Start by marking “Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)

Trouble In Paradise

(Jesse Stone #2)

Robert B. Parker and his legendary Spenser series have long been considered the ne plus ultra of detective fiction. But the critics' praise for Jesse Stone's debut in Night Passage proved there was room for an addition to the Parker literary canon. "A novel as fresh as it is boldParker's sentences flow with as much wit, grace, and assurance as ever, and Stone is a complex ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Jove (first published September 21st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble In Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble In Paradise

Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Parker vs. Parker?

Robert B. Parker cooked up an ex-convict named Jimmy Macklin who has an ambitious scheme to loot an entire island populated by some very wealthy people, and he recruits a crew to help him blow up a bridge, take out a private security force, empty a bank and then make a getaway by boat so it certainly seems like he might have taken a page out of Richard Stark’s novels about professional thief Parker.

However that’s where the similarities end. For one thing, instead of being a hum
William
I have mixed feelings about this book, #2 in the Jesse Stone series by Parker. There are many very good things: The pacing is mostly good; It's nice to see some familiar villains and heroes from Spenser's world; I like the characters of Jenn, Molly, Abby, Faye and the other strong women in the book. Healy and Belson make appearances briefly in the first two books, at least.

Note: The word "maroon" appears 9 times in this book. (Yes, it's a Parker oddity I've latched onto)

The plot is a bit formul
Janie Johnson
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is the second installment to the Jesse Stone series and also part of my series-a-thon for this year. So I want to stay on top of the series and read them when I can. I did enjoy this one more than the first one, but still not quite up to the 4 star rating.

Synopsis
I will give the synopsis on this book since the cases do not carry over from one book to the next.
Robert Parker's Trouble in Paradise imagines an old-fashioned tough guys' world where most of the women are summed up by their figure
Skye Skye
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A group of hardened criminals appear in Paradise about to reign havoc upon the town and island. It is a fast-paced read, and of course, Jesse is still struggling with his feelings towards his ex-wife complicating it with casual relationships and Scotch. This particular book highlights Molly more than in the past. It was an excellent read. Character sketches are wonderful, and Robert B. Parker is certainly fluent and knows perfectly how to deliver.
Gary
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Every punch is telegraphed, every single one.
Amanda McGill
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another good novel in the Jesse Stone series.

Jesse Stone is still the chief of police of Paradise, Massachusetts. There is a few minor crimes, but nothing too major, until Jimmy Macklin shows up. Jimmy is an ex-con who is all about the heist. He wants to take over the Stiles Island in Paradise Harbor, rob the people on the island and make a clean escape.

I don't find the series too spectacular, but it's a fun read. I enjoy the character of Jesse Stone, minus all of the women/love scenes. There a
Steve
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book and a good series, but not on the same level as Spenser to my eyes. Chief Stone is an upright guy, but not on the level on Spenser. Good plot in this one though about robbing a while island.
Gail Mchugh
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok loved this book as well. I love strong characters that have a few flaws. The drinking I can take but the Jenn thing is getting to me. Macklin was nasty but I somehow did not mind Crow the Indian. I like Molly the dispatcher and Suitcase, Jesse's side kick. He sleeps with all these women but thank God the book is not full of gratuitous sex. And again with the Jenn business. I am no sure I can take her for much longer. But since I love Jesse and all the rest of the cast I shall persevere with h ...more
Lynette
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parker is just such a great story teller... this was really a fun story and well told. Jesse Stone is an interesting character, and I'm glad this is a series.
Janet Deaver-pack
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Parker sets up Jesse Stone for some serious trouble again in the town of Paradise. The author had fun developing the bad guys, and gave them nearly as much time as he did the good guys. I found Jesse's ongoing love interest and former wife Jenn tiring by the end of the book, and Jesse's consistently knightly reactions to her frustrating. Wanted to slap him and yell "Get over her!" The plot is tight, but I was put off by Parker's inattention to repeated words in paragraphs of description, sometim ...more
Maria Johnson
Where in real life is it ok for a man to let the woman he loves sleep with everything that walks? I love Robert Parker, but every female in his books are weak whores. Did he have to deal with this in real life?
Teri Pre
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I think Parker used to come across cool words then build sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes around those words.
Rich
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast read and a fairly good follow on to Night Passage. It is funny how well the casting people did with putting Tom Selleck in this role in the TV movies. He is the perfect Jesse Stone.
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Perhaps Robert B. Parker has written better books than Trouble in Paradise. I was disappointed enough with this --my first, I will never pick up another by him. The writing was bad, and the character development was weak - though I admit there was a little bit. The plot could have been great if it wasn't hidden behind all of the characters trying to decide who they want to have sex with.

The blurb on the back of the book should have tipped me off: "This book is so good, there's not enough R's in
Bart Hopkins
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book just minutes ago, and it was classic Parker and absolutely satisfying.

I was a huge Spenser fan, and a fan of Parker's Westerns, too. For whatever reason (Tom Selleck), I am only just getting to the Jesse Stone series.

I waited too long.

Fantastic book. Parker has a knack for building a relatable, heroic character who is flawed, but with a personal code.
Dee
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Jesse is busy checking out the girls some more. Somehow with his ex-wife Jenn on the scene it seems like he's doing a lot of bed hopping. Not my favorite picture of him. But probably true to life with many divorced men. The mystery is pretty involved and he is suspicious of the bad guy almost from the start. A high action story. Not my favorite of the Jesse Stone novels.
Milt Jacobs
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parker is one of my faves.
Sharon
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the series, it's an easy read and describes the flaws that are in a lot of us.
Krissy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I wanted! An unbelievably heroic, smart, handsome protagonist. Easy breezy fun, crime, a little sex. Just right to to take your mind off the stresses of the day.
Deborah
I am troubled.

People, and noticeably women, in this book are constantly talking about fucking. "Are you fucking him?" "No, I was fucking him last week. Now I'm fucking someone else." "OK, cuz I'm fucking him now." I don't object to fucking--fucking is fun. It's not the word fuck, either--fuck knows I can use fuck as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, interrogative, interjection, preposition, and intensifier, virtually every grammatical form of fuck at the drop of a fucking hat. But in all my year
Christopher Troy
I haven't actually written a review of a book in a while, but this second Jesse Stone book prompted me to say a few words. Anyone who follows me here knows I have been addicted to the Spenser novels for the past year, close to having read them all. I have really enjoyed the first two Stone books - they are more serious in tone, with a likably flawed character as a contrast to Spenser, who is practically Superman, or so it seems sometimes. I really like the alcoholic, flawed protagonist - seems l ...more
Jenny
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, mystery
Silvio111
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Oh, dear, I am only halfway through this one and it is already irritating the heck out of me.

MUST WE have Jenn? This whole plot device makes me grind my teeth. Break up, already! You two are divorced. Enough already.

The other thing that really rings untrue are Jesse's thoughts about murdering Jenn's boyfriend.

The only consistently satisfying element is Jesse's ability to deal with young people. Yes, we know he is the strong silent type with adults, but his exchanges with the young juvenile delin
Danielle Gonzalez
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Jesse Stone series. Jesse seems to have become much more comfortable in his role as Police Chief. A gang of criminals has decided to pull a heist in an expensive area of town. Meanwhile, Jesse has found 3 teenagers that have burned down a house as part of a hate crime. The parents of two of the boys decide to unleash a war on Jesse, making it difficult for him to do his job. Meanwhile, his ex-wife is still in town beginning her own life. I liked everything about th ...more
Everydayreader1
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jesse Stone, small town police chief, is back to match wits with James Macklin, a criminal who kills as easily as most people breathe. Jesse is also still struggling with ongoing relationship problems with his ex-wife and other love interests in his rather complicated and unconventional life.

What draws me back to this Series is Jesse Stone. He's a tough guy. He's smart. He gets the job done. But he's really a softy at heart. Mostly, I think I like him so much because he's human and flawed.

James
P.K. Abbot
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second Jesse Stone novel that I have read in two weeks. I read Night Passage (#1 in the Jesse Stone series) last week.

Robert B. Parker is a wonderful story teller and a superb writer -- short, fast-moving chapters; colorful, appealing characters; and interesting story lines.

While these books are definitely thrillers, they don't rise to the same level of tension that a Patricia Highsmith or a Stephen King book might. Still these are two wonderful reads.

I breezed right through both bo
Jeannette
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having seen the TV movie starring Tom Selleck I anticipated reading the book which are usually more detailed. This book did not disappoint.

Jesse Stone character is filled with human characteristics which makes him both likeable and unlikeable. He struggles with drinking. He struggles with his relationship with his ex-wife. He handles his department and those accused of crimes with an insight into human behavior.

Evelyn Wilson
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-books-read
Well darn, this book was like Susan and Spenser. I don't care for Jenn dragging Jesse around by the nose. At least he acts like a Chief of Police.

Page 79 . . . Jen could never find her keys quickly, and when she did find them she never recognized one key from another, so more time ensured while she tried several in the lock before she got the right one. . . .
(this is like Susan and when she had her key problem - a Robert B. Parker thing)

John Strubhart
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to John by: Jesse Stone
Jesse Stone is back to thwart a robbery and kidnapping on an island near Paradise featuring explosions, murder, nut cases, Jesse getting some action, Jesse enforcing law and order, Jesse pining over Jenn (so pathetic) and, of course, Robert B. Parker's engaging writing and storytelling. Always a fun read with this guy and particularly this character. If you've read the first novel, you'll want to read this second one.
Mike Hovis
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t Put This Book Down

I’ve seen at least one of the Jesse Stone TV movies and decided to try reading a Jesse Stone novel. The result was a very enjoyable read. Mr. Parker is a good writer. His character, Jesse Stone, is a complicated character who is dealing with a drinking problem and an ex-wife who sleeps around but doesn’t want to lose Jesse. The book is fast paced and hard to put down.
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Passport To Peril
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
“walked out without a word. Fogarty nodded at Petrocelli,” 0 likes