Start by marking “Rated” as Want to Read:
Rated

Rated

Societies thrive on order, and the Rating System is the ultimate symbol of organized social mobility.

The higher it soars, the more valued you are. The lower it plummets, the harder you must work to improve yourself. For the students at the prestigious Maplethorpe Academy, every single thing they do is reflected in their ratings, updated daily and available for all to see.
Published September 3rd 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Rated, please sign up.
Jennifer Daniels Protagonists- Bex, Chase, Javi, Noah, Tamsin, Hana
Protagonists- Bex, Chase, Javi, Noah, Tamsin, Hana
Antagonist- The ratings system and the pursuit of a better rating, Society because of this pursuit, Summer(less)

Start your review of Rated
jocelyn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is 1 part cheesy teen drama, 1 part group of misfits banding together, and 1 part technological dystopia. If you were to mix Fahrenheit 451 and The Perfect Score (2004), you'd have a good idea of what to expect.

In this society, everyone is rated based on a myriad of factors, but those who perform the best at things deemed socially acceptable are obviously at the top. This affects - and is affected by - all aspects of one's life. For example: the head of multiple clubs, daughte
Alaina
Rated was a fun book to listen to. Don't know if I would survive in a world where you are rated until a certain point. Doesn't sound a lot of fun but I did enjoy the whole concept about how it wasn't real. Of course, when you are younger and all you know is the whole rating either helps or hurts you - you would believe it.

So, for people to start believing that it didn't matter or that it was fake started to make me more invested into the book. Of course, the kids are put through a sort of trial
Diabolica
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A really cute, light-hearted read.

I think it's cute that it tries to be a thriller, but the tension and suspense in the book are so underwhelming that until the last couple of chapters I forgot that there was a mystery going on. So, the mystery wasn't treated as the primary focus in the novel.

I think Grey had too many characters. I think the number of main characters in a book should be proportional to the number of books in a series. Nothing more, less is fine.

There were 6 main characters in
i.
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Imagine a society in which everything you do has a positive or negative rating. Wait a moment!. We already live in that society, in fact, this very website is about liking and unliking.
But, what if all our future depended on these ratings? The novel shows a world where your whole life is determined by an unfair rating system. A school where pupils are constantly being watched and pushed to obtain higher ratings.
Most readers will probably relate to at least one character. They are teens whose liv
Myrna
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
More of a character driven novel than a dystopian one. I think some of the characters were stereotyped like Javi but I cared for each one and hoped for a good outcome. The dystopian world was a little blurry though and I still have questions. I wonder if there will be a second book.
Karen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well.

The idea of this book was great. I loved that it’s futuristic, but not really outlandish. Not quite science fiction.

But the writing. Oh my. First of all, I’m concerned about the chapped lip epidemic. It seems all the characters bite their lips, chew their lips, or for some other reason require Chap Stik. Also, there were times when the narration was so painfully redundant. “Javi looked down at Noah. Noah looked up at Javi.” They couldn’t just simply look at each other? Also, “It was diffe
Briana
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Source: ARC

Even though it’s been 11 years since the publication of the first Hunger Games book, avid YA readers might have mixed feelings about dystopian novels. Is it time for them to come back (like the vampire revival)? Or do dystopians still feel like “jumping on a fad?” Interestingly, Rated by Melissa Grey somewhat skirts the question. It’s a dystopian, presumably inspired by the Chinese social credit system that has been making headlines, but the focus in many ways is not actually on the w
Jessica McKenna
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I read an ARC, and enjoyed this one well enough. It sets up a sort of Breakfast Club-like atmosphere, delving into the lives of several disparate high school students and bringing them together for a common cause. The characters are fairly well-developed and relatable, and their interactions are engaging.

From the description, though, I expected this to be more like a Black Mirror episode. Particularly, it reminded me of Nosedive - a world where your social status is dependent on ratings, which a
Mercedes Roth
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Recommend: If you like character driven stories
Review:
**I received an arc of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.**

Right, so I was really looking forward to this book because 1) I love Melissa Grey and 2) this book sounds amazing. When I got my greedy little hands on it I squealed and dived right in, but sadly, it did not live up to my expectations.

I will say, this book has a lot of things going for i
Amelia
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

ARC was provided at BookCon by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I really didn’t expect to like this book, if we’re being honest. It was being pushed out at BookCon for free and I took it because there were a lot of them. However, I really ended up liking this book. The character dynamics were so well done and the plot was really engaging. To be quite honest, the ending was cliffhangery and I hope there’s more to come.
Jude
This book wasn't as captivating as I had hoped for and I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. Rated will be enjoyed by lots of young people but it had a big focus on the characters whereas I was hoping for more of a focus on the rating system as that seems to be a path we are dangerously close to heading down.
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
Jun 30, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-new
I need YA Dystopia to make a comeback.
Heather
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A future society in which everyone has a status rating that determines their place. A group of unlikely allies is brought together to fight the system.
Read if you like Dystopian.
Issues: LGBTQ, Anorexia, Parental Alcoholism
Rivka
Sep 16, 2019 added it
I don’t know what to rate this yet
Give me a few hours

Also, yes I know it’s ironic
Jaime Arkin
3.5 stars - review to come
Em J.
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
My review somehow got deleted, but I read this in May. It was okay, but the ending was horrible. The dystopian view was good, but it wasn't written very well.
Troy
Jul 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
A decent premise wasted on inconsistent protagonists that amount to little more than caricatures (who thankfully band together as a band of misfits and promptly become not misfits and normal functioning teenagers) and a plot that progressed through unexplained revelation and amounted to... teen drama.

Thank goodness they left the real dystopia to the epilogue and a blatantly desperate plea for a sequel - wouldn’t want to rush the plot?
Carrie Irwin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
“Good grades mean good ratings. Good ratings mean a good college. A good college means a good life.”

I had such high hopes for Rated, so when I got my hands on an advanced copy, I tore right into it. It started out really well...

The Concept

The concept did what all good dystopias should: made me stop and ponder the path we are on as a society and whether or not this is our inevitable future. As an educator, I found myself examining my own reactions to students. Am I rating them already? How i
Syl-G6
Author: Melissa Grey
Pages: 319
Genre: LGBTQ, Romance, Mystery
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
This is an Advanced Readers Copy. That means that this is not the final version of the book. Therefore, facts and quotes are subject to change in the published book.
This is like 15% mystery, 50% romance, and the rest is about highschoolers living in this new world centered on ratings. We follow six individual students who live in this new world. From the highest score to the lowest in the school ...more
Kim
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending saved this book from being 3 stars. The book trailer was awesome and all my library kids loved it. It was a huge seller at my Scholastic book fair. I read it and was a little disappointed. I liked the ending even though there's a set up for a sequel. The rest of the book was meh...a little dull for my taste.
Carli
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5. In a society where every thing citizens do, every test score they get, every extracurricular contributes to a rating. That rating determines eligibility for colleges, high schools even, as well as where you can live, work, and shop. When anti-rating graffiti shows up at their school, a group of teens each receive a cryptic message. Together, these unlikely allies are out to see if the ratings are, in fact, a hoax. I really enjoyed the characters in this one but I’m going to be honest ...more
Anna Keller
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t2
I really liked this book though I was left with quite a few questions as to how the rating system actually worked. How many points can you dock from someone at a time? Why didn't the school notice when Tamsin's rating plummeted because of Summer and her friends? Just small things that were never really explained. But otherwise it was a really fun read and I found myself not being able to put the book down.
Book Reviews By Tara
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book. A very unique story, different from anything I’m used to reading. I enjoyed the author’s writing style. She is a very good story teller. Although I enjoyed the book I think the ending could have been a little better.
Meaghan
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
This was another one of those books that I read with my friend broken up over a week. We generally go for unique contemporaries or thrillers, and this seemed to fit the bill! However, the book itself didn't actually spend too much time focusing on the uniqueness of the rating system, nor on the mystery style plot it seemed to contain, but rather on the characters themselves and their (many) individual issues. Additionally, most of these issues were ones that teens in our own society would have, ...more
Aliena Jackson
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Emilou
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really liked the story at the beginning. I thought that it was nicely put together, the characters were solid and the story flowed well, but then after a while, I got the feeling that the author had tunnel vision when it came to world-building. The story was so focused on this one city, I got the feeling that there was nothing else outside of the city limits. I would have liked to know more about the world in general. Did all countries accept the rating system? Were there some that refused to ...more
Mayar El Mahdy
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was sub-par. It's not bad but also definitely not good. It had zero exposition or world-building. The title, cover, and synopsis all suggest a rating-system story, but the book has like 2% rating-related stuff and 98% stereotypes.

It has a dyslexic, abused, mean but actually kind jock. There are two overachievers with mean parents, and characterless outcasts. They also randomly become friends and happen to do stuff the book doesn't cover but are actually major plot points.

It's not good. Rea
thegirlonfire
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
i got this arc for free at bookcon 2019 and only now i finally got around to it, i was also listenin to audiobook, its an easy fast read, i liked the different perpectives and the characters,how different they are.i like the troubles each one of them was facing, and i like the rating system its not like somethin ive ever read, the ending was ok, i had a feeling that person was the leader. the way this book ends looks like there will be a sequel which i may read.
✨R   y   e✨
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book kind of strayed from the actual meaning of this book... I thought this was them constantly tracking and kicking butt with some romance.

But i loved the friendships that were made. We got some cute couples.

I was so happy to see a gay couple...i was just- *muah* really.

It's pretty good though ngl
ARTBA 2020: Rated 3 10 Jul 31, 2020 11:32AM

• Fake
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • Allies
  • Lie to Me
  • Strange New World (Brave New Girl, #2)
  • The Forgotten Girl
  • Captured: An American Prisoner of War in North Vietnam (Scholastic Focus)
  • Creep
  • Roll with It
  • Don't Tell the Nazis
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
Melissa Grey penned her first short story at the age of twelve and hasn't stopped writing since. As an undergrad at Yale, she learned how ride a horse and shoot a bow and arrow at the same time. She also has a Masters in Art History but that's a much less useful skill.

She is the author of The Girl at Midnight trilogy, Rated, and the forthcoming The Valiant Ladies of Potosi.

To learn more about M