Start by marking “Secrets of a Fangirl” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Fangirl

Secrets of a Fangirl

Sarah Anne loves lacrosse, and the MK Nightshade series that everyone was obsessed over in grade school. The problem is that she's still obsessed, which is way too nerdy for a popular kid like her. So she hides her geekiness with a set of rules meant to keep her geek and jock selves separate.

Except when she's offered a spot in a Nightshade fandom contest, where the winner
Published May 28th 2019 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Fangirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Fangirl

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Hello, my name is Sophia, and I am a fangirl of many forms. A book with the word "fangirl" on it? YES PLEASE. You know you have my attention.

Secrets of a Fangirl  is a book about a fangirl.
AKA ME! And you, because you've got to be obsessed with something here. Maybe it's over a book or a show or even a movie.

(Are there secrets? Yes, but not
Candyce Kirk
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Secrets of a Fangirl is a middle grade book that I read in one sitting. This author knows how to suck you in from the start. I guess it helps being a fangirl myself, that I love when characters are also in a fandom and love everything about it. On top of that, this book addresses some really serious subjects, that this age group may deal with: bullying, accepting yourself, friendships, finding where you belong and accepting the things you love.

Sarah Anne is a big fan of the MK Nightshade series,
Laura Gardner
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to author @erinmdionne and @scholasticbooks for the free book to share with @kidlitexchange! This book is out May 28!

If you're looking for a super fun read that also addresses bullying, being yourself and misogyny, this might be it. Secrets of a Fangirl is a solid book about the trials of middle school friendships and the struggle of maintaining popularity when you have an inner geek trying to escape. Sarah Anne is obsessed with the MK Nightshade series and knows it so well that she's
Isabelle
May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Isabelle by: Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Ms. Yingling
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Sarah Anne is an enormous fan of the books of MK Nightshade, so much so that she wins a local trivia contest and gets to compete on a panel. She completely routs the two teen boys, Chris and Ethan, who are also on the panel, since she knows the books as well as the movies. Since she is dressed in pink and a girl, however, the moderator doesn't give her equal time, and poo-poos her knowledge, even saying that her father helped her to win the contest. Sarah Anne (who goes
Kirsti Call
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of a Fangirl is wonderfully crafted, well written and compelling. Erin Dionne captures teenage angst and the desire to fit in and juxtaposes that with a true passion and knowledge of the MK Nightshade Universe. Popularity vs. Geekdom. Is there even a question?

I love how Sarah Anne struggles to hide who she really is so that she can keep popular friends who she has nothing in common with. Feeling different and hiding those differences is something that many teens struggle with--and authe
Olivia Farr
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
SECRETS OF A FANGIRL is a fun contemporary middle grade about embracing yourself for who you are and what you love. Sarah Anne is one of the popular girls in middle school and a star lacrosse player. Her best friend told her a few years before that she couldn’t like MK Nightshade anymore, so Sarah Anne has created some rules to separate herself from the fandom which she still adores. In fact, she is such a big fan that she has won a contest to be on a panel.

At the panel, Sarah Anne is talked ove
Andrea
Jun 14, 2019 is currently reading it
Plot
Sarah Anne is popular, plays lacrosse, and has a secret life of loving a book series that she and her friends all loved in elementary school. When she wins a contest, she starts pulling away from her two best friends in order to keep her fangirl life secret. Jess D., a new mean girl, joins their group, and Sarah Anne's popularity and status is questioned by her. It doesn't help that a boy has a crush on Sarah Anne, and the group leader, Roxy, really wants her to go so Roxy can go with the gu
Bethany
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Anne is the biggest fan of the MK Nightshade series, but it's taboo in the popular world of her high school. As one of the popular girls, she has to hide the geek in her to avoid being made fun of. She also doesn't want to risk losing her best friend Roxy, especially since Jess D starts hanging around. Jess is shoving a wedge between Roxy and Sarah Anne, so it makes Sarah even more fearful of her secret.

When Sarah wins a contest for the MK Nightshade series, she's entered to win tickets to
Kayla (booksandbloomies)
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Before I jump into my review, I want thank the publisher  and The FFBC for providing me with a spot on this blog tour and an ARC in exchange for this honest review.*

Sarah Anne wants to be cool, I mean she is cool! But she wants to stay cool, she doesn't want anything jeopardizing that and her best friend can't know about her passion. But when she enters a contest which needs her to do more things that put her "geek" on full display.

I really enjoyed this book. The author captured the feelings of
Kate Waggoner
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
@KidLitExchange #partner

Thank you to the @KidLitExchange network and the publisher for the advance copy of Secrets of a Fangirl by Erin Dionne. All opinions are my own.

I absolutely loved this middle grades novel. It focuses on topics and themes that many middle schoolers have to deal with: peer pressure, fitting in, and being true to yourself. Sarah Anne likes lacrosse, hanging out with her best friend Roxy, and the MK Nightshade series and realm. Roxy also used to enjoy the MK Nightshade fando
Mari Johnston
Jun 03, 2019
Brook
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about fandom, fitting in and having the guts to be who you really are no matter the consequences.
Mountain18
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
i like this book
EmmaP
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
There are going to be some spoilers, so read at your own volition.

This story tells of the dual life of our protagonist, Sarah Anne, being cool and being an encyclopedia of knowledge for her favorite book series.

The longer she goes in the competition, the harder it is for her to keep going as two different people and the split lives cannot stay distant and start to bleed.
Jun 11, 2019
Colleen
Jun 10, 2019
Davianna
May 14, 2019
Katniss Everdeen
Jen Petro-Roy
Loved, loved this! Sarah Anne is so real and inspirational .
Tradition54
Ayden
Jun 07, 2019
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2019
I write books for tweens, teens, and anyone who survived junior high.

Please note: I have changed my review policy. I'll no longer be using the star rating system--I'm an author, not a reviewer or editor, and I'd rather support other authors by not ranking their books. I write honest (brief) reviews for each book I read, so please look to those to find out what I loved.