Start by marking “A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)

A Case of Lone Star

(Kinky Friedman #2)

The second of the mysteries featuring the foul-mouthed Kinky Friedman, ace private eye. It is Thanksgiving at the legendary Lone Star Cafe, a raucus little corner of Texas right in the middle of Manhattan. Larry Barkins is found dead in his dressing room, his head bashed in with his own guitar.
Published August 1st 2000 by Vandam Press, Inc. (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Lone Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Lone Star

Dagny
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kinky never fails to deliver a bundle of laughs and great characters! This one will appeal especially to lovers of country and western music with its references to Hank Williams and many of the old songs.
Geoffrey Fox
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Preposterous murder mystery is solved by an even more preposterous sleuth. Wisecracking, cigar-addicted country-western singer Kinky beds Uptown Judy and Downtown Judy (striving to keep them mutually ignorant of one another's existence), swigs his Jameson whiskeys and Lone Star beers while trying to discover which of his Hank Williams-obsessed acquaintances is murdering country-western musicians in a Greenwich Village club. Some funny lines, the best repartee being between Kinky and his very urb ...more
Angus McKeogh
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book. Kinky is so irreverent and funny with an entertaining murder mystery thrown in as well. This was his second novel in his mystery "series". And although I've been reading them haphazard and out of order, I still found this one very entertaining.
Peter Barr
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in a series of novels by Kinky Friedman with the main character being the amateur detective Kinky Friedman. It is a modern day, derivative Sherlock Holmes, if Sherlock Holmes were a Jewish former country and western singer living in Manhattan.
Nick Gilbert
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago, but I just read it again - I love all the Kinky Friedman books!!!!
Charlie Ferguson
Awesome

Think I will buy more Kinky books. What a sense of humor. He is in charge of the English language.
Intortetor
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
sembra la caricatura di mike spillane, ma in salsa country. anzi, a dire la verità è fatto troppo bene per essere solo una caricatura: le battute funzionano, i personaggi sono totalmente assurdi eppure al tempo stesso credibili (a partire dal protagonista, che poi è lo stesso kinky) e anche se l'intreccio non è il massimo (diciamo che come libro giallo non è esattamente roba da "giallo mondadori") si viene spinti a divorare il romanzo nel più breve tempo possibile, fosse solo per vedere se spunt ...more
Victor Cordova
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it
The Kinksta does it again! Excellent mystery/humorous/up yours novel. Sherlock Holmes may have ruled Britania, but he holds nothing on the Kinksta! Even The Villiage irregulars kick ass, (sorry, arse), over them East Enders. Not elimentary, Watson - Fact!!!!
Olly Colluphid
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check brain in at door entertainment. Good one liners.
Rog Harrison
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I first came across the Kinky Friedman crime books about twenty years ago (I first read this on 13 July 1994) and I read four or five them so I was pleased to come across three of his books in the library last week. In the intervening years I have heard and enjoyed some of his music too. This is the second time I have read this and it's a good read even if the plot does not quite make sense. Kinky Friedman is a witty writer and of course is a real person as are many of the characters in the book ...more
It was a quick read, but I enjoy country music and political incorrectness. I'm glad Jerry Jeff Walker and Asleep at the Wheel weren't killed. I'm glad to see there is some appreciation for Texas music. I have respect for the quote about getting decent Mexican food. It's just not the same as it is with Texican flavor.

Kathy
Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yanks, read-in-2016
It was 11.40. I lit a cigar, took a slug of Jameson's, and the phones rang.
That's about it, really. The narrator/protagonist is a bit of a one-trick pony. Wants to tell me everything that goes in his mouth - every meal, every drink, every cigar. Freud would have something to say about this, I'm sure.
Julie Caroline
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-or-else
style très vivant. semble assez bien traduit malgré de gros oublis de traduction qui sonnent bizarre en francais et que seuls les avertis comprennent comme : red herring traduit mot a mot" harreng rouge"
Clif Smith
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
You've never read any mystery like those by the Kinkster. After all, he's been a band leader, a candidate fo governor of Texas, and a totally irreverent critic. He's just hilariously unpredictable. Any of his are worth a look.
Nick Scott
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
A very cleverly written country-western murder mystery noir set in NYC. Plenty of Kinky Friedman witticisms throughout. It is pretty easy to figure out who the killer is though. A short, breezy, enjoyable read.
Angelika
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
complete fluff, but really funny with some highly quotable lines.
Slarson6
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kinky in a country music club, in New York, with a murder to solve. The cat is in charge.
Paige
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kinky is a trip!
Dan
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
if you like the weird and the funny Kinky is for you. I am not sure how i found him but he is a guilty please.
Karley
Oct 09, 2012 added it
Why does Kinky always tell the reader the time?
Larry Schwartz
If you don't love Kinky, you're a lonely person.
Chapter
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
NYC, honky-tonk, murder, hank Williams, cliché phrases
Lara
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I love that its really all a bit ridiculous. He's a great character and far more I retesting because hes not what you'd expect of a private detective or musician
Tom Dye
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Written in the Kinky Friedman vernacular, this book is a hilarious read, a colorful journey. Fun, splendid, you really ought to read it.
Siobhan
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy-crime, crime
This was a very funny little book though the humour may not be to everyones taste.
Le_oaf

• The Woman Chaser
  • Dreamworld and Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East and West
  • Tales of Beatnik Glory
  • The Essential Lenny Bruce
  • The Complete New Yorker: Eighty Years of the Nation's Greatest Magazine (Book & 8 DVD-ROMs)
  • The Work of Nations: Preparing Ourselves for 21st Century Capitalism
  • With A Little Help From My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper
  • Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'n' Roll Survivor
  • The Third Pig Detective Agency (The Third Pig Detective Agency, #1)
  • Fisheye
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • One More Time: The Best of Mike Royko
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Something Nasty in the Woodshed (Charlie Mortdecai, #3)
  • Spaceman
  • Dancing Bear (Milo Milodragovitch #2)
  • Searching for Robert Johnson
  • The Thursday Next Chronicles
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie

Kinky Friedman (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1)
  • When the Cat's Away (Kinky Friedman, #3)
  • Frequent Flyer (Kinky Friedman, #4)
  • Musical Chairs (Kinky Friedman, #5)
  • Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6)
  • Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7)
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
  • The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)
  • Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10)
  • Blast from the Past (Kinky Friedman, #11)
“Friday night was the night most people thought they were supposed to have fun. Trouble was most people didn't know what fun was or how to have it, so things usually ended up pretty ugly.” 9 likes
“The only thing wrong with Southern Baptists was they didn't hold them underwater long enough.” 2 likes