Start by marking “Girl Gone Viral” as Want to Read:
Girl Gone Viral

Girl Gone Viral

For seventeen-year-old Opal Hopper, code is magic. She builds entire worlds from scratch: Mars craters, shimmering lakes, any virtual experience her heart desires.

But she can't code her dad back into her life. When he disappeared after her tenth birthday, leaving only a cryptic note, Opal tried desperately to find him. And when he never turned up, she enrolled at a boardin
Published May 21st 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Girl Gone Viral, please sign up.
Maddy Pieronek Yeah, I would say so. A little slow and vague at times, but a good read with interesting science fiction components if you are into that.

Start your review of Girl Gone Viral
Emma Giordano
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Penguin Teen. I had no obligation to read or review this book and all opinions are my own.
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
I wanted this to be better

I liked the premise of this book and it started off solid, but I began to get a bit bored about half way through the book. Then at about 70%, things really picked up, but too much started happening. The main character began changing so much as to be unlikeable and the main plot that was described in the beginning didn’t even really come about until the last few pages, then it sort of ended with a bunch of open questions.

The book was about Opal Hopper, who lost her fath
Kathy - Books & Munches
Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: releases-2019
> GAMES?!
> Ready Player One-twist?!
> GAAAAMES?!

Like, I loved Warcross, Wildcard AND Ready Player One so I can only assume I'd love this one as well.
On the TBR you go, dearie!
Adah Udechukwu
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Girl Gone Viral was disappointing. It started well and then it went downhill.
The novel lost it's compelling edge. I actually expected a lot from the title.
 Amelia
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alone, sci-fi, 2019
Ahhh slow paced book with a disappointing ending but very realistic characters and interesting concept = mixed feelings.

When it comes to the characters, they are amazing. They are so realistic and I couldn't help but root for them, to feel their pain, to want them to succeed, to like them despite their mistakes. All of them were so. good. Opal was definitely an interesting MC because she was neither good nor bad. She made some questionable choices but you could understand why she did those thi
L.A. Starks
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly but not totally tongue-in-cheek trigger warning: absolutely not for students (and their parents) who are applying to colleges, especially Stanford. This book just ratchets up admissions anxiety a hundred-fold.

Armadi has written about a fictional high school in Palo Alto but he himself went to TJ (Thomas Jefferson) and I wish he'd written about that instead. Still, Palo Alto is extremely cool--I love it--and this has the merit of keeping everything in one place. Opal's dedication to find
Emma
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of this, thought it. Was a 5 star read but I found the last third to be an anti climax and felt a bit let down and disappointed.
Noha Badawi
Feb 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thanks a million for Penguin Random House International for sending me an advance reader copy.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
"Fairness is a rubber band, and the longer you stretch it--the more you rely on its elasticity--the more it stings when it snaps."

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really dislike it when books end without actually ending. Girl Gone Viral would have received a higher rating from me, if something had been resolved at its conclusion. We s
L.A. Starks
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lindsay
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Writing near future SF is ambitious due to the speed of technical innovation, social change because of it, and the difficulty of predicting both. (Have a read of some of Charles Stross's articles on doing so for some of the reasons why; he's had to trunk whole books because real world events moved faster than he could write). Writing it with a YA bent, at what's essentially the leading edge of this type of social change is leaning into the problem. This book is a superb effort, even while it doe ...more
Bethany
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl Gone Viral is kind of like a mashup of a slower, character-driven YA contemporary with elements from books like An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, Warcross, and Ready Player One. It is a near future story about a girl who codes on a virtual reality platform and is trying to discover what happened when her father disappeared years earlier. It is also about fame, social media, friendship, love, and betrayal.

I liked a lot of what this book was trying to do and there is really thoughtful handling
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I can read that the ideas are there, the story is there, the crux is there, but Girl Gone Viral is let down by its tepid storytelling that lacks purpose that would otherwise grip my attention.

- Follows Opal, a coder prodigy and daughter of a man who disappeared under mysterious circumstances. When a spontaneous decision to feature in a virtual reality channel turns out of control, Opal finds herself in the spotlight - changing her life forever.
- This book isn't the kind of 'fast-paced action' so
Carien
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted a bit more nuance to the messages this story contains.
Emma Reads
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

I would have given this a full five star rating if the ending wasn't so rushed. The rest of the book was paced very well, was highly entertaining, and easy to read. The characters were so fun to get to know! Each character was so interesting and very unique. Also, this book dealt with mental health which I was not expecting! I felt that this story had very accurate representation of mental illness. I would highly recommend this book to everyone! It comes out in May so be sure to get y
Lata
The story follows this structure:
1) Nerdy, wounded/angry, shy girl takes centre stage and gains fame.
2) Girl works really hard with her two friends to become more famous and influential.
3) Girl makes mistake after mistake, sabotaging all of her relationships while gaining more fame.
4) Girl decides to own up and start treating her friends better.
The story is fast-moving, and while I could predict around when Opal was going to do certain things in service of her fame, and when she’d finally be
Marie
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
This book was a rollercoaster. It took me a little while to get used to the technologies, but once I was immersed into it all, I really loved it, the discussions surrounding technologies, the central presence of complex friendships and the mystery at its heart, too. A very entertaining read!
Read my full review of Girl Gone Viral on the blog.

Thank you to Penguin Random House International and Bookworms Unite PH for sending me the e-ARC of this book and allowing me to take part in the INTL blog to
temi ★
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: new-2019, sci-fi
i swear there’s been a giveaway for this every week. god, if you want this in my hands....now is the time
Amy Bruestle
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowing, dnf
DNF @72%

The book was cool, futuristic. But boring. I kept waiting for the good part, but I couldn’t wait any longer.
TheNatashaReads
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4/5

Review:

This book was really interesting and a page turner. I stayed up late reading this book just to uncover what will happens next! Let’s first start with the story background, I love that the book is set up in a futuristic time. Where our lives are filled with Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, self-driving cars and many more.

Besides that, I love that the book showed equality and not to underestimate women capabilities in achieving great things just like men could.

“His pr
Amanda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Overall I really enjoyed this. It was a fast fun read but the last quarter of the book kept me from rating it higher. The last part felt like a rush to wrap up all the dangling plot points and most of them were unsatisfactory in the end.
Kayla Brunson
So I really don’t know what to think about this one. I was going in thinking I was going to get Warcross vibes and a really kickass heroine. While I did get some Warcross vibes, that’s really the only part that I got.

"Humans are experts in sharing. It started with cave paintings and evolved into books, tweets, virtual reality -- who knows what’s next. But the pieces of ourselves that we share are just that. Pieces."

This book takes place in the far future where even iPhones are a joke of the past
Kal ★ Reader Voracious

ARC sent by Penguin Teen in exchange for my honest review.
Gone Viral is a fantastic coming of age contemporary that includes technology that really roots itself in how tech and social media are a big part of growing up today. You can read my post as part of Penguin's Blog Tour here!
“Humans are experts in sharing. It started with cave paintings and evolved into books, tweets, virtual reality. […]
We’re complicated beings who hardly understand our own selves, and that’s precisely
faith ✨
Well, that was unexpected. Warcross is quaking with this—rather inaccurate— marketing pitch.

When Opal Hopper enters an online contest titled Make-A-Splash—viewing it as an opportunity to discover the whereabouts of her missing father—she's whisked into a thrilling world of fame, friendship, and new discoveries.

Okay, look: to be honest, I was expecting this book to be filled with much more twists and turns—due to its marketing pitch of 'for fans of Warcross [and Black Mirror],'—it becoming a hig
*mk*
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 36%. I found this book...kind of boring. The writing style is bland, the world building is unimpressive, the author tells a lot of the story rather than showing it. At this point I realized I just didn’t even really care what was happening. Usually a central mystery can keep me going because of a desire to know what’s happening but not in this case.
Abby
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
1 star

!WARNING! THIS REVIEW MAY BE LONGER THAN EXPECTED.

Gosh, I got myself kind of excited for this one and it ended up being a flop. At least, for me anyway. I was expecting a really good mystery involving some tech, but honestly I'm not sure what the point of this book even is. I honestly felt nothing with this one. I never laughed, I never cried... I guess I was angry but that was the entire time because I was just SO annoyed. And I'm also angry because I wasted post-its on this to write abou
Katie  Hanna
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
interesting concept, didn't deliver on a lot of its promises, left too many things open-ended
Khadijah
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Imagine you gather the perfect ingredients for a cake. You measure them well, pour them into a nice bowl, and mix to a gorgeous, smooth consistency. You take a few whiffs of the nice-smelling batter, maybe. Perhaps even lick the whisk. Then, last but definitely longest, you pour the batter into a pot full of water on the stovetop and let it boil.

That is what Arvin Ahmadi did with this book.

———————————————————————

I have never seen such a promising buildup go so far downhill. When I was in the fi
Richelle Delgado
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Not good, not great just OK!
Bianca (The Ultimate Fangirl)
HOLY AMAZEBALLS. THIS. BOOK. Now it sort off dawned on me why Penguin Teen called out Arvin on Twitter to submit this because heck, I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY DONE THE SAME THING. LOL

That being said, I was in the middle of a ridiculous!! slump when I started reading this book, but it was the cure to my sanity. I love stories that deal with virtual reality, much so if it involves technology and discussions. There's all this talk about augmented reality, people against technology, and virtual talk show

• Swipe Right for Murder
  • Girls of July
  • The Memory Thief
  • The Voice in My Head
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Don't Say a Word (Hometown Antihero, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns