Start by marking “2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)” as Want to Read:
2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)

2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  40,765 Ratings  ·  812 Reviews
When 2001: A Space Odyssey first shocked, amazed, and delighted millions in the late 1960s, the novel was quickly recognized as a classic. Since then, its fame has grown steadily among the multitudes who have read the novel or seen the film based on it. Yet, along with almost universal acclaim, a host of questions has grown more insistent through the years:

Who or what tran
Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published January 12th 1984 by Del Rey/Ballantine Books (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about 2010, please sign up.

Kye Weber "Sentinel" is not so much a sequel to 2010: A Space Odyssey" as prior work by the author. Witch was used as foundation material for the first book in…more"Sentinel" is not so much a sequel to 2010: A Space Odyssey" as prior work by the author. Witch was used as foundation material for the first book in the series "2001: A Space odyssey."
The Arthur C. Clarke, the author, has this to say about the relationship between "Sentinel"and the odyssey books:

I had already given Stanley a list of my shorter pieces, and we had decided that one—“The Sentinel”—contained a basic idea on which we could build. “The Sentinel” was written in an explosion of energy at Christmas 1948, as my entry for a BBC short story contest"

The full text of his remarks on this subject, as well as the origins of the Odyssey books, can be found in "The Forward to the Millennial Edition" of "2001: A Space Odyssey"(less)

Apatt
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
“Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do.”

Funny that this innocuous kiddies’ tune always reminds me of a homicidal supercomputer.

Arthur C. Clarke, in spite of being a sci-fi legend, is not known for his characterization, but HAL 9000 is one of the most memorable sci-fi characters ever, with his friend Dave Bowman not far behind.

With 2010: Odyssey Two, we are back to “the future” which is now the past. Some people will be put off from reading this book because it is set six years ago and nothing like
Jen
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished reading this I thought, man, I wish I didn't suck so badly at science, because being an astronomer would be SO FREAKING COOL.

But I do suck so badly at science, so I just get to read wonders like this and wish I was half as good a writer as Arthur C. Clarke, who gets to be really friggin' smart in TWO CAREERS, which is totally unfair.

There are several great things about this book. First, and one of the things that I love to read old sci-fi books for, is what Clarke in the 80
Brendon Schrodinger
Space Baby's Big Day Out.

After the events in 2001 (Dave becoming a Space Baby, HAL being shut down while singing), the world is left in wonder about what happened out near Saturn..JUPITER! Sorry, Jupiter. Right? It was Jupiter all along.

Dr Floyd, the bureaucrat who ventured to the Moon to check out TMA-1 is back and now he looks like Roy Schneider (who I see died in 2008 :( ). The Russkis are headed out to check out what happened slightly quicker than what the U.S. can manage. Oh how times don't
Henry Avila
The enigma of the Spaceship Discovery, lost in Jupiter's orbit ( the setting has been changed from Saturn in the original book, to match Kubrick's film).Arthur C. Clarke's sequel to 2001, has Dr. Heywood Floyd, again recruited on a joint U.S. and Soviet(written in 1982)expedition, to the giant planet.To find out what happened!The crew of the Soviet ship Leonov ,consists of seven Russians and three Americans,with both male and female members.Dr.Floyd,Dr. Chandra, builder of the malfunctioning com ...more
Daniel
Jedna od omiljenih stvari kod ovih knjiga su imaginacija pisca pri smisljanju novih svetova i vrsta i njihov uverljiv opis. Kada se cita prosto imas pred ocima sve ono o cemu gosn Klark pise. Prosto ne verovatno.

S druge strane isto mi se svidja kolko je covek ispred svog vremena kada govori i o daleko ljudskijim stvarima ka sto seksualnost ili brak bez problema provlaceci veze izmedju vise ljudi ili ljudi stog pola. A jos veci plus je nacin na koji je prikazan da to uopste ne bode oci vec ide va
Richard Knight
Boooooring. Having read the first book many years ago, one thing I remember with that story was just how dazzling and daring it felt. Much like the movie, certain images will forever be ingrained in my head. That Odyssey I loved journeying on. But this one, not so much. I mostly think it's all the characters, none of whom are interesting. Their voyage doesn't really seem all that harrowing in this story, and even if it was, I was so uninterested with the characters that I probably would have app ...more
Vishal
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Heidi
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to 2001 was fine, but it wasn't nearly as good as 2001. Heywood Floyd and a couple of other Americans join the Russians on a trip to rescue the stranded spaceship Discovery and learn what happened to astronaut David Bowman, who disappeared at the end of 2001. They also want to probe the mystery of the black monolith, which is hanging in space around...Jupiter?

Yes, they end up at Jupiter, even though in the book 2001, the black monolith was sitting on one of Saturn's moons. And when D
Andreas
This series started as a one-off book released in conjunction with the Stanley Kubrick movie of the same name. The series consists of:

* 2001: A Space Odyssey
* 2010: Odyssey Two. (Also made into a film)
* 2061 Odyssey Three
* 3001: The Final Odyssey

The first and second books are enthralling. 2061 is more of the same, and thus decent but somewhat pointless as part of the arc. 3001 is an attempt at closing up all the loose threads, and does so in a satisfying way.

For a long time, these books frus
Mövlüd
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur-c-clarke
"Çok uzun zaman önce bu deneye başlamış olanlar insan ya da ona benzer bir canlı değillerdi. Ancak etten ve kandandılar ve uzayın derinliklerine baktıklarında korkuyla karışık bir saygı, merak ve yalnızlık hissetmişlerde. Güç elde eder etmez de, yıldızlara doğru yolculuk etmeye başlamışlardı.
Araştırma sırasında, çok çeşitli yaşam türleri ile karşılaşmışlardı ve binlerce gezegenin evrim süreçlerini izlemişlerdi. Kozmik gecede ilk zeka pırıltılarının ne sıklıkta parıldayıp söndüğünü görmüşlerdi.
Rusty
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Stephen Baxter’s Proxima last week. And while it wasn’t the best book ever written, it is the perfect type of book for me. And by that I mean that, for whatever reason, those type of novels do something to me, deep inside, that really resonates. It’s why I’ll always love that type of Science Fiction way more than I ever will Fantasy. I’ve never found a Fantasy book, no matter how good, that can make me shut the book once it’s over, and go sit outside and stare at the stars.

I’m inclined to
scrillla
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke is another beautiful journey through the solar system filled with transformation and unexpected beginnings. 2010 is the 2nd in the Space Odyssey Saga and the sequel to 2001. I mention this because it's important that you've read 2001 in order to understand 2010.

Dr. Heywood Floyd, chairman of the National Council of Aeronautics, makes a reappearance and is the protagonist or main character for 2010. He has been chosen to be a part of a recovery mission of sor
Dany Burns
I liked this sequel way more than I thought I was going to. 2001 is such a staple of pop culture and most people have at least heard of the movie but I've never heard anyone talk about the sequels to the book. For me, the first book was slightly better. I liked the body of the story of the first book a bit more but I liked the last few chapters of this book and the ending more than I liked the ending of the last book.I also liked that in this book the cast of characters was bigger. Don
Hope
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: just about anyone
I have mixed feelings about this book. Given that title, it should be a sequel to the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it's not. It's more a semi-sequel to the movie of the same name. Where the novel and the book differ, 2010 follows the movie, expect where it changes things to make this novel more consistent. Since it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I'm not aware of what those differences are.

Clark's writing continues to be quite beautiful. He has the rare combination of being bo
Tuan Ho
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I really can't think of anyone who can match Arthur C. Clarke in his ability to instill a sense of timeless wonder and awe that just makes your mind orgasm with joy!

Clarke's writing is just beautiful to read. He makes you understand all the technical stuff, but does it in the most poetic way imagineable.

The last few chapters and the epilogue reminded me of why I love Arthur C. Clarke. Just brilliant!
Randy
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie sequel is not as good as the original, but in many ways I think this might be Clarke's most polished effort. He actually takes the time to think out a plot and characters, and it's interesting to see what happens following the events in the first book/movie.
Lanko
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Overall disappointing considering the first masterpiece.

Gone is the sense of wonder, mystery and excitement. The first half of the book was pretty dry and slow and honestly I don't remember much of it. The second half was slightly better mainly because we find HAL-9000 again and what the heck happened with him.

I think Clarke tried to put some characterization for his astronauts, but it didn't work, specially when most of it was to tell us who, why and how characters acted, thought and believed.
Jason
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I grew up watching the Peter Hymans movie adaptation of this novel. I later found a copy of the book in my high school library and read it while I was a teenager. It enjoyed it, knew I would read it again, but it has taken me about fifteen years. Amanda found a used copy at the library a few years ago, and I decided that after 2001 A Space Odyssey and Rendezvous with Rama, a little more Arthur C. Clarke wouldn’t hurt.

Summary
Ten years after the mysterious and disastrous events of the first book
Epichan
Kitap elimde fazlasıyla süründü diyebilirim. Bununda içinde pek heyecan ve merak duygusundan yoksun olmasına bağlıyorum. Bilim kurgu olarak ilginç eklentiler olsa da hikaye konusu olarak tek düze gidiyor. Bazı yerlerde hikaye heyecanlanıp sonra hemen sönüyor. Kitabın sonuna kadar ne için okuduğumu pek fark etmedim. En sonunda ki gelişmeler ile insanın merak duygusu artıyor sadece.
Jason Golomb
"2010 - Odyssey Two" is a strong sequel to Arthur C. Clarke's renowned "2001 - A Space Odyssey". The story is well-crafted and the plot moves briskly, which makes for an enjoyable read. It's not deep on character development, and the action is infrequent, but delivered smartly and purposefully to provide the fuel for an interesting plot, expansive exposition of space, and exploration of key themes.

Like the first novel, Clarke crafts his story and writing very deliberately to create a heavy and
†Ðawn†  has reading burn-out.
ON SALE FOR 1.99 TODAY

ALSO KU
Daniorte
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un secuela muy a la altura pero antes vamos con los peros.

Es una secuela pero no del libro si no de la película. Entre el libro y la peli hay diferencias fundamentales como la localización. Mientras que en el libro era Saturno en la peli era Júpiter. Clarke parece que, tras ver el existo de la peli, lleva los cambios a la secuela de manera que altera totalmente el curso de los acontecimientos y supongo que la idea original que Clarke tenía al escribir la saga. El libro no desmerece por este camb
Sudhamshu Hebbar
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
The second book by Arthur Clarke that I read. It's also the second book in the Odyssey series. Honestly, I didn't ask obvious questions. The who, why, where of the 'aliens' mentioned in the first part, the fate of the spaceship Discovery, fate of David Bowman needed to be asked. They are answered in this book.
While Clarke continues to fascinate with the intricate details that space travel brings forth, he leaves you in awe with his descriptions of Jupiter & its moons. I was taken aback a bit
Navi
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...Is it possible to like a sequel more than the first book? Cause I totally do.

I can't really describe why though. Perhaps its the fact that more interesting things happen in this book. Or that we actually stick with a set of characters the entire time instead of jumping around different connected events. And I quite liked the characters, too. They felt less flat than the last one.

But MAN, Hal and Dave steal this show. Like, really steal it. Both of them don't appear for long but they manage to
Lado
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ჰმ... აღარ უნდა გაეგრძელებინა. არაფერია ახალი და განსაკუთრებული. 2001 ის სიუჟეტებს ატრიალებს. რა ქენი კლარკუნა ეს? :/. მაგრამ, მაინც :

,,გარნა არა არს სიწმინდე თვინიერ წმინდასა შავსა მართკუთხედსა,რომელ არს მტკიცედ დგომად და გამყოფ ხაზსა ნათელსა და ბნელსა,ვითარ მხარეი ერთი მიიქცევა ნათელსა მზისასა,ხოლო მხარეი იგი მეორე არს მიქცევად წიაღსა წყვდიადსა ღამესა მისსა.არამედ არს ათგზის უფროის ზომითა მონოლით ესე ყოვლითა მაღალსა ევროპელსა ზედა, მაშინაც კი ვითარ იგი იქმნეს განშლად ყოვლისა საცეცისა.არც მონო
Seth
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Never has the generic Goodreads rating "it was ok" been more applicable for me. A bunch of underdeveloped characters go to space to answer questions that, once "answered," have left me with the realization that I shouldn't have bothered to ask them after all. Gone is the mystery and intrigue of the original 2001, and aside from a handful of moments, there was never an atmosphere of danger...Clarke is far too safe with his characters for my tastes, and it almost seems as if he couldn't decide bet ...more
Efka
A very slow book this Odyssey is, and it does not quite live up to it's predecessor, though I have to admit, that it starts good and ends in a very climactic and dramatic fashion, maybe even beating the first Odyssey's ending. The real problem is mid-book, which sometimes is plain boring. A decent book, some familiar characters making a comeback also is a nice bonus, but the writing at moment feels a bit chaotic and stretched out too much and without necessity. Overall, read it if you liked 2001 ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey #2), Arthur C. Clarke
عنوان: 2010 : اودیسه دو؛ نویسنده: آرتور سی. کلارک؛ مترجم: رضا فاضل؛ تهران، سرش، 1371؛ در 340 ص؛ شابک: 9644350227؛
آیا انسان میتواند به ماورای ماده عروج کند؟ پاسخ دکتر آرتور سی. کلارک٬ مخترع ماهواره ی مخابراتی و برنده جوایز بیشمار فیزیک٬ ریاضی و ادبی٬ در داستان علمی - تخیلی «: ادیسه دو» شگفت آور است
Peshala
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading 2001 it was so natural to start 2010. The most I liked was Arthur's predictions about technology.
Somewhere in the middle of reading 2010 it occurred to me that this would be the last book I would read from this series.
Somehow things changed and I liked the way everything turned out at the end. I think I am going to read the next book, too.
Kadir Kılıç
Bir yorumda serinin gittikçe kötüleştiğini okumuştum ve bu yüzden tedirgindim.Ama yorumun aksine serinin gittikçe güzelleştiğini farkettim.2010 kitabı 2001'den daha güzel ve 2001'deki anlamadığım kısımları anlamamıza sağladı ve çok orjinal bir konusu vardı.
  • The Currents of Space (Galactic Empire #2)
  • Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2)
  • Venus (The Grand Tour, #18)
  • Eternity (The Way, #2)
  • N-Space
  • The Ascension Factor (The Pandora Sequence, #3)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

Space Odyssey (4 books)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)

“What was more, they had taken the first step toward genuine friendship. They had exchanged vulnerabilities.” 168 likes
“It must be wonderful to be seventeen, and to know everything.” 105 likes