Start by marking “The Sun Dog” as Want to Read:
The Sun Dog

The Sun Dog

#1 New York Times bestselling author Stephen King’s novella The Sun Dog, published in his award-winning 1990 story collection Four Past Midnight, now available for the first time as a standalone publication.

The dog is loose again. It is not sleeping. It is not lazy. It’s coming for you.

Kevin Delavan wants only one thing for his fifteenth birthday: a Polaroid Sun 660. There
Published December 4th 2018 by Scribner (first published September 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Sun Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sun Dog

Carol
Creepy, but NOT scary and a bit tedious.

But - I love Castle Rock stories and Yay!....there's a birthday party. Kevin is 15 and got just what he wanted....a brand spanking new Sun 660 Polaroid instant camera. Remember them?

But - Kevin's has a problem. After anxiously popping in the film and taking the first photo of his family....and birthday cake, the picture that shoots out is not of his family, but of something evil looking and he's scared of it....and of what the camera is doing.

But - As t

Gianfranco Mancini
Un racconto breve a metà tra I segugi di Tindalos (The hounds of Tindalos) di Frank Belknap Long ed un episodio de Ai confini della realtà (The Twilight Zone), ma anche dei Piccoli Brividi (Goosebumps) di R. L. Stine.
Notevole la sensazione di fine incombente che aumenta sempre di più andando avanti nella lettura e carina la citazione lovecraftiana di Arkham e Dunwich e quella Kinghiana di Cujo, che come già in passato mi ha spoilerato il finale di quel libro, molto differente dall'omonimo film
Paul Nelson
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
The Sun Dog is of course one of the novellas contained in Four Past Midnight and I read just this one as a bit of a prelude to my next King read, Needful Things. And this I have to say was awesome, it is the physically the size of a great deal of horror fiction these days but in the realms of the man himself, it's a tiddler at a shade over 200 pages. And the second in the Castle Rock trilogy.

The Sun Dog is a story about cameras and photographs, chilling in its entirety of impending doom, that's
Asghar Abbas
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's funny how these things happen. Quite recently I have been trying to rearrange my bookshelf. Well, if you can call alternating between being lethargic and simply not doing it, trying. I was going through all my books and I came across this anthology collection by the king, containing four well not really short stories, but rather novellas. Four of them.

I held this hardcover for a little bit in my hand, trying to curb the sudden bout of nostalgia, before putting it aside. I distinctively rem
George K.
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Τεσσαρακοστό πέμπτο βιβλίο του Στίβεν Κινγκ που διαβάζω, μόλις το δεύτερο φέτος. Σίγουρα δεν είναι και από τις πιο δυνατές στιγμές του Βασιλιά, αλλά, μεταξύ μας τώρα, ακόμα και τα πιο αδύναμα βιβλία του νομίζω ότι τα βάζουν άνετα με τα καλύτερα άλλων συγγραφέων. Τέλος πάντων, πρόκειται φυσικά για ένα πολύ καλογραμμένο και εθιστικό μυθιστόρημα (ή μεγάλη νουβέλα), με πλοκή που κρατάει τον αναγνώστη από την αρχή μέχρι το δυνατό φινάλε, αλλά και με σούπερ ατμόσφαιρα. Ο άτιμος ο θείος Στίβεν κατάφερε ...more
Sara Santos
4,5
Not as good as the other stories.
Chris
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting and creepy idea. A boy gets a new Polaroid camera for his birthday and every picture he takes has a spot on it. Like any normal person he wanted to know how to have it fixed. As he started to examine the pictures the spot began to take the shape of a dog and with each new picture the dog was coming closer and closer to front and center in the picture.

I was intrigued by this idea and was not disappointed. There was this creepy feeling of the picture watching you that
Mafalda Fernandes
It's a prequel to Needful Things and also related with The Dark Half
A true horror story, specially recommended if you're a fan of old Polaroids and are not afraid of dogs. Read at your own will.
David
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stories is not enough - I liked Langoliers in story form; the movie production failed to replicate some scenes effectively to scare the mind of the audience. The Sun Dog is also very interesting to read.
Robert Redden
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! By far my favorite Stephen King short story!!! ('Cept Shawshank Redemption of course!)
♥ Marlene♥
So far this is my least favourite of the SK books(stories) I've read these last 2 weeks.

That being said it was still a good read. I just liked the other 2 stories better.
Wardatul
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
What a disappointing read. In some parts, borderline awful.

The idea of this story is creepy, indeed – but this would've been better suited for a book written for R.L. Stine's kind of audience. The story just went ooooon and onnn I had to consciously restrain myself from screaming in public, "When will you fucking end?!" To me, it felt a little like The King was rambling in this novella. It didn't have the amazing storyline of 'The Langoliers', or even the coherent prospect of 'Secret Window'; it
Daniel
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty creepy novella by Stephen King standards. Definitely not as scary as some of his other short stories, but a cool concept that makes you think. The subject, photos that develop with some abnormality, is something we can all relate to. The idea that this phenomenon could be something of pure evil...well, that's another story.
georgina Prince
Some of my favourite king shirt stores especially the langoliers, possible his best short.
Cail
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this to-and-from Seattle this weekend. Straight-ahead horror story set in Castle Rock.
Britt
This one kinda gave me RL Stine/Goosebumps vibes but I still quite enjoyed it~ 👌🏻
David Veith
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. More of a suspense book with a supernatural twist, is what I mean to say (which was used over and over in the book!). Very fun though, and another good one from King.
Francesco
Non ho letto tutti e 4 i racconti...Sinceramente nulla di che, ma in ogni caso intrattiene!
Sarah Sammis
Jun 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Past Midnight contains four novellas by Stephen King. For the purpose of my book count, I'm counting each novella as a separate "book" and I'll be posting a separate review for each one.

"Sun Dog " is the final novella. Kevin receives a Sun 600 Polaroid camera for his birthday but there's something wrong with it. It only takes pictures of a dog — a vicious, blood thirsty, mouth full of teeth.

As with the best of King's stories, no one can explain why the camera only takes the photos of the "s
dennis046
Read in Dutch.

The second novella in the "Schemerwereld" bundle, The Sun Dog ("Spookfoto's"), entertained me a bit more than the first one. The book tells about a kid getting a Polaroid camera for his birthday, but the camera doesn't take normal pictures. Instead, it takes pictures of an evil dog, slowly coming closer with every taken picture.
The story reads more like a traditional horror story, similar to the ones I read a lot when I was a child (does anybody remember the Goosebumps series?). T
Jared
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella from Four Past Midnight. I had hopes for this since I usually like King, but for me it was just sort of blah.
The boy in the story gets a Polaroid Sun for his birthday and each time he takes a picture with it the photo that develops is not what he shot, but is instead a black dog. With each subsequent picture the dog moves a little more toward the camera.
It's an interesting concept, and the writing was good. It just didn't connect with me as much as I'd hoped. There are a coupl
Mark Soone
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My memory did not recall this book as vividly nor as high quality as this read found it to be!

A young boy gets a camera for his birth day, but it does not seem to work...Oh it works, just not the way he wanted.....all it does is take pictures of a snarling dog that gets closer and closer each picture it takes. Then it gets broken and/or stolen, but the dog just keeps coming....gotta check this one out!
Dave Fellows
3/5 stars. Firstly, I just need to make clear that this is only my (very short) review for FOUR Past Midnight: The Sun Dog. I have a separate review for 'The Langoliers', 'Secret Window, Secret Garden' and 'The Library Policeman'. My feelings on 'The Sun Dog' are summed up perfectly by one word: "Meh". Stephen King at his worst still beats many other authors at their best, though! Mustn't grumble - it was only a short story.
Captain Katie Scarlett
Out of the four stories in FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, this would be in fourth place. Not because it wasn't good. But the others I liked a little better. Kevin Delevan is gifted a Polaroid Sun 660 for his 15th birthday. Soon after, this tale takes a deep plunge into nightmares, hellish visions, and just a whole lotta problems ( is what I mean to say ). Won't give away any more. But definitely give this book a go.
Chris Miller
I thought this story was okay, but I didn't really care for the ending. I liked the characters and I was okay with the plot until the end. I just didn't buy into the camera putting Pop and Kevin under a spell. This seemed to make the story flow easier, but I didn't really understand why it was happening.

I would recommend this novella to King or horror fans.
Melissa Charitos
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond dit boek, in tegenstelling tot het derde deel van deze serie, echt ontzettend goed. Het verhaal bevat de juiste dosis spanning en humor, ik kan dit boek aan iedereen aanraden die van een beetje sci-fi houdt. Goed voor een aantal uurtjes leesplezier. Een sterretje minder door het open einde, daar houd ik niet zo van.
Mads
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, horror
I really liked this story tho the teasing was a little bit too much for me. At least in second half of this story author decided to give us answers quickly instead of writing few more chapters just to increase tension [which didn't work on me]. The ending was not something I really expected, but I was glad it ended up as it did. This is not one of my favorite stories, but I liked it.
Beth Gordon
I was not enamored with this one. It seemed tedious, I wasn't hip to the fantasy/sci fi elements, and I just wasn't feeling "it."

I'm going to continue plodding on with these novellas because I feel compelled to read them all, but thus far I haven't been impressed with this collection. I am usually such a fan of his, and I'm not sure why this collection isn't quite clicking with me.
Nicole Luiken
Note: Once again, my review is for the novella in Four Past Midnight, not the audiobook. I just like to review novellas separately.

King get a lot of mileage out of a fairly simple premise. The sleazy Pop Merill and his machinations ramp up the tension, taking away the easy solution to the problem.
George
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
It's an interesting concept, and the writing was good. It just didn't connect with me as much as I'd hoped. I was never scared of the "evil beast." Dragged a little in the middle. It is a nice and easy read and if you are a fan of horror stories. Almost predictable towards the end.
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
  • Misery
  • Memory
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel: Past Lives (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #21/Angel Comic #7 Buffy Season 4/ Angel Season 1)
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
  • The Lost Work of Stephen King
  • Dark Masques
  • Blackburn
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
“Every now and then someone will ask me, "When are you going to get tired of this horror stuff, Steve, and write something serious?"
I used to believe the implied insult in this question was accidental, but as the years go on I have become more and more convinced that it's not.”
0 likes