Start by marking “Reactive (The Elite Trials #1)” as Want to Read:
Reactive (The Elite Trials #1)

Reactive

(The Elite Trials #1)

AN INESCAPABLE CITY. THREE DEADLY TRIALS. ONE WAY OUT.

Lune Tatum, adopted daughter of the Supreme Elite, has lived within her father’s walled city for eleven years.

But she wants out.

Except she can’t leave, and not because of the clans and mutated beasts that roam beyond the impenetrable, electrified walls protecting her life. Her plan has always been to win the Elite Tri
Published October 2nd 2018 by Broken Books

To ask other readers questions about Reactive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reactive

Jesikah Sundin
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, dystopian, romance
Every so often, you stumble across a dystopian novel that is not only heart-stomping in its delivery but a beautiful read from page one until the last. REACTIVE by Becky Moynihan was far more than I had hoped in a dystopian tale.

Unlike most dystopian stories set in grim, polluted, over-populated, high-tech wastelands, REACTIVE is a nature-lovers dream. The story takes place in a walled city that is covered vastly by forests. Beyond the wall is even more forest. But the nature is part of the nigh
Tyffany
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don’t read much dystopian—I’m not sure why, but overall it’s not a genre I tend to gravitate toward. Still, the concept of Reactive sparked my curiosity and I just had to give it a shot when I was asked to beta read.

No. Regrets.

I literally could not put Reactive down. The entire time I was on the edge of my seat wondering what could possibly happen next, and trailing the development of a very feelsy romance. I absolutely devoured this story and its fantastic cast of characters.

Lune is a strong
Grace Kathleen
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had the privilege of beta reading this book in an early stage, and it was honestly a 5 star read back then...but holy crap, it only got better.

I am a huge dystopian fan, so I've read a lot of good and a lot of bad. This book is definitely one of the better ones. I've been more into fantasy lately, but Reactive had this almost fantastical, medieval quality to it despite the futuristic setting that was perfect for a fantasy-lover like me. The setting depicted is a city run like a fiefdom, with t
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars!

Dystopian isn't my go-to genre by any means (like, I haven't even read The Hunger Games) but once I started Reactive I could not put it down!

description

The plot was so interesting, and the three trials the contestants have to go through are all so unique. Although there is still much to be revealed about the overarching plot and the setting (it's only book one, after all!) I loved seeing the world--well, the city--that main character Lune is forced to live in. It's both a beautiful city and a ci
Alejandra mypacificroad
Luna Tatum is trapped between her father’s city walls and she wants out, but the only way to be free is by competing in three trials and becoming the champion. She spends her days training with only one goal on her mind until a boy from her past comes back. Can she trust him though?
 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Reactive is a YA Dystopian perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.It is fast paced and a page-turner.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
There are a lot of things that I enjoyed about this book: the world, the yummy
Ashleigh
If you are remotely at all interested in dystopian stories, this series is for you. It is a cross between Hunger Games and Shatter Me and will leave you dying for the next book in the series.

Lune Tatum is stuck in a city she wants no part of. The worst part, it's run by her adoptive father who is as cruel as they come. In order to escape she has to win. Winning was never a problem until Bren shows up and turns her whole world upside down. Now Lune must chose between being free and ultimately tra
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
*I've received an ARC from the author in return for a honest review*
THAT WAS AMAZING. Honestly, I didn't go into this one with high expectations. I've read so many dystopias and they are the genre that tends to disappoint me the most. But this one is different.

I guess the key here is the characters and the narration. The first person POV works so well, which is a rarity these days. There are so many emotions, so many things that can (and do) go wrong, and the well-written narration makes you car
Amethyst Stone
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a stunning read. Hunger Games meets Divergent and makes something even better. I’m fairly certain this is the author’s first book but you would never know it. It’s story and characters are compelling and devastating. It’s a fairly long read but it’s worth it. Congratulations to a job well done!!! Must read YA!!
Shiza K
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all - I was lucky enough to be among the few who got a chance to beta read for this book, and while I'm not a huge fan of dystopian (barring hunger games) I COULD NOT put this book down! After every line you read, you wanna read some more for Lune Tatum's snark comments and her sense of humor. She is one of those heroes who deals with her inner turmoils as well making her very relatable.
Now, Bren is a whole another story. There's an air of mystery built around him, that will leave you
C.E. Clayton
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not the biggest reader of dystopian novels, or at least, pure dystopian. It’s been a hot minute since I’ve read anything in the genre mainly because I haven’t seen a lot of exciting things done in it. But, behold! Allow me to introduce you to “Reactive” and Tatum City! The world our MC, Lune, occupies has been destroyed—nuclear fallout is kind of what is alluded to but I'm not sure. Strange beasts roam the wilds, and safety can only be found in the walled cities. But some cities are far fro ...more
MadOnReading
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Becky Moynihan that I’ve read, and I was not disappointed. This is largely a fast-paced read that had me turning the pages faster than I could read them.

The worldbuilding of this book is something that’s especially well done. I recently read Whisper by Lynette Noni, and the opening of Reactive particularly struck me as similar. But whereas, for me, Whisper lost its pace and tension in the next chapters (and ultimately became a book I did not finish), Reactive was the c
Dora (d_ireadromance)
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lune Tatum is eighteen years old, and for the past 11 years has been training to strengthen herself with the end goal of winning The Elite Trials and gaining her ultimate goal of Freedom. Lune has a trainer but under unusual circumstances becomes a trainer to Brendon “Bren” Bearon, an outsider. What’s more unusual is Bren’s set of golden eyes that are identical to the boy who 11 years ago took that Freedom she dreams about everyday away. Lune is such an amazing MC, she is fierce and has the stra ...more
Kelli
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Review: Reactive
Author: Becky Moynihan

Four Stars
A dystopian young adult story.
This book has a similar feel to it as books like The Hunger Games and Divergent. But yet at the same time it is different. It is has a good story line with very strong characters and the twists are great. Some of the chapters get quite wordy and lead to really no where. There needs to be some further proof reading and or editing as there are a couple places where the words are off.
I read through this book in one a
Rachael
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re a fan of YA dystopian novels with a strong, sassy, female heroine, this is the book for you! I have been moving away from YA dystopians and this brought me right back! I enjoyed the characters, specifically Lune and Bren, so much so that I had a hard time connecting with other characters because I just wanted more banter 😂 Becky’s writing style is perfect for action, I could see all of the fight scenes play out in my head! I’m looking forward to the next book!
Kate Swed
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I enjoyed this book SO much. I had trouble setting it down and ripped through it so fast that if I hadn't read on my Kindle, I probably would have torn a page. Lune is a great character--she's tough and funny, but all those spikes conceal true vulnerability. She's easy to root for, in a world that wants to tear her to shreds. (Kind of like the pages of my poor book.) Can't wait to pick up Adaptive!
Amber Brennan (caffeinatedbooks1)
If you love a fast-paced, strong female lead, twist and turns kind of story, YOU MUST READ REACTIVE!

Lune Tatum/Avery is a fierce, brave, and headstrong female lead and is every bit the girl I’d hope to be if I were in her situation. She is groomed and trained by the Elites.

That all changes when Bren comes to the city and she is tasked with training him. Can she stay loyal to the trials or will the boy she’s supposed to hate cause her to falter off course?
Georgia
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy for an honest review. I don't like many dystopian novels but this one struck my fancy. I liked Lune immediately from the very first page. However, one thing that I didn't like about her was that she didn't ask the questions that she wanted to ask Bren until around the middle of the story. I get why she was hesitant and I know she had every right to be, but that would have been the first thing I would have asked him the moment we were alone. I, like Lune, was weary of Bren ...more
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wild ride. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story, and look forward to seeing what happens next in the sequel. Great for dystopian fans everywhere!
Sona Via
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing

First of all, let me admit to one truth.. I am a sucker for dystopian novels. And it is not the hardest truth to admit that I am also a sucker for romance novels. But wait what if we add those two genres together and top it with great writing style, it adds up to one word, REACTIVE.

Reactive is the first book in the series highly anticipated by me. It revolves around a badass character, named Luna who strives to get her freedom through the Elite Trials hosted by her adoptive tyrant of a stepfathe
Janice perry
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Full of action and very intriguing.
Dilmeet Matta
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. It keeps you hooked on to find what happens next. There a little mystery to the events along with a bit of love and romance. Just an overflow of all the emotions at once. Reactive indeed 😊
A.J. Torres
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Young Adult Dystopian novel.

Book Cover: 4* - I like seeing the main character on book covers. Full bodied or half bodied, nothing less, showing me who they are or might become. I'm giving this category 4 stars because setting wise it didn't really tell me anything about the story. It's just a green sky with a silhouette of a forest behind her. It's still a cool, well done, and bad ass cover none the less.

Summary/Tagline: 4* - I REALLY like the tagline for this book. "You always have a
Julie McSherry
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling dystopian love story from novelist, Becky Moynihan! If this was her debut novel I cannot wait to read her other work, especially the next book in The Elite Trials, Adaptive....I hope it’s just as jam packed with action, and *ahem* romance as Reactive!
Caitlin Haines
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC of this book from the author for my honest review.

“I don’t want to be dramatic and say I found the next The Hunger Games or Divergent, but I totally found the next The Hunger Games or Divergent.” -- an actual text I sent to my sister while reading Reactive by Becky Moynihan.

As a child, Lune was taken and brought to the walled-in Tatum City, where she was adopted by its Supreme Elitist, Renold Tatum. For the next eleven years she trained for The Trials. Each year there is the g
Literary
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reactive is a dystopian novel written by author Becky Moynihan. It is the first book in the Elite Trials trilogy. Set in Tatum city, Lune is the adopted daughter of the Supreme Elite – Renold Tatum. She longs to escape the city and regain her freedom – however the only way to do that is to win the Elite trials. She is focused and well prepared for her one chance at freedom. That is, until Brendon, a boy from her past re-enters her life – jeopardizing her only chance at freedom.

I was immediately
Jessica
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
He and I, we were doomed from the start. Two beings on different sides, fighting for the same thing.
Thank GOODNESS book 2 in this series is already out, because when I flipped the last page, I needed to know what happened. The training and fighting in the Elite Trials obviously hints at similarities to Hunger Games, but Lune's is a story all unto itself. She is such an interesting character, developed so well, with strong, biting voice. The agony she must be in, always being afraid but always
Miss Jenny
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Firstly I realised after I started this it was dystopia fantasy which isn’t something I’d normally read but I was intrigued by the blurb I’d read and the cover.

The leading character is Lune but there was something off about the character. She would be a kick-butt action genius one minute and a grovelling bundle of mush the next second. I did like the backstory of her as a child BUT it took sooo long to get there. Honestly the first couple of chapters should have been edited out and it start with
Kim
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, dystopian, fantasy
Reactive
by Becky Moynihan
Book 1 of The Elite Trials Series
Rating: 4.5/5

When a book comparison says Hunger Games or Divergent, a reader can’t help but pick up the book and pray that it lives up to the hype. Well, I’m happy to say that this book, Reactive, does NOT disappoint.

From the very start, the reader is dropped into a world where its main character, Lune Tatum, only wants her freedom and is willing to do whatever it takes to earn it. Although she is the adopted daughter of the Supreme Elite
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
This series, how had I not known about it before?! I was lucky enough to find this when the author announced on a group I'm in that she was looking for reviews as the second book neared release...Then won a giveaway for paperback copies, and some amazing character art by the author, so I'm pretty sure it's safe to say, I'm a fan! That said, this review is voluntary and unbiased as it's my own opinions.

If the above doesn't sum anything up, I'll start with the beginning. I've found that I tend to
DesiRae Jones
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was FABULOUS.

I'm fairly certain Lune is my spirit character. Mouthy, strong yet weak, needs a sexy man saving her.... wait what?

This book has a serious Hunger Games vibe, but there is clearly magic we don't quiet understand or know about yet.

Throughout the book I was thrown into various moods. Anger everytime Lune pushes Bren away, yet understanding. Annoyance at her mistrust of Bren..... yet again you can completely understand why.
Curiosity at wondering what side Ryker is on, is he sp
Goodreads Librari...: Cover quality needs updating 3 14 Sep 06, 2018 02:20PM
Becky Moynihan writes sass, romance, and action. She's also the award-winning author of The Elite Trials trilogy (a YA dystopian romance), and co-author of the Genesis Crystal Saga (an NA urban fantasy series coming in 2020), with author Tyffany Hackett.
She spends her days staring at her picturesque backyard, wishing there weren't so many bugs outside when her goldendoodle insists on playing catc

The Elite Trials (2 books)
  • Adaptive (The Elite Trials #2)
“Fear is not weakness. It reminds us that we are human—with limitations. We are not gods. But, instead of hiding our fear, what if we faced it? For in facing what makes us afraid, we become stronger.” 3 likes
“I want to change things for good. But sometimes, for things to get better, they first have to get worse.” 2 likes