Start by marking “I Wish You All the Best” as Want to Read:
I Wish You All the Best

I Wish You All the Best

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  8,448 ratings  ·  2,105 reviews
An alternate cover edition for 9781338306125 can be found here.

When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husband, Thomas, whom Ben has never even met. Struggling with an anxiety disorder compounded by their parents' rejection, they come out only to
Published May 14th 2019 by Push

·  8,448 ratings  ·  2,105 reviews

Start your review of I Wish You All the Best
Chaima ✨ شيماء
The beginning of I Wish You All the Best jarred me. It kicked up a riot of emotions; each word a lash, wrenching out your breath and dealing blows to your insides. Benjamin De Backer, buoyant with hopes of swift acceptance, is planning on coming out as non-binary to their parents. The reader is spared the immediate fallout—but the imagination conjures up enough horrors. What we see is Benjamin’s life as if held aloft by their own hand, and in an instant, it spun away from them. Benjamin, ...more
Mason Deaver
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I wrote this book, so my review is probably biased?

Either way... this is the book of my heart, I never thought people would believe in this story, but I've never been happier to be so, so, so wrong. This book may be the closest I get to writing myself. It deals with anxiety, depression, coming out and identity, and first love, and it's absolutely so important to me.

I hope you all enjoy it when you get the chance to read it.
Kai
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Don't ignore the problems. Learn from them. But also don't knock what you get right. Every success deserves a celebration."

Oh the feeling of mile-high expectations actually being fulfilled: pure bliss. I have waited so long for this book to be released and it checks every single box. A wonderful, emotional, important and romantic read.

I Wish You All the Best tells the story of Ben, who is nonbinary, who prefers the pronouns they & them, who, after coming out to their parents, is kicked out
Alice Oseman
A soft, sweet, and incredibly important story about a non-binary teen finding their voice. This book is going to be so important to so many people.
Chloe
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was a powerful read about identity, complex family issues and more. i loved it so much. it was pretty hard for me to read since it was a little triggering (the anxiety and depression rep is so accurate) so i had to read it slowly, but this story means a lot to me and i know it means a lot to so many others too, especially non-binary teens. i highly recommend it!

cw: anxiety, depression, child abuse, misgendering, homophobia
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I am finally going to be able to read Mason’s book. CAN YOU BELIEVE??!

Update after reading - December 3rd, 2018
*4.5/5
This book has not been undersold in the least. It is heartfelt, loving, difficult, and wonderful in every way. Becky’s blurb isn’t lying - it is indeed quietly groundbreaking and will, without a doubt, save lives. Prepare yourselves for an incredible, beautiful debut in 2019, friends.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
This was suUuUuUuUuch a great read. I learned so much and also just fell head over heels for these characters. What an important book!

TW: misgendering, homophobia, anxiety, depression
✨    jamieson   ✨
"whatever happens, I wish you all the best, Ben De Backer

THIS WAS EVERYTHING. This is such a groundbreaking YA book following a non-binary teen that is genuinely going to change lives. It was sadder than I expected, with more of a family focus rather than romance, but I really loved what it was doing and how it covered so much in such a short time.

Ben was a great main character, I liked that their reactions seemed realistic for the situation, and I felt they were a character that 'existed'
Lola
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of story that could change your life.
Larry H
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, YES. I loved this book so much!

Ben De Backer has finally decided it's time they come out to their parents as nonbinary. While Ben knows their parents, particularly their father, are difficult and have strong religious beliefs, in the end Ben thinks that their parents should be okay with their coming out. Ben is their child after all, right?

Ben couldn't have been more wrong. Their parents kick Ben out of the house and with nowhere to turn, not even shoes on their feet, Ben turns to
C.G. Drews
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Am so here for books that quietly open the door to my heart and then yell "I'M NEVER LEAVINGGGG". Because yes. This book. Yes. It was so heartfelt and vulnerable, with characters I quickly decided I'd die for (I am nothing if not lowkey, obviously) and so many scenes that made me want to cry (in the best possible way).

I just...I sincerely think everyone should read this, ok? Like I say that for so many books, but not only am I internally screaming because I just love it as a book and story, but
Kayla Dawn
I initially rated this 4 stars but after reading a few reviews I changed my mind..

I enjoyed the overall story a lot but the side characters were all incredibly boring and have little to no personality (except for Mariam but even they didn't really get much. Whenever Ben talked to them it was always about Ben's problems. From what we got to see it felt like a pretty one-sided friendship to me tbh)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, anxiety, 2019
"Sometimes the world is too loud."

I loved this book so, so, so, so, SO much. Knowing this book will mean so much to non-binary folks (teens especially!) fills my heart with so much happiness. Thank you for this beautiful story, Mason! <3
Gabby
This book is important. This is the first book I've ever read with a non-binary main character and even better that it's written by a non-binary author. I learned so much from this book about what it means to identify as non-binary and I am very happy I read this, and I am so happy this book was published because I feel like a lot of people will relate to this book and find comfort in this book. As for my personal reading taste though, I thought this story was okay.

This story follows Ben who
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get a copy of this book?

It's all over my feed and I've been dying to read this for ages!
The only way to buy it is through Amazon though and it costs about EUR 15 over there plus a parcel fee of 3 Euros. Not to mention that it's a hardcover. *sighs*

Does anyone know if there will be an e-book version one day or at least a paperback?
Because every time I see this on my feed I'm dying once again. *lol*

P.S: I asked the author and will share their answer on
Lily ☁️
I need new words for “disappointment”, because there don’t seem to be nearly enough to cover all the various shades of it that befall me owing to a myriad of books (including this one, if my words weren’t pointed enough).

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr |Bloglovin’
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
4.5

Honestly words will not be able to describe how much I love this book and how important it is. Why is it 4.5 instead of 5 then? Small quibbles. A couple things I wish were a bit more fleshed out (but I didn't dislike at all, just wanted more) and some "you know you are 18...right?" moments.

Also something that is very much a me thing in that I got sad at parts that shouldn't have been sad. Because I am non-binary but I am also disabled and can not live on my own because of physical
Emma
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The ARC of this book was provided by Scholastic via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

I think this book is going to mean so much for so many people.
First of all, I think it's important to say that this book is own voices so the author surely knows what they are talking about.
This book tells the story of Ben, a teenager who identifies as non-binary. After coming out to their parents Ben is kicked out of their home. Thankfully their sister Hannah takes them in and
Iris
This book was... wow. I don't even have words for this book. It was fantastic. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and so so so important. I cannot recommend it enough.
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
disclaimer: i received an ARC in exchange for an honest review, this in no way impacted my review.

trigger warnings: rejection from parents after coming out (challenged), panic attacks

Finally, after my third time reading this brilliant gift to the young-adult world, I can share my review of I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver.

I Wish You All the Best is a young-adult contemporary about Ben De Backer, a non-binary teen who is thrown out of their house after coming out to their parents, who
Dylan
4.5 stars.

I LOVED this. Great representation, pacing, and I haven't shipped two people together in such a long time!

This is 4.5 for me though because for some reason, while the writing is great, I felt myself not feeling as emotionally attached to the characters as I'd like to be, but I'm positive that the very minor problem will fixed in Mason's second novel.

This is SUCH an important novel (it being the first own voices non-binary experience I've ever read), and Deaver will soon be an even
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
The representation in this book makes my soul so warm.
I am dating a non-binary person and seeing this book made them so happy.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS SO WHOLESOME OMG. such good non-binary rep, but also a super cute romance and a really emotional family story
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, quick contemporary exploring so many different aspects of a teenager’s life when their world is constantly changing. Ben is such a sweetheart who deserves the world, and Nathan is one of the kindest love interests I’ve ever read about. I’m so proud of Mason for writing this book after being friends with them online for so many years and seeing how hard they worked to create this story.

This is going to give so much hope to other nonbinary teens, and I wish them all the best in
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I read this one twice already and i can tell y'all it's a game changer.

Get on it !!!!!
Hollis
I'm leaving this one unrated because I honestly don't know what to give it. In so many ways it's such an important and relevant read and I'm so happy this'll be out in the world soon and that people will see themselves in it or identify with aspects of the journey described within. But at the same time.. it's not happy, it's often hard, and it's far from your typical fluffy YA -- which, to be fair, was something I knew going into this so I'm not throwing shade or anything; and not that I need ...more
Ava
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book twice already and I can say with great confidence that I'll be rereading it many times in the future. It is THAT good.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
This was an easy read about a tough subject.

I can't imagine how hard it is to feel the way Ben did in the story, but I had a hard time connecting with them, and honestly they seemed pretty ungrateful towards Hannah, and that really bugged me (that just might be the older sister side of me talking though). I did really love Nathan... he was the highlight of the story for me.
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
“So, we’ll sit here in silence?”
“I’m cool with that, the world is too loud sometimes.”

FORMAT READ: Audiobook (Recommended)
SIMILAR VIBES: The Hate U Give, Eliza and Her Monsters, What If It’s Us
READ FOR: a Sherlock Holmes spin-off
TW: genderphobia/homophobia, abuse
READING LEVEL: Level 1-2 out of 5

MY BLOG
*All my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

OVERALL THOUGHTS: 4/5

The book features a non-binary character and the commentary about gender awareness was so
YA LGBT Books: * June 2019 BotM - I Wish You All the Best (poss spoilers) 15 76 Jul 27, 2019 04:15PM

• The Music of What Happens
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Birthday
  • Like a Love Story
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Bloom
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
Mason Deaver is a non-binary author and librarian in a small town in North Carolina where the word ‘y’all’ is used in abundance.

When they aren’t writing or working, they’re typically found in their kitchen baking something that’s bad for them, or out in their garden complaining about the toad that likes to dig holes around their hydrangeas.
“I don't know whether to cry or scream or do both. It feels like I've done more than enough of both. And it feels like I haven't done enough.

And at some point, I know I'm going to have to crawl out of this bed and pick up the pieces but right now, it can be just me. Just me, these four walls, and this bed.

The universe doesn't have to exist outside this bedroom, and that's perfectly okay.”
23 likes
“You always point out the problems with the paintings or the drawings. But what about the things you got right?"
"What about them?"
"Don't they mean something?”
6 likes