Start by marking “I Love You So Mochi” as Want to Read:
I Love You So Mochi

I Love You So Mochi

Kimi Nakamura loves a good fashion statement.

She's obsessed with transforming everyday ephemera into Kimi Originals: bold outfits that make her and her friends feel like the Ultimate versions of themselves. But her mother disapproves, and when they get into an explosive fight, Kimi's entire future seems on the verge of falling apart. So when a surprise letter comes in the
Published May 28th 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about I Love You So Mochi, please sign up.
Shokujiko one of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.…moreone of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.(less)
Elroi C. It's a light-hearted book with a cute romance but the book is more about self-discovery so the romance is not that deep.…moreIt's a light-hearted book with a cute romance but the book is more about self-discovery so the romance is not that deep.(less)

Start your review of I Love You So Mochi
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was so cute, and absolutely perfect for spring! I loved Kimi. She was such a vibrant character from the start and a pleasure to follow. I loved watching her journey of self discovery as she figured out what she wanted to do with her life, dealt with the pressures of expectations, and finally found her footing and realized something she loves as a hobby could be a career as well. The setting of Japan was very immersive. I felt transported there and it made me really want to visit one day. Th ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this all in one sitting and it definitely was not a bad way to spend my afternoon! It was sugary sweet.
FireLily (HAPPY PRIDE MONTH)
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Some days, you just need a super fluffy romance book. Never mind that I don’t actually like romance books or rom-com movies.

I Love You So Mochi is a sweet, light, Japan-centered romance. The way Japan is portrayed in this book is from a more touristy perspective than a real cultural understanding, which makes sense because Kimi was technically a tourist. This book covered some of the traditional foods (mochi, duh) and touristy scenery of Kyoto (which by the way is gorgeous - I stayed there for
♛ may
book #9 completed! for the reading rush ✓ i am Spent y'all. i need to sleep for the next two weeks to rest my eyes

very cute, very wholesome, very precious
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My goodness, I Love You So Mochi is just so delightful! I was in the mood for a light-hearted romance, and this book just hit the sweet spot - I enjoyed reading this so, so much and it was faultlessly feel-good and just good.

- Follows Kimi, a Japanese-American teen who flies to Japan to visit her grandparents to try and figure out what she wants to do in life. There, she meets Akira, a Japanese teen who aspires to be a doctor and dresses up as a mochi mascot.
- THIS WAS JUST SO CUTE. 😭 This book
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
me: okay I need to focus on my arc and sequel piles

also me: okay I'm going to pick up this book which is neither an arc nor a sequel

In the sweltering heatwave that seems to be affecting the uk and other parts of europe right now, I Love You So Mochi was the perfect read - light, cute, and undemanding. Following Kimi as she goes to Japan to meet her grandparents and hopefully gets inspired about the path she wants to take in life, it's full of iconic Kyoto locations, cute romance and really sweet
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I Love You So Mochi has been flying around the Asian book blogger blogs. It caught my eye due to the title, based on a Japanese confectionery made from pounded rice and molded around a yummy filling. My favorite are ice cream mochi... I was dying to see how they were incorporated into the story.

The Premise

Kimi Nakamura has been practicing her art since she was a child at the knee of her wannabe artist mother. Lately though its taken a t
Emma
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

This book just wasn’t for me.
I appreciated the descriptions of Kyoto and all that there is to see and do there. They were all very good. They were probably one of the things I liked most in this book, alongside the development of a deep relationship between Kimi and her grandparents.
My main issue with this novel is that there isn’t really any conflict. Kimi goes to Japa
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
...finds romance with a med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot.
Lol, I'm here for it! Sounds like an adorable Asian drama plot.
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Super cute! Probably more like a 3.5.
chloe ♡
oh my god i loved this so mochi. review to come!

update: i loved this book so mochi.

before i start talking about the story, let’s just take a moment and appreciate the fluffiest piece of art that is the cover of this book. also, the title is so punny and adorable, which adds to the cuteness even more.

one of my favorite things about the book is that it’s set in kyoto, a part of japan that almost never appears in ya novels. it’s underrated, really – with its beautiful shrines and cherry blossoms, k
Hillary
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
How cute is that cover???
Vicky Again
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE AND FLUFFY! the family feels! the super sweet romance! the finding yourself & fashion design & exploration of japan!! would highly recommend.
Fares
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok

This could've been way better, I mean it had a combination of many things I love about YA contemporaries and I manly mean food! But sadly all the food can't fix the "let's ignore things until they fix themselves up" attitude the characters had in this.
Samantha (WLABB)
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Her mother's dream was for Kimi to become the next great Asian American artist. The only problem was it was not HER dream. While standing at a crossroads in her life, Kimi received a plane ticket and an invitation to visit her estranged grandparents in Japan. She saw this as the perfect escape from her mother's crushing disappointment, but it was exactly what she needed to find her passion.

I swear, I didn't stop grinning for hours after reading this book. I simply loved everythi
Camryn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest and softest and I loved every minute of it. There is so much heart and love in basically every page. I loved the descriptions of Japan and Kimi’s clothes and the family dynamics and AKIRA. Our world is really harsh right now and it was so, so nice to have something so hopefully and kind and soft.
Shealea
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
... I need a moment. Full review to follow.
alexandra
this was cute, fluffy, and made me want to visit japan really badly! i loved all the relationships and rep, but found the mc a little frustrating at times — but that’s the nature of her growth. overall, would recommend if you’re looking for a light read :)
Kate Olson
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(free review copy) SO SWEET!!! And inspiring. The setting, the story, the romance, the food, the friends, the family dynamics - ALL OF IT.
Ashley
This is probs like 2.5 stars from me

*I feel like this entire review has spoiler-y content, so if you don't want to know anything besides how I felt, here you go:

Not-believable romance, weird parental expectation that didn't seem believable, super fun fashion design mc swoon-worthy descriptions of Kyoto and very cute grandparent relationship scenes. *

I'm kind of sad I couldn't get behind the main conflict in this book. There were so many precious scenes that really hit me, but they were all twing
Rodoreads
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm soft, giddy and grinning like an idiot. What a cute book. Starting from the title, to the cover, to the story! So adorable.

Sometimes reality intrudes on what we want. That’s just the way it is.

Kimi had her life perfectly planned. Or you can say her mother did. She just wanted her mom to be happy and pretty much followed everything she said to see her smile. Until she couldn't anymore. Until she just became a blank canvas with no idea where to start.

Dropping out of art classes without le
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Maybe 3.5 stars. This was really sweet!
Yna the Mood Reader
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I want you to remember that you are boundless."

📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? YA Contemporary Romance
📚 Cliffhanger? No.

❤ Yna's Daily December 30 Day Review Challenge ❤ DAY 1 😊

I picked this book up the day I felt like I needed something cute, sweet, and Asian. Well, is there anything more perfect for that description than a book with this cute cover (and Mochi on the title!)?

Kimi, our lead, is a Japanese American and this book opens the story with her having to fly out to meet her grandp
Vee
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the cutest freaking book I have ever read, it melted my cold dark soul and now I am extremely soft and in need of a pug cafe
Jenn
This book was freaking adorable. And also really made me want to go to Japan.

Kimi was raised with the plans of being an artist. Everything has been leading up to her going to art school and becoming a painter. But as Kimi gets older, she's been realizing that's not where her passion lies. After a giant argument with her mother, she agrees to spend spring break with her estranged grandparents in Japan and sets on a journey of self-discovery to find out who she really is and what exactly she wants
Hanis
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.3/5 stars.

Can we just appreciate the cover for a second? That’s one awesomely beautiful cover and I’m not gonna lie, the book cover attracted me first. And luckily, when I read the synopsis I was interested and intrigued. This reader right here definitely didn’t regret picking this up.

The story began with Kimi who went to Japan to get some brief vision of what she aspired to do in her life, as she couldn’t handle the very thing her mother wanted her to do – drawing wasn’t fully her passion, a
Sachi Argabright
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I LOVE YOU SO MOCHI tells the story of Kimi Nakamura, a Japanese American high schooler who is passionate about designing clothes despite her mother’s disapproval. After an explosive fight with her mother, Kimi receives a letter and plane ticket from her mysterious Japanese grandparents and takes them up on their offer to visit over Spring Break. After meeting and staying with her grandparents for the first time, Kimi is learns more about her family and also discovers a lot about herself along t ...more
Anniek
While I did expect to enjoy this, I did not expect this would be a 5 star read. It spoke to me so much more than I expected it would. Listening to the audiobook was such a wholesome, emotional experience.

I absolutely loved the main character's relationship with her grandparents. This book deals with complicated family relationships, but the love between them was tangible.

The story is culturally rich and very focused on creativity, and that made it vibrant with flavours and colours. It made me fe
Rachel A.  Dawson
This book was ADORABLE and lovely and just so delightful. Love a good exploration of self and ancestry, love an honest developing mom/daughter dynamic, love a sweet love story, love a strong and quirky female lead... such a winning YA read!
Japanese Novel an...: I Love You So Mochi Group Read 5 46 Sep 13, 2020 02:29PM

• Somewhere Only We Know
  • I'll Be the One
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • American Panda
  • The (Other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce
  • Barely Missing Everything
See top shelves…
Sarah Kuhn is the author of Heroine Complex—the first in a series starring Asian American superheroines—for DAW Books. She also wrote The Ruby Equation for the comics anthology Fresh Romance and the romantic comedy novella One Con Glory, which earned praise from io9 and USA Today and is in development as a feature film. Her articles and essays on such topics as geek girl culture, comic book contin ...more

News & Interviews

“And suddenly I realize that making things real is more than just “pretty fun.” Making things real means I feel so many things all at once and on a truly visceral level—deep in my bones and my heart and my soul. And right now, all of those things feel amazing.” 4 likes
“I wish I had fought harder for my family history.” 2 likes