Start by marking “Ghost Ship: A Cape Cod Story” as Want to Read:
Ghost Ship: A Cape Cod Story

Ghost Ship: A Cape Cod Story

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"I am so pleased to have written my first children's book and to have my dear friend Wendell Minor illustrate it. I thought it would be a daunting project, but with six grandchildren and eleven stepgrandchildren, I've been telling stories to children for a long time."

-- Mary Higgins Clark

Published April 3rd 2007 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Ship

Terri Lynn
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
This is a lovely children's book by mystery writer Mary Higgins Clark about a little boy who encounters a boy who lived years earlier, a ghost ship, and a terrible fire. It is a picture book but is interesting enough even for an adult like myself and the artwork is just exquisite. I would have bought this for the art alone. Don't let the words "picture book" make you think this is for babies. It is not!
Cosette
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
I'm not sure what I was looking for with this book. Maybe I've been spoiled by all her other books, but this just didn't live up to my standards of Mary Higgins Clark.
Joelisa Aparicio
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some there a past ago in history "1960" and there's ghost boy died and he tell to him story about "boat".
☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to ☯ DαякєηRнαℓ ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜ by: Myself
Renee Parrish
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ghost Ship (2007) by Mary Higgins Clark, Pictures by Wendell Minor, Fiction.

This suspenseful story of a cabin boy brought back from the beyond to tell his story, and the story of his Captain as well, is one that will keep the readers' curiosity from beginning to end. The book starts out with a young boy, Thomas, who is staying with his Grandmother in her vintage home on Cape Cod for a summer visit. Thomas loves exploring along the beach line, especially after a storm has run its course, leavin
Merri Platt
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a little boy who is vising his Grandma for the summer. She happens to live in Cape Cod in an old house built by a celebrated captain of many ships back many years ago. Thomas loves to visit his Grandma and he often thinks about the man who built the house and what he must have been like and what he must have done. As he is sitting on the beach in front of his Grandmother's house, he sees something in the sand that had washed up on shore. At first he doesn't know what it is bu ...more
Pam Vass
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
A young boy is visiting his grandmother for the summer in Cape Cod and finds himself in a sea adventure. Thomas comes across a belt buckle hidden in sand and a boy about his age in vintage clothing with a pony tail appears when he cleans the belt buckle off. Thomas is the protagonist of the story and the Silas, the Cabin boy reflect a shift or change in composition and perspective. Silas is almost dreamlike as the ocean floats through him in every scene and Thomas reflects reality. Their charact ...more
Jose Juan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is titled Ghost Ship by Mary Higgins Clark and Illustrated by Wendell Minor. This was Clark's first children's book. The main character is a young boy by the name of Thomas. He is 9 years old. The setting of the story is in Cape Cod, near the shore. The main character finds a belt buckle that belonged to a famous captain by the name of Andrew Hallett. The spirit of a young child by the name of Silas Rich, who is also the same age as Thomas, appears to him and begins to tell the story o ...more
Lisa
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Thomas loved his summer visits to his grandmother's on Cape Cod. He spent hours wondering about the sailing ships of the past and imagining their stories. He dreamed of being on a sailing ship himself. One afternoon after a night of terrible thunderstorms, Thomas finds, deep in the sand, a weathered, old-fashioned belt buckle. When he picks it up, a boy his own age, Silas Rich, who was a cabin boy on a ship called the Monomoy that sailed almost 250 years ago, appears. Suddenly the world of saili ...more
Darlene
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Genre - fiction

Reading Level - 4th to 5th grade

Topic and themes - friendship

Curricula use - guided reading

social -

literary elements - A ghost is being personified as a person.

Text and pictures -

Summary - This is a very interesting book that has a twist to it. Thomas was down at the beach where he found an item in the sand and a boy ghost named Silas appeared to him, as it was his belt buckle that Thomas had found. Silas goes on to tell stories to Thomas and at the end of the book they have be
Whitney Pack
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This story goes back in time to tell a tale before for travel was all about cars, and planes. I decided to read this book because Mary Higgins Clark is not known for writing picture books. However, I think this book has great detail on how children can create stories in their mind, or have imaginations that can run wild. I think this book over all will catch children's attention and teach them alittle about a time when Sailing was your form of transportation.
Jen Sorpold
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I was suprised to find one written by Mary Higgins Clark but thought that it was wonderful! It was a really neat story. I loved that it was about ghosts but they weren't presented in a scary way. It was a really neat story. Ghosts and mysteries have been my thing and this book is a great way to introduce younger children to the subject. Wonderful pictures as well!
Alice
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars I have read lots of books today and most of them ranged from okay to sort of okay! Finally a well done book.

The story was interesting, the pictures were great! The only negative it is a tad long, but worth reading!!

As all my colleagues said "Mary Higgins Clark writes Kids books?" I was shocked too!
Kristy McRae
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another book that my son chose from the library. He's fascinated by pirates and ships. He loved this story, and I really enjoyed it, too. It's an interesting little slice of history, told in a fun way (a boy meets the ghost of a cabin boy, who tells him the story of his ship), and the illustrations are very well done.
Megan
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ghost ship is a story that addresses history and how the English language has changed over time. The story has a fantasy/mystery aspect that intrigues young readers. This story when read-aloud would open itself to a debate of what each listener believes about the story. Is Silas real, a ghost, or Thomas' imagination?
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everyone's familiar with Mary Higgins Clark's thrillers, but this is a first for her, a children's picture book. Appropriate for Clark, this is a ghost story, but one that is educational rather than terrifying. This is a great way to impart a history lesson.
Emily Ewing
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an easy story however the illustrations for the book weren't as entertaining as the story would be for children
Christine
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
My kids liked it...
Deborah
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This picture book has wonderful illustrations and an interesting interaction between a modern boy and a cabin boy from the past. A virtual trip to Chatham. Delightful, in my opinion.
Ollie
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like Mary Higgins Clark's mysteries so I was excited to see she had written a children's picture book mystery. This book is a great historical adventure story.
Diane
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Good ship story.
Amber
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
Wonderful Illustrations. Never knew that Mary Higgins Clark wrote a children's book.
Jessica
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like the story and the idea of meeting people with fascinating stories.

Picture Book
Danna
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent children's book by one of my favorite authors. My third grade class loved the story of the mooncussers and a cabin boy in the 1700's.
Melanie
None of the suspense that Clark is known for. Not a well-told story. Too long of a story not to be good; kids won't stick with it. I've already had a couple try...
Liz Collins
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good book. Her first childrens' mystery book. I was very impressed. I also enjoyed being able to share my lover for Mary Higgins Clark with my kids. They enjoyed this book as well.
Monica
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The paintings/drawings in this book are wonderful. :) The story is neat as well.
Sherree
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've had this on a list to read forever, so I picked it up at the library yesterday and read it. It's a very sweet children's book, and I enjoyed reading it.
Rebekah
Nov 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
This was a cute and well written book but I was expecting/hoping for more of a ghost story. Still it was worth reading.
  • The Christmas Box
  • Women of Mystery
  • Novels by Mary Higgins Clark
  • Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me
  • The Way to Start a Day
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
  • All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank (Actual Times)
  • Dandelions
  • Emily
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race
  • Tell Me No Secrets
  • Nappy Hair
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...