Start by marking “Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)

Trouble In Paradise

(Jesse Stone #2)

Robert B. Parker and his legendary Spenser series have long been considered the ne plus ultra of detective fiction. But the critics' praise for Jesse Stone's debut in Night Passage proved there was room for an addition to the Parker literary canon. "A novel as fresh as it is boldParker's sentences flow with as much wit, grace, and assurance as ever, and Stone is a complex ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Jove (first published September 21st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble In Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble In Paradise

Start your review of Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Parker vs. Parker?

Robert B. Parker cooked up an ex-convict named Jimmy Macklin who has an ambitious scheme to loot an entire island populated by some very wealthy people, and he recruits a crew to help him blow up a bridge, take out a private security force, empty a bank and then make a getaway by boat so it certainly seems like he might have taken a page out of Richard Stark’s novels about professional thief Parker.

However that’s where the similarities end. For one thing, instead of being a hum
William
I have mixed feelings about this book, #2 in the Jesse Stone series by Parker. There are many very good things: The pacing is mostly good; It's nice to see some familiar villains and heroes from Spenser's world; I like the characters of Jenn, Molly, Abby, Faye and the other strong women in the book. Healy and Belson make appearances briefly in the first two books, at least.

Note: The word "maroon" appears 9 times in this book. (Yes, it's a Parker oddity I've latched onto)

The plot is a bit formul
Bill Kerwin

This second entry in the Jesse Stone series breathes new life into an old hard-boiled plot, namely, the scheme by a group of bad guys to hijack an entire island and rob its wealthy inhabitants (see Dashiell Hammett’s “The Gutting of Cuffignal”) Parker keeps us entertained with the character of the no nonsense sheriff Stone—much different than his brash detective Spenser—and the contrasting portraits of two interesting bad guys.

The two criminals are James Macklin, the mastermind of the operation
Janie Johnson
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is the second installment to the Jesse Stone series and also part of my series-a-thon for this year. So I want to stay on top of the series and read them when I can. I did enjoy this one more than the first one, but still not quite up to the 4 star rating.

Synopsis
I will give the synopsis on this book since the cases do not carry over from one book to the next.
Robert Parker's Trouble in Paradise imagines an old-fashioned tough guys' world where most of the women are summed up by their figure
Vincent Lombardo
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old fashioned heist story is always my favorite type of story. The plan was smart (destroy a bridge and ports to hold off the cops) and as with many Parker novels the characters are rich and colorful.
My only problem, which was my problem with the last novel as well was Stone's obsession with his ex wife. A woman that treats him like dirt yet falls at her feet at the slightest call. Pretty pathetic.
Skye
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A group of hardened criminals appear in Paradise about to reign havoc upon the town and island. It is a fast-paced read, and of course, Jesse is still struggling with his feelings towards his ex-wife complicating it with casual relationships and Scotch. This particular book highlights Molly more than in the past. It was an excellent read. Character sketches are wonderful, and Robert B. Parker is certainly fluent and knows perfectly how to deliver.
Gary
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Every punch is telegraphed, every single one.
Amanda McGill
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another good novel in the Jesse Stone series.

Jesse Stone is still the chief of police of Paradise, Massachusetts. There is a few minor crimes, but nothing too major, until Jimmy Macklin shows up. Jimmy is an ex-con who is all about the heist. He wants to take over the Stiles Island in Paradise Harbor, rob the people on the island and make a clean escape.

I don't find the series too spectacular, but it's a fun read. I enjoy the character of Jesse Stone, minus all of the women/love scenes. There a
Steve
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book and a good series, but not on the same level as Spenser to my eyes. Chief Stone is an upright guy, but not on the level on Spenser. Good plot in this one though about robbing a while island.
Brad Carl
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy RBP's writing style and the Jesse Stone books. There is nothing unpredictable or overly thrilling about them, but it's still solid reading. There's also no way any lady reader will EVER like these books. Waaaaay too much slutting around by weak kneed, horny women. Just read this one, you'll understand.

Quote from the book:

"...and if I see you out here, I’ll go shoot that broad you been f*cking."

"Which one?" Jesse said and winced silently as he heard the way it sounded.
Gail Mchugh
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok loved this book as well. I love strong characters that have a few flaws. The drinking I can take but the Jenn thing is getting to me. Macklin was nasty but I somehow did not mind Crow the Indian. I like Molly the dispatcher and Suitcase, Jesse's side kick. He sleeps with all these women but thank God the book is not full of gratuitous sex. And again with the Jenn business. I am no sure I can take her for much longer. But since I love Jesse and all the rest of the cast I shall persevere with h ...more
Lynette
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parker is just such a great story teller... this was really a fun story and well told. Jesse Stone is an interesting character, and I'm glad this is a series.
Janet Deaver-pack
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Parker sets up Jesse Stone for some serious trouble again in the town of Paradise. The author had fun developing the bad guys, and gave them nearly as much time as he did the good guys. I found Jesse's ongoing love interest and former wife Jenn tiring by the end of the book, and Jesse's consistently knightly reactions to her frustrating. Wanted to slap him and yell "Get over her!" The plot is tight, but I was put off by Parker's inattention to repeated words in paragraphs of description, sometim ...more
April
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Work from home 2020: book 31.

Book 2 in the Jesse Stone series, filled with dueling plotlines that alternated between Jesse’s relationship with his ex-wife, the connivance(s) of Jimmy Macklin and his crew, and eventually, Jesse’s interactions with Jimmy & “the situation.”

I feel like I missed out on a lot by not reading book 1 first, regarding Jesse’s relationship with his ex. Aside from that, though, no huge complaints. Overall rating probably around a 3.75 but rounded up to 4 for obvious reasons
Maria Johnson
Where in real life is it ok for a man to let the woman he loves sleep with everything that walks? I love Robert Parker, but every female in his books are weak whores. Did he have to deal with this in real life?
Mickey Knipp
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
No spoilers here but there also is no mystery as to who the bad guy is in this book.
Jesse is still the silent hero and all the ladies swoon over him. I still picture Tom Selleck when I read these books.
Teri Pre
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, series, oasis
I think Parker used to come across cool words then build sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes around those words.
Bonnie
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book in spite of the frequent use of the F word. In this one James Macklin, a career criminal, comes up with an elaborate scheme to rob the inhabitants of the wealthy enclave of Stiles Island as well as their bank.
Rich
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast read and a fairly good follow on to Night Passage. It is funny how well the casting people did with putting Tom Selleck in this role in the TV movies. He is the perfect Jesse Stone.
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Perhaps Robert B. Parker has written better books than Trouble in Paradise. I was disappointed enough with this --my first, I will never pick up another by him. The writing was bad, and the character development was weak - though I admit there was a little bit. The plot could have been great if it wasn't hidden behind all of the characters trying to decide who they want to have sex with.

The blurb on the back of the book should have tipped me off: "This book is so good, there's not enough R's in
 ☆Ruth☆
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I couldn't decide between and two star or a three star, but gave it the benefit of the doubt in the end. This was a disappointing book... I enjoyed the first one in the series a lot more. This one gets quite tedious in places - I'm getting very tee'd off with the peculiar relationship between Jesse and his ex-wife. Plus the ending was really a 'damp squib' in view of what was involved. I won't be rushing to read any more of these for a while, although I have thoroughly enjoyed the tv series whic ...more
Bart Hopkins
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book just minutes ago, and it was classic Parker and absolutely satisfying.

I was a huge Spenser fan, and a fan of Parker's Westerns, too. For whatever reason (Tom Selleck), I am only just getting to the Jesse Stone series.

I waited too long.

Fantastic book. Parker has a knack for building a relatable, heroic character who is flawed, but with a personal code.
Dee
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Jesse is busy checking out the girls some more. Somehow with his ex-wife Jenn on the scene it seems like he's doing a lot of bed hopping. Not my favorite picture of him. But probably true to life with many divorced men. The mystery is pretty involved and he is suspicious of the bad guy almost from the start. A high action story. Not my favorite of the Jesse Stone novels.
AZ Book Guy
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Decent story and good character development but trashy story line. I reserve 1-star ratings for unreadable books, books not finished. Completed this one so that accounts for 1 star out of the 2. Not recommended.
Milt Jacobs
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parker is one of my faves.
Sharon
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the series, it's an easy read and describes the flaws that are in a lot of us.
Krissy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I wanted! An unbelievably heroic, smart, handsome protagonist. Easy breezy fun, crime, a little sex. Just right to to take your mind off the stresses of the day.
Deborah
I am troubled.

People, and noticeably women, in this book are constantly talking about fucking. "Are you fucking him?" "No, I was fucking him last week. Now I'm fucking someone else." "OK, cuz I'm fucking him now." I don't object to fucking--fucking is fun. It's not the word fuck, either--fuck knows I can use fuck as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, interrogative, interjection, preposition, and intensifier, virtually every grammatical form of fuck at the drop of a fucking hat. But in all my year
The Library Lady
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-mysteries
Again, this series is far better than the Spenser books Parker was grinding out at this stage of the game, and this is a pretty good piece of work. Some notes:

1)Parker rarely, if ever, used other people's points of view in his Spenser books--aside from an occasional villain, as in Crimson Joy. Here he does that fairly often, and it allows for more character development and other world views. We don't like the villain here, but we can feel for his lady friend, as Parker lets us see her take on it
Christopher Troy
I haven't actually written a review of a book in a while, but this second Jesse Stone book prompted me to say a few words. Anyone who follows me here knows I have been addicted to the Spenser novels for the past year, close to having read them all. I have really enjoyed the first two Stone books - they are more serious in tone, with a likably flawed character as a contrast to Spenser, who is practically Superman, or so it seems sometimes. I really like the alcoholic, flawed protagonist - seems l ...more

• Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Cheap Shot (Spenser, #42)
  • Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Kickback (Spenser, #43)
  • Slow Burn (Spenser, #44)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #8)
  • Old Black Magic (Spenser, #46)
  • Robert B. Parker's Bull River (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #6)
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson Novel #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Little White Lies (Spenser, #45)
  • Robert B. Parker's Grudge Match (Sunny Randall Book 8)
  • Crossroad Blues (Nick Travers #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud (Sunny Randall, #7)
  • The Broken Places (Quinn Colson, #3)
  • The Ranger (Quinn Colson, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)

News & Interviews