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the story

This is a well written story that has lots of action and romance. You jump right into the story and it keeps going at a fast pace.

She has a difficult choice to make and a short time limit. She has to decide if she can trust her heart to keep her alive. I thought they made a great couple and had fabulous chemistry.
Linda  Johnston
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Maddie Thompson is having a hard time since she left part of her heart with the man she was crazy about when he stopped talking to her. Dragon enforcer Fallon Conleth was shocked when Mating Counciil called him to see if he is a mate for the newly found dragon. Hardware rate and precious and many never find the one. Fallon walks in a realized that Maddie was his and he broke her heart not knowing that she dragon and she left town. Now she shows up with another blue dragon that brought her to the ...more
Dena
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow

This was so cool. I liked the different points of view. The different guys and the politics going around was so intriguing. I hope I get to read the other's stories. I'm very much intrigued
Diane Burton
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I don't read dragon-shifter stories. This book changed my mind. Intense and emotional. Can't wait to read the next book (1st full-length novel in this series).
SheLove2Read
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, shifters
I love me some Dragon shifters! This was a really satisfying read. Fallon is alpha but not an ass. Maddie was (thank the gods) not stubborn or stupid. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
Free dragon shape shifter romance!
Kimberly C. Winslow
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it!

Short and sweet! Unique storyline with characters I liked. Recommend for something different. If you like shifter stories you will enjoy this.
Julie Rice
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the prequel to the series. I loved it. Of course I wished it was longer. It’s a VERY quick read and I suggest reading it because it helps give insight and background to the mate process and will help you understand the reasons why Finn (in the first book) has such reservations and responds the way he does to Delaney. This is a new series. I’m quite picky about my reading and I’m REALLY loving this one so far. Definitely a put on your priority to read list.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dawn of Legend (Dragon Dusk #1)
  • Wild (Devils Point Wolves, #1)
  • Bear-ly Pregnant (Bear-ly, #4)
  • Southwest Shifters: Sizzling Paranormal Romance with Werewolves, Witches, Alpha Heroes, and a Hint of Magic
  • Breakwater: Leo (Star Bears, #1)
  • Garden of the Wolf #1
  • Thrill of the Chase (City Shifters: the Pride, #1)
  • Shift of Fate (Wolfguard Protectors, #1)
  • Fated For The Bear (Banford and Beauty Bears, #1)
  • Emily's Story (Fang Chronicles, #2)
  • Kissed by Fire (Dragonkeepers, #1)
  • Fire of the Wolf (The Gray Pack Book 1)
  • Wild Lilies (NOLA Shifters, #1)
  • Jungle Heat (Shifting Desires #1)
  • Running Bear
  • Wolf Admirer (Paranormal Shadows Book 2)
  • My Dragon Lord (Broken Souls #1)
  • Pack Run (Highlander Wolf, #1)
Do you love plots that move hot and fast, feisty heroines with sass, heroes with heart, a dash of snark, and oodles of HEAs? You do?!?! Welcome!

Abigail Owen is a multi-award-winning author of paranormal romance and upper YA/new adult fantasy romance. Other favorite titles include wife, mother, Star Wars geek, ex-competitive skydiver, spreadsheet lover, Dr. Seuss quoter, eMBA, organizational guru,

Fire's Edge (4 books)
  • The Boss (Fire's Edge, #1)
  • The Rookie (Fire's Edge, #2)
  • The Enforcer (Fire’s Edge, #3)
  • The Protector (Fire's Edge, #4)

News & Interviews