Start by marking “26 Fairmount Avenue” as Want to Read:
26 Fairmount Avenue

26 Fairmount Avenue

(26 Fairmount Avenue #1)

Book by dePaola, Tomie
Published December 30th 1999 by Diane Pub Co (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about 26 Fairmount Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 26 Fairmount Avenue

Start your review of 26 Fairmount Avenue
Julie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, for-my-kiddos
PERFECT for my two five-year-olds.

Each chapter is a vignette. Each story is simple enough, real enough, silly or interesting enough with out every being facile.

Well balanced. Well written. Drawings on every page.

And it's autobiographical! Which is cool because I love Tomie dePaola and now I get to love him more.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys and girls who can appreciate stories about kids who lived in past times
This book has 9 chapters and 57 pages, not counting the 1 page author’s note. This is a perfect book for those just beginning to read chapter books and it also would work fine as a read aloud book, including and maybe especially for siblings of different ages.

This is DePaola’s first book in a series of illustrated autobiographical books, and he writes so engagingly. I got a kick out of so much, and particularly enjoyed a couple things about Tomie’s first day of school. Hilarious!

I’m sure I’d ha
Eileen W
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with my girls, ages 11 and 8. We love Tomie dePaola's books (like Strega Nona), and this one is about his life as a boy around the year 1940. My girls were excited to see Shirley Temple was mentioned. :-) We liked the little stories of his life. A nice, wholesome read.
Susan Mortimer
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 1-4
Shelves: lis-565
Tomie dePaola’s first installment in his autobiographical series is a delightful remembrance of his early childhood. Growing up in depression-era Connecticut, Tomie and his family experience many adventures as the family builds and moves into their first house. Tomie has a colorful family, and their escapades are told in a quick-paced format, while also allowing for the reader to come away feeling like they’ve gotten to know the family. As always, dePaola uses expressive illustrations, here blac ...more
Pam
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a glimpse into a family's life for about a year in the late 1930's. The author,Tomie DePaola, tells this story from a child's perspective, specifically as though he is peering back through his five year old eyes. It centers on his and his family's feelings of anticipation as they await their house on 26 Fairmont Ave. being built, and then finally their excitement of moving into this house they would have as a family for their remaining time of living together.
Though a simple story l
Rebecca
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was dePaola's first chapter book. Our family has read a number of his picture books, both the fiction and the non-fiction, and we absolutely loved reading more about his magical childhood. Now and then he would mention certain happenings that were the focus of his shorter pictures books, which was fun to finally read them in context. He has such vivid memories and tells them in a very entertaining way. I would say that, to my children, he is almost family. This book in particular has made m ...more
Elyse Hayes
Utterly charming memoir. I heard Tomie dePaola interviewed last year during a Catholic Library Association conference, and he pointed to this series of autobiographical books about his childhood as his favorites among his own books. Written as short "chapter books" for young readers, adults can enjoy them, too. (This is just the first in a series.) He captures the viewpoint of a child, and we get to see what a"live wire" he was as a child - impatient, and full of life and love for most of his re ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Very much for the younger reader, short and sweet. A good read-aloud with a child you love, it brought back memories of the "city's" arbitrary dealings in terms of roadworks or the lack thereof in the little rural town where I was born, and early memories of my mother's house being "finished" after a fashion by my dad and his cronies. I also remember being hauled out of a couple of Disney movies in disgrace--Cruella deVille traumatised me for life.
Natalie
Easy to read just not terribly exciting. Even if I was reading with a small kid I wouldn’t recommend this book. Not sure what makes it so special to win a Newberry Honor either.
Jane Maple
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie
A fun, easy read. The kids immediately asked for more “Tomie stories” so we’re hoping to get hold of the other books in the series!
Leighanna Wright
Summary: 26 Fairmont Avenue is written from the perspective of Tomie DePaola. Tomie is a five-year-old boy who can not wait to start school and move into his new home. However, disaster strikes when a hurricane hits the town Tomie lives in. This delays his new house being built. However, with many great friends and family members, Tomie's family builds the new house and they are able to move it.

Evaluation: 26 Fairmont Avenue is a great realistic fiction book that is also an autobiography. The m
Tatiana
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes an author's life provides perfect fodder for a book, better than anything that could be made up. Tomie dePaola has one of those lives.

26 Fairmount Avenue chronicles the year it took to build the dePaolo's new house. It also features snippets from Tomie's world of extended family, neighborhood kids, and school. Tomie's first day of kindergarten was by far the best thing I have read in years. The kid had GUTS.

I love the mood created in this short chapter book. I love that it's memoir;
Luann
I'm reading this aloud to all of my library classes, so by the end of this week I will have read it eleven times - not including the times I had already read it to myself. Tomie de Paola does such a great job of telling his story in a sweet, simple manner with the perfect amount of interesting details. My favorite chapter tells all about the first time he saw the first full-length animated movie, Mr. Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I love young Tomie's reaction as he realizes that ...more
Karen
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom, ellie, jacob
We listened to the audio of all the 26 Fairmount Ave books read by the author. We really enjoyed them over the summer 2014. We like to read everything by Tomie DePaola.

Read this book because we have an author access with Tomie DePaola on RAR next week. The kids loved listening to this book again. Jacob picked up another chapter book from Tomie right afterwards and read at naptime...krb 4/14/18
Mary Henson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Tomie dePaola describes the time in his life when his childhood home was built in this Newbery Honor book. The straightforward and often humorous chapter book includes numerous black and white illustrations in his distinctive style. DePaola's family lived in an apartment before his parents built his childhood home. His parents nurtured his artistic interests, even allowing him to draw large sketches of the entire family and extended family on the plasterboard before the plaster covered the walls ...more
Lara
The first of dePaola's series of early chapter books chronicling his life on 26 Fairmont Ave. As the very first in the series, it starts with the actual construction of the new house and ends with the family moving in. Each chapter is its own little story. It's sweet and simple (Tomie is about 4-5 years old in most of this volume's stories) and an interesting historic perspective, while still being relatable for kids today.

I shared the chapter about seeing Snow White in theaters with my YA book
Linda
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tomie (pronounced Tommy-I don't think I ever knew that) DePaola has been a favorite illustrator and storyteller in my years as a children's librarian. When he died this year, I decided to read the series "26 Fairmount Ave" in his memory. These are not his usual picture books even though there are many drawings. A charming series about his early life with family, friends, school, WWII. One sees where his ideas for his picture books and tales came from, especially "Tom", "Oliver Button is a Sissy" ...more
Michael Enright
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-study
26 Fairmont Avenue is an autobiographical novel written by Tomie dePaola, about his childhood growing up in Meriden, Connecticut. The book is centered around dePaola's upbringing in a very tight knit community with a extremely supportive and loving family.

This story is an extremely humorous and at times heartwarming story of Tomie dePaola's childhood. The story is very well written and Tomie's experiences of family gathering, hopes, disappointments, and funny encounters in his community and sch
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a Newbery Honor Book winner.

This is a chapter book - nine short chapters. The author wrote about his life in Connecticut when his family was preparing to move to the house they were building. He makes the story very interesting, capturing what his feelings were with disappointments when things kept happening to delay the completion and eventual move into their new house.
He told about the destructive hurricane of 1938, the same year they started building their house. He told about h
Penny
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute story! Not only do I love this author's works, but it was fun to hear about the details of his life leading up to moving into his family's home. It was definitely written as though told by a child, which added to the charm. He writes about experiences like the hurricane at the start of the book, and especially with growing up in New England, I can appreciate a lot of it.

Honestly, I never would have found this book if it hadn't been a part of our homeschool curriculum this ye
Hannah Elizabeth
Summary
The book "26 Fairmount Avenue" what a book about a little boy that had to move homes because of a hurricane that ruined his house. The story is told by the boy and you can hear and feel his emotions throughout the book.

Opinion
This would be a good book for a 2nd or 3rd-grade student during an independent reading time or throughout a lesson that is talking about natural disasters and how to process them emotionally.

Teaching Idea
As I had mentioned in another book review this book would
Hhcall
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
26 Fairmount Avenue is a partial autobiography about Tomie's life as a 3-5 year old. This enjoyable account includes some of the stand-out moments from young Tomie's life, most of which are sure to make you laugh. This is mainly centered around his family building a new home and the hiccups they had throughout the process. You get to learn a about his family and the live and support he had as a child, as well as his enjoyable and comical personality. This is an easy read, and a great way to intr ...more
Paul
Very enjoyable reading—his first chapter book—from the man known for his illustrations of very short children’s books. He was one of the first illustrators I noticed when reading to my young children. The book includes drama, light-hearted moments that had better draw at least a chuckle, family history, and more. There are nice illustrations throughout, but the gems are the small silhouettes that start and conclude each chapter. DePaola’s final note is an added benefit because it allows us to he ...more
Christy
Tomie's family starts building their new house at 26 Fairmount Avenue in 1938, just as a hurricane hits town, starting off a busy, crazy year. Tomie has many adventures all his own, including eating chocolate with his Nana Upstairs, only to find out--the hard way--that they have eaten chocolate laxative. He tries to skip kindergarten when he finds out he won't learn to read until first grade. "I'll be back next year," he says. When Tomie goes to see Snow White, he creates another sensation. Tomi ...more
Mona Ammon
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newberry, 2019
TITLE: 26 Fairmount Avenue
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK: It is a Newbery Honor Book
REVIEW: One of the things that tickled pink about this book is that it was set in CT and mentioned several CT towns. It also mentions places in Massachusetts and Long Island which are near CT. The main character, Tomie dePaola, yes this is an autobiographical story, is just so adorable. He is enthusiastic, sweet, determined, and bright. This audio book was read by the author. He naturally brought a vivacity and realism to
Rebekah Byson
This is a fun, quick read aloud. My kids may be a bit too old to really appreciate the wonder of the simple, everyday events that little Tomie describes.
But since I wanted them to be familiar with the art of Tomie dePaola, I decided to read this along with his Nana Upstairs Nana Downstairs, and his fairy tale Strega Nona.
I feel the subtleties of some picture book art can be lost on preschoolers. So I like to revisit those with my older children.
I likely won't read anymore in this series, but h
Bayou des Cannes Cajun
Enjoyable book. I would recommend this book to parents or grandparents as an appropriate book to read with children who will be moving into a new home. I would also recommend reading the book in sections over the span of a few days and discussing each challenge the family faces as their home is being built and how friends and family aid the dePaola Family as problems arise. I think it is a lovely story.
Cady
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-charlotte, 2017
Read on recommendation of my youngest daughter (age 7) who begged me to buy this book after reading it at school. Being a lifelong fan of Tomie DePaola's art and illustrated picture books, I was curious about what to expect with his first chapter book. 26 Fairmont Avenue is a sweet reflection of Tomie's childhood, with some really funny memories thrown in. Thoroughly enjoyed!
Sarah Middlestead
5⭐️s around from the kids.

Tomie dePaola’s autobiography...so funny! We loved seeing things we know about Tomie deP from his picture books expounded upon in this short chapter book. He’s one of our very favorite author/illustrators and this book made us love him even more. Excited for the next books in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Capyboppy
  • Egyptian Diary: The Journal of Nakht
  • Poppy
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2)
  • Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1)
  • The 5,000-Year-Old Puzzle: Solving a Mystery of Ancient Egypt
  • Hieroglyphs
  • Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
  • Hope Was Here
  • Lily's Crossing
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • Getting Near to Baby
  • Belle Prater's Boy
  • The Tarantula in My Purse and 172 Other Wild Pets: True-Life Stories to Read Aloud
  • Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) was best known for his books for children.

He had a five-decade writing and illustrating career during which he published more than 270 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.

Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, and the New

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)

News & Interviews