Start by marking “Queen of Zazzau” as Want to Read:
Queen of Zazzau

Queen of Zazzau

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  20 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is an advance reader copy of the paperback edition of this book. The final cover edition can be found here.

Amina is heir apparent to the throne of Zazzau and must prove herself worthy of the crown. As foreign invaders close in on them, she is the only thing standing between her people and their destruction. Caught in a web of prophecies and intrigue, she must defend
Published October 1st 2018 by Afrocentric Books

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Zazzau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Zazzau

really liked it 4.00  ·

K.S. Marsden
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amina is a princess, destined to bring war and bloodshed on her nation. But surely you have to choose your destiny?

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story follows the story of the historical Queen of Zazzau - Amina.
I really enjoyed this book. It has war, and interfering gods, and all the pain that comes with life. But it also has a rich feel of the culture, the life that Amina lived. I thought it balanced perfectly, both entertaining and educating the reader.

After the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Not your typical historical fiction. I liked that it was about an African queen of legend, and there's plenty of mythology and folklore and magic intertwined. Some aspects of the story I didn't care for, but it was certainly a well-written, involving story.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I requested Queen of Zazzau from Netgalley because the cover was so striking and I was fascinated by the premise.

It’s #ownvoices.

__

Let me start with something positive. I didn’t know that the story was based on a historical queen and this story led me to reading up as much as I could about her. It was a fascinating task!

However, the book itself. I’m so disappointed in it. I’m really very disappointed. Especially with the portra
Roni
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Amina of Zazzau. I was intrigued by the description of this book, and I got intrigue, excitement, dread, and love all in this wonderful story. I was unaware that historians believe that Amina was an actual ruler in what is now part of Nigeria. I love strong female characters and she has this in spades. Amina is also relatable in that she has family conflict, finds and loses love, tries to live up to expectations, and is altogether human.

It is foreseen that Amina will bring w
USOM
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I opened up Queen of Zazzau. But what I found was an expansive story about a girl, Amina, who has to grow into her power. We are able to witness her entire character development as she has to learn just how much power and responsibility her life entails. As the princess, Amina takes it for granted that she will become the queen, but without a
Holly
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

Totally kick-ass!

TL;DR – A smashing tale of war, love, magic and gods, with seriously strong female characters

5Button

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Fans of historical fantasy, fans of strong female leads

About the Book…

Amina is a princess, heir to the throne of Zazzau and a destiny of war and bloodshed. Amina must prove herself as a warrior and lead Zazzau against hordes of foreign enemies and strange magic. But the god of war has his sights se
James Maxstadt
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen of Zazzau tells the story of Queen Amina, in what is now modern-day Nigeria. Don’t be discouraged by the length of the book, it moves quickly and will keep you turning the pages.
This is not straight-up historical fiction, but rather a blend of that and fantasy, with a healthy portion of the gods mixed in as well.
It’s a pleasure to read along and watch Amina grow from a spoiled young woman, into the strong, fearless leader of her people that she turns into. Along the way she faces down a t
Bailey Ember
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot flowed nicely and the action kept me guessing and flipping pages. What a clever story.

J.S. Emuakpor has created a novel in which the main character shows growth. For me that is always something I look for in my favorite main characters. I liked flawed characters and if they can overcome things, it really speaks to me.

This was a quick read for me. I felt like the words and plot just flowed long effortlessly. I found myself flipping page after page, laughing, and guessing the whole time.
Engel Dreizehn
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC Copy...where to start other then it had the epic scale battle action, attention to details imagery relating things like the scenery and the clothing of the different cultures/groups plus one very fiery female warrior riding into battle and standing strong in the heat of combat!
Sara Jo
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was very hopeful reading a story set in what is now Nigeria with a real Queen from the mid 1500's. What I didn't expect was the very strong thread of fantasy/sci-fi involving several gods. I enjoy fantasy though, but the way it developed was difficult for me to read. Amina is part of a prophecy that basically says she will be part of a lot of war and deaths regarding her people. This develops into a relationship with the God of War, Dafaru. The way the sex scenes were written, especially with ...more
J.S. Emuakpor
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Publisher's Weekly said, "Emuakpor craftily weaves fascinating characters, facts, and folklore together into a riveting adventure steeped in African culture."

And it's a starred review! So, I'm going to rate it 5 stars for them. Just saying. ;)

Holly
Dec 03, 2018
Virginia Pommerening
Oct 24, 2018
Danae
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up DNFing this book because it is one of those books where you get a lot of action in the beginning, and it runs out of steam rather quickly. I had no clue if the world was fictional or real or where the scene was taking place. Some of the scenes skipped and did not flow the way I am used to. I gave up after chapter 13 when a particular character died. The premise intrigued me, and the cover is gorgeous but other than that the story did not entice me as much as I thought it would.
1/5 sta
Josh Kushins
Jan 06, 2019
Apr 08, 2019
Roni
Mar 02, 2019
Claire
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I liked the setting. I liked how it felt like, with the Nigerian Gods, it felt like a historical fairy tale. Amina is a warrior who is devoted to her country's well being.

My huge problem is how the sex scenes are written. They're on the side of non-consensual. It's one thing when a god is being pushy after Amina says no but it's another when it's a human love interest.

Once she stops having human love interests and cares more about conquering then it gets more interesting. Loo
Theresa Klose
Kellea
Feb 06, 2019
RABT Book Tours: Queen of Zazzau 1 2 Nov 20, 2018 04:55AM
RABT Book Tours: Queen of Zazzau by J.S. Emuakpor 1 2 Oct 29, 2018 04:52AM
Sci-Fi, fantasy a...: Queen of Zazzau Free at NetGalley 1 7 Oct 02, 2018 12:24PM
Advanced Copies f...: Queen of Zazzau Available at NetGally 1 11 Oct 02, 2018 12:23PM
Requests & Reviewers: Queen of Zazzau Free on NetGalley 1 17 Oct 02, 2018 11:54AM