Start by marking “A Holiday By Gaslight: A Victorian Christmas Novella” as Want to Read:
A Holiday By Gaslight: A Victorian Christmas Novella

A Holiday By Gaslight: A Victorian Christmas Novella

A Dutiful Daughter

Sophie Appersett is quite willing to marry outside of her class to ensure the survival of her family. But the darkly handsome Mr. Edward Sharpe is no run of the mill London merchant. He's grim and silent. A man of little emotion--or perhaps no emotion at all. After two months of courtship, she's ready to put an end to things. After all, even a dutiful da
Published November 13th 2018 by Perfectly Proper Press

To ask other readers questions about A Holiday By Gaslight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Holiday By Gaslight

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 Victorian stars to a Holiday by Gaslight! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

When I saw that gorgeous cover, I wondered if the words inside would suit, and I’m thrilled to report they did. A Holiday by Gaslight is a delightful Victorian novella perfect for the holidays.

It’s no secret during Victorian times one had to marry within her class, and not doing so came with some risks. So is the story of industrious Sophie Appersett as she is courted by Mr. Edward Sharpe. Sophie’s baggage is that, while her family is titled a
Carrie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Can anyone guess what made me pick up this lovely little historical Christmas romance? If you guessed the stunning cover then you would be very much correct. And I know they say don’t judge a book by it’s cover but I always hope when I catch one like this that it does live up to it’s beauty.

Sophie Appersett comes from an upper class family however Sophie’s father has overspent the family fortune upgrading with the inventions of the times. Who could resist gas lines to your own homes or running w
Mellie Antoinete
****#earc thanks to #netgalley in exchange for a fair review***

This! This novella! ♥ ♥ ♥. Reading stories like this makes me appreciate what netgalley brings to the literary community - access to new, talented authors anxiously introducing new works into the reading world in the hopes your eyes will catch on that beautiful cover long enough to read the summary and hit request. (Boy, sounds a lot like eHarmony for books!!). Do it! Request this book! It’s a lovely holiday fling in the Dorsetshire
Erin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
I woke up to snow this October 20th morning and decided to turn to this Christmas novella. Well, Sophie and Ned won me over and I was highly entertained. I picked up on the Elizabeth Gaskell North and South undertones which the author acknowledges in her afterword. This little gem is soon leaving NetGalley. Type fast to request!

Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Expected publications November 2018
OLT
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 stars) Most HR Christmas novellas written in recent years are worthy neither of the H (historical) nor the R (romance) of the genre. They should instead be classified as AL for Anachronistic Lustfests. Some authors, such as Anna Campbell, used to write some good holiday fare but her last few Christmas novellas have been tailored to readers who like a little bit of hackneyed plot with a lot of lusty thoughts and pages of sex. For my Christmas reading fix, I have to reread my old Mary Balogh, ...more
Dianne
Do you see that cover? The beauty and atmosphere perfectly showcases the romance inside!

Like any dutiful, Victorian era daughter, Sophie is willing to marry for the financial assistance her family needs, but the handsome Edward Sharpe is too grim, too serious and too quiet for her. Sophie does what any strong-willed young lady would do, she breaks off their courtship, but was that a wise decision? Could there be more to Edward than she gave him credit for? Did she even give him a chance?

A simple
Tina

I saw the cover of this book and knew instantly I wanted to read it. I read the blurb and the Victorian Christmas story intrigued me. It's a novella so the book is pretty short and easy to read. It's a cute novel and very light hearted to read for the holiday season. The writing was nice and I enjoyed the odd references to popular Victorian people of the time.

Sophie is a Baronet's daughter. Her family is in need of money to fund her country estate. Her father has used her dowry so he co
Amy Bruno
After having read The Matrimonial Advertisement recently, I knew I needed another Mimi Matthews book STAT! Lucky for me Mimi released her novella, A Holiday by Gaslight, and happier I could not be to dive in.

When you read a Mimi Matthews book it's a given that you're going to get a fabulous story line, characters that will charm your socks off, and a sweet romance that will make you believe in love again. When it comes to romances in books I'm a pretty tough critic, but Mimi can write love bette
Sophia
I had to chuckle when I finished this lovely, sweet Victorian historical romance because from the beginning I got a North & South vibe from it (and I do love that classic by Elizabeth Gaskell) and, there, in the author's end remarks, she mentioned putting several N&S Easter eggs into the story. This reader was certainly delighted by the story and its tribute to a classic.

A Holiday By Gaslight was a lovely and swiftly read class difference romance that took place at a holiday country esta
Christina
What does a daughter of a nearly bankrupt baronet do when her father uses her dowry to make expensive improvements to the family country estate? Rather than encourage a courtship with a rich trademan she hardly knows, she breaks with the staid, handsome man saying that they do not suit! But after just a few days, she begins to second guess her rash decision and wonder if she hadn’t given the gentlemanly man an even chance. A Christmas party at her father’s estate sprinkled with a sweet conversat ...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This was such a charming, heart-warming romance – just the perfect start to my Christmas reading.

Sir William Appersett is virtually bankrupt, having squandered most of the family fortune, together with his eldest daughter Sophie’s dowry, on modernisations to Appersett House. With no male heir, he regards the house as his only enduring legacy. Now he and his wife have brought Sophie and her younger sister, Emily, to London in the hope of finding them wealthy husbands.

Edward (Ned) Sharpe, a draper
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, christmas
I gave this 5 bright Christmas stars! This story was wonderful. I’m completely in love with MM writing and I hope she never stops.

Oh, what a delightful Dickens Christmas feel I got when I sat down in front of my fake fireplace reading this. This was a very Victorian Christmas and it was sooo romantic. I loved all the characters in this one.
It very much reminded me of a Austin story. And of course MM writing is the best of “Chaste Romance” of any author I’ve read! I simply can not get enough. H
Mary
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A sweet story,dotted with shades of N&S, centred on the love story between Ned and Sophie.
Laurel
What better way to get yourself into the holiday spirit than with a Victorian themed Christmas romance. Set in the Dickensian London of the 1860’s, and in Mr. Darcy territory of Derbyshire, A Holiday by Gaslight, by Mimi Matthews offers everything that a Victorian-era Christmas love story should. A snowy Palladian country manor house to set the idyllic scene: holiday traditions of bringing family and friends together to celebrate by decking the halls, sleigh rides, and yule logs—all culminating ...more
Dana Michael
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas during the Victorian era. This novella was a fun read. The two main characters were from different sides of the social class. The heroine was of noble birth and the hero was a wealthy tradesman. I enjoyed seeing how their relationship developed and played out. I recommend for anyone who loves historical romance with a hea and appreciate a clean read as well. There are a few curse words in the story in case you are sensitive to that, but over all a treat to read.

*I was given a copy of t
Giedre
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
A solid Christmas historical that pays homage to Gaskell's North and South. I always end up reading at least a couple of Christmas romances, despite being ambivalent about them in general. This one was a rather pleasant surprise.
Flavia
Sophie Appersett is in a bit of a bind, as the sensible elder daughter of Sir Appersett it is her duty to marry into wealth but wealth in the heyday of Victorian Britain does not exclusively mean a gentleman of her social standing. Enter Mr. Edward Sharpe, a man as reserved (taciturn, Sophie might say) as he is darkly handsome, Ned Sharpe is drawn to Sophie's elegance and simplicity and, knowing that there are those who'd see the match between them as fortuitous to both parties, Ned begins to co ...more
Paige
This is a perfect Christmas novella! This is a charming, sweet, romantic historical romance to sink into. Set in Victorian England, the author notes that there are allusions to Elizabeth Gaskell's novel, North and South. Indeed, the hero, Ned, does give off some delicious John Thornton vibes. However, this is not a retelling and this story stands delightfully on its own. Readers will enjoy it whether or not they are aware of the nods to North and South.

This is truly an engaging story. If you are
The Lit Bitch
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely in love with this cover. The more I saw this book, the more I wanted to read it—even if it was just a novella. I was thrilled that I was able to get it in over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend so that I could start getting in the mood for more holiday reading.

This book was super shot (just over 100 pages) and I could easily have read it in one sitting, though it did take me two sittings, but only because I started it late at night. This was a quick, fun read full of Christmas che
Debbie Brown
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it, not-jaff
Such a delightful romance! Love Ned Sharpe, a wealthy manufacturer who works so hard to behave like a perfect gentleman as he courts a baronet's daughter. Love Sophie Appersett, the aforementioned daughter, who has been willing to entertain the idea of marrying this oddly silent man, knowing her father spent her dowry money on paying off estate debts and modernizing it by installing gas lines for lighting.

The book begins with Sophie telling Mr. Sharpe they don't seem to suit, and didn't he agree
This Victorian, Christmas novella takes place in London, England, during the Christmas holidays in 1861. If you can't picture the time period, think Queen Victoria, and the year Prince Albert passed away at a young age of forty-two years old. It was a time when progress was being pushed for, a time when railroads were cutting through countrysides and new inventions and commodities were being implemented into households at great costs, thus, the premise for this story: A Holiday by Gaslight.
I re
Lindsay
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Victorian Romance between a dutiful young and impoverished noblewoman and an wealthy up-and-coming merchant with humble origins who's taking all the wrong advice.

The courtship between Sophie Appersett and Edward Sharpe is faltering towards a failure, when the two resolve a last chance with a Christmas house party at Sophie's family estate. Sophie's efforts to protect her family has Edward falling for her while everything looks like falling apart.

Sophie and Edward are such practical people that
Jujubee
What a delightful find! New-to-me author Mimi Matthews' writing style is a breath of fresh air in my beloved historical romance genre.

I loved the opening chapters, which set the perfect tone, moodiness, and pacing of any classic Victorian-era doomed romance I've ever read *white-gloved, soft happy claps*

Then with expertly exquisite tension, Ned and Sophie's voices bloomed across the pages in dual POVs as they begin to find if they truly could ever suit.

I typically don't read chaste romances,
Frankie Reviews
My goodness, yet again I am blown away with the excellence that is Ms Mimi Matthews. I am a huge fan of her work – In fact, I have said that very sentence so many times, I’m sure that Mimi and everyone reading my reviews must be sick of hearing it, but I don’t care I am still going to shout it from the rooftops just how much I admire this fine lady’s work.

A Holiday By Gaslight is a wonderfully seasonal novella that will definitly leave the reader feeling all warm and Christmassy, set during the
Kate Olson
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful and well-researched Victorian romance. Loved the technological and Darwin references.
Lori D
This is a new author to me and when I saw the beautiful cover and title, I just had to read it! Set in Victorian England, we find our heroine, Sophie, knowing that she needs to marry for money. You see her father overspent trying to keep up with the times by putting in gas lines and running water in their home. I mean wouldn't you have done the same with these inventions to make life easier?
Sophie began a courtship with a tradesman, Ned Sharpe. But after a couple of months, it seemed they truly
Lena Goldfinch
I have a fondness for Christmas novellas, especially ones set in Regency or Victorian England. A Holiday by Gaslight by Mimi Matthews may very well take the place as my favorite. A perfect holiday treat for Victorian-loving romantics. Sophie and Ned's sweet romance is sure to steal your heart.
Veronique
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn’t read anything from Matthews before but this cover totally reeled me in :O)

As it happens, this novella proved to be a perfect little historical romance. The characters were well drawn, their voices capturing my interest. There are also quite a few shades of Gaskell’s North and South (one of my favourites!). It is however the setting that I really enjoyed. Matthews obviously likes her History and she portrays the Victorian era of 1861 nicely, paying extra attention to the bombshell that wa
Caroline
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Is there anything better than a Mimi Matthews novella? Maybe only a full-length novel, but I’m not complaining! Using Darwin, Prince Albert, domestic modernizations, and protagonists that actually speak honestly - candidly! - to one another, Matthews has created a beautifully inviting world that I wish to visit again. Such a world where characters can actually own up to their faults and humble themselves in apology is a lovely place, indeed.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher throu
Carolyn
I was smitten with Sophie and Ned from the beginning! Something about these unpretentious, straight-forward characters drew me in. The setting was just perfect for a Christmas romance with gaslight manors, evergreen, mistletoe, and a sleigh ride. And three holiday kisses to make a girl swoon. This is one of my favorite Christmas reads! I love the cover equally as much.
Mimi Matthews writes both historical non-fiction and traditional historical romances set in Victorian England. Her articles on nineteenth century history have been published on various academic and history sites, including the Victorian Web and the Journal of Victorian Culture, and are also syndicated weekly at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in California with h ...more
“I don't know if I can let you dance with anyone else. Not without kissing you first.” 1 likes
“I don't think Id have enjoyed it if you'd simply grabbed me and kissed me. A lady likes to prepare herself for such an event."

"Fair enough. Are the next nine days enough time to prepare yourself? Because, unless you very strenuously object, I intend to kiss you this Christmas.”
0 likes