Start by marking “The King James Men” as Want to Read:
The King James Men

The King James Men

Connected by love, divided by faith. A novel of faith, friendship, and betrayal set against the religious turbulence of 17th Century London.

England 1604

Two men, once friends, have long since gone their separate ways. But when the new King James commands a fresh translation of the Bible, their paths are fated to cross again.

For biblical scholar Richard Clarke, the chance to
Published November 20th 2018 by Sam Grosser Books

To ask other readers questions about The King James Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King James Men

Start your review of The King James Men
Annette
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Source: I received a complimentary copy, but was not required to leave a positive review.
My Thoughts:
I love this book! And several reasons led me to award this book an excellent rating.
•The additional two sections in the back of the book hold:
-Bible quotations used in the book, they are listed by chapter; and they are from the 1611 King James Version.
-A list of further readings on this subject.
•The relationship between two men who were best friends when younger. These men loved each other as bro
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this story, I love this period of history and couldn’t wait to get stuck in to reading this book!

I thought the story was well planned out and the execution was great, it was a story that transported me back and I felt at times as though I was with the characters in the story. It is executed very well and made for an additive read, especially for me being such a massive fan of historical fiction!

4.5 stars from me rounded up to 5 stars for A
Patty
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The early 17th century in England was an interesting time. King James ascended the throne after the death of Elizabeth I and the religious issues that bubbled during her reign were still percolating. The King was still the head of the Church of England but there were still Catholics and now the break with that church due to the impact of Martin Luther. In addition the Puritans were pushing for their beliefs feeling that the reforms to the Church of England didn’t go far enough and therefore they ...more
Patricia
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The King James Men although the story of the translation of the bible which became The King James Version is more a story of friendship and a lesson in real faith. At the heart of the book is the friendship of Richard Clarke a biblical scholar, one of the interpreters of the KJV bible and a curate of The Church of England and Ben Kemp a Separatist. The two met in college and became best friends in spite of their difference in beliefs.

This book touched me in ways I can't explain. I was raised in
Margaret
It was a refreshing change to read a book about a friendship between two men. Richard Clark was working on the translation of the Bible for King James (it’s true, I googled it) and Ben Kemp was Puritan. Not a good mix.

This is my first time reading this era and this book has really got me thinking and itching to read more. With attention to detail, from the family dynamics to life in a gaol to religious persecution and so much more, the author vividly described the times these men lived in. It wa
Maria Lichtmann
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because the subject matter was fascinating. I had not realized to what extent the Separatists became persecuted in post-Reformation England. This story is that of two friends who take differing and personally conflicting paths, and the pangs of conscience that afflict them both. The style was not immediately crisp or the characters as well drawn in terms of personal rather than religious depth, but still it was worth a read.
Tanya
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a new king on the throne and things are not as sable as they were before he got the throne. One has returned from exile and all they wants is a quiet life but it will not be so. The king wants everyone to conform and goes after those who are not. What is going to happen? See what will happen
Rosie Lee
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read a story of religious upheaval during the reign of King James I
Steve
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story, fascinating period of history. The depth of research is impressive, this is a must read. You feel with both of the central characters and are torn between them as they are with each other. Beautiful, eloquent prose, Grosser’s ability to take you to another time is her gift as a writer.
Amy
Nov 30, 2018
Jake Grosser
Jun 24, 2019
Stuart Thomson
rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2019

• The Lady and the Unicorn
  • A Single Thread
  • The Last Runaway
  • Touchstone Season One - Complete eBook Box Set
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • Bring Up the Bodies
  • The Girl from Oto (Miramonde #1)
  • Lavinia
  • RUTHLESS: A Novel Set in Gothic Verona
  • Sister of Mine
  • The Sunne in Splendour
  • Spy
  • Owen (Tudor Trilogy, #1)
  • The Favored Queen
  • The Phantom Tree
  • The Unfaithful Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII's Fifth Wife
Historical fiction author Samantha Grosser originally hails from England, but now lives on the sunny Northern Beaches of Sydney with her husband, son and a very small dog called Livvy.

Combining a lifelong love of history with a compulsion to write that dates from childhood, Samantha is now bringing her passion for telling compelling stories to the world.

Samantha has an Honours Degree in English L