Start by marking “I Love You So Mochi” as Want to Read:
I Love You So Mochi

I Love You So Mochi

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  5,255 ratings  ·  1,260 reviews
Kimi Nakamura loves a good fashion statement.

She's obsessed with transforming everyday ephemera into Kimi Originals: bold outfits that make her and her friends feel like the Ultimate versions of themselves. But her mother disapproves, and when they get into an explosive fight, Kimi's entire future seems on the verge of falling apart. So when a surprise letter comes in the
Published May 28th 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about I Love You So Mochi, please sign up.
Shokujiko one of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.…moreone of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.(less)
Elroi C. It's a light-hearted book with a cute romance but the book is more about self-discovery so the romance is not that deep.…moreIt's a light-hearted book with a cute romance but the book is more about self-discovery so the romance is not that deep.(less)

·  5,255 ratings  ·  1,260 reviews

Start your review of I Love You So Mochi
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was so cute, and absolutely perfect for spring! I loved Kimi. She was such a vibrant character from the start and a pleasure to follow. I loved watching her journey of self discovery as she figured out what she wanted to do with her life, dealt with the pressures of expectations, and finally found her footing and realized something she loves as a hobby could be a career as well. The setting of Japan was very immersive. I felt transported there and it made me really want to visit one day. Th ...more
Era ➴
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Some days, you just need a super fluffy romance book. Never mind that I don’t actually like romance books or rom-com movies that much.

I Love You So Mochi is a sweet, light, Japan-centered romance. The way Japan is portrayed in this book is from a more touristy perspective than a real cultural understanding, which makes sense because Kimi was technically a tourist. This book covered some of the traditional foods (mochi, duh) and touristy scenery of Kyoto (which by the way is gorgeous - I stayed
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this all in one sitting and it definitely was not a bad way to spend my afternoon! It was sugary sweet.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My goodness, I Love You So Mochi is just so delightful! I was in the mood for a light-hearted romance, and this book just hit the sweet spot - I enjoyed reading this so, so much and it was faultlessly feel-good and just good.

- Follows Kimi, a Japanese-American teen who flies to Japan to visit her grandparents to try and figure out what she wants to do in life. There, she meets Akira, a Japanese teen who aspires to be a doctor and dresses up as a mochi mascot.
- THIS WAS JUST SO CUTE. 😭 This book
♛ may
book #9 completed! for the reading rush ✓ i am Spent y'all. i need to sleep for the next two weeks to rest my eyes

very cute, very wholesome, very precious
Ellie
me: okay I need to focus on my arc and sequel piles

also me: okay I'm going to pick up this book which is neither an arc nor a sequel

In the sweltering heatwave that seems to be affecting the uk and other parts of europe right now, I Love You So Mochi was the perfect read - light, cute, and undemanding. Following Kimi as she goes to Japan to meet her grandparents and hopefully gets inspired about the path she wants to take in life, it's full of iconic Kyoto locations, cute romance and really sweet
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I Love You So Mochi has been flying around the Asian book blogger blogs. It caught my eye due to the title, based on a Japanese confectionery made from pounded rice and molded around a yummy filling. My favorite are ice cream mochi... I was dying to see how they were incorporated into the story.

The Premise

Kimi Nakamura has been practicing her art since she was a child at the knee of her wannabe artist mother. Lately though its taken a t
Emma
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

This book just wasn’t for me.
I appreciated the descriptions of Kyoto and all that there is to see and do there. They were all very good. They were probably one of the things I liked most in this book, alongside the development of a deep relationship between Kimi and her grandparents.
My main issue with this novel is that there isn’t really any conflict. Kimi goes to Japa
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
...finds romance with a med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot.
Lol, I'm here for it! Sounds like an adorable Asian drama plot.
chloe yeung ♡
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
oh my god i loved this so mochi. review to come!

update: i loved this book so mochi.

before i start talking about the story, let’s just take a moment and appreciate the fluffiest piece of art that is the cover of this book. also, the title is so punny and adorable, which adds to the cuteness even more.

one of my favorite things about the book is that it’s set in kyoto, a part of japan that almost never appears in ya novels. it’s underrated, really – with its beautiful shrines and cherry blossoms, k
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Super cute! Probably more like a 3.5.
Hilly ♡
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
How cute is that cover???
Vicky Again
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE AND FLUFFY! the family feels! the super sweet romance! the finding yourself & fashion design & exploration of japan!! would highly recommend.
Fares
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok

This could've been way better, I mean it had a combination of many things I love about YA contemporaries and I manly mean food! But sadly all the food can't fix the "let's ignore things until they fix themselves up" attitude the characters had in this.
Leah Waters
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this one. :)
Samantha (WLABB)
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Her mother's dream was for Kimi to become the next great Asian American artist. The only problem was it was not HER dream. While standing at a crossroads in her life, Kimi received a plane ticket and an invitation to visit her estranged grandparents in Japan. She saw this as the perfect escape from her mother's crushing disappointment, but it was exactly what she needed to find her passion.

I swear, I didn't stop grinning for hours after reading this book. I simply loved everythi
Camryn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest and softest and I loved every minute of it. There is so much heart and love in basically every page. I loved the descriptions of Japan and Kimi’s clothes and the family dynamics and AKIRA. Our world is really harsh right now and it was so, so nice to have something so hopefully and kind and soft.
Hina ♡
Aug 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
OML. How can something be this cute and adorable! The title, the cover, the story, the romance, the writing... EVERYTHING is so cute. This should be made into a shoujo manga or anime ASAP!! 😩❤
Kate Olson
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(free review copy) SO SWEET!!! And inspiring. The setting, the story, the romance, the food, the friends, the family dynamics - ALL OF IT.
Shealea
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
... I need a moment. Full review to follow.
Vee_Bookish
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
This was the cutest freaking book I have ever read, it melted my cold dark soul and now I am extremely soft and in need of a pug cafe
Yna from Books and Boybands
"I want you to remember that you are boundless."

📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? YA Contemporary Romance
📚 Cliffhanger? No.

❤ Yna's Daily December 30 Day Review Challenge ❤ DAY 1 😊

I picked this book up the day I felt like I needed something cute, sweet, and Asian. Well, is there anything more perfect for that description than a book with this cute cover (and Mochi on the title!)?

Kimi, our lead, is a Japanese American and this book opens the story with her having to fly out to meet her grandp
alexandra
this was cute, fluffy, and made me want to visit japan really badly! i loved all the relationships and rep, but found the mc a little frustrating at times — but that’s the nature of her growth. overall, would recommend if you’re looking for a light read :)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
“And suddenly I realize that making things real is more than just “pretty fun.” Making things real means I feel so many things all at once and on a truly visceral level—deep in my bones and my heart and my soul."

representation: Japanese American mc, lesbian Black side character.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★

This was cute but I had quite a few issues with it. Like how does the love interest have PERFECT English skills with literally no e
Ashley
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is probs like 2.5 stars from me

*I feel like this entire review has spoiler-y content, so if you don't want to know anything besides how I felt, here you go:

Not-believable romance, weird parental expectation that didn't seem believable, super fun fashion design mc swoon-worthy descriptions of Kyoto and very cute grandparent relationship scenes. *

I'm kind of sad I couldn't get behind the main conflict in this book. There were so many precious scenes that really hit me, but they were all twing
Sachi Argabright
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I LOVE YOU SO MOCHI tells the story of Kimi Nakamura, a Japanese American high schooler who is passionate about designing clothes despite her mother’s disapproval. After an explosive fight with her mother, Kimi receives a letter and plane ticket from her mysterious Japanese grandparents and takes them up on their offer to visit over Spring Break. After meeting and staying with her grandparents for the first time, Kimi is learns more about her family and also discovers a lot about herself along t ...more
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Maybe 3.5 stars. This was really sweet!
 ⛅ Saniya (sunnysidereviews) ⛅
4.25 stars!

This was adorable, and unique! I absolutely adored this book!
Jenn
This book was freaking adorable. And also really made me want to go to Japan.

Kimi was raised with the plans of being an artist. Everything has been leading up to her going to art school and becoming a painter. But as Kimi gets older, she's been realizing that's not where her passion lies. After a giant argument with her mother, she agrees to spend spring break with her estranged grandparents in Japan and sets on a journey of self-discovery to find out who she really is and what exactly she wants
Readers Unbound: I Love You So Mochi 12 14 Mar 07, 2022 01:14PM
Japanese Novel an...: I Love You So Mochi Group Read 5 53 Sep 13, 2020 02:29PM

• Made in Korea
  • XOXO
  • A Pho Love Story
  • A Taste for Love
  • Tokyo Ever After (Tokyo Ever After, #1)
  • K-Pop Revolution (K-pop Confidential, #2)
  • Once Upon a K-Prom
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Sorcery of Thorns (Sorcery of Thorns, #1)
  • The (Other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce
  • How to Read a Book
  • Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
See top shelves…
Sarah Kuhn is the author of Heroine Complex—the first in a series starring Asian American superheroines—for DAW Books. She also wrote The Ruby Equation for the comics anthology Fresh Romance and the romantic comedy novella One Con Glory, which earned praise from io9 and USA Today and is in development as a feature film. Her articles and essays on such topics as geek girl culture, comic book contin ...more