Start by marking “Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard” as Want to Read:
Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard

Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard

Sometimes you need the past to change the future.

In this humorous, feel-good story, 44-year-old Olivia Holmes has had more than her fair share of ups and downs – but then she inherits something entirely unexpected that could change everything. However, there’s a catch...
Published August 27th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard

Start your review of Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard
Whispering Stories
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book opens with a grumpy Olivia Holmes hating the idea of a get-together organised by her company, as a team-building exercise. A typical city-girl, spending her day in the wilds, rather than the comforts of her home was the last thing she wanted to do. Amidst all this, a call from a law firm keeps bugging her and when finally she gets it, it changes her life for good, or does it?

The title intrigued me as something of a laughter riot, all mixed up and something, hilarious situations, things
Nico Genes
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A novel full of details regarding wine and vines.
The concept of this book is an interesting one. When Olivia and her cousins find out they inherited a vineyard, everything seemed surreal. Especially having in mind the stipulations attached to the will. The author has done a good job in narration, especially regarding the life in a vineyard with all the details, a bit too many I must say as it slowed the pace. But there were also interesting moments about life, work, love, and determination. Whi
Pranav Pandey
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book opens with a grumpy Olivia Holmes hating the idea of a get-together organized by her company, as a team-building exercise. A typical city-girl, spending her day in the wilds, rather than the comforts of her home was the last thing she wanted to do. Amidst all this, a call from a law firm keeps bugging her and when finally she gets it, it changes her life for good, or does it?

Pauline Robins
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely Gentle Story

This book is perfect if you want a story that is happy without being cloyingly sweet. It's characters are interesting and realistic and sympathetic. Much to my surprise I found I really cared about what happened to them. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read a nice, uncomplicated story that raises a smile and makes you wonder if, maybe, the country life could be the life for you.
Dawn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute. I didn't identify with any of the characters and they all seemed a bit flat to me. But I learned a lot about growing grapes, so it all balances out. ...more
Linda
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
🍇Olivia faces some tough decisions and finds new family and friends in viticulture. Cheers!🍷
August 29, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
This cozy story of a forty-something divorcee exploring the new options that her Great Aunt Gloria has put in her path has its pluses and minuses for me. I felt the story started strongly and then got bogged down in the technicalities of running a vineyard. Olivia's odyssey through job insecurity, changing romantic partners and working out a formula to meet the require
Sue
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Olivia is stuck in a job that no longer thrills her, no real love life since her ex-husband left her, and is house poor. When a lawyer calls and summons her to his office, she soon finds out that she has 2 cousins she didn’t know about and a challenge to meet if they want to inherit Great Aunt Gloria’s vineyard.

If widow sixty-something Sue, lawyer in training twenty-something Nic, and 44-year old Olivia can work together and get the vineyard to produce grapes for a least one bottle of fizz, they
Jill Cohen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
It is rare that I do not finish a book, but after 158 pages, with only about 90 pages left, I just could not finish the book.

Let me start by saying that I generally do not read UK fiction. But I had heard so many good things about it, and this book was short and had good reviews I thought I would branch out a bit.

What made me stop reading the book really had nothing to do with it being UK based. The story dragged. For a book this short, there is no reason to drag. I usually find a book this len
Stephy De Troy
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
44-year-old Olivia Holmes is a divorcee and a city girl. She works at a private firm without much hope for growth. One day, she gets a call from a lawyer informing her that she and two other distant cousins have inherited a vineyard from their great aunt, Gloria. All these startled Olivia as she didn’t know she had an aunt or cousins.
Conditions of her aunt’s will force Olivia and newly-found cousins to take care of the vineyard in Kent. Will they be able to pull it off this herculean task?

I lo
Gabby
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Olivia Holmes has a less-than-stellar life. Divorced, in a job she doesn’t love, and a boyfriend whose willingness to commit is shaky, life just isn’t all that interesting.

Until she finds out she’s inherited a vineyard, along with two other long-lost cousins.

Stipulations attached to the will require her to produce wine, which she’s never done before. She goes from city girl to vineyard/country girl, learning more about herself and her family along the way.

Overall, the book was so-so. There we
Margaret
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh my word. I'm at 60% and I just can't take anymore. NOTHING has happened. Olivia still can't decide if she wants to quit the job she hates. She still can't decide if she should dump the married douche who is just using her for sex. She still can't decide if she likes the vineyard. She still can't decide... you get the picture. It just keeps plodding on with the same details of how horrible her life is, how unhappy she is and how bad of the condition the vineyard and house are in. Too depressin ...more
jane king
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Quite slow this book and lots of information about growing vines. Perhaps too much as this is supposed to be a novel after all, not a winemakers manual.
Olivia finds two long-lost cousins and they inherit a vineyard. So far so good but it plods along from there. Olivia has a boyfriend whom everyone can see is a total disaster but it takes most of the book for her to realise it. Why do so many books contain this theme at the moment, can authors not come up with original ideas? So, okay but not bri
Clara
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, it-was-okay
This was a fun read.
Olivia's actually a really amusing character.
There were several little bits of information that I did not particularly enjoy or think appropriate.
Olivia's earlier life is a rather sad and dismal one and it was really interesting to see the aftermath of inheriting. She had finally found a purpose and that was fun to read about.
So other than a few objectionable details
It was quite fun.
Correna
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

I went into this book wanting the same feeling that the film Under The Tuscan Sun gives me and it definitely has that quality. Although the pacing is not for anyone after high-risk adventure, this is an engaging and relaxing summer read. I appreciated the detail on Vines and Winemaking, it added to the sense of realism and helped me understand Olivia's experience with getting back to nature without glossing over the finer difficulties.
Miss Bernice
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't out it down

I was hooked by the title and then from the first page I related to Olivia, I understood her turmoil and was urging her in to take the risk. I wished to be in her shoes and loved that she found family and I loved that she spoke to Gloria. My only criticism... There's no sequel, I'm desperate to know how they get on and grow the business. My favourite book so far this year
johnanimalantics.net, Margaret G Conlan
Excellent

What an absolutely amazing wonderful book. It had me captivated all the way through with the different strands that ran through with each of the three main characters. However, what spoilt it for me was the swearing hence 4 stars. Stories in my opinion can and should be read without swearing, profanity and graphic sex scenes. Thankfully yours were tactful. A good dread.
Sandy Quinn
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story started rather slowly but like wine taste better as it aged. A lighthearted feel good read with a purposeful ending. If you're experiencing midlife crisis, this book might give you some inspiration or courage to step out of your comfort zone. It will be nice if the author comes up with a sequel on Olivia's progress in her new wine venture and relationship with Gus. ...more
Barbara
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Liz Duffy
Nov 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Lovely read.

Nice storyline, I just felt it was rushed in places and lacked depth and description. Scenes felt unfinished or glossed over, and emotional impact of events seemed lacking too. Definitely a book I’d choose to read based on the plot etc but I felt it just lacked a bit of polish.
Ann
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, hiddengem, pdf
This is a feel-good book for middle-aged women and wine lovers.
Olivia Holmes inherits a vineyard but it comes with some conditions. Now she and her newly found cousins have to learn how to make wine. But they also learn about family and life and what counts and that it is never too late.
Laura Campbell
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LIght and fruity

Enjoyed a light read yet learned several tidbits about wine. I will never drink a glass of wine the same. There is depth and work in each bottle. Thank you for the read
Louise Benoit
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read

The story about a women finding a special place for her self was wonderful told! Great characters that also found their way to happiness! Great story!
Alana Williams
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming

I really enjoyed this story and learning more about the wine industry in England. Sometimes you just want a heartwarming tale to make you feel good. Plus I always enjoy a good glass of bubbly.
Susan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A quick read. The real story about the inheritance and care of the vineyard was interesting with occasional glimpses of an emerging writer. However,the characters and occasional innuendos at love stories were annoying and immature.
Chris Haines
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Feel good book

What a grwat book to rwad during covid lockdown!

Full of positivity, well written, engaging characters. A bit predictable at times but even this doesn't take away from a good, enjoyable book. recommend it...
Charlotte Fay
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it

As a committed Francophile and Kent resident I absolutely loved this book. It was like being in France but at home in Kent, England. A really lovely and enjoyable read that warms the heart and makes you wish you had your own vines to wander through.
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was ok
Meh

I was in the mood for an easy read and from the blurb, thought this would hit the spot. Well, it was an easy read, but so easy that it didn’t grab my imagination and I felt I was trudging through the mud alongside Olivia trying to read it. Predictable and boring.
Michele M Barron
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life and Wine making

An enjoyable read. Good information regarding what goes on in the life of a vineyard and it's wine maker. Way more complicated than I ever thought.
Shari
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
V. Nice

A nice, simple read. It was a pleasant distraction from the true life disaster books I have been reading and from real life. I will try more from this author.
vickygoodwin
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it.

Was fascinated by all the facts of running a vineyard,enjoyable and full of facts.look forward to reading More of this author,s work.

• Secrets in Seabury
  • Welcome to Seabury (Seabury, #1)
  • Autumn Cuddles and Muddy Puddles (Little Bamton, #4)
  • The Coastguard's House Darling Island
  • Sandwiches in Seabury (Seabury, #4)
  • Winter at the Stables on Muddypuddle Lane
  • Starlight Cottage (Pepper Bay, #1)
  • Trouble in Seabury
  • Falling for a French Dream
  • A Summer Fair In Lily Vale Village (Lily Vale Village #2)
  • The Book Club In Lily Vale Village (Lily Vale Village #1)
  • Autumn at the Stables on Muddypuddle Lane
  • Family Ties at the Cornish Bakery (Escape To... The Cornish Bakery #5)
  • New Year at The Cornish Bakery (Escape To... The Cornish Bakery #3)
  • Valentine Kisses at the Stables on Muddypuddle Lane
  • Honeybee Cottage (Pepper Bay, #2)
  • Christmas Flings and Wedding Rings (Little Bamton, #5)
Over the past 20 years, I've written extensively for TV and radio (for children and adults).

When it comes to my books, adults will find humour with heart revolving around relationships, families, changing careers, moving home and growing up. Just the thing for fans of Nick Hornby, Helen Fielding, David Nicholls, Nick Spalding, Sue Townsend, Jon Rance and Mike Gayle.

For children, I write warm, hum