Start by marking “Macavity” as Want to Read:
Macavity

Macavity

Macavity o gato misterioso
Hardcover
Published by Lata de Sal Editorial S.L. (first published April 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Macavity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macavity

Start your review of Macavity
Kate
More poetry reading with Mr 4. This is a clear favourite out of the T.S. Elliot Cat poems. Mr 4 loves to shout 'Macavity's Not There!' very loudly.
Nola Lorraine
Macavity the Mystery Cat is based on the T.S. Eliot poem immortalised in Cats. The message probably isn't ideal in that the book ends with Macavity still at large and not reprimanded for all of his thieving ways. Some of the terminology is also quite British, so might not be easily understandable to children from other countries (e.g. Scotland Yard). However, the illustrations are engaging, as a police sniffer dog with a magnifying glass tries to suss out the clues and find the thief. He's alway ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, picture-books
Excellent Spanish translation of the T.S. Eliot poem with cute illustrations. I actually found myself singing the song from the musical in my head in Spanish while I was reading this, so I guess the Spanish hasn't worn off completely yet after all.
Leander
Almost everyone has read this in their childhood.

"A fiend in a feline shape, a monster of depravity" out of context, it might seem like talking about something serious, like a big cat, but nah, it's just plain old macavity.

And hey, look over there, there's Macavity!
Daym you missed him. Where did my wallet go though?
:P
Macavity, Macavity, there's no one like Macavity. If you're familiar with these lyrics chances are you'd enjoy this picture book, part of a series of books using illustrations to highlight the famous (or infamous depending on your taste) "Cats" score.
Miss Ryoko
Cats is my favorite musical (shocker, right 😉) so when I saw these at my library, I had to read them... and if course I totally sung the song as I read it.

Wasn't a huge fan of this sloppy looking for of artwork but it's cool these picture books exist
Charlie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute. I love this criminal cat.
Michelle Moloney King
This fabulous cat is a fictional character who is described in a poem in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, by T. S. Eliot. I knew this picture book was special; the size, colours, scope, and even the font add to the beauty of this picture book.

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is given new verve in this spectacular picture book.

Arthur Robbins illustrations perfectly convey all the charm, fun and wit and of Eliot's creation. Macavity will be read by adults to children and it will be enjoyed
Josephine
If I know it by heart does it still count as reading? Nevertheless this is a fabulous version of this poem; the illustrations are most excellent. I bought this as a baby gift and shall be sad to give it away.
Katie
Lovely new print of Macavity, beautifully illustrated by Arthur Robins.

Eliot's vocabulary is amazing so would make a great 1 on 1 read aloud. It worked ok at storytimes, but was lovely to introduce Eliot to a new generation.
JkW
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving the illustrations by Arthur Robins
Rosie
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
just not the same without the music innit
Maggi Rohde
Not my favorite illustrations for this wonderful old poem.
Martina
Didem
May 18, 2014
Jenna Mills
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. 18m old loves this one!
Ishita Sood

• Piggybook
  • Goodbye Mog
  • The Snowman
  • Rose Blanche
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • The Seven Chinese Brothers
  • Queen Victoria's Underpants
  • What Do You Do With a Chance?
  • The Missing Piece (The Missing Piece, #1)
  • Mary, Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • El abecedario de Kate & Cat
  • Draw Me a Star
  • The Paper Bag Princess
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more