Start by marking “Truly Madly Royally” as Want to Read:
Truly Madly Royally

Truly Madly Royally

Fiercely independent and smart, Zora Emerson wants to change the world. She's excited to be attending a prestigious summer program, even if she feels out of place among her privileged, mostly white classmates. So she's definitely not expecting to feel a connection to Owen, who's an actual prince of an island off the coast of England. But Owen is funny, charming...and unden ...more
Paperback, Point Paperbacks, 289 pages
Published July 30th 2019 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Truly Madly Royally, please sign up.
Namrata I would think it would be for teens at the age of 12+, because of the themes.

Start your review of Truly Madly Royally
Cristina Monica
If royal romances make you squee and swoon, this one’s for you. It is a lovely, wish-fulfilling type of story that will fill your heart with hope and wonder and make you wish for your very own Owen. (See what I did there? :D)

Debbie Rigaud’s writing and narration styles reminded me of Kasie West’s, seeing that both authors are straight-forward, eloquent, emphasize dialog over description and both are great at developing heroines and love-interests that appeal to teenagers.

But while both authors s
Vicky Again
I LOVED Zora who was such a queen but the love interest Owen was boring. For a prince, he was so...drab. Meh. No chemistry. Zora deserved better. Owen, summed up, was just...polite. He wasn't really charming. He wasn't anything remarkable.

Zora is still awesome though, so read it for her!!!

Still cute & v underrated. Good lower YA reading rec!
Tatiana
I have nothing much to say about this. Put this romance into the hands of its target audience - your elementary or middle school reader obsessed with royalty - the story is tame, proper, inoffensive and cheesy. I was going to compare this book to Disney movies, but on second thought, those movies are actually more fun.

Book club fail #million.
sofia
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as tbr-2019-releases
i'm a simple woman. if the love interest is royalty, i'm interested.
Emma
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.75 Stars

Full review here

If you’re in the mood for a lovely royal romance this is the perfect book for you! I deeply enjoyed reading from Zora’s perspective. She’s truly witty and knows what she wants. Her program for little kids was such a great idea to include in the book.
Owen was another great character that I loved reading about, I liked how he talked about the royal family and his life back
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

I have always been a fan of books about royalty, so I was naturally drawn to review Truly Madly Royally, which follows a girl who falls for a prince while studying at a prestigious college.

The book is a quick read for summer, and I enjoyed how it depicts what it is like to suddenly be in the media’s eye. As well, there are social issues discussed, such as race as Zora’s classmates are mostly white and privileged, which make the story more meaningful.

Zora is also a
Rec-It Rachel
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE IM GIGGLING
Ms. Woc Reader
I read the description months ago and it peaked my interest. As a preteen to teen I read a few of The Princess Diaries books and Royally Jacked books. I'm so used to this meeting a prince fantasy being played out by cute little white girl from an average town who isn't particularly extraordinary. I've never seen a story like this with a black girl lead so that was exciting. I was also familiar with the author from her books when I was a teen. She did a story on the Kimani Tru print of Harlequin ...more
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Cute and fun and exactly what I wanted. Truly Madly Royally was an insanely quick read that was just fun. The romance was cute, I liked seeing Zora's family, and I really enjoyed to focus on philanthropy. A perfect cute, fun sumemr read.
Samantha (WLABB)
It's part Princess Diaries, part The Prince & Me, part Will & Kate & Harry & Meghan, and part wholly its own. Together, it added up to a delightful and charming royal romance.

I sort of insta-loved Zora. She grabbed my attention with her sharp wit and humor, but kept me there with her drive, ambition, and huge giving heart. Her love and personal investment in her community was touching and inspiring, and I really delighted in reading about all her service projects and seeing her in action.

Her fam
Shorouk Abd Elhamid
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Ow this was cute. I liked the couple and the story .

The book is divided into two parts for me. The first 40% and that was an easy part to read but a weak one. I didn't get enough of any side of any of the characters.They were surface level and I was upset about feeling like that.

The second part was a lot better.It wasn't just because they became a couple but because we got to see the details. We got more of the African representation that I liked alot.Also, we saw more of the volunteer
|| Soph ||
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
DID SOMEONE SAY ROYALTY?!

THIS BOOK IS IN MY HANDS IM SCRAMING

—-

post read

***

AW THIS WAS CUTE AGAHAHSHSHA.

pros:

- interracial couple + the MC is black? heck yes.

- hallmark movie vibes bro. take that as however you want to.

- sometimes i would just made me grin my face off while reading this.

- zora is a great character.

- decently quick read.

cons:

- remember what i said about the hallmark movie thing? well, that was half-pro-half-con. the dialogue has a cringey feel, and i couldn’t help but *yawn*.
miri the dreamer
Ah! This sounds like a fun romp.
Bri
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute.
Jazmen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Truly Madly Royally was a cute-ish read that lacked a certain something to take it fully over the edge.

Zora is a modern day activist, socialist and do-gooder.

Zora is attending a prestigious college to prepare for (possible) attendance in the fall. While doing this she manages a community program, fully built on the back of an idea she came up with—to better her community.

She’s also in prep to receive awards for her work and grants (hopefully *fingers crossed) to fund her program dutifully called
Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks)
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yikes that was awful. I just read through a bunch of reviews and they're all 3-5 stars. Did we read the same book?

I'm a sucker for a good royal love story, but this was not it. It was boring, the characters were flat (ALL of them), and it was somehow rushed and slow at the same time.

The book beats you over the head with how good Zora is. Really. She's really good. Like, really good. She created her own kids program (which in all honesty DID sound cool and sounds like something that is actually
Mari Johnston
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

If a fast-paced, adorable, funny book that you can get through in a single summer afternoon is what you’re looking for, then Truly Madly Royally by Debbie Rigaud is exactly what you need!

So many things happened within this book’s 300 pages, but it never felt like anything was moving too quickly. The pacing was perfect and helped keep things from dragging on too long or getting stale. Every page was fresh and exciting.

Zora
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya, ya-contemporary
TRULY MADLY ROYALLY is one of those super cute and fun contemporary romances that leave readers with a smile. The protagonist has spunk and heart, and who definitely steals the show in this story. A definite recommendation for YA romance readers!

Oh my! How I just loved Zora!! She was such a fabulous heroine and definitely someone I would love as a best friend. I loved all her quirks, that she's super smart, but especially her determination to make a difference. Her meet-cute with Prince Owen was
Chandra
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was super cute! What can I say I am a sucker for the “oh my gosh you’re a royal” trope! The book also felt very relevant/current given the lovely Prince Harry & Duchess Megan. I recommend it if you want something romantic, sweet, and thoughtful! ...more
Jackie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-authors
this was SOOO cute! who doesn’t love a good royalty romance

rep: #ownvoices Black mc
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars ★★★★
Truly Madly Royally is a YA Royal romance, perfect for summer!

Truly Madly Royally ARC Review 👑💘

Zora's summer gets a bit more interesting when her chance encounter with a boy in the library during her pre-college program, quickly puts her into the spotlight, because as it turns out, he's actually a prince! From its focus on characters, to a sweet summer romance, Truly Madly Royally is a fun debut filled with heart!

I'd been looking forward to Rigaud's debut because I don't o
Stacy Fetters
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Your community is your family. You never walk alone."

What drew me to this book was obviously the most adorable cover and the quirky title. Then I read the synopsis and I was ready for this. Who doesn’t love a royal romance with the most incredible meet cute?

This book was one of the sweetest and cutest things that I’ve ever read. I couldn’t help but have a smile on my face the entire time. This was more than just a cutesy romance with a young lady from New Jersey and a Prince from across the po
Toni Shiloh
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome read. I will definitely read more books by Ms. Rigaud.
Chloe Hall
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Felt like Prince William and Harry had a brother and this is his love life.......
Sophie
Truly Madly Royally was a book that fell below my radar for so long, and it was actually in the back of another book by the same publisher when I first learnt of it. We have Zora who has overcome her less well off background to gain a scholarship to one of the most prestigious summer schools in the country. Being one of the only black students there, and one who commutes in daily, Zora feels like a fish out of water with all of the over privileged white students she's studying with. One day in t ...more
Moc Mandex
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.4/5

I actually really liked this book, it was a great summer book that was very light and nostalgic for me. It had major princess diary vibes for me which is why I continued reading it. Zora is in my opinion a very well and thoroughly developed character. The issue that I had was that she was too well developed, in other words she was a little too perfect. There were never any scenarios when Zora had to be tested, which I found a bit disappointing.
Owen also had a really good development, he h
Allana
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Zora as a person and the fact that she had such cool aspirations and was really passionate about helping her community grow and thrive. I love that she knew who she was and wasn't afraid of being true to herself and her values. Owen was cute, I kind of wish we could have gotten to know him even more but I enjoy that he was so genuine with Zora. I also enjoyed that he actually took interest in the things that she was interested in, especially in regards to her love for african american ...more
Kim Baccellia
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, light romantic tale where a protagonist of color meets a prince while attending an elite summer program. What I really loved about this tale is how Zora is strong, goal oriented, and not someone to wait for a guy to sweep her off her feet. Hints of Megan Markle meets Prince Harry.
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Endlessly charming, positive, and funny, a hometown rom com with a twist!
Namrata
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute and fun book in general. Easy to read, and makes me feel pretty good. Recommend to ya-romance lovers!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Maybe This Time
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • Eyes on Me
  • What I Like About You
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Sorry Not Sorry
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • How the Light Gets In
  • The Bookworm Crush
YA author Debbie M. Rigaud began her writing career covering news and entertainment for magazines. She’s interviewed celebs, politicians, social figures and “real” girls. Her writing has appeared in Seventeen, CosmoGIRL!, Essence, J-14, Trace, Heart&Soul and Vibe Vixen, to name a few. Her first YA fiction writing was published in the anthology HALLWAY DIARIES (KimaniTru Press/September 2007). Her ...more

Articles featuring this book

Dhonielle Clayton is a YA author, a 2018 Goodreads Choice Award nominee, and the chief operating officer of We Need Diverse Books, a ...