Start by marking “The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)

The Mate

(Fire's Edge 0.5)

Maddie Thompson’s life just fell down a rabbit hole. Finding out she's a dragon shifter was one thing — she never quite fit into the human world, and this new reality feels… strangely right. However, discovering the next step is to choose a mate, and if she chooses wrong she'll die, is the other side of crazy. Especially when she already left a piece of her heart with ...more
Published September 17th 2018 by Entangled: Amara

To ask other readers questions about The Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mate

Start your review of The Mate (Fire's Edge, #0.5)
Dianne
If a human female chooses a wrong mate, there is divorce, if a female dragon chooses wrong, there is a fiery death. Maddie has found out she is a dragon shifter, she bears “the mark” and has had the “symptoms.” Now she is told she must pick a mate, her fated mate, from a lineup of sizzlingly hot guys who just happen to be dragon shifters, oh and the dragon Mating Council is watching everything. No pressure, right?

Fallon Conleth, elite dragon enforcer has been summoned by the Mating Council as a
SassyFraz
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drags
probably would have been more stars, but it ended so abruptly. it was still a good short read. next~
Marta Cox
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I saw this authors full length book The Boss mentioned by a friend and when I investigated discovered this prequel was actually free on Amazon. I enjoy paranormal romance and note that well written, fast paced books in this genre seem to sadly be on the decrease . I get that authors write for their muse and for what sells so it's a joy to discover a new series that so far seems to tick all the right boxes.
Well this had me intrigued at dragons and then to just up the ante we get fire fighters too
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Dragons! I did feel like I was missing something while reading about Fallon and Maddie’s mating process-interesting results at that, however, I’m assuming more backstory will happen in book one.
Dominique
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Sherry Fundin
Fallon is called before The Mating Council. She has been found. Mating is a compulsion, a biological drive for dragon shifters. He’d only been drawn to one female and she was a human, forbidden tho him. Fallon is an enforcer, and always does the right thing, so matter what, he would do what the Council demanded.

Maddie showed no signs that she was a dragon shifter, when he knew her. It’s all new to her. The strong, independent, confident woman struggles to maintain her composure. She’d always
Laura the Highland Hussy
I would have rated this higher if I didn’t feel like a lot of backstory was skipped. I feel like it’s book 2 and I haven’t read book 1. I want to read the next book to see if that works better for me.
Other than that, I love the idea and it’s definitely what I was in the mood for!

Full review to come...
Sonja
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
It figures that this prequel was free on Amazon the day after I started reading book one. Even so, I don't actually think this should necessarily be read first. In fact, I think it was better that I read it after. I didn't quite like it as much so it would have been hard to say how much I would have wanted to jump into the series. Plus it doesn't actually give us anything extra really to jump up and say "read me first!" I love when books overlap, so it was fun when this one did with The Boss ...more
Literati Literature Lovers
No Character Development

I would characterize this book as paranormal light. There was minimal world building. There was truly no character development as the two main H/h love interest had already met prior to the books start. It was a quick shifter read, that isn’t memorable.
Leash
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 short but sweet. 3.5 due to the length. ...more
Debrac2014
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Short prequel to The Boss! I enjoyed meeting Fallon and Maddie!
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
Imagine finding out dragons exist. And that you are someone who could be a mate to one of them – you would become a dragon yourself and extend your lifespan! But if you choose wrong you die. An agonizing, horrible, painful death. Not to mention what happens to the dragon you mistakenly chose as well your true mate, the dragon you should have chosen. But hey, no pressure!

All you have to do is choose “the one” from a group of dragons the Mating Council presents to you. Dragons chosen by them who
Amelia
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With a fascination for anything that deals with dragons, I was very excited to see THE MATE is about not only these mystical creatures but that the hero was a firefighter. The world imagined by Abigail Owen for her extraordinary beings is truly remarkable, as details are exceedingly inventive while the characters are also very unique. I was thoroughly entertained at all times because of how fully my thoughts were engaged by every riveting situation.

When firefighter Fallon Conleth learns he
Teresa
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You've got to love the dragons

The Mate by Abigail Owen is the second book of her Fire Dragon's series. I've read both of them now and this can be read as a standalone or in order. The Boss will give you a snippet of the conversation between Finn and Fallon throughout this book though..

Madeline Thompson has just discovered that she has the sign of the Blue Dragon mate bond and has been summoned to the council to meet a possible mate. But Cole who befriended her during the arson investigation they
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished The Boss a few days ago and was eager to read more about these dragon shifters. A quick look on Abigail's website and I discovered that there was a prequel available and what's more, it was free. I quickly downloaded and then, because I couldn't resist it, I had to give it a read.
This is a shorter and quicker story than that of big brother Finn and The Boss. But then, this is a prequel novella, so it's to be expected. Fortunately, despite being a quick read, this is still a little
Tracey
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had already read book one in the series, which I thoroughly enjoyed so diving into the prequel was easy for me to do.

Fallon has been summoned to the dragon headquarters to be a possible mate, little does he know its the woman he left a while ago to protect her from a difficult discovery. Maddy is a feisty woman suddenly thrust into an alien world to her and now she has to choose a mate. Choose wrong and shell die a burst of flames...

This was an enjoyable read, I liked Fallon and Maddy and
Betty Lambert
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. This is really a prequel to the first book of a new paranormal romance, The Boss which is due to come out soon. Maddie Thompson's life just went down the rabbit hole when she finds out she is a dragon shifter, but thought she was human but just didn't fit in somehow. They tell her she now has to choose a mate but if she chooses wrong, she could die. Quite the conumdrum. Fallon Conleth was a bit shocked when the Mating Council summoned him as a potential mate. Fallon ...more
Patty
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fallon Conleth is nervous. After all that his brother went through during the mating ritual, he is scared the same could happen to him. He doesn't even want a mate, but when a potential human showed the sign of his dragon clan, he was chosen. So here he is taking part in the ritual. Maybe it will go quickly and he can get back to the states with his brothers. What Fallon realized when he walked into that room and laid eyes on the human woman who bore the mark, was this is not going to be a walk ...more
Linda  Johnston
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Maddie Thompson is having a hard time since she left part of her heart with the man she was crazy about when he stopped talking to her. Dragon enforcer Fallon Conleth was shocked when Mating Counciil called him to see if he is a mate for the newly found dragon. Hardware rate and precious and many never find the one. Fallon walks in a realized that Maddie was his and he broke her heart not knowing that she dragon and she left town. Now she shows up with another blue dragon that brought her to the ...more
Pansy
Shelves: paranormal
If you like dragon's, you really don't want to miss this! It is a new take on the wonderful world of dragon's. Well a peak, anyway, into this author's version of their mating rituals. OMG! What a hassle! But it is a fun introduction this new series - Fire's Edge. It does a good job of giving some introduction to the world and introducing characters, as well of giving us a fun romance. An entertaining bed-time story. Give it a look! It is free! What can you loose!
Linda Levine
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the story

This is a well written story that has lots of action and romance. You jump right into the story and it keeps going at a fast pace.

She has a difficult choice to make and a short time limit. She has to decide if she can trust her heart to keep her alive. I thought they made a great couple and had fabulous chemistry.
Dena
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow

This was so cool. I liked the different points of view. The different guys and the politics going around was so intriguing. I hope I get to read the other's stories. I'm very much intrigued
SheLove2Read
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, shifters
I love me some Dragon shifters! This was a really satisfying read. Fallon is alpha but not an ass. Maddie was (thank the gods) not stubborn or stupid. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.
Diane Burton
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I don't read dragon-shifter stories. This book changed my mind. Intense and emotional. Can't wait to read the next book (1st full-length novel in this series).
Kimberly C. Winslow
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it!

Short and sweet! Unique storyline with characters I liked. Recommend for something different. If you like shifter stories you will enjoy this.
Sandi Ramirez
Wonderful new spin on Dragon Fated Mates & a Really God Book

I love Dragons. So I was excited to read author Abigail Owens book "The Mate" to see just how above handles my favorite shifters critter. I have to say I am extremely pleased with the outcome of Fallon and Maddie's book. It was a great way to show us this wonder clan of Dragons and her unique spin on how they choose their mates. I love this new way! I am a looking forward to Finn's story next in The Boss.
Christine
Shelves: kindle
With a HEA ending for the hero and heroine and no cliff hanger ending, this was a very satisfying read. The story had humor, action, mystery, suspense, dragon shifters, and steamy romance. The world building was pretty good without an information dump. I am really looking forward to reading the other stories in the series.
Josie
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**no spoilers** LOVE IT! A new series and this prequel definitely got me in the mood to continue to the next book...The Boss. I can't wait to see how things play out.
Doris Evans
Tried

This first in the series was sweet and true. It always awkward when you think you're doing the right thing only to be so wrong.
Coco.V
Sep 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (9/19/18)!

A prequel to the scorching paranormal romance, The Boss, coming September 24th, 2018.

Blurb:
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alpha Turned (Wolf Appeal, #1)
  • The Glow of the Dragon's Heart (Harem of Fire, #0.5)
  • Ride: Awakening (Puca Mates #1)
  • Kissed by Fire (Dragonkeepers, #1)
  • Bearly Tamed (Big Paw Security, #1)
  • Thrill of the Chase (City Shifters: the Pride, #1)
  • The Baby Shift: North Dakota (Shifter Babies of America #1)
  • Wanted by the Alpha (Knotted Omega, #0.5)
  • Beast (Wolves of Angels Rest, #10)
  • Dragon Pact (Blood Dragon, #1)
  • Fever (Blood Moon Rising, #1)
  • Perfect Mate (Project Rebellion, #1)
  • Dragon Spell (Fated Touch, #1)
  • Fated For The Bear (Beauty Bear Clan, #1)
  • Riding Bearback (Bear Ranchers, #1)
  • Fever Claim (The Sigma Menace #1)
  • Emily's Story (Fang Chronicles, #2)
  • When an Alpha Purrs (A Lion's Pride, #1)
Multi-award-winning paranormal romance author, Abigail Owen, loves plots that move hot and fast, feisty heroines with sass, alpha heroes with heart, a dash of snark, and oodles of sexy shifters! Other titles include wife, mother, Star Wars geek, ex-competitive skydiver, spreadsheet lover, Dr. Seuss quoter, eMBA, organizational guru, Texan, Aggie, and chocoholic.

Abigail grew up consuming books and

Fire's Edge (4 books)
  • The Boss (Fire's Edge, #1)
  • The Rookie (Fire's Edge, #2)
  • The Enforcer (Fire’s Edge, #3)
  • Untitled (Fire's Edge, #4)