Start by marking “I Am a Tiger” as Want to Read:
I Am a Tiger

I Am a Tiger

When is a mouse not a mouse? When he's a tiger of course! This funny story is all about being who you want to be!
This is a story about a mouse with BIG ideas. Mouse believes he is a tiger, and he convinces Fox, Raccoon, Snake, and Bird he's one, too! After all, Mouse can climb a tree like a tiger and hunt for his lunch, too. And not all tigers are big and have stripes. But
Published July 30th 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Tiger

Start your review of I Am a Tiger
Tatiana
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this mouse is a supreme gaslighter.
Abby Johnson
A very confident mouse convinces the other animals around him that he is a tiger.
Abigail
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Illustrator Ross Collins
Shelves: mice, picture-books
A tiny mouse declares that he is a tiger, resisting all of the other animals' efforts to convince him otherwise. When a real tiger shows up, the mouse is not dismayed, still insisting on his own tigrine identity, and declaring that the tiger is actually a mouse. Then, coming to a local pond (or river?), the mouse decides he is (view spoiler) instead...

Having enjoyed a few of Ross Collins' own books - There's a Bear on My Chair ,
Alex  Baugh
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was a lot of fun, and my young readers loved the surprise ending.
Cassie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-books
I so love this delusional, confused little mouse! My favorite part is when the mouse is saying, incorrectly, the names of other animals for example, for snake he says, "Thin. Pointy. Hangs in tree. This is a BANANA."! Bahahaha! It was hard for me to read at storytime because I laugh my head off every time!
Sylvia
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The kids had a lot of fun with this book. I think the older ones had second hand embarrassment for the mouse!
The ending was a fun surprise that had all the kids face-palming.
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Um, I loved this. It's just so silly.
KDV
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm looking forward to reading this with preschool groups -- funny story with big, clear illustrations. Perfect for storytime.
Syntha Green
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be great for story time
Tasha
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very confident little mouse declares that he is actually a tiger. The other animals don’t believe him at first, but he manages to demonstrate that he can growl like a tiger, climb trees like a tiger and even hunt for his lunch. When a real tiger comes along, the mouse declares that the tiger is a mouse! After all, the tiger has a twitchy nose, little hands and feet, and probably ate cheese recently. Mouse continues to show that he has all sorts of tiger-like skills. The defeated real tiger ask ...more
Barbara
This one is a 3.5 for me, and I simply adore the confidence and assurance of this mouse. When the mouse boldly declares that he's a tiger, the other animals disagree, quickly pointing out the characteristics of a tiger that he is missing. But that doesn't stop him, and the mouse keeps asserting his identity as a tiger. Even when a real tiger prowls onto the page, the mouse confuses him and makes him think that he's a mouse. After identifying the other animals as something other than what they ar ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
I Am a Tiger by Karl Newson, illustrated by Ross Collins. PICTURE BOOK. Scholastic, August 2019. $18. 9781338349094

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

A small creature it determined that it is a tiger. It has the tail, it can climb a tree, it can hunt for its lunch. When a real tiger comes along, it convinces that it is actually a mouse. And the raccoon is a caterpillar and the snake is a banana.

Welcome to the absurd
Bookish
Mouse is utterly convinced he's a tiger, so convinced, in fact, that he's convincing to Snake, Raccoon, Fox, and others. No stripes? No problem. Too small? Some tigers are on the small side.

But what to do when a real tiger shows up? Mouse isn't to be dissuaded, and his fresh perspective on his friends' classifications is as charming as his own strong sense of self.

A lovely read-aloud picture book that encourages young ones to be comfortable in their own skin. Whether it h
Laurie Hnatiuk
Aug 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture
This book had me at the beginning - a small mouse is so confident that he is a tiger he stands strong in his convictions even when other animals confront him and point out the differences between the mouse and a tiger. Sticking to his beliefs he disclaims each challenge and ends with a forceful "I am a tiger." When a tiger appears, the mouse confronts the tiger by laughing at it and calling it a mouse. And this is where the story loses me. This turn changed my opinion of the story for me and was ...more
zapkode
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – This is a super cute book about a mouse that claims to be a tiger. As you are reading through the pages every animal he encounters he tells that he is a tiger and then he tells them that they are some other animal or object.

I enjoyed reading this book as it helps to show children that it is okay to have an imagination. I enjoyed the illustrations as they went nicely with the words within the pages of the book.

I think that this should be a must have book fo
Sandra
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Torn between the awesomeness of the confidence and the quirky way of showing that categorization can be a little arbitrary, but iffy on the whole what I say matters and messing with what the other animals think they are.

Maybe just something sensitive about that in the fake news era where the world is being destroyed by people with this kind of baseless conviction?
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very funny--the illustrations are expressive and cute. A little mouse insists that he is actually a tiger (and refuses to be convinced otherwise). He goes on to explain how all the other animals are actually various other things, too (a balloon, a caterpillar, a lollipop, etc). When a real tiger comes, Mouse remains unconvinced.
Kristin
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The books consists completely of dialogue - mainly from a mouse arguing why the mouse is a tiger, but it’s a little hard to tell which animal is speaking. However, the things the mouse decides each animal is - a banana, a lollipop, etc.- and the reason for it will delight early elementary kids who know better.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Kindergarten
Animals: Mouse, Tiger

One stubborn little mouse has no doubt in his mind that he is a tiger. Even when an actual tiger appears, the mouse talks the tiger into submission. Solid backgrounds, humor, and a cast of characters will make this perfect for an all-ages storytime.
Ryan
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do you know who you are? Are you sure you are not a tiger. A little mouse is absolutely positive that he is a tiger. His friends try to tell him differently, but he is sure in his convictions. This book just just fun. Not only what the mouse believes, but how they see others as well. Its funny and well illustrated, and sure to be a story time staple.
Stevo Brock
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a Best of the Best for the month of July, 2019, as selected by Stevo's Book Reviews on the Internet. You can find me at http://forums.delphiforums.com/stevo1, on my Stevo's Novel Ideas Amazon Influencer page (https://www.amazon.com/shop/stevo4747) or search for me on Google for many more reviews and recommendations.
Mrs. Mazzola
2.5, bumped up to 3 for the bright and engaging illustrations. The story made me uncomfortable. It felt like it was supposed to be funny, but the mouse was simply unlikeable, repeatedly making other animals feel bad about themselves and question their own sense of self to satisfy his delusion. Maybe I was grumpy when I was reading, but I just did not enjoy it.
Anthony
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A silly tale of a mouse who roams the jungle convincing all the other animals that he is a tiger. Everyone is just about convinced until a real tiger shows up. Will the tables be turned on the little mouse by the real tiger?
Dana Storytime Account
This mouse--sorry I mean tiger--is very silly and I can imagine kids having a lot of fun with this book, especially with a good story teller who uses animal voices for each of the animals. This is definitely one I would recommend for a story time book, it leads itself in to interaction as well.
Pam
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Newson shares the story of a mouse who thinks he is a tiger. He even convinces the tiger that he is a mouse. Humor on every page for youger elementary readers. At the end, the mouse sees himself in the pond and realizes he is not a tiger - he is a crocodile.
Rosan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
When a mouse can convince a tiger that in fact they are each other, then you have the gist of I Am A Tiger. Funny. Whimsical. Mouse has the persuasive power to believe in dreams and be someone else. Bright colorful illustrations. Great read aloud for younger children.
PWRL
Oct 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, kids-books, 2019
This book was super silly. It was a lot of fun to read.
Brittany
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
That little mouse is glorious. Loved!
Bella
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Plucky character to show alternative ways of perceiving the world!

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • Max Attacks
  • This Book of Mine
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
  • Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer
Karl Newson writes for the children’s book blog The Mudwaffler and contributes to The Creative Attic, an online publication of illustrated poetry. For All the Stars Across the Sky is his debut picture book. He lives in England.